• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wide hiking boots/shoes.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
After my 2012 Camino I discovered I had been stricken with the "bigfoot" syndrome, my feet had gone up a half to one shoe size. This, as I found out was fairly common and there are several threads on here discussing the topic. When I returned home I found none of my runners, boots or going out shoes fitted comfortably, they all ended up pinching my small toes. I then read about the availability of wide shoes/boots in the USA. The problem was none of the companies would deliver to Europe, but happy days, I found out recently that Keen are now doing wide hiking shoes and mids and do deliver to Europe/EU. Delivery is free and if you are not happy you can return them free but they have to be undamaged.
To be clear I have no involvement with Keen other than liking their boots, shoes and sandals.
I am now the happy owner of a pair of both wide shoes and mids, I am also aware that if I buy any more walking shoes or boots I will end up living in them like the old lady in the nursery rhyme. My better half tells me I have more shoes than her now, which of course is impossible. :)

http://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ie/products/shoes/men/141,3475_-10,2

http://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ie/products/shoes/women/141,3475_-10,2

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure if you've tried Lowa boots/shoes but they are available in the UK in wide sizes (extra last width is only in forefoot area it says). They are not the most durable product and cannot be resoled once worn down however they do provide good comfort out of the box and are relatively light.

http://lowa.co.uk/?product=renegade-gtx-mid-wide

You know, just in case you want to solidify the shoe counting contest!

After my 2012 Camino I discovered I had been stricken with the "bigfoot" syndrome, my feet had gone up a half to one shoe size. This, as I found out was fairly common and there are several threads on here discussing the topic. When I returned home I found none of my runners, boots or going out shoes fitted comfortably, they all ended up pinching my small toes. I then read about the availability of wide shoes/boots in the USA. The problem was none of the companies would deliver to Europe, but happy days, I found out recently that Keen are now doing wide hiking shoes and mids and do deliver to Europe/EU. Delivery is free and if you are not happy you can return them free but they have to be undamaged.
To be clear I have no involvement with Keen other than liking their boots, shoes and sandals.
I am now the happy owner of a pair of both wide shoes and mids, I am also aware that if I buy any more walking shoes or boots I will end up living in them like the old lady in the nursery rhyme. My better half tells me I have more shoes than her now, which of course is impossible. :)

http://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ie/products/shoes/men/141,3475_-10,2

http://www.keenfootwear.com/en-ie/products/shoes/women/141,3475_-10,2

I also need to find wide shoes: for running I find New Balance excellent as they make width fittings. I have worn at least a dozen pairs. Difficult sometimes to buy wide fittings online, but if you search you will find them. Would love to try NB walking shoes, in a wide fitting, but can't find any shop where I can try them on.

I recently bought a new pair of Keen walking shoes, (having generally worn North Face for many years). The Keens are wide and extremely comfortable and I gave them a solid trial in the UK Lake District a week ago. I bought them in Dublin in an independent retailer, Basecamp, in Middle Abbey Street. (I have no connection with Keen nor with the shop.) They recommended the Keens. They were extraordinarily helpful and happy for me to spend an hour trying different shoes. They have run Camino information evenings in the past - you can see about them on Facebook. They respond to emails, which is rare enough these days. They came back by email with a list of 5 or 6 shoes I should try for a wider than average fitting.

If you are in Dublin, worth a visit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also need to find wide shoes: for running I find New Balance excellent as they make width fittings. I have worn at least a dozen pairs. Difficult sometimes to buy wide fittings online, but if you search you will find them. Would love to try NB walking shoes, in a wide fitting, but can't find any shop where I can try them on.

I recently bought a new pair of Keen walking shoes, (having generally worn North Face for many years). The Keens are wide and extremely comfortable and I gave them a solid trial in the UK Lake District a week ago. I bought them in Dublin in an independent retailer, Basecamp, in Middle Abbey Street. (I have no connection with Keen nor with the shop.) They recommended the Keens. They were extraordinarily helpful and happy for me to spend an hour trying different shoes. They have run Camino information evenings in the past - you can see about them on Facebook. They respond to emails, which is rare enough these days. They came back by email with a list of 5 or 6 shoes I should try for a wider than average fitting.

Great info, thank you Tim.

Keens for me as well, I have wide feet, about 9 length long (Uk) but my width is those of a 14 length, so I have to compromise and buy 11 length and soft materials so there is some give on the sides for my wide feet, keen is the best I have found yet + their wide toe box is better than new balance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Meindl. Expensive but worth the cost. Just did 10 days on Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba. Like walking on air.

