• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why the Camino is not for us? Is Camino de Santiago worth it? | Our final thoughts, tips and advice

Walking Nature World

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2018)
Why the Camino is not for us? Is Camino de Santiago worth it? | Our final thoughts, tips and advice

Watch the full video here:

In this video we want to share with you our final thoughts, tips and advice on Camino de Santiago del Norte that we started in Biarritz and finished in Ribadeo.

What was your experience with the Camino? Was it somehow similar? Let us know in the comments.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I find video to be such an inefficient way to exchange views or have a dialogue. If I understand correctly, the opinions that you expressed are as follows:

- The main concept of Camino is religious. We did not realize this until we did it. It's confusing because it has become commercialized.
- The stages are set up with a certain distance per day, which can be challenging or boring, because the purpose of the camino is to get to Santiago de Compostela as soon as possible.
- The distances that the camino tells you to do leave you exhausted every day. This doesn't fit with our preferred approach of walking, which is not to hurry but to take time to see all of the beautiful places on the way.
- By trying the Camino, we learned that there is no perfect way for everybody and you have to search for your unique way.
- We advise people who want to travel like us to use GPS navigation.
- Traffic pollution is bad but the places that the Camino del Norte takes you through are amazing. We'll be back to explore the area.
- Weather in September was perfect for hiking.
- We recommend you to hike the Camino del Norte, but take more time to do it - take two months at least. Or do part of it if you don't have so much time.

I agree with your conclusions that (1) each person must find his/her own way to walk the camino (2) walking the camino at your own pace is rewarding, and (3) people with less time can have a rewarding camino if they choose an appropriate part of the camino rather than trying to do more than is comfortable for them.

It's funny, though, because for most of the video, I felt that you were heading to the opposite conclusion (i.e. "Here's why camino is not for us" rather than "Here's why we'll be back and here's how we'll do it next time."). And I disagreed with so many of your premises - For many people, the camino is not a religious activity, and it's not about getting to Santiago as quickly as possible (if it were, we would fly there).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with @Raggy that it is hard to have a forum conversation with a video. We can't quote you and respond to particular points very easily.

I understand that the camino is not for everyone, and is not the preferred type of hiking trip for everyone. However, I am a little surprised about some of the assumptions or misunderstandings. To start, did you never hear beforehand that the Camino has religious origins!

While the objective for pilgrims is to reach Santiago, there is no absolutely nobody suggesting that it should be done "as fast as you can."

Another misunderstanding is in your references to "they have" or "they tell you to do" stages of specific distances. There is no "they" that organizes the lodging across the country. At least on the Camino Frances, there is lodging every 5-10 km for most of the way. The only people telling others what to do or walk are the random people you ask. Even guidebooks usually point out that their stages are only suggestions. If you read this forum, you will learn that most of us do not follow rigid stages on our walks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find video to be such an inefficient way to exchange views or have a dialogue.
I agree with @Raggy that it is hard to have a forum conversation with a video
This is why I haven't bothered even watching this video post or any of @Walking Nature World other video posts. Sorry. This is a text based forum. (as are forums in general) Perhaps you are trying to increase your YouTube audience?

In this video we want to share with you our final thoughts, tips and advice on Camino de Santiago del Norte that we started in Biarritz and finished in Ribadeo.

What was your experience with the Camino? Was it somehow similar? Let us know in the comments.

Some interesting thoughts, which of course I respect.
Perhaps you set out with expectations that were not really aligned with walking a Camino?
A core focus for you seemed to be photography/videography....

I am currently on the Camino Frances. I feel that the experience is good overall but there have been a few bad things that have happened along the way. I have run into many people with personal issues and at first I tried to be social with these kinds of people. But I learned after a few days to try to stay clear of them. One in particular began to display creepy stalker-type behaviors after I nicely told them that we needed to walk separate paths after walking together the first few days. That was very weird and almost derailed my Camino experience. Also, the snoring and flatulence in some alburgues has been nearly unbearable. The walking was hard at first but got much better after a few days. My spirits were renewed after attending a mass at the Burgos Cathedral. This is the reason I came in the first place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Walking Nature World , your experience will be your experience but there are plenty of people here who will disagree with your assessment of it. What puzzles me is why you felt the need to keep going if it was so bad, and then to Vlog your experience of it.
If you ever come back to the Camino, walk at a comfortable pace, take what others tell you with a ton of salt, and find your own meaningful camino. Oh...and consider just walking, rather than trying to walk while at the same time recording the walking for an audience. Leaving our constructed personas is the most liberating aspect of the camino - and in filming yourself as you go, you lose out on that.

