• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wide Hips - Backpack for Women

Dchell

Time of past OR future Camino
I hope you can help, I've spent hours and hours trying on backpacks with weights of 15lbs and 20lbs. I recently tried an Osprey Kyte 46 with 20 lbs and it seemed to work well, but the shoulder straps might be hitting my armpits too much as I was not aware until the REI staff mentioned it to me. Then I tried a 36 later in the week and then again back to a 46 both with 15 lbs. I then tried on other Osprey's with 15lbs. What I continuously run into is that the backpack continues to sway with my hips - but it didn't so much with the 20lbs. Most people say to stick with Osprey - but now I'm not so sure. We are planning to do the northern route next spring for 6 weeks and I just can't imagine the pack is supposed to sway that much. I'm quite frustrated. Has anyone run into this situation and did you ever find a pack that worked for you? Is this supposed to happen? Perhaps for the last 40+ years I have been walking wrong. ;) I would love any advice you have with this important piece of gear. Thanks! - Donna

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most people say to stick with Osprey
I don't have any brand to recommend, and I'm not sure why anyone would say to "stick with Osprey" unless they work for you. I have one and love it, but you should get the one that fits you best! Keep trying all brands.

Well, I know I'm not really fluent in English but if you think your hips are (too) wide I see it as an advantage. Because you shouldn't carry your bacpack on your shoulders (let's say NO more than 20% of the weight) rather than on your hips.

But overall I can only second C clearly advice that you should feel comfortable with it with all the gear in it!

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are many brands and Osprey is only one of the good ones. Keep searching different brands until you find one that feels right on you. The weight should be carried on your hips and no, it shouldn't sway.

I hope you can help, I've spent hours and hours trying on backpacks with weights of 15lbs and 20lbs. I recently tried an Osprey Kyte 46 with 20 lbs and it seemed to work well, but the shoulder straps might be hitting my armpits too much as I was not aware until the REI staff mentioned it to me. Then I tried a 36 later in the week and then again back to a 46 both with 15 lbs. I then tried on other Osprey's with 15lbs. What I continuously run into is that the backpack continues to sway with my hips - but it didn't so much with the 20lbs. Most people say to stick with Osprey - but now I'm not so sure. We are planning to do the northern route next spring for 6 weeks and I just can't imagine the pack is supposed to sway that much. I'm quite frustrated. Has anyone run into this situation and did you ever find a pack that worked for you? Is this supposed to happen? Perhaps for the last 40+ years I have been walking wrong. ;) I would love any advice you have with this important piece of gear. Thanks! - Donna

Hi Donna, when you say you are trying these packs with weights of 15 or 20lb, do you mean the staff are placing a weight in the pack while you try it on? In my experience, these weights (usually a bag of rice or similar) have a very (completely) different feel and behave quite differently to how your various "stuff" will feel. So a 20lb bag of rice versus a 20lb accumulation of clothes, toiletries, sleeping bag etc - totally different. I found when I tried packs on with the helpful store-provided weight bag, they felt weird and yes, the pack certainly swayed because it's a single lump of weight not distributed through the pack. If you want the pack to feel more realistic, try taking along (or borrowing from the store!) a pile of the kind of stuff you would put into your pack for a Camino. You may find it feels quite different and you will be able to get a more realistic feel for how it will sit.

Another thing - when you're training with a pack you usually increase the weight gradually, and get used to it with a small weight first before increasing. So again, trying the pack in the shop with the heaviest possible weight will feel very uncomfortable, and assuming you do plan to train with it before departure, is not realistic in terms of how it might feel if you built up gradually to carrying that weight (and hopefully you'll aim to be carrying less than 20lb in the end!). I know you want to know how it will feel when you do carry a full pack, but that's very hard to do in the store. Filling it as described above with "real stuff" should help a bit.

Good luck! And yes, as the others have said, Osprey isn't necessarily best for you. There are many brands, and some suit some people more than others.

