• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Wi-Fi" Nikon Cameras

RobertS26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
Last year I only carried a cell phone on the Camino for taking pictures. And I had no problem uploading photos every night to Facebook. But I found the cell phone camera limited my creativity and I have decided to carry a regular digital camera (with multiple lenses) with me next year.

I see where Nikon is advertising cameras with "Built-In Wi-Fi" and cameras with "Wi-Fi Connectivity". It seems the "built-in" is a better feature because "connectivity" models require an external adaptor to get the job done.

Here is my question. Do Nikon cameras with "built-in" Wi-Fi allow me to go directly to Facebook and upload pictures, or is there an intermediate step required where I have to upload the pictures to the cloud and then upload pictures from the cloud to Facebook?

Thank you in advance for you help.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not sure about the Nikon, but I purchased a Sony wifi camera last year and used it with my Kobo to access Facebook, blog and email. It was easy and the results were great. It was totally wireless and there was such easy access along the way. Good luck

Cheryl (Frances 2013, Jurassic Coast Trail 2013)

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

It really depends on the app that nikon provides. Some simply allow you to transfer the image from the camera to your mobile device - from there you can email it or upload it to social media. Other apps allow you to directly transfer the image from the camera to your mobile device and then on to social media in one step.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here is the link to the apple store for the primary wifi app that nikon offers. ( I see that they have a couple more apps for specific nikon cameras )

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wireless-mobile-utility/id554157010?mt=8

Personally I have an old nikon D70 that does not have wifi. Recently I switched over to a Sony nex 6 that offers wifi.

But I would not get hung up on if they camera does wifi or not, since my experience is that the wifi transfer is slow, clumsy and eats up camera battery time.

Instead I would rather direct transfer the images to my iPad, select and sort through the better ones, edit them using a good image editor and then upload them to Facebook, etc.

This is what I did on my last two walks.

Last year I only carried a cell phone on the Camino for taking pictures. And I had no problem uploading photos every night to Facebook. But I found the cell phone camera limited my creativity and I have decided to carry a regular digital camera (with multiple lenses) with me next year.

I see where Nikon is advertising cameras with "Built-In Wi-Fi" and cameras with "Wi-Fi Connectivity". It seems the "built-in" is a better feature because "connectivity" models require an external adaptor to get the job done.

Here is my question. Do Nikon cameras with "built-in" Wi-Fi allow me to go directly to Facebook and upload pictures, or is there an intermediate step required where I have to upload the pictures to the cloud and then upload pictures from the cloud to Facebook?

What I'm planning to do is take with me a nikon D7100 with only one lens (16-85mm). This camera has two card slots and I will configure it to write raw images on the first card and basic jpegs on the second. Doing so I can transfer the basic jpegs only, directly and faster than using wifi to a nexus 7 (smaller than ipad) and then make selection and some editing. After that, using wifi, I can upload some images using facebook or any other social media app. I will bring also a spare battery. When I get homeI will work on my raw files with more time to edit and make the images even better. I know this will cost me about 1.3kg more to carry but imo worth it. Note: If your nikon camera has only one card slot there's no problem, you can write raw and jpegs on the same card or if you don't like raw, write jpegs only.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Robert, I've been in the same boat. Loved the images I took in 2012, but did not want to carry the full sized Canon again.
I've just bought a Sony A6000 a few weeks ago. Camera, with battery and card and 2 lens comes in at 1.5 lbs. Charger and 2 extra batteries keeps everything under 2 lbs.
I give the camera 5 out of 5 stars considering price and features. 24 MB raw images, lots of control and shooting options. WiFi works well, and uploading to FB is easy, as is copying to a tablet, PC, etc.
My plan, which I have thoroughly tested, is to copy images and videos to my iPad with the camera connection dongle, then upload from the iPad to Dropbox using CameraSync. RAW files will appear in the iPad Photo app as jpg, but CameraSync will find the full RAW and send to DB. One hitch so far is that videos must be mp4 to load to iPad, so I'm taking an extra SD card for AVCHD video of special events and places.
The camera is great and fun to use, though the learning curve has been uphill, because I'm not used to a lot of the Sony terminology and features. Actually, I'm backing away from some of the wiz-bang features and going back to basics with the camera now. (What was I thinking?)

I researched the whole batch of mirrorless cameras before deciding on the A6000. This is a whole new world for digital photographers.
Anyway, just some thoughts and experiences. Photography is part of me, and if you are the same, you'll figure out a best setup for you. The images I brought back add so much to my ongoing appreciation for the Camino.