Very wide at the front and excellent ankle support. They have some wonderful technology that moulds the boot to you on first wearing. Best I've ever had

Keens are absolutely fabulous shoes and boots, and as I am the proud owner of women's size 11 feet--wide feet--they are great for me. I have done well with Keen, Cascadia, Merrell, and Vasque. My last two walks (and my first, ha ha!), I wore my Vasque boots, and was delighted with them.

I will also mention that a men's size 10.5 works well for me, as it bumps me up in length just a bit. I found a few women while on my walks who were wearing shoes if not "just right" for their foot, actually about a 1/2 size smaller. Sadly, women worry about how a shoe looks on. Most of the gals on this forum, probably not. Take it from Bigfoot though, it is a reality that many ladies with a large foot--or even a size 8--have issues with appearance of their footwear and feet. Sad.

I'm glad that Keen is getting their footwear over to the UK. They produce some good items.

Buen Camino----and currently getting ready for W. Highland Way in August!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never been able to wear Keen boots. The toe box is hard and snug fitting on me and even to try them on is painful. I have wide feet, and have never worn women's boots. One foot is about 1/2 size larger than the other, which makes fitting new boots quite a challenge. Recently, I bought a pair of boots 1/2 size larger than the boots that I wore on the camino last year, which wore out on me after only about 1,000 km. This proved to be disastrous, and after a 12 day walk in the Rockies I needed to heal my poor feet before buying other boots. Now I have a pair of men's size 8 1/2 Timberland boots, with less than 2 months to break them in before setting off on camino again. The right boot is small. What I generally do in this situation is to wear two pairs of wool socks, one thick, one less so, a pair of made to measure orthotics, and a foam rubber insert on top of the orthotic in the boot with the smaller foot. This is not ideal, but generally works fairly well while the boots are being broken in, and I can only hope that it will do so this year. It is just not practical to get my boots made to measure. But it is also not very practical to always wear boots one of which does not fit. I have learned to make do.

I assume that world-wide shipping is available. You might look for Altras, a shoe made intentionally for wide feet and mountain running. Although I live in Utah where they call home I haven't tried them nor have they offered to sponsor my walks.... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have never been able to wear Keen boots. The toe box is hard and snug fitting on me and even to try them on is painful. I have wide feet, and have never worn women's boots. One foot is about 1/2 size larger than the other, which makes fitting new boots quite a challenge. Recently, I bought a pair of boots 1/2 size larger than the boots that I wore on the camino last year, which wore out on me after only about 1,000 km. This proved to be disastrous, and after a 12 day walk in the Rockies I needed to heal my poor feet before buying other boots. Now I have a pair of men's size 8 1/2 Timberland boots, with less than 2 months to break them in before setting off on camino again. The right boot is small. What I generally do in this situation is to wear two pairs of wool socks, one thick, one less so, a pair of made to measure orthotics, and a foam rubber insert on top of the orthotic in the boot with the smaller foot. This is not ideal, but generally works fairly well while the boots are being broken in, and I can only hope that it will do so this year. It is just not practical to get my boots made to measure. But it is also not very practical to always wear boots one of which does not fit. I have learned to make do.

Hi, Albertagirl, I had such high hopes for Keen boots and shoes because though my foot is very narrow, what I thought was the toe box is very wide. And Keen is touted as having a wide toe box. But when I went to try them on, I found that it was tight on top. And the salesperson explained that Keen has a wide toe box for people with wide spread across the toes, but that what I have is a wide metatarsal, which is right below the toes. And in that part of the shoe, Keen isn't wider. I found that Salomon shoes fit my wide metatarsal well, and I have worn them for the last five years. But just this summer, I had to buy a new pair of shoes on the camino, and the North Face I got in Zaragoza were also fine for my feet for the rest of the walk. Hope your Timberlands work for you. I know others who swear by that brand, too, but it doesn't fit my odd foot. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok so my issue is that I need a shoe that's not only wide at the toes (but not wide at the heels) but, most important, a DEEP TOE-BOX....
I walked from Sarria wearing Altra, but the toe boxes on their new shoes is now smaller, gggrrr....
Anyone have any ideas for shoes or boots with a DEEP toe box? Thanks in advance...