@Walking Nature World , your experience will be your experience but there are plenty of people here who will disagree with your assessment of it. What puzzles me is why you felt the need to keep going if it was so bad, and then to Vlog your experience of it.
If you ever come back to the Camino, walk at a comfortable pace, take what others tell you with a ton of salt, and find your own meaningful camino. Oh...and consider just walking, rather than trying to walk while at the same time recording the walking for an audience. Leaving our constructed personas is the most liberating aspect of the camino - and in filming yourself as you go, you lose out on that.
No offense, but I think there’s a general sense of one-sidedness on this forum that is mostly optimistic. I’m not saying it’s bad. But it’s only giving one side mostly. I think it’s fair to welcome criticism just as much as praise regarding the Camino. This would give everyone a clearer picture of what they’re actually facing when they come here. For example, I stayed in an alburgue last night near Burgos and a lady tried to cover her enormous flatulence with coughing all night. It was a very small room and it smelled so horrible. But on the bright side, no one in this place was waking up super early to start walking. So overall it was a pretty good night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Always look on the bright side of life!

I'm on holiday and the Norte Camino is all around where we are staying. Driving around by car we see lots of pilgrims trudging along roadside paths. One could ask why they find enjoyment doing that, but those of us Camino walkers understand it well.
I met and chatted to a lovely English pilgrim yesterday on the Somo to Santander ferry. He said you can't really explain the Camino walking experience to those who have never walked a Camino. So true.
Some walk and wish to visit all the sights en route others want to walk the old pilgrim paths to Santiago and just absorb the experience.

Always look on the bright side of life!

I'm on holiday and the Norte Camino is all around where we are staying. Driving around by car we see lots of pilgrims trudging along roadside paths. One could ask why they find enjoyment doing that, but those of us Camino walkers understand it well.
I met and chatted to a lovely English pilgrim yesterday on the Somo to Santander ferry. He said you can't really explain the Camino walking experience to those who have never walked a Camino. So true.
Some walk and wish to visit all the sights en route others want to walk the old pilgrim paths to Santiago and just absorb the experience.
I couldn’t agree more, Fleur. I am an optimistic person. But I’m also practical. And I don’t like to look at things with rose-colored glasses to the point that I’m hiding real truths from myself and others. This is my first Camino and there were days I wanted to quit because my feet hurt so badly, or because half the people I passed and spoke to on a 20K hike totally ignored me, or because of many other reasons. But if I balance the good with the bad, the good wins out and that is why I have kept going. Overall, I love the Camino and I will always remember the good with the bad in a positive and honest way. I think it’s every pilgrim’s responsibility to “tell it like it is” and not “sugarcoat” everything. The Camino is hard, bad, good, and wonderful all at the same time, and this is unique beauty of it, in my opinion.

Another very real experience I’m having right now: in the bar where I’m having breakfast, a person’s backpack right next to mine reeks of the worst body odor you’ve ever smelled. But the food here is very good.
Hi Maxwell,
I'm afraid your post re the body odour made me chuckle...as did as the post above re the flatulance.....
Really no different to being off the Camino
Ever been in a crowded space with no escape...bus ,train,plane when these real experiences occur....straight faces all around!!
Glad you are enjoying the food though
Best wishes
Annette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No offense, but I think there’s a general sense of one-sidedness on this forum that is mostly optimistic. I’m not saying it’s bad. But it’s only giving one side mostly. I think it’s fair to welcome criticism just as much as praise regarding the Camino. This would give everyone a clearer picture of what they’re actually facing when they come here. For example, I stayed in an alburgue last night near Burgos and a lady tried to cover her enormous flatulence with coughing all night. It was a very small room and it smelled so horrible. But on the bright side, no one in this place was waking up super early to start walking. So overall it was a pretty good night.

Very true!
Those of us who enjoyed the experience, often over multiple Caminos come here to 'engage' with others about something that was and remains a very important element in our lives.

If I had hated the experience, would I be on this Forum? I doubt it.

But whilst opinions will often appear overly positive and perhaps one-sided, they are usually expressed in a way that is attempting to be helpful, that so that those who have not had a great experience, or are perhaps currently undergoing a bad experience on the Camino can gain some support and another perspective.

Of course there are the occasional 'plonkers' who are just abrupt, too opinionated, and some times rather insensitive! But every community has those :oops: ;)

Reflecting on my own Caminos........

