• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why we walk - and courage

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Many of you will remember the pain and terrible disappointment suffered by @Elisha when she thought she had to abandon her Camino dream.

As you know, she made it to Santiago. Here is what she had to say about her journey. I have seldom come across such a moving tribute to the Camino.

I’d like to past her actual words here but can’t on this little iPhone. Perhaps someone else can.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! Thank you so much Jill. That's incredibly high praise coming from you :)

Allow me....

Its been a little over 3 weeks now since my last day on the Camino de Santiago & in the space of that time, the memory & the mourning for being back on The Way has its moments of feeling palpable. The journey you’ve all followed me on through the photos I’ve shared does little to truly harness the emotion & humility of being a pilgrim. Contrary to the blue skies & wild flowers, what the photos don’t capture is the pain, the tears, the comradery, the willpower, the love & power for change that exists within the confines of the Camino.

Your life suddenly becomes very simple - Each day you wake before the sun rises, quietly repack your belongings in the dark & you find a reason that compels you to put one foot in front of the other. That reason compels you to walk through pain; through shin splints, tendinitis, blisters, rain & hail. You walk, you eat, you laugh, you sleep, you repeat.

You cry. You cry because you’re happy, you cry as a result of pain, you cry because you’re humbled & you cry because of the deep love & respect you have for nature, the path & the people on it. Often you cry without reason at all.

The Camino makes you family; everything you have you must be willing to share. You share your last Compead, your wine, your burdens, your humour, your thoughts. You share of yourself without limitations, hesitation or personal gain. What you share becomes the testimony of your experience.

You share with strangers & quickly learn that 1 step back is more valuable than 100 steps forward in order to help another without thought for yourself. This lesson quickly breeds change & you see the best version of your Self reflected back at you in the eyes of those who you’ve stopped to help. The compassion, both given & received, cracks your heart wide open & makes it impossible to not be unequivocally changed by the experience of being human. By the experience of being a pilgrim.

The Camino compels you to look within, to be vulnerable, to let yourself need & be needed, to be compassionate; to dig deep into the confines of your heart & to learn about yourself. It tests your limits of physical & emotional pain & spins what you find into the most valuable possession you’ve ever held in your own two hands - The most authentic version of your Self you have ever known.

The journey to Santiago de Compostela is not an endurance challenge, a test of fitness, a competition or a walk about kilometres or miles. The Way is a journey into yourself. A journey into friendship, contemplation, silence, nature, humility, spirituality & gratitude.

To my Camino Family xx

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Allow me....

Its been a little over 3 weeks now since my last day on the Camino de Santiago & in the space of that time, the memory & the mourning for being back on The Way has its moments of feeling palpable. The journey you’ve all followed me on through the photos I’ve shared does little to truly harness the emotion & humility of being a pilgrim. Contrary to the blue skies & wild flowers, what the photos don’t capture is the pain, the tears, the comradery, the willpower, the love & power for change that exists within the confines of the Camino.

Your life suddenly becomes very simple - Each day you wake before the sun rises, quietly repack your belongings in the dark & you find a reason that compels you to put one foot in front of the other. That reason compels you to walk through pain; through shin splints, tendinitis, blisters, rain & hail. You walk, you eat, you laugh, you sleep, you repeat.

You cry. You cry because you’re happy, you cry as a result of pain, you cry because you’re humbled & you cry because of the deep love & respect you have for nature, the path & the people on it. Often you cry without reason at all.

The Camino makes you family; everything you have you must be willing to share. You share your last Compead, your wine, your burdens, your humour, your thoughts. You share of yourself without limitations, hesitation or personal gain.

You share with strangers & learn quickly that 1 step back is more valuable than 100 steps forward in order to help another without thought for yourself. This lesson quickly breeds change & you see the best version of your Self reflected back at you in the eyes of those who you’ve stopped to help. The compassion, both given & received, cracks your heart wide open & makes it impossible to not be unequivocally changed by the experience of being human. By the experience of being a pilgrim.

The Camino compels you to look within, to be vulnerable, to let yourself need & be needed, to be compassionate; to dig deep into the confines of your heart & to learn about yourself. It tests your limits of physical & emotional pain & spins what you find into the most valuable possession you’ve ever held in your own two hands.

The journey to Santiago de Compostela is not an endurance challenge, a test of fitness, a competition or a walk about kilometres or miles. The Way is a journey into yourself. A journey into friendship, contemplation, silence, nature, humility, spirituality & gratitude.

