• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why the hurry?

What ever happened to "Its your camino"?
When it is supportive;

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am going to take the time to read all comments when possible, for now let me just say: it had been a VERY! hot day when I posted, was supertired, and I mean nothing negative about those who like to walk long distances in a way.

I was pissed at the way those guys said "they could do it much faster", because it made it sound like a competition. They said they could do it in 4 days (Nijmegen-Saint Severin), and with the route I took that is impossible, even if you walk 40 a day. You would have to walk much more!

I wasn't pissed at anybody who goes fast, so let me hereby tell you all is well, and the initial comments really helped me get over my frustration too! I had not read the other ones yet.

I was pissed at the way those guys said "they could do it much faster", because it made it sound like a competition. They said they could do it in 4 days (Nijmegen-Saint Severin), and with the route I took that is impossible, even if you walk 40 a day. You would have to walk much more!
So, they were idiots.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are people who walk fast
There are people who don't
There are people who are thoughtful
There are people who aren't.

People will say all sorts of things, depending on where they fall in that matrix. The trick is to take what the thoughtless folks say as just thoughtless and nothing to do with you.

Good going, @Gwaihir , I'm glad all is well. And hopefully the weather is cooling down for you, finally.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That would occasionally be true, but please don't assume it.
Absolutely. I'm sorry that I may have "bragged" about walking from Hontanas to Poblacion de Campos. I walked that far for three reasons.
1. To put distance between myself and a particularly obnoxious pilgrim that was in my albergue in Hontanas
2. To stay at the wonderful La Finca albergue.
3. It was an absolutely beautiful day for walking on the Meseta with that huge bluest blue sky that went on forever, with fluffy white clouds that looked like they had been Photoshopped in, plus some good walking company along the way.

Last edited:
That's a great reply. I just smile when people let me know they walked 30 or 35 km that day. I think they want awe or admiration. I usually ask, "Why?"
I would definitely ask that if I would feel that they take it as some sort of special accomplishment.
I mean 30-40km, come on..., but 60 would be something ;)

Absolutely. I'm sorry that I may have "bragged" about walking from Hontanas to Poblacion de Campos. I walked that far for three reasons.
1. To put distance between myself and a particularly obnoxious pilgrim that was in my albergue in Hontanas
2. To stay at the wonderful La Finca albergue.
3. It was an absolutely beautiful day for walking on the Meseta with that huge bluest blue sky that went on forever, with fluffy white clouds that looked like they had been Photoshopped in, plus some good walking company along the way.
And for this answer you would get the widest grin I could produce :D

While thinking about which camino I was gonna walk this year, I read several threads on this forum. I came across a particularly wonderful description ("the metronomic crunch of shoes on gravel"), which kept resonating for days.

Then, I bumped onto this thread regarding different paces while walking el camino and this idea of different paces just defining a beautiful symphony emerged. I have nothing much to add to the thread. I just wanted to share with you this short video that illustrates beyond words the beauty of the combination of different rythms. To me, a fantastic metaphor of what emerges when different people walk its own way el camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While thinking about which camino I was gonna walk this year, I read several threads on this forum. I came across a particularly wonderful description ("the metronomic crunch of shoes on gravel"), which kept resonating for days.

Then, I bumped onto this thread regarding different paces while walking el camino and this idea of different paces just defining a beautiful symphony emerged. I have nothing much to add to the thread. I just wanted to share with you this short video that illustrates beyond words the beauty of the combination of different rythms. To me, a fantastic metaphor of what emerges when different people walk its own way el camino.

A warm welcome to the Forum, frontiers :)

When my wife and I walked the camino from SJPP to Santiago a few years back, we took 34 days (33 days walking and 1 rest day) which is EXACTLY how long that camino should take IMO :) (And NO, we did not follow the Brierley guide). But in the interest of this Forum Family, I will undertake the daunting task of completing a research project to determine what is the ULTIMATE camino. We will break this research project into the following categories:

Walking fast or walking slow;
Carrying a pack or having it transported;
Walking in the Spring, Summer, Fall, WInter;
Staying in albergues only or staying in private rooms/hotels

To get the combination of all these categories, if my math is correct, this research project will take 32 years (assuming 1 camino per year), so if you could all check back on this forum in 2051, I will gladly post the results. . .

:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just as there are people who prefer to hurry through life, meeting challenges others don’t understand, there are also people who saunter. Each has their own pace. One pace is not better or worse than the other. It’s just a personal preference and rhythm.

The only problem comes in judging. Why care how others live or walk the Camino as long as you have the freedom do do it at your own pace?

My concern is practical. I once decided to take a short day and the slbergue said they reserved first places for those who had hiked at least 20 km!! Now that’s an issue!!

Buen Camino no matter how you journey. It’s your Camino.

Wow, quite a thread!! But I learned something from all this: I rationally and logically believe strongly in the 'smell the roses' approach. But in reality, my inner self is quite competitive. So I want to get where I'm going early, I want to be respected for how fast I can walk (at the tender age of 70) and my logic flies away.

This past camino I was stopped by sciatica. I was the grasshopper and was forced to be a turtle. That was harder than the pain involved.

I'm trying to embrace my inner turtle these days in real life, but those old habits die hard.
Hi Priscilla
How is your sciatica now ? Did you kick it
It’s a real fun stopper
Buen camino
Annie. (Another tender oldie with the problem )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Priscilla
How is your sciatica now ? Did you kick it
It’s a real fun stopper
Buen camino
Annie. (Another tender oldie with the problem )

Hi Annie,

Yes, it was gone after a couple of weeks when I returned. No traces now. I now know that I'm too old to walk distances without stretching, especially when carrying a pack.

This was my second bout with sciatica, the first was over 6 years ago. A good chiropractor plus exercises made it go away then. This time I was in the process of moving to another city, so I didn't have a chiro, just did it with exercises and care. And naproxen (which was recommended over ibuprofen).

May yours be gone soon. I have a high pain threshold so this was as bad as it gets for me. May you be pain free soon and back out there doing what you love.

Blessings, Priscilla

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back