• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wicking Underwear

lorax

Time of past OR future Camino
I tried in 09, it went horribly. Gonna try again. Aug/Sept this year
Hi all... I thought I'd add a new post about this amazing stuff called "wicking underwear"... it's new to me and despite being alot more than regular underwear, I don't want to wear anything but this stuff. Mine is from ExOffico...and it is AWESOME!!! It doesn't make sense to me that we send all this money to buy comfortable walking clothing and then wear our regular old underwear....after all, this IS the closest to our bodies... I love them. If you've never tried them, spend the money for a pair and I know you will be sold!!

Ultreia!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Re: WICKING UNDERWEAR...

Karla, what is the manufactured name of the underwear?

Sil-it's mentioned in her post Ex Officio. I have them too because I sometimes had the problem of still-wet-undies on the caminos (err...,because they hadn't dried properly after washing them of course)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Regardless of the brand, wicking underwear rocks! I had a no name brand from REI and they worked very well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Yes, any brand. Terry's are Rohan, pants and the cheaper 'core T' (they do two). Lightweight, non-sweaty easy to wash and very quick drying. See http://www.rohan.co.uk .
Somewhere someone also asked about liner socks. Terry is wearing those too. Again any make so long as they fit well. He has 3 pairs so that it is very hot he can wear two together rather than using his thicker walking socks.
buen camino,
Tia Valeria for Tio Tel

)

I've used Lowe Alpine ones for many years now, and they are first class. They are close fitting, with a portion going down the leg which helps as an anti-chafe device if that is a problem. They dry pretty quickly, and I wear a pair from after the shower on arriving at the albergue, until my shower on arriving the next day when they are washed, and have no problem at all.

They do a mens version
http://www.lowealpine.co.uk/Product...ctGroupID=135&Position=12&SpecificActivityID=

And a womens also
http://www.lowealpine.co.uk/Product...tGroupID=1127&Position=27&SpecificActivityID=
(love the pink !!!)

The mens is widely available in the UK in shops (eg Cotswold), but I can't say for the womens. Also they are easily available on-line.

More pricey than your average M&S cotton briefs which I wore on my first camino (Arles-Toulouse July/Aug 2003 in the heatwave!), but from experience, they are worth every single penny extra for the comfort (the gents will know what I mean when walking in the heat !) - and also for not having the damn things dangling from the rucksack the next day while they dry !

Mike

We plan to walk just 5 days over Easter. My children already have Canterbury/UnderArmour 'underwear' for playing sports in cold weather. Will these be suitable as the base layer rather than paying out more money for merino layers? Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I too wear Exoffico underwear, its not cheap but works brilliantly, The Boxer briefs (not boxers which are a different style) are very comfortable and keep their shape, I have walked 20km in hot conditions and the underwear stay dry and keep you cool-well worth the money, I got mine from REI

Dave

Thanks to all - we can invest properly if we survive the cold, rain and mud of this one to walk another day/Way!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.