• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why were we not informed??

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been offered pilgrim prices in Paradores for years and years - but this seemed to be at the pleasure of the reception people. A specific OFFER like this - my, I will have to try to squeeze in an extra Camino this autumn...

We were offered a special room price and a 15E pilgrim meal at the Paradore in Villafranca del Bierzo in 2014. It was our one night of luxury on a 44 day Camino. (The evening a Peaceable Kingdom was also very nice, that year).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I went to the one in Leon last year and had a good room, a really good breakfast and it was a beautiful building to boot. This year I went to the one in Tui this year (Portuguese/Spanish border) and I thought the room was so so, the building uninspiring and the breakfast not so great - in my opinion it would have been better and cheaper to have found something else. But that's just my humble opinion :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wish the link had an english version as I cannot use my translator to read it. I am in Burgos today so I have a few days prior to Leon to figure it out.

Mark, upper right quadrant of the screen you reach via the link has "ESPANOL" with a downward pointing arrow next to it, Click on the arrow and it offers a menu of languages.

15% off a Parador room, or if you are a jubilado (over 60) sometimes as much as 50% off. Albergues still come in a lot cheaper but you don't often get cotton sheets :)

Mark, upper right quadrant of the screen you reach via the link has "ESPANOL" with a downward pointing arrow next to it, Click on the arrow and it offers a menu of languages.

15% off a Parador room, or if you are a jubilado (over 60) sometimes as much as 50% off. Albergues still come in a lot cheaper but you don't often get cotton sheets :)
Oh, thank you very much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Clean sheets and a bath, with warm water and cold cava. It's nice when you get a discount and a room on the ground floor "So you don't have to worry about the stairs, madam." Though you do get funny looks when you turn up at the next albergue with a parador stamp in you credential.

The Beloved and I walked into reception in the Parador in Santillana del Mar. Muddy boots, sweaty pilgrim outfits, packs still on our backs. "we have two rooms available for Pilgrims" we were told. The first, for €40, was the usual square, comfortable, well equipped, bog-standard Parador room: the other had bedroom, lounge, wet-room complete with Jacuzzi and a balcony with a view across the charming village. This room would, unfortunately, cost €45. We made what was probably the fastest decision we have made in 40 years of prevarication.

Cold Cava in a hot Jacuzzi turned a wet week on the Norte into a treasured memory. We just know we can never go back - like it says in the song.

Just a reminder that the Parador in Leon will close next month for two & half year renovation. All the heritage front will stay (inc Tom's room!), but all the ones out back will go. Start planning for a Spring 2020 Camino!:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last year we had called for a reservation in Santo Domingo (for our anniversary). My husband was told there were no rooms available at which point he said "Please talk to my wife, I wear hearing aids and I can't understand you." I took the phone and the operator said "Did I understand that you were pilgrims? Of course we have rooms for Pilgrims and we have special pilgrim rates!" We had a lovely noon menu and overnight there the next day.

Last year we had called for a reservation in Santo Domingo (for our anniversary). My husband was told there were no rooms available at which point he said "Please talk to my wife, I wear hearing aids and I can't understand you." I took the phone and the operator said "Did I understand that you were pilgrims? Of course we have rooms for Pilgrims and we have special pilgrim rates!" We had a lovely noon menu and overnight there the next day.

I stayed in that Parador on my first Camino. I was so tired and sick I didn't ask about the rates. I got home to a more than $300 charge on my credit card for that lovely night. Yikes!

The Beloved and I walked into reception in the Parador in Santillana del Mar. Muddy boots, sweaty pilgrim outfits, packs still on our backs. "we have two rooms available for Pilgrims" we were told. The first, for €40, was the usual square, comfortable, well equipped, bog-standard Parador room: the other had bedroom, lounge, wet-room complete with Jacuzzi and a balcony with a view across the charming village. This room would, unfortunately, cost €45. We made what was probably the fastest decision we have made in 40 years of prevarication.

Cold Cava in a hot Jacuzzi turned a wet week on the Norte into a treasured memory. We just know we can never go back - like it says in the song.

Ah, the memories, Tincatinker! Bill Bailey wouldn't go home! He ended up in Singapore during the war and liked it so much that he refused to go back to USA.

In 1975 we holidayed in Singapore. Still nice and seedy then, and as it was durian season the smells were, well, "exotic" to say the least.

Bill Bailey's nightclub on Orchard Road,, the Coconut Grove was closed but the building hadn't then been demolished. When he died they buried him in the cemetary on upper Serandoon road but this has long now disappeared as well. I hopevthere's some memento of him somewhere, but if you ask you're treated with polite but blank stares.

Singapore is now a fabulously modern city, apparently boasting the two most expensive buildings in the world. But I do shed an occasional sniffle of nostalgia for what I remember from the 1960's and '70's. No durian smells now either!

The beauty of the Camino is that despite roadworks, rerouting of paths etc much of its history is preserved.

Sorry for the rave.

De Colores

Bogong

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just be careful of the supposed 15 or 18 euro pilgrim meal. Make sure there are no misunderstandings. One of my current Camino companions was offered this deal at the parador in León, when she booked in. But when she and her friend went to pay, the cost was 120 euros for the 2 of them. She said it was a fabulous meal, with great wine, but obviously not the "pilgrim menu"!

I used them for a couple of nights this year but......the senior rate was better then the pilgrim rate :)
Good to know. I've stayed at the pilgrim rate before. WHat's the price difference for seniors instead?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All through this year the Paradors were trying to lure pilgrims into their lairs! Why were we not informed sooner?

http://www.parador.es/es/ofertas/no...m_campaign=1709_12_planes_gastro_otono_amigos
This isn't a new thing - they offer this all the time but you need to book a loooong way in advance to get it I managed to get it at the parador in Santiago - (still not cheap but a lot cheaper than the normal rate) but I booked about 6 months in advance. The pilgrims meals are always available

Can anyone give me some clarity here? I read the article about Leon's Parador closing for 2.5 years BUT I made reservations for late October there (about 1 month ago). I even emailed them recently to verify and they replied in the affirmative. Could it be they are closing small parts of the hotel only at a time??

Can anyone give me some clarity here? I read the article about Leon's Parador closing for 2.5 years BUT I made reservations for late October there (about 1 month ago). I even emailed them recently to verify and they replied in the affirmative. Could it be they are closing small parts of the hotel only at a time??

Looks like they pushed back the closing date to December 15th, per their website: http://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-leon
It lists the closing dates under the calendar. I'd wanted to stay there, but looks like I'll still miss it as our camino has been pushed back until the spring. Hope you enjoy it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back