Did I enjoy every moment or even every day? No
Did I meet some people I did not like? Yes.
Did I hurt? Yes. most of the time.
Did I feel like giving up? Yes, frequently.
Was I lonely. Yes, frequently.
Did I become down heartened and miserable? Yes. And I admit I cried a couple of times.

But......
Did the wonderful outweigh the bad? Yes a hundredfold.
Did I meet some great people? Yes, 95% were great.
Did I enjoy myself? Yes immensely.
Did I feel a sense of achievement? Yes, every day.
Do I think I am a better person as a result? Yes. I know I am.
Did I find my true self, my purpose, God, the meaning of life? Yes and much more.

The Camino is like life. Some of it sucks.
Some of it really sucks!
But I think like in life.........we find what we truly seek......

We just need to ignore that curtain of superficiality we sometimes live in, and dig a bit deeper......

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

In return you are here given good advice from experienced Camino walkers, that perhaps you yourselves should consider going forward: Take the Camino as it is, not as you expect it to be. Don’t walk it in the manner “they” expect, do it the way you want to. And last but not least…

Oh...and consider just walking, rather than trying to walk while at the same time recording the walking for an audience. Leaving our constructed personas is the most liberating aspect of the camino - and in filming yourself as you go, you lose out on that.

Buen continued Camino.

We just need to ignore that curtain of superficiality we sometimes live in, and dig a bit deeper......

Funny example.
I flew back overnight from Bangkok last night.
Economy (no air miles upgrade this time)
9 hours, arriving at 6 am.
I had a full day of work to do today and desperately wanted to get at least 3-4 hours sleep.
I was right at the back of the plane, in a middle row of three.

As we settled in the middle seat was empty.
I remarked to the passenger across the empty seat, on the other aisle seat.......
We might be lucky and have an empty seat here!

Fat chance he said.........

One of the last passengers to arrive was 'Frank'
He was huge, in a t shirt and shorts.
He slumped down in the middle seat, 'spilling over the arm rests'
G Day mate, says Frank.
My first time out of F ing Australia.
F ing hate these planes!
Can't sleep on them.
I'll just watch movies and drink F ing beer all night!
I'll just need to get out every couple of hours for a Pee.........

Great............

By the time we had taken off Frank and I were buddies, and I knew all about his trip, his job, his car, his football team.

Whilst I was desperate for sleep, there was no point in being upset about the situation.
I would just 'nap' when I could.
Of course Frank was so big, every time he moved to get his beer, grab some snacks, change the channel scratch his nose........I was woken up with a dig in the ribs.

It wasn't Frank's fault. He was a big guy, not used to long flights, and drinking beer and watching Movies was his way of coping with it.

After each trip to the galley for a Pee and more Beer, Frank would dump some snacks on my tray table.
Here you go 'Bro'

I think I got 2-3 hours napping.
And an extra hour when I got home.
And I got my work done.

And hey..........I got to meet my new 'bro' Frank too..........
Seems we have a similar taste in movies ;)

Truth be known, I would 'not' have reacted to the situation like that prior to my first Camino.......

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At one time typing "Camino Santiago" into Google brought up an article by Francis Tapon titled "10 Reasons Why El Camino Santiago Sucks" in the first 5 results. It has now dropped down a few places in the list. His
argument was basically (1) I like wilderness trails and (2) the Camino is not a wilderness trail and therefore (3) the Camino sucks. I have no problem with people reaching the conclusion that the Camino is not for them. But I think that a great deal of disappointment can be saved by some fairly basic research and considering what exactly you hope to find in your travels. For example to object to overtly religious elements on a pilgrimage route seems a tad unreasonable. :rolleyes:

At one time typing "Camino Santiago" into Google brought up an article by Francis Tapon titled "10 Reasons Why El Camino Santiago Sucks" in the first 5 results. It has now dropped down a few places in the list. His
argument was basically (1) I like wilderness trails and (2) the Camino is not a wilderness trail and therefore (3) the Camino sucks. I have no problem with people reaching the conclusion that the Camino is not for them. But I think that a great deal of disappointment can be saved by some fairly basic research and considering what exactly you hope to find in your travels. For example to object to overtly religious elements on a pilgrimage route seems a tad unreasonable. :rolleyes:
When I first googled the camino after seeing the movie "The Way", I read that guy's list of why the camino sucks as it popped up first. I was excited because all of his reasons were exactly the very reasons I thought "I can do this" and it gave me some confidence!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Maxwell,
I'm afraid your post re the body odour made me chuckle...as did as the post above re the flatulance.....
Really no different to being off the Camino
Ever been in a crowded space with no escape...bus ,train,plane when these real experiences occur....straight faces all around!!
Glad you are enjoying the food though
Best wishes
Annette
I chuckled too, Annette, but for those with a life partner, a friend of mine once called the marriage bed "the fart sack"...now that really made me laugh! 😂

What I don’t understand is: How on earth did you get to start the Camino without realising that it was fundamentally a religious pilgrimage? Nor do I understand why it was such an issue for you. I am, depending on the day or the season, either an atheist or an agnostic and dislike most intensely all organised religions. None of which got in the way of my absolutely loving the camino and the people I met along the way - some of them religious, many of them not.