To my Camino Family xx

That which you have posted is my hope on my Caminos. Thank you for sharing. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perfect. Just perfect.
Huge congratulations, Elisha. I was wondering how it went for you, after that very challenging start.
Heartfelt thank you for sharing that - we are all inspired.

Well, I made it but it wasn't without it's challenges & as my post suggests, a hell of a lot of pain!

I'm just so grateful to everyone who offered their suggestions, kind words & support when I was stuck in London. It was a really scary time & I honestly thought my Camino was over. Little did I know, it was just the beginning.

IMG_4382.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

Last edited:
Many of you will remember the pain and terrible disappointment suffered by @Elisha when she thought she had to abandon her Camino dream.

As you know, she made it to Santiago. Here is what she had to say about her journey. I have seldom come across such a moving tribute to the Camino.

I’d like to past her actual words here but can’t on this little iPhone. Perhaps someone else can.[/QUOTE

WOW

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Allow me....

The Camino makes you family; everything you have you must be willing to share. You share your last Compead, your wine, your burdens, your humour, your thoughts. You share of yourself without limitations, hesitation or personal gain. What you share becomes the testimony of your experience.

You share with strangers & quickly learn that 1 step back is more valuable than 100 steps forward in order to help another without thought for yourself. This lesson quickly breeds change & you see the best version of your Self reflected back at you in the eyes of those who you’ve stopped to help. The compassion, both given & received, cracks your heart wide open & makes it impossible to not be unequivocally changed by the experience of being human. By the experience of being a pilgrim.

The Camino compels you to look within, to be vulnerable, to let yourself need & be needed, to be compassionate; to dig deep into the confines of your heart & to learn about yourself. It tests your limits of physical & emotional pain & spins what you find into the most valuable possession you’ve ever held in your own two hands - The most authentic version of your Self you have ever known.

To my Camino Family xx
Elisha,
Am a bit lost for words after reading this
So beautifully written
You have described what so many actually feel regarding the Camino
With all the best to you and congratulations
Annette

QUOTE The journey to Santiago de Compostela is not an endurance challenge, a test of fitness, a competition or a walk about kilometres or miles. The Way is a journey into yourself. A journey into friendship, contemplation, silence, nature, humility, spirituality & gratitude.

AMEN!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for expressing so eloquently the magic of the Camino and why so many of us just can't wait to set foot again on the Way of St James.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
[

Allow me....

To my Camino Family xx
QUOTE="Elisha, post: 632365, member: 56308"]Wow! Thank you so much Jill. That's incredibly high praise coming from you :)

Allow me....

To my Camino Family xx[/QUOTE]

Allow me....

To my Camino Family xx

Elisha,

Thank you so much. I have been back home in Sydney just over two weeks now after completing the Camino Frances and no matter how much I try to explain to family, friends and work colleagues what it's like on the Camino, I just can't get across the feelings that only people who have walked the Camino will every understand. I still go back and watch YouTube videos and DVD's of the Camino and the feelings keep rushing back. I have read many posts where people have done the Camino many times and could never understand why. I was asked a few times by locals while in Santiago, when would I return, and I laughed and said "once is enough" Well how wrong I was. I yearn to go back. So thank you again for allowing us to share your thoughts and feelings.

Such beautiful words, Elisha. Thanks for sharing your journey and insights. So very poignant and true.
I’m sitting in a Starbucks in Belfast with tears in my eyes ...... I’d better pull myself together and get back into business-mode :)

I’d like to past her actual words here but can’t on this little iPhone. Perhaps someone else can.[/QUOTEB
Beautiful ! Settles me for my coming camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you Elisha. We finished ours a week ago and humbly share much of your thoughts.

The Camino has given us much. It really does provide. May we all be better versions of ourselves.

What was all the worry about;)
Be very proud of your achievements and now mate the problems start,
Every day will get closer to Le Puy or Irun as Kanga can verify.
Well done

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beautiful & evocative .

Thanks Kanga for posting Elisha’s completely beautiful Camino tribute.
Elisha - you were always going to have an incredible camino, despite all the challenges that rose up to meet you and Elana. When you both were at the Pilgrims in Sydney meeting just prior to your departure you both had already embraced the spirit of the Camino - it shone out of the both of you so totally.
The Camino will stay with you both - in your hearts and in your souls.
Best, best wishes to you and Elana -
Jenny

I loved reading Elisha's beautiful and heartfelt reflections on her Camino experience. I'll add a big "ditto" to all the many wonderful comments expressed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back