Good to hear that i am not alone with an enlarging feet. My right foot length increased by one full size while my left foot widened from medium to about 3E. So I have been around the block trying to find a good fitting boot. This side of the Atlantic, Keen, Merrell, LLbean and Cabelas carry true wide (EE) hiking boots. But most of them have a gtx waterproof barrier (which I cannot stand). Or have a synthetic upper that does not stretch. I finally hit the jackpot with Lowa renegade wide (non gtx). The great thing about leather is that it stretches and adapts to your feet, reasonably waterproof and breathes.... I usually put them on in the morning and take them off at the end of the day, no need for changing socks or be concerned about wet feet....

Thanks @timr, that's good to know.

I'm a recent Keen convert too; my large collection of walking footwear now includes Keen mid- boots (not for the Camino) and walking sandals. I got mine in Galway - in River Deep Mountain High. The very helpful owner (who I think is also called Pat) might order the wide-fit versions for you if you need more in the future.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Meindl. Expensive but worth the cost. Just did 10 days on Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba. Like walking on air.

Very wide at the front and excellent ankle support. They have some wonderful technology that moulds the boot to you on first wearing. Best I've ever had

Definitely agree on this one. Keens used to fit but my feet have widened too much even for them. My Meindls have been the best boots ever although the lightweight Hoka One One Tor Summits are proving just as good.

I always take any new boots to my podiatrist and get them specially stretched to my foot specifications ie a rounded space created around one of my small toes etc. Well worth the effort.

I also use a shoe stretcher for any ongoing fine-tuning.

It's good to get so many ideas. I just wish that we in Australia had more opportunities to try on wide shoes first, rather than having to rely on Internet buying.... But I do know that when I find an excellent pair I will buy an extra pair..... Twice in the past I've been caught out with good designs being discontinued....

I also found the same issue with Keen being too tight for my instep and I couldn't even get my foot in the shoe. It is apparently their newer models that have this issue. Their other models I find a bit too wide for me especially in the heel and don't have any arch support. My merrells are good in the heel and arch but tend to feel a bit snug at the toes after a long walk. My feet are very hard to fit and I usually have to go very slow when I break in new foot wear and wear them in the house for awhile before I dare to walk outside with them.

I recently found scarpa moraine mid gtx. This ticks almost every box for me as far as fit and comfort. I will be buying some superfeet insoles so that I can switch back and forth depending on the walking surface. I had plantar fascitiis really bad in one foot and am a bit paranoid about it returning.

The amazing thing for me with these scarpas is that I haven't had to break them in. They were so comfortable the moment I put them on that I decided to wear them on a short hike but brought a second pair of shoes to change in to because I knew I couldn't wear these new shoes for too long. We walked 11 km and my feet were fine and I didn't have to change shoes. My husband was envious because his feet were a bit sore with his broken in merrells. He is still deciding on which shoes he will wear.

The only downfall for me is that these boots have gore-tex and I am afraid they might make my feet too warm but that is a small sacrifice for the comfort I have.

Great idea about buying an extra pair. I am going to consider that!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure if you've tried Lowa boots/shoes but they are available in the UK in wide sizes (extra last width is only in forefoot area it says). They are not the most durable product and cannot be resoled once worn down however they do provide good comfort out of the box and are relatively light.

http://lowa.co.uk/?product=renegade-gtx-mid-wide

You know, just in case you want to solidify the shoe counting contest!

It all depends on your feet. I have wide feet and LOVE Lowas! I can wear Keens for a while - up to a couple of miles, but can't hike in them.

With a large bunion on my right foot I've ended up with poor feet that needed a 4E and a 5E wide shoe.
In Australia I tried all the hiking and foot shops including Athletes Foot all to no avail.
I Even struggled to find a boot maker.
No joy. Kernes and Merrills came nowhere near.
Before the CF in 2014 I had a replacement for my Altberg boots shipped over for several hundred dollars, too small.
In the end I found Prophet US boots in 4E wide fittings and available through Amazon for less than 70 dollars. They work for me (Camp and Trail Walker styles).
Just recently I also found Drew shoes and boots 6E wide. CF here I come! Problem solved.

€149,-
I have a wide foot with bunions and for years wore LL Bean hiking boots in wide. They have changed their sizing (and my feet got bigger) so I have been lost. I have had good luck with men's wide rocky coast shoes, but these aren't solid enough for a long hike, I'm now breaking in Keen women's voyageur, not sold in wides, in hopes they will be ready for our Sept 4 start date. They have a nice wide toe box. I'm not affiliated with LLBean or Keen. Best of luck in your quest

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.