I walked the Norte for 6 weeks in 2016 (Sep-Oct) with two girlfriends. We started in Irun and headed west. Would 8 weeks have been better? Absolutely. Regardless, while we followed the arrows, we did not stick to the recommended stages each day. In fact, our walks tended to be shorter, therefore, we never felt there was a bed race at the end of the day and with the exception of a couple of longer days, we were not exhausted each evening. We took our time, had some rest days in various villages/cities and yes, we took public transportation to avoid walking through industrial sections and when one of my walking partners had blisters so bad, we needed to giver her a break. Though many consider it a religious walk, for us it was more of a reason to see a country at a slow speed while enjoying its cuisine and culture. I would love to make this walk again with more time to soak in the absolutely beautiful vistas and quaint villages along the way. The Camino is what you make it. One doesn't have to start anywhere in particular (one pilgrim we met walked out of his front door in Switzerland and just kept walking) nor does Santiago have be your final destination. The Norte is a beautiful walk. Take a week or two, or three, or ten and just walk a section of it. I promise, it will deliver.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are correct, there are many challenges including who you may be sharing a room with each night. But in the end, we remember the glorious part of the journey and tend to laugh off the negatives. Like the flatulence and the snoring which may have occasionally left us sleepless, we all got a good chuckle over it later.

Hi I Am Part way through my 3rd Camino (mix of Portuguese costa, central and littoral) and it is different from my second (VdpP) and 1st ( Frances). I wonder how much each reflects where I was ie my state of mind when I started. I, too, am very aware of the number of injuries around (seems like everyone but I guess it can’t be) and the rush to get a bed and to get the plane, and I am struck that it’s hard to get money out without paying a charge at the ATM and it seems to be raining more than before. Then again, I am trying to grow and learn from it all, how to be more myself, more understanding, and get a balance. Did I mention how unbelievably stunning the landscape is?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very true!
Those of us who enjoyed the experience, often over multiple Caminos come here to 'engage' with others about something that was and remains a very important element in our lives.

But whilst opinions will often appear overly positive and perhaps one-sided, they are usually expressed in a way that is attempting to be helpful, that so that those who have not had a great experience, or are perhaps currently undergoing a bad experience on the Camino can gain some support and another perspective.

Of course there are the occasional 'plonkers' who are just abrupt, too opinionated, and some times rather insensitive! But every community has those :oops: ;)

Did I become down heartened and miserable? Yes. And I admit I cried a couple of times.

But......
Did I find my true self, my purpose, God, the meaning of life? Yes and much more.

Some of it really sucks!

I think you really summed it up just about perfectly. For me I haven't yet found the meaning of life or my purpose except to take one step at a time. I hope I never do ;).

I am sorry you had the ideas or impressions about what you must do or what you should do or what the meaning of the Camino is. I also believe, based on what you said that the most important thing about the Camino was what you captured in your camera. If you are on a pilgrimage that should be at the very bottom of your list. I don't know if you spoke to many pilgrims regarding the reasons why they walk. I am sure you would have gotten a much different impression about the Camino and the power it has for so many of us. I walked the Norte and you are correct it can be difficult and there can be road walking and that can be a drag. But every time I walked up a steep hill in the morning and cursed it or walked along a road that sucked as soon as I got to the top of that hill or found myself on a tranquil path those memories disappeared instantaneously. As Trecile pointed out it maybe you posted here for a reaction or to get more followers. I hope it is not true. Buen Camino.

This is why I haven't bothered even watching this video post or any of @Walking Nature World other video posts. Sorry. This is a text based forum. (as are forums in general) Perhaps you are trying to increase your YouTube audience?
I think there could be quite a bit of truth about their YouTube audience. I hope we are both wrong though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If they are trying to increase their audience, they’d best learn how to capture decent audio. I tried watching the video but could hardly make out a word they were saying due to the awful audio. Anyone who knows video will tell your that the best video will be ruined by bad audio.

