• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why The Spanish Eat Late

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
This has been mentioned before, but just thought I’d bring it up again for those who don’t know.
Spain lives in a different time zone to the rest of the world.
For example:
. . . . don’t expect the pharmacy to be open at 2pm (or 3pm or 4pm)
. . . . or be able to get a cup of coffee before you set off at 7.30am (in the dark)
. . . . or find a restaurant open at 6pm
This is the reason why:

(http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170504-the-strange-reason-spaniards-eat-late)
By Jessica Jones
8 May 2017

It is 10pm in the Madrid neighbourhood of La Latina, one of the city’s oldest areas, and the cobbled streets thrum with the sounds of people enjoying plates of gambas al ajillo (garlic prawns) and cocido Madrileño (a hearty chickpea, pork and chorizo stew). Restaurants are bustling at an hour when, in most other countries, chefs would be hanging up their aprons for the night.

While travellers might attribute Spain’s late mealtimes to the country’s laidback Mediterranean attitude, the real reason is a little more peculiar. Spaniards are living in the wrong time zone, and have been for more than 70 years.

Glance at a map and you’ll realise that Spain – sitting, as it does, along the same longitude as the UK, Portugal and Morocco – should be in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). But Spain goes by Central European Time (CET), putting it in sync with the Serbian capital Belgrade, more than 2,500km east of Madrid.

So why are Spaniards living behind their geographic time zone?

In 1940, General Francisco Franco changed Spain’s time zone, moving the clocks one hour forward in solidarity with Nazi Germany.

For Spaniards, who at the time were utterly devastated by the Spanish Civil War, complaining about the change did not even cross their minds. They continued to eat at the same time, but because the clocks had changed, their 1pm lunches became 2pm lunches, and they were suddenly eating their 8pm dinners at 9pm.

After World War II ended, the clocks were never changed back. However, in 2016, Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced that the government was working on a plan to implement a new workday schedule ending at 6pm as opposed to 8pm. One important element of the plan was evaluating the possibility of changing Spain’s time zone from CET to GMT – something that has sparked a heated discussion throughout the country.

Being 60 minutes behind the correct time zone means the sun rises later and sets later, bestowing Spain with gloriously long summer evenings and 10pm sunsets. Those who run Spain’s tourist resorts believe that more sunlight is a large draw for visitors. The regional government of the Balearic Islands ‒ which include Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza ‒ is strongly against returning to GMT and has even campaigned to maintain year-round summer time (CET+1) to allow visitors to take full advantage of the region’s mild winter climate.

But for many Spaniards, living in the wrong time zone has resulted in sleep deprivation and decreased productivity. The typical Spanish work day begins at 9am; after a two-hour lunch break between 2 and 4pm, employees return to work, ending their day around 8pm. The later working hours force Spaniards to save their social lives for the late hours. Prime-time television doesn’t start until 10:30pm.

Meanwhile, in the northwestern region of Galicia, the sun doesn’t rise until after 9am in winter, meaning that residents are starting their day in the dark.

“The fact that the time in Spain doesn’t correspond to the sun affects health, especially sleep,” said José Luis Casero, president of the National Commission for the Rationalization of Spanish Schedules, an organisation that has been campaigning for Spain to return to the correct time zone since 2006. “If we changed time zones, the sun would rise one hour earlier and we’d wake up more naturally, meal times would be one hour earlier and we’d get an extra hour’s sleep.”

Spaniards have traditionally coped with their late nights by taking a mid-morning coffee break and a two-hour lunch break, giving them the opportunity to enjoy one of the country’s most infamous traditions: the siesta.

Changing the workday would threaten Spaniards’ customary naptime, although whether or not citizens would mind is still up for debate. A January 2017 study by research company Simple Lógica found that less than 18% of Spaniards nap regularly, while nearly 60% never take a siesta. In fact, business owners in many of the country’s major cities and holiday resorts remain open during the midday break to cater to tourists.

Meanwhile, those who do nap express frustration when changes in their daily routine prevent them from sleeping mid-day.

“We should really banish the siesta in Spain because it doesn’t fit with reality,” Casero said. “And with the change of time zone bringing meal times forward and giving us an extra hour of sleep, there would be less need for a rest at midday.”

When it comes down to it, economist Nuria Chinchilla, an expert in work-life balance at the Instituto de Estudios Superiores de la Empresa business school in Barcelona, feels that quality of life for Spaniards is more pressing than preserving an extra hour or two of evening light for tourists.

“We have continuous jetlag,” she said. “Tourism will always be there and tourists don’t care. The number of hours of sunlight will be the same, whether it is an extra hour in the morning or in the evening.”

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Jsalt, congratulations on a very well researched and presented article. I have experienced that sun rise after 9.00 am. Back in 2015 I cycled the camino in September. My return to Madrid was scheduled for the last day of Sept; I took the 9.20 am train (or there abouts) and I recall that we were about 10 or 15 mins east of Santiago when the sun rose.
I don't know about the health affects but I do recall reading that the large business houses in Germany (and to a lesser degree France) do not understand the siesta concept. Just an aside - apparently the concept of siesta came to Spain (or Iberia as they knew it) with the Romans. They considered it was too hot to do any work in those two hours after high sun (noon) especially down south. Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My Spanish colleagues really struggle with the late hours. Long lunches don't do much to counterbalance the long days when you work far from home - no one actually naps, they just hang out or just continue working. It makes if hard on the family, hard to have a life outside of work.

