• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Why you can’t do online check in:

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving from NYC today. Tried to check in online yesterday: no dice. Made me nervous because sometimes that correlates with getting “selected” for extra screening, which happened to me once and was no fun. When got to airport the real reason was revealed: an airline employee needs to see your Spanish QR code (and may ask to see your vaccination proof or neg test if you are not vaccinated) before you can get your boarding pass.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, when my sister in-law went back to Lima,Peru. We could not check her in online. She left from Atlanta.
I told my wife we needed to be at the airport early. Atlanta airport is unbelievably busy, and the lines were very long at the Delta counters. They wanted all documents of tests and Health re-entry document for Peru.

Travel is a little more complicated now unfortunately

This is not currently the case in Canada. I looked at the Air Canada website today specifically about checking in online 24 hours before my flight to Europe in September. Seats are sold separately for Air Canada flights, and are expensive (more than $60 for a seat on one of my four flights: both ways with connecting flights). It is still possible to pick one of the unsold seats when checking in 24 hours before my flight and to get a free seat. I don't yet know about getting a seat on my connecting flight from London to Valencia. One reason why I was looking into this was that I wanted to make sure that I could go ahead choosing a seat and then finishing filling in my on-line health information for Spain. There seems to be no problem with this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leaving from NYC today. Tried to check in online yesterday: no dice. Made me nervous because sometimes that correlates with getting “selected” for extra screening, which happened to me once and was no fun. When got to airport the real reason was revealed: an airline employee needs to see your Spanish QR code (and may ask to see your vaccination proof or neg test if you are not vaccinated) before you can get your boarding pass.
This is starting to sound a little stressful to me as my check will be with a different airline than the one I will fly to Spain in. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I’ve decide to take only one flight Montreal to Lisbon early October to avoid the additional stress of multiple rules. I’ll then move around from there by ground (mostly feet, plus trains, buses, etc).

Good luck. One flight to Spain from Montreal is what I booked. Then Air Canada cancelled and said that they could not do it. I am still trying to figure out how to sort out the pandemic restrictions, as I shall be transiting through London on the way to Spain and Frankfurt on the way home.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good luck. One flight to Spain from Montreal is what I booked. Then Air Canada cancelled and said that they could not do it. I am still trying to figure out how to sort out the pandemic restrictions, as I shall be transiting through London on the way to Spain and Frankfurt on the way home.
The news we have from recent travelers is that transit doesn’t complicate things, but I would still prefer to avoid transfers.

A thought occurred to me, @Albertagirl -- Since flight schedules seem to change every few days, it might be worth it for you to keep an eye out to see if better flights have been scheduled and then prevail on Air Canada to change you. It seems to me they would be obliged to do it (or at least would find it a reasonable request) since you were moved off your original preferred itinerary through no fault of your own. I don’t know how often flight schedules change, but I had two changes in schedule on a recent flight. I had booked it in May. The first schedule change came in late May and then it was changed again in early June.

The news we have from recent travelers is that transit doesn’t complicate things, but I would still prefer to avoid transfers.

A thought occurred to me, @Albertagirl -- Since flight schedules seem to change every few days, it might be worth it for you to keep an eye out to see if better flights have been scheduled and then prevail on Air Canada to change you. It seems to me they would be obliged to do it (or at least would find it a reasonable request) since you were moved off your original preferred itinerary through no fault of your own. I don’t know how often flight schedules change, but I had two changes in schedule on a recent flight. I had booked it in May. The first schedule change came in late May and then it was changed again in early June.
Thank you for your concern. I have tried to sort out transiting through London (to Spain) and Frankfurt (to Canada) and have given up for the present. Regulations are constantly changing and pretty much incomprehensible in any case. I shall attempt to sort it out closer to my initial flight to Spain on Sept. 9.

Thank you for your concern. I have tried to sort out transiting through London (to Spain) and Frankfurt (to Canada) and have given up for the present. Regulations are constantly changing and pretty much incomprehensible in any case. I shall attempt to sort it out closer to my initial flight to Spain on Sept. 9.
I’m also transiting through London Heathrow from Toronto. I can’t find any information either so have given up for now. I’ll start checking again closer to my September departure date. :)

I’m also transiting through London Heathrow from Toronto. I can’t find any information either so have given up for now. I’ll start checking again closer to my September departure date. :)
If you find out anything, please pass it on. I shall do the same.

If you find out anything, please pass it on. I shall do the same.
Saw this on UK Gov website;

When you transit through England to international destinations:
You do not need to quarantine on arrival or take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and day 8. This applies if you are transiting airside or landside.

You must either:

remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you. I understand this, but I also understand that a covid test must be taken before arrival in England. An antigen test is acceptable, to show that you are not carrying the virus when transiting. I can now get this test at the airport in Calgary and the short time needed before results should mean that I can get it the day that I fly and receive the results at the airport before boarding. The same test can be done without an appointment and for a very low cost at many pharmacies in Calgary, but I am not sure that the results will be as acceptable as an airport test, which is claimed to fulfull the requirements for a flight to England.There is also the requirement for a Public Health Passenger Locator Form. I signed in to this and filled in my basic information, but the rest must be done and sent before I fly. And there is also the comparable SpTH online form to be started whenever one likes but completed shortly before flying to Spain. And the ArrivCAN app to be downloaded and filled in, but completed, along with a PCR test shortly before returning to Canada. And some of this may disappear or be changed before I am flying home in late November. That is why I am trying to keep my attention on the antigen test and Passenger Locator form for Heathrow, and the SpTH form for Spain, as they must be done before I fly to Heathrow, just a little over a month from now.

Thank you. I understand this,

I just saw this transit information and thought it was new. Sorry, my bad. 😒

There’s SO much info on the British Airways website. I feel like I’m going round and round.

I’m flying out of Toronto to Spain via London a week before you so I can let you know what works or not. If and when I can figure it all out that is. 😄

Last edited:
This is not currently the case in Canada. I looked at the Air Canada website today specifically about checking in online 24 hours before my flight to Europe in September. Seats are sold separately for Air Canada flights, and are expensive (more than $60 for a seat on one of my four flights: both ways with connecting flights). It is still possible to pick one of the unsold seats when checking in 24 hours before my flight and to get a free seat. I don't yet know about getting a seat on my connecting flight from London to Valencia. One reason why I was looking into this was that I wanted to make sure that I could go ahead choosing a seat and then finishing filling in my on-line health information for Spain. There seems to be no problem with this.
Our Air Canada flight said the same thing last week, ie we could check-in online 24 hours in advance. We did. However, no boarding passes were provided. Only a “confirmation of check-in”. Boarding passes were only issued at the counter after inspection of our Spanish entry code and proof of vaccination (for transit through Germany).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back