If they are trying to increase their audience, they’d best learn how to capture decent audio. I tried watching the video but could hardly make out a word they were saying due to the awful audio. Anyone who knows video will tell your that the best video will be ruined by bad audio.
Yep, I tried watching it, too, but stopped after just one minute due to the bad audio.

Sadly, it appeared to me that these folks periodically make a new thread with a link to a new video and rarely come back to the forum. The one and only video of their's I watched was of them early in their Norte walk, taking down their tent and packing up. They pose questions in their OPs that strike me as contrived to get people to watch their videos. Everyone has to make a living somehow, I wish them good luck.

As @Robo says, the camino can really suck ...

... when can I go again?

I couldn’t hear your voices clearly because of background sound.

I always thought the use of “pilgrim” was a bit of a tip off that there may be a religious component to the walk...
lol....
That and that it is called "the way of Saint James", or perhaps that the ending point is at a Catholic cathedral, and then there's a Christian cross symbol on most of the merchandise, sellos etc associated with it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have no problem at all with the OP's opinion of their experience, or their filming and YouTubing. I do take issue with their statements that are simply misinformed and incorrect, and the fact that they posted so often without apparently ever reading the forum content that would have informed them. The friendly requests for comments and feedback then seemed false.

Having said all this, they still seemed like a nice and reasonable couple who are doing some interesting adventures. They just need a bit of work on their communication and viewer engagement strategy!

and no one knows better than my pal Tom.

They ask for comments, presumably on their channel. They have not looked back at the forum since they posted this. We are talking to each other! Buen camino, pilgrims.
I went to
They ask for comments, presumably on their channel. They have not looked back at the forum since they posted this. We are talking to each other! Buen camino, pilgrims.
i wrote my thoughts here and went to their site and wrote this: ( Very similar of course)

As someone who has walked this Camino and 5 others I believe much of what you wrote is inaccurate and needs clarification to say the least. I saw your post and video on the Camino Forum. Firstly and most importantly you stated that the most important thing to you was your camera and the images from it. There is nothing wrong with that at all. But if your purpose in walking was photography then you are not Pilgrims you are tourists that enjoy photography. Secondly, there is no book or guide that instructs you where you are to sleep. They are just suggestions to help you judge distances and the amount of time necessary to finish your walk. Often times one town is picked over another based on the availability of albergues and services. Yes, up until recently the Camino was a religious pilgrimage. I don't know how much about the history of the Camino you know but it is very interesting. I hope you spoke to many pilgrims along the way and found out why people walk now. For every 100 people you meet you will probably get 150 answers. I am glad that you learned to walk as you saw fit to walk. The Camino teaches us to listen to our bodies and that life is only the step we are taking at that moment. But please do not be critical of the Camino as you walked only to enjoy the scenery and to visit historic towns. As I stated you are not Pilgrims you are tourists. So please present yourself like that. Be a tourist and enjoy what Spain has to offer all of us. I also believe that you are trying to generate income for your venture. That is fine and I have no problem with that. Please just be honest and open about that. Just do not be critical of something you were never truly a part of and I doubt ever really understood.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You know it's funny. When I went on my first Camino walk, I had only known of it for a month prior to going. It was a desire of the friend (catholic) I went with. I didn't really know what it was or what to expect. In fact, I had no expectations. I think because of that fact, I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was peppered with good and bad (most definitely mostly good). I returned home with a greater perspective on life, particularly, my life.
AND THEN...I found this and many other forums and facebook groups and WOW!!! Had I been exposed to this prior to my going I probably would have told my friend to go jump in the lake. I will be (God willing) making another trek to the Camino again next year. I have no doubt it will again be a new experience with both good and bad which does not bother me because I now know I can handle and deal with whatever comes. I did not nor do I intend to vlog, blog, etc. about my trip because it is for me. It is my journey. My journey and my reasons for going are different from the next person, just like this couple's experience is not that of anyone else and for them or anyone to try to imply that it will be saddens me. My advice would be to go and judge for yourself.

Thank you everybody for the feedback.

As we already answered to the member "It56ny" on youtube - we have never claimed to be pilgrims and probably didn't have a clear idea about pilgrimage in general before we start - we admit that. And our main motivation to do it was to explote this North part of Spain at the oceancoast.

And of course because filming is one of our passions we had to mention it in the video. We realize that Camino could be quite different if we didn't do it but for us it wasn't really an option. We feel like to us it's the best way to communicate with people is through video and we do it as best as we can. For the same reason we are not so active on the forum as our main focus is on video. But we still try to put our thoughts into words whenever we can.