We struggle with this living in Santiago...afternoon activities often don't start until 5pm in order to give time for people to eat lunch and have a siesta, so our son (junior higher) has soccer practice from 8pm - 9:30pm (after all the younger kids have had practice), and the older kids have practice from 9:30 - 11pm! School then starts for them the next day at 8:45am. It's a squeeze to get in dinner, shower, and a good night of rest and the kids are often playing in dark, windy, cold and rainy conditions since it's later on in the day.

I completely agree with this quote from the article: “We have continuous jetlag,” she said. “Tourism will always be there and tourists don’t care. The number of hours of sunlight will be the same, whether it is an extra hour in the morning or in the evening.”

Definitely watching with interest how the proposals of Rajoy and the National Commission for the Rationalization of Spanish Schedules :) go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have learned from direct experience and much reading about Spain that they will study the issue to death and come up with excellent ideas and suggestions. Then, they will continue to do things the "way they've always been done..."

Why you ask? Well, MY view is that it is just part of the contrary and wonderful society that is Spain. When faced with a logical, sensible choice (say to a northern European or North American) they will shrug and revert to traditional form and practice.

It is not a good thing or a bad thing. But, it is a Spanish thing. Eccentricity is good!

Viva España!

P.S. If you are visitor in Spain, e.g. not someone actually born there, you are a guest. I recommend learning to go with the flow and enjoying it while you can, before you return to your work-a-day world...

Just back from Normandy and they have the same problem there.
When the Germans occupied France in 1940 it was more convenient (for various unsavoury purposes) to have the railway time tables coordinated to the time in Germany. France never changed back.
If you look at a map of time zones you'll see that Paris falls under GMT (although they'd never admit it ;))
It amused me, on the Camino Portuguese in 2015, to jump an hour when crossing from Portugal into Spain simply by crossing a river.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't know about the health affects but I do recall reading that the large business houses in Germany (and to a lesser degree France) do not understand the siesta concept.
It’s easy for those of us livng in the right time zone formour geography as well as cooler climates not to understand how unbearably hot the days can be in Spain, in particular in the south of Spain, making going about one’s day very difficult, especially for those working outdoors, or not having the monies to pay for expensive electricity to run the A/C all day and night.

But the truth is that even Spaniards struggles with the split day schedule, especially now that women work out of the house. If it weren’t for grand parents looking after the grand children in the after noons things would be even more difficult.

Who has time nowadays to come back home from work to eat and then go back to work? Easy if you live and work in a village, but not so if you commute to work. And the children? What is one supposed to do with them in the afternoon while parents go back to work until well into the evening?

This is an issue frequently discussed in Spain and change will have to be made to allow people to live more balanced lives.

What is good for the village is not so good for the urban professional. What is practically a necessity in the south is really not in the north. Just getting Spain back out of alignment with Germany’s time zone would be a first and important step, because this affects things much more important than what time one will go out for a few pinxos.

Hola Momonne : having lived (I all of my life) in a country where the temperatures regularly exceed those of Southern Spain the concept of an afternoon nap is (imho) more a cultural event. Around 75-80% of the Australian continent (but not necessarily the population) regularly experiences temperatures in the high 30's (90+F); 40's are common,even 45+ and maybe its just that we developed with a British culture (as against the Roman one) that we did not adopt the siesta. I will also say that many of our houses do have aircon; our newer ones are also architectually designed for the climatic events we experience.
I have read the posts here (above) and other reports and whilst I would suggest that the western half of the country (Madrid/Sevilla/Santiago) would benefit from the change back to GMT (London time) I am not holding my breath waiting for this change. Pilgrims just grin and bear it!!

I am not sure if this custom here in Spain comes from Franco´s decision (IMO probably not), but I like it because I take advantage of it.
At home, I have lunch at 13:30h and dinner at 20h, that it is the opening time for most restaurants here in Madrid, so when I go to a restaurant I am usually the first and don´t have to wait.
On my Caminos, I start walking at 8 and almost always arrive on time to have menu del dia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just love Spanish hours and miss it when I come back to France or England. The evening doesn't end at 9 pm, it is just starting! And such animation in the streets from about 6, people start going out, even in Winter. In the UK the (small) town where I live goes dead after 5/5.30 pm....
The eating hours suit me too. I guess it isn't to everyone's taste.

Admittedly I remember being quite exhausted when studying in Spain, late nights - dinner used to be at 10 pm - and early morning starts: first lecture was at 8 am. You get used to it!

I haven't heard any Spanish people complaining about it though...

As for being a walking pilgrim in Spain, I noticed the Spanish people are going out of their way to provide evening meals at 'pilgrim hours', ie between 7 and 8. Never found it a problem. :)

Last edited:
I will also say that many of our houses do have aircon; our newer ones are also architectually designed for the climatic events we experience.

