• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wicklow, Ireland?

JohnMcM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some, and with luck, some more.
Hello all my Irish cousins
I've been trying to research a long weekend walking break in the Wicklow area. To be honest, a Camino connection and the the cheaper the better :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That looks interesting Wayfarer and John very interesting thank you.

Hello all my Irish cousins
I've been trying to research a long weekend walking break in the Wicklow area. To be honest, a Camino connection and the the cheaper the better :rolleyes:
Footfalls (walkinghikingireland.com) run the Wicklow Walking festival the last weekend in October. They have a choice of 3 different walks per day.
It's a small family business and Christopher is from the area and a really nice guy.
There are plenty of B&Bs in the Laragh/Glendalough area which aren't too expensive.
Happy walking,
Audrey

Not to expensive here in Ireland is still a good bit more expensive than the typical albergue prices you'd find on the Camino.
Is there any list of accommodation and prices for the Wicklow Way?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi John that is a useful site for the Wicklow Way -wicklowway.com -it gives you lots of accommodation options and I used it to plan my walk. In fact some of the B & B's are the same price, or even cheaper than some hostel accommodation offered in Glendalough-or was when I walked the WW a few years back. Whatever you do stay in The Glenmalure Lodge rather than the, almost as expensive but incomparably grim, youth hostel in Glenmalure. The lodge is a fantastic little pub and B&B and serves up a hearty feeds even if you're not staying there. Alternatively there is a handy little mountain hut on the way down into Glenmalure where you can over night but it is a walk down to the pub and an even longer walk back up! There's also another hut at Brashers Gap just beyond Roundwood and these huts make two good cheap overnight options. The route is really well marked and maintained by 'Mountain Meithal' a great group of volunteers who doe fantastic work maintaining the WW and the Dublin Mountain Way.
If you click into my blog there's another link to a blog on the Wicklow Way (called with great imagination Nell's Wicklow Way) I did in 2010 and gives you some photo's and daily distances and map and guide info etc.
Overseas visitors often choose to walk from Clonegal in Carlow, the traditional end of the WW, back towards Dublin as this leaves them near their departure point at the end of the walk and it also builds up towards the hills whereas starting from Dublin it's pretty much UP from the get go (not too bad really though).
John if you need any other info pm me with your questions and I'll do what I can to answer them.

Last edited:
Hi John that is a useful site for the Wicklow Way -wicklowway.com -it gives you lots of accommodation options and I used it to plan my walk. In fact some of the B & B's are the same price, or even cheaper than some hostel accommodation offered in Glendalough-or was when I walked the WW a few years back. Whatever you do stay in The Glenmalure Lodge rather than the, almost as expensive but incomparably grim, youth hostel in Glenmalure. The lodge is a fantastic little pub and B&B and serves up a hearty feeds even if you're not staying there. Alternatively there is a handy little mountain hut on the way down into Glenmalure where you can over night but it is a walk down to the pub and an even longer walk back up! There's also another hut at Brashers Gap just beyond Roundwood) and these make two good cheap overnight options. The route is really well marked and maintained by a 'Mountain Meithal' a great group of volunteers who doe fantastic work maintaining theWW and the Dublin Mountain Way.
If you click into my blog there's another link to a blog on the Wicklow Way (called with great imagination Nell's Wicklow Way) I did in 2010 and gives you some photo's and daily distances and map and guide info etc.
Overseas visitors often choose to walk from Clonegal in Carlow, the traditional end of the WW, back towards Dublin as this leaves them near their departure point at the end of the walk and it also builds up towards the hills whereas starting from Dublin it's pretty much UP from the get go (not too bad really though).
John if you need any other info pm me with your questions and I'll do what I can to answer them.

Thanks nellpilgim, much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,
I'm aware people may keep replying to or watch this thread. For a lot of reasons, (if you are waiting on a response from me ) please accept my apologies, I won't be able to reply before 29th August. :(

Hi John that is a useful site for the Wicklow Way -wicklowway.com -it gives you lots of accommodation options and I used it to plan my walk. In fact some of the B & B's are the same price, or even cheaper than some hostel accommodation offered in Glendalough-or was when I walked the WW a few years back. Whatever you do stay in The Glenmalure Lodge rather than the, almost as expensive but incomparably grim, youth hostel in Glenmalure. The lodge is a fantastic little pub and B&B and serves up a hearty feeds even if you're not staying there. Alternatively there is a handy little mountain hut on the way down into Glenmalure where you can over night but it is a walk down to the pub and an even longer walk back up! There's also another hut at Brashers Gap just beyond Roundwood and these huts make two good cheap overnight options. The route is really well marked and maintained by 'Mountain Meithal' a great group of volunteers who doe fantastic work maintaining the WW and the Dublin Mountain Way.

Ah Nell, every potential pilgrim should spend one night in the An Oige Youth Hostel in Glenmalure if only to make you all the more appreciative of the comparative comforts of Spanish albergues. The mens dorm in Glenmalure is called :The Icebox' for good reason. :(

The last time I was on a night hike in the area, I passed The Glenmalure Lodge about 2 am, the last of the locals were starting to leave so those expecting a quiet night might be a little disappointed although I believe the Dowling family have renovated the bedrooms over the last couple of years.

Seamus

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Supersullivan it's true that every evening locals lads head into the Glenmalure Lodge for "a bit of dinner" (a wheelbarrow full of food), a few pints of 'something to help it down' and they may stay on to enjoy the chat for a couple of hours. But remember you've walked over the hill from Glendalough, had a feed of Wicklow lamb, a couple of drinks, the rain is hitting the windows hard but the bed is sooo cosy and warm Michael Flately could be dancing across the dressing table and you'd sleep through it all……. ;) Actually the bedrooms are lovely and really quiet enough-I'd admit I'd been sleeping in the Mullaghmore hut the night before so there's a chance I was seduced by the luxury of a bed and 4 walls!
I've heard of the manly rigours of 'The Icebox' mens accommodation before but thank God I've only experienced the dickensian grimness of the 'Ladies dorm' myself. The hostel used at least to look pretty but now, with heavy steel shutters over all the windows, it appears as grim on the outside as it is feels on the inside.
When I walked the WW we stayed on for an extra day to take 'a swing up the Glen' and a few river dips before continuing on the Wicklow Way-lovely walking.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.