We are really sorry for poor sound quality in this particular video. Only after while editing we realized that it's really bad and we unfortunately could do little about it. The mistake was to film too close to the ocean rush. In the future we'll try to avoid it as best as we can.

In the end we do support the thought that Camino is always different for everybody and everybody takes it for plenty of different reasons. And it's so hard to talk about other people not knowing them close enough so we just stick with our own conclusions.
As we said in the video we didn't mean to offend anybody and just shared our thought and feelings at that point of time. A lot of people may disagree with us and that is fine, we all can learn a lot from the discussions and arguments.

Nothing would stop us from doing another Camino in the future even the bad road parts because this is one of the best ways to know the country. And who knows maybe we'll have some different views and opinions after that.

May everyone be at peace with themselves and know his own right way. Buen camino and hope to continue talking.

The simple truth is that the concepts of Hiking as such and "walking the Camino" have a very great deal of overlap, except that in their most fundamental senses they are radically different to each other.

Even though they are about 97% identical.

I have in my time come across quite a few people on the Camino, in Spain or elsewhere, who are hiking on exactly the same physical paths as we pilgrims do ourselves, and yet are walking in a completely alien space up in their heads -- and of course, the exact opposite is perfectly true as well from a pure hiker POV towards our own head spaces.

Having said that -- to approach the Camino (whichever route) from a pure hiker POV should probably be best done by making the basic assumption that refuges are not a given and that the "stages" proposed in guide books are no more than suggestions, not necessaries to follow.

Then organise prior to departure as you would on a different hike with less infrastructure.

So stuff like sleeping bags, possibly a tent, butane cooking gear + pots & pans, food supply headspace solutions, and so on and so forth.

The "non-pilgrim" hikers that I've encountered on the Camino have in some cases been happy with that more independent approach, although I think just as many have been quite happy with the infrastructures as they are ...

eh, but there's still the 2-3% of those attempting the Camino but then discover that it really is not their cup of tea.

And ? It's a non-problem.

The Camino simply isn't for everyone ; or perhaps it would be more accurate to suggest that not everyone in their heart really wants to do a Camino. And that's perfectly and completely fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And it's so hard to talk about other people not knowing them close enough so we just stick with our own conclusions.
Thanks for your reply, @Walking Nature World - you didn't have to do that. There's obviously a passion for visual media and sharing your experience through it. All good.
Many of us find deep connections with others along the way and could easily share about them - it's something that is magical about the camino, these deep and caring personal connections with virtual strangers. But sounds like something may be getting in the way of that for you.

So here's a thought. Maybe you can experiment and trade off - one of you going solo and without technology for the day, finding ways to connect with other people walking, without being in a 'couple bubble,' or having the filter of needing to communicate about it or record it. You may be surprised by a different experience.

Flatulance, snoring and body odour in a room with others are first world problems, we all do the first, majority do the second at some point and without chemicals we all are capable of the third.

I generally just have a little chuckle especially the snoring and flatulence cover ups while avoiding the body odour pilgrims.

Just don't see the point wasting energy on these behaviours, some people in the wide world would be ecstatic to have a bed and shower for the night.

Very true!

But......

Some of it really sucks!

Love what you wrote. Can I post to my Facebook?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I don’t understand why this couple feel that they should be bound by official stages. You don’t have to walk a set path or a set distance and if you want to “detour” to view a place of interest then there are no rules to stop you doing that!

I don’t understand why this couple feel that they should be bound by official stages. You don’t have to walk a set path or a set distance and if you want to “detour” to view a place of interest then there are no rules to stop you doing that!
It is surprising how many people do think that way though. I met an English woman out on the meseta on my last Camino Frances who expressed real surprise and a little shock that I wasn't following Brierley's stages and instead choosing my own daily distances. She actually asked me "Are you allowed to do that?" 🙄

Funny example.
I flew back overnight from Bangkok last night.
Economy (no air miles upgrade this time)
9 hours, arriving at 6 am.
I had a full day of work to do today and desperately wanted to get at least 3-4 hours sleep.
I was right at the back of the plane, in a middle row of three.

As we settled in the middle seat was empty.
I remarked to the passenger across the empty seat, on the other aisle seat.......
We might be lucky and have an empty seat here!

Fat chance he said.........

One of the last passengers to arrive was 'Frank'
He was huge, in a t shirt and shorts.
He slumped down in the middle seat, 'spilling over the arm rests'
G Day mate, says Frank.
My first time out of F ing Australia.
F ing hate these planes!
Can't sleep on them.
I'll just watch movies and drink F ing beer all night!
I'll just need to get out every couple of hours for a Pee.........