That was one thing that my teenage son found really hard to fathom on our July/Aug pilgrimage - how air conditioning could not be ubiquitous in that climate in the 21st century.

David, show him this and your own electricity bill sp he can figure what it would cost you at Spanish rates.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html

Love this!
I have a small flat in Spain and we're only there maybe one week a month if that.... and usually only me or two of us. My electricity bill is HUGE compared to what we pay in the UK for a much larger house with a lot of people in it! And the UK isn't cheap.... I don't think :confused: Same with the phone and internet bills. Oh... and water!
Spain does seem cheaper in terms of accommodation, food and public transport when you visit. It is VERY expensive in other ways, for people who live there... Really :)
And yes, I had a/c installed, most people don't but I am very careful how I use it....

Last edited:
Anyway, I realise my previous post was off topic, sorry.

I just wanted to say that from my experience of walking in other countries, Spain doesn't fare badly! In France (my home country), you'll be hard pressed to find food after 1pm. (My experience on the Via Francigena, obviously not in Paris ...)
In Italy last Summer, there were long stretches which meant I only arrived by 1 or 2 pm.... Everything was closed. Too late for a restaurant meal, too late to buy stuff in a supermarket (they close at 12 and open around 4).
Just saying :)

David, show him this and your own electricity bill sp he can figure what it would cost you at Spanish rates.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/average-electricity-prices-kwh.html
That was interesting, Momonne. It's a bit of a shock to see that Spain is comparable to Australia!
It makes you wonder, with all those wind generators cluttering the skyline, not to mention the truly spectacular solar power station near Seville, which I believe was the biggest in the world until California upped the ante.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And on the time zone discussion, as a retired teacher I've often wondered how the school children, (and their teachers for that matter), cope with the late hours.

That was interesting, Momonne. It's a bit of a shock to see that Spain is comparable to Australia!
It makes you wonder, with all those wind generators cluttering the skyline, not to mention the truly spectacular solar power station near Seville, which I believe was the biggest in the world until California upped the ante.

I read a survey published in a Spanish newspaper some months back about how taxes are levied in Spain. Energy supplies, gas, electricity, heating oil, etc., are the HIGHEST taxed commodity across the Spanish economy, as a percentage of actual volume of product used. Taxes levied on energy are higher than on retail items, medical expenses, durable appliances, cars, housing, property taxes, or even income taxes (at the lower income levels).

So, for example, if you pay 21 percent VAT, or another user fee based tax, you very likely pay a higher rate, all-in, for your energy use. The reason, I suspect has less to do with the cost of doing business and providing the commodity (energy) to end users, that it does with cynical government policy (IMHO).

Everyone uses energy. Without buying energy, you would have to be living in the 1870s, using wood for cooking and heating, and candles or lamp oil for lighting. Forget about electric lights, flush toilets, running water or petrol powered vehicles. And Wi-Fi, fuggetaboutit!!!:eek:

Hence, as the government has a need to obtain funds for its many and varied purposes (without editorial from me) it conveniently imposes the greatest rate of taxation on the one commodity that ALL people living in Spain, regardless of residency status, must consume to live, at least to some modern standard.

So tourists, pilgrims, illegal aliens, students from abroad, retirees (snow-birds) from the UK, and full-time Spanish residents and citizens all pay "through the proverbial nose" for the privilege of having modern conveniences. As I said earlier, it is very clever, albeit cynical (again IMHO).;)

It is actually a clever scheme. But, it fully explains why you will commonly find lavadoras (washer) at many albergues and hostals, but almost never a secadora (dryer). Even if you can find coin operated machines in a town, like in Santiago, the dryers are as expensive as the washers. This is only a nuisance when you are walking in cold, wet weather and cannot get your hand-washing to dry before the next day.:(

It also explains the proliferation of lights in restrooms and other places that are motion activated. Over time, these motion activated switches pay for themselves.

Hope this helps.

And that's why you have to pay the electricity company when you want to install solar panels. Strange country...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I personally find this utter tosh.

• Meanwhile, in the northwestern region of Galicia, the sun doesn’t rise until after 9am in winter, meaning that residents are starting their day in the dark.
Rubbish. Look at the sun rise times. Chart. It gets lighter before the sun is actually visible.

• But for many Spaniards, living in the wrong time zone has resulted in sleep deprivation and decreased productivity.
Parts of Spain are on the same latitude +/- as France. France also should be in the same time zone as the UK. Portugal, Republic of Island. The French do not eat late. There day is not based on a late schedule either.

Central European Time: Of the many countries on CET including France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria Italy, etc., None of these locations share Spanish eating times any more than do Poland, Hungary or the Czech and Slovak Republics - or Serbia. Or, for that matter some counties in Africa.

The badly timed day has a huge affect on the economy. Many times it has been suggested change to this will be implemented. English newspaper. But as usually nothing has happened. Change working hours and eating times will be as the rest of Europe.
On a final note maybe take a Spaniards word for the reasons why. Spanish newspaper

That was one thing that my teenage son found really hard to fathom on our July/Aug pilgrimage - how air conditioning could not be ubiquitous in that climate in the 21st century.
So true mate when pensions were not air conditioned it puzzled me.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back