I have a Nikon Coolpix S600 with BUILT IN Wifi/eye fi. Panasonic Lumix also does this. For the record, here is how I use it. It is a good quality small point and shoot, so no extra lenses to bring and plenty of options for us creative types, including an in-camera editing feature and ridiculously good telephoto lens. Here is how I use it: 1. Download Nikon Wifi app to iphone or tablet. You do this only once. Double check on Google to find it. 2. Take photos with camera. 3. Turn on app on iphone or tablet. 4. Turn on Wifi in camera. 5. Pictures are wirelessly transferred from camera to iphone, exactly as if you had taken the picture with the phone. Then you can instantly Facebook them, exactly as you would pictures you too with your phone. Or you can edit them with an editing app of your choice. There may be even a more direct way of sending instantly from camera to Facebook, but I don't know of it. For the record, it's worked fine. And here's something interesting for the Camino.... you don't even need external wifi to get the pictures on the camera to your phone, because the camera's wifi talks to the phone's wifi. So you could transfer pix out in the middle of the trek if you liked. Hope this helps.

Here is the link to the apple store for the primary wifi app that nikon offers. ( I see that they have a couple more apps for specific nikon cameras )

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wireless-mobile-utility/id554157010?mt=8

Personally I have an old nikon D70 that does not have wifi. Recently I switched over to a Sony nex 6 that offers wifi.

But I would not get hung up on if they camera does wifi or not, since my experience is that the wifi transfer is slow, clumsy and eats up camera battery time.

Instead I would rather direct transfer the images to my iPad, select and sort through the better ones, edit them using a good image editor and then upload them to Facebook, etc.

This is what I did on my last two walks.
I heard that the Wifi eats up battery time BUT you can turn it on and off in the newer cameras and it doesn't have any appreciable draw on the battery life. Take the pictures with Wifi off, turn it on only for the transfer, then turn it off. My sense is that they have been ironing out the bugs on this one since the inception.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd go to Nikon USA and download the user manuals for the camera that interests you.

For the consumer cameras I could see facebook uploads being included. For the pro models it might be limited to tethering during shoots. But the manuals should make all this clear.
Or Google about!

What I'm planning to do is take with me a nikon D7100 with only one lens (16-85mm). This camera has two card slots and I will configure it to write raw images on the first card and basic jpegs on the second. Doing so I can transfer the basic jpegs only, directly and faster than using wifi to a nexus 7 (smaller than ipad) and then make selection and some editing. After that, using wifi, I can upload some images using facebook or any other social media app. I will bring also a spare battery. When I get homeI will work on my raw files with more time to edit and make the images even better. I know this will cost me about 1.3kg more to carry but imo worth it. Note: If your nikon camera has only one card slot there's no problem, you can write raw and jpegs on the same card or if you don't like raw, write jpegs only.
The small pocket SLRs are just amazing now!

Robert, I've been in the same boat. Loved the images I took in 2012, but did not want to carry the full sized Canon again.
I've just bought a Sony A6000 a few weeks ago. Camera, with battery and card and 2 lens comes in at 1.5 lbs. Charger and 2 extra batteries keeps everything under 2 lbs.
I give the camera 5 out of 5 stars considering price and features. 24 MB raw images, lots of control and shooting options. WiFi works well, and uploading to FB is easy, as is copying to a tablet, PC, etc.
My plan, which I have thoroughly tested, is to copy images and videos to my iPad with the camera connection dongle, then upload from the iPad to Dropbox using CameraSync. RAW files will appear in the iPad Photo app as jpg, but CameraSync will find the full RAW and send to DB. One hitch so far is that videos must be mp4 to load to iPad, so I'm taking an extra SD card for AVCHD video of special events and places.
The camera is great and fun to use, though the learning curve has been uphill, because I'm not used to a lot of the Sony terminology and features. Actually, I'm backing away from some of the wiz-bang features and going back to basics with the camera now. (What was I thinking?)

I researched the whole batch of mirrorless cameras before deciding on the A6000. This is a whole new world for digital photographers.
Anyway, just some thoughts and experiences. Photography is part of me, and if you are the same, you'll figure out a best setup for you. The images I brought back add so much to my ongoing appreciation for the Camino.
Robert as a follow up to my PM from last night the Sony A6000 is a replacement to the NEX 6

You can read more here about this newest model
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-a6000

I guess if I had waited a few more months, I might have purchased the A6000 instead of the NEX 6

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.