Great............

By the time we had taken off Frank and I were buddies, and I knew all about his trip, his job, his car, his football team.

Whilst I was desperate for sleep, there was no point in being upset about the situation.
I would just 'nap' when I could.
Of course Frank was so big, every time he moved to get his beer, grab some snacks, change the channel scratch his nose........I was woken up with a dig in the ribs.

It wasn't Frank's fault. He was a big guy, not used to long flights, and drinking beer and watching Movies was his way of coping with it.

After each trip to the galley for a Pee and more Beer, Frank would dump some snacks on my tray table.
Here you go 'Bro'

I think I got 2-3 hours napping.
And an extra hour when I got home.
And I got my work done.

And hey..........I got to meet my new 'bro' Frank too..........
Seems we have a similar taste in movies ;)

Truth be known, I would 'not' have reacted to the situation like that prior to my first Camino.......

My hat off to you! I HAVE done the Camino, but I would still have been annoyed as hell.

(By the way , wouldn't it have worked better to offer him your aisle seat? Or better still, hint at your other co-passenger to offer him HIS?)

but you didn't feel the need to make a click bait post about it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Nature World,
I enjoyed your video and your reflections! I hope people take the time to view it, I see you have only 777 views so far as I write this, so we can keep track :)

Thank you for posting and I think your views can help those who are not sure if Camino is the best way to explore nature. I thought that it was interesting in your comments about how the Camino keeps you moving along the path, I wonder if so many people would finish if it did not somehow keep a pace by spacing places to sleep and so forth (about 350,00 people a year over all paths complete each year). Having said that everyone on the forum hates the road walking and traffic pollution and it was an issue here and there for me too - along with at least 5000 cigarette packages of road side trash - the graphic images gave me anxiety the whole road route lol!

Thank you :))

Another very real experience I’m having right now: in the bar where I’m having breakfast, a person’s backpack right next to mine reeks of the worst body odor you’ve ever smelled. But the food here is very good.
I couldn’t believe how foul mine smelled as well!😖😖

You have been both misunderstood the stages and the purpose of the Camino Santiago.
It is not just a religious walk. People of all faiths or even people who are agnostic like myself do this walk. This is a personal journey not a competition to rush from one stage to another. You can take all the photographs you want and explore and spend time at any of the towns or in between towns or the scenes you want to enjoy and immerse yourself in.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You have been both misunderstood the stages and the purpose of the Camino Santiago.
It is not just a religious walk. People of all faiths or even people who are agnostic like myself do this walk. This is a personal journey not a competition to rush from one stage to another. You can take all the photographs you want and explore and spend time at any of the towns or in between towns or the scenes you want to enjoy and immerse yourself in.
I just have to ask if you watched their video before you posted?

our main motivation to do it was to explote this North part of Spain at the oceancoast.

To explote: a neologism conveying the separate concepts of exploration and exploitation, or just an unfortunate typo?

I just have to ask if you watched their video before you posted?
Of course. Otherwise how would I know what you said about being religious and the rush like a competition. And could not take the time to enjoy your experience on the stages.

Thank you everybody for the feedback.

As we already answered to the member "It56ny" on youtube - we have never claimed to be pilgrims and probably didn't have a clear idea about pilgrimage in general before we start - we admit that. And our main motivation to do it was to explote this North part of Spain at the oceancoast.

And of course because filming is one of our passions we had to mention it in the video. We realize that Camino could be quite different if we didn't do it but for us it wasn't really an option. We feel like to us it's the best way to communicate with people is through video and we do it as best as we can. For the same reason we are not so active on the forum as our main focus is on video. But we still try to put our thoughts into words whenever we can.

We are really sorry for poor sound quality in this particular video. Only after while editing we realized that it's really bad and we unfortunately could do little about it. The mistake was to film too close to the ocean rush. In the future we'll try to avoid it as best as we can.

In the end we do support the thought that Camino is always different for everybody and everybody takes it for plenty of different reasons. And it's so hard to talk about other people not knowing them close enough so we just stick with our own conclusions.
As we said in the video we didn't mean to offend anybody and just shared our thought and feelings at that point of time. A lot of people may disagree with us and that is fine, we all can learn a lot from the discussions and arguments.

Nothing would stop us from doing another Camino in the future even the bad road parts because this is one of the best ways to know the country. And who knows maybe we'll have some different views and opinions after that.

May everyone be at peace with themselves and know his own right way. Buen camino and hope to continue talking.
I liked your video! I support your expression of your views. If this "tone" you received here is any indication of the "tone" other pilgrims gave you along your walk - well . . . I would not leave it feeling great either ! But I hope you help others to think about the reality of the walking experience <3

Of course. Otherwise how would I know what you said about being religious and the rush like a competition. And could not take the time to enjoy your experience on the stages.
their youtube counter had not changed - so I just wondered

€83,-

It wasn’t my understanding or experience that the goal is to get to Santiago as quickly as possible. Just as well as I am a bit slow. I can understand wanting to go ‘off piste’ and not miss some of the places not on the path. I think it is not uncommon to go further afield. As an older woman walking on my own, I found the infrastructure and signposting along the Camino routes quite helpful. No shortage of beautiful places and interesting people. Perhaps not always many people on the Norte. I have walked a bit on the Norte, the Le Puy route and have walked the Camino Frances. Any 500 mile journey on foot will have challenges. It sounds like the journey had a silver lining for you as you discovered the area with your own approach.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that you were supposed to walk the Camino as fast as possible. This is not the way we walk it. In fact going at your own pace is what we recommend to everyone who asks us. And if you can't take the time to walk a whole route, then walk part of a route at your pace. I wish you well with future travel.

Very true!

But......

Some of it really sucks!

I needed to read this to remind me to focus on the good bits too. Am almost in Santiago and the hard painful days seem to stick in my mind more than the good stuff....

Very true!

But......

Some of it really sucks!

Robo, very true and very elegantly stated! El Camino is indeed “Camino de Vida”! A positive mind gives us purpose, equanimity, and energy to move forward and enjoy life of “ true Christianity “ of kindness, love and respect for others. No need to look for negative things, I prefer to use the energy to dig deep to see the beauty around us!

I haven’t yet walked the Norte. But I am grateful that I have learned to walk with a minimum of expectations and can find some joy in almost anything that happens by limiting my judging.
That is the key to happiness: limit your expectations of others and recognize one's own limitations. Everything else will fall into a beautiful place, if only one allows it.

I really believe that the Camino de Santiago is nothing for you.

It has even left me with a certain feeling of sadness.
I've seen it twice, to be sure I wasn't wrong ...
For sightseeing there are thousands of places on Earth better than the Camino. More comfortable, with more spectacular landscapes, better weather, better food, more amenities, even cheaper, although this is difficult.

You have talked about landscapes, the sea, nature, but not a single word of two things that differentiate the Camino de Santiago from anything else in the world: personal feelings and human contact.
No feelings and contact, the key, together with effort, self-improvement, friendship, companionship, solidarity, and, among other things, the time to rediscover yourself ... and others.

Turning something unique in the world into a tourist attraction for its immense humanity, forged on the basis of faith, physical pain, hunger, thirst, even death ... it is sad, very sad.

If Marcel Proust had done the Camino de Santiago, he would not have written A la recherche du temps perdu, but a guide to the Camino de Santiago and would have done that, to find ourselves and recover and understand the lost time, we would do the Camino de Santiago . If possible with less video camera and more contact with pilgrims and memories in the heart.
The latter, the memories in the heart, is what will keep us improving after we finish our Camino de Santiago.

All of the above is just my subjective opinion and could be wrong ...

Robo: sublime, unbeatable.

Last edited:
I needed to read this to remind me to focus on the good bits too. Am almost in Santiago and the hard painful days seem to stick in my mind more than the good stuff....

'Been there...done that'

On my first Camino, as my injuries and pain just got worse.
Two thoughts started to fill my day in the last 150 kms or so.......

(1) Will I make it ? and........
(2) This is becoming tortuous.

I was down to a snails pace, barely making 10 kms some days.

All the people I had met over the last 30 days or more were now far ahead of me.

I was beginning to feel more and more lonely and disheartened.
It would have been easy to slide downhill and 'ruin' the whole experience.

So I gave my self a metaphorical 'kick up the arse'........

I was just being selfish and wallowing in self pity.
I was 'here'. Many others would love to be, but couldn't.

So from Sarria on, I 'stepped up' and committed to really enjoying the last 100 kms.

I went into every open Church to give thanks for being able to continue the journey.
I made sure to talk to lots of the 'new' Pilgrims who joined from Sarria and met some amazing people who were truly inspiring.
And every day I would contemplate what this journey meant to me, what I had leaned so far, and what I would commit to changing when I got back home.

I loved the last 100 kms...........

The day after I arrived I took the bus to Muxia for a few hours.

And that's where I found closure.........and a new door opened.........

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back