Oh and one last thing - don't let the store staff try to limit you to trying on "women's" packs! Our bodies are all different, and many of us have ended up going with a so-called "man's" pack for a better fit, despite manufacturers' claims that they design specifically for "women's bodies". Ignore the brand, ignore the "gender" and go for the best fit for you. That goes for shoes as well.

I absolutely agree with the others that you need to find your own company for the best fit. That said, I use the Kyte when I'm carrying larger loads and I have, ahem, a few curves. I also use lighter Osprey packs but still do the same fittings with the straps. The only difference I notice between the larger and smaller Kyte is the side pockets on the larger version with a bit more width. I found I just fill them up so switched to the narrower version. Heights are the same and I have carried both on several international flights without any problems.

I'll go out on a proverbial limb here and risk the ire of forum members with their own techniques but this is just what works well for me carrying about 15 pounds. Apologies to all in advance and looking forward to hearing other opinions and learning something new.

First off, make sure the pack is sized right. You can use the chart on Osprey's website (or any other, I imagine) and measure from the bottom of your cervical spine to your hip bones. Check the measurements and choose the appropriate size..XS/S or S/M in women's Ospreys (I'm 5'8" and at the top range of the women's S/M). Turn the pack to the back and remove the hard plastic board, pulling it as long or short as you need it (I need it pulled out full length) and pressing on the Velcro to attach. Loosen up the shoulder and hip straps and put the pack on (throw a bit of weight in so it sits right), setting it on your hips. Cinch up the hips snug. This next part is weird but works until you get a feel for any pack. Jump up in the air a bit and pull down on both shoulder straps at the same time.

If the shoulder straps are hitting you in the pits, do you have the chest strap on? Try snugging it up a bit to pull the straps inward. And I always forget to tighten the straps in the back, at the top of the shoulder straps. They have a way of loosening up with use and that makes the pack sit out from your body at a weird angle. Most Ospreys already have a bit of air space so snugging it up at the top makes it fit better. That may also be why the shoulder straps are digging into your armpits and why you're getting the hip sway. There's too much slack on the top straps attached to the pack so things wiggle further south, too. My high school physics teacher would be so proud...

A couple of other things that work for me....I put more weight on the shoulders when going uphill by loosening up the hip belt a tiny bit. And just the reverse is true, too.. I put more weight on my hips going downhill by loosening up the shoulder straps. The theory is you don't want to be a top-heavy turtle as you're headed down but it just feels better to me, too. When I'm tired, I'll sometimes shift weight a wee bit here and there to see if it helps...and to alleviate boredom!

I usually put at least one heavy thing on top to keep most of the weight up high. Lots of different opinions on this one but I like the weight in the top third of the pack, especially since water sits in the middle in these packs.

Once you find a brand/style that works for you, it becomes a part of your body. You stop thinking about it and just automatically load up. And you get that really wonderful floating feeling for a moment when you take your pack off!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most people say to stick with Osprey - but now I'm not so sure.
As much as I love my Osprey packs for quick day hikes, after packing and repacking about 37 times I went with my Mammut Crea Light for both trips. For me and my kit it fit the best (and a camino kit is not the same thing you'd be packing for day hikes, backpacking or luggage). It has a full trampoline back and has the very short torso that I need. Once on me with my 7.5kg load (working on making this less), correctly adjusted, I can't feel it. I'm not selling you on the Mammut. I am selling you on the fact that your pack doesn't need to be a specific brand just because every one else is carry one!! And I agree with the others that say to bring or borrow camino kit to fill the packs when trying them on at the store. Buen camino!!

My wife has a Gregory Diva she loves, I saw a lot of Deuter German packs that were used a lot on the Camino as well. all of them can be found at REI in the U.S. Not sure what country your looking in.. Not everyone will fit the Osprey packs. A German woman had one that gave her blisters on her hips from the waist strap & had the same issues the OP mentions with the shoulder straps. I am not sure how small in liters the Gregory Diva gets my wife's is a Diva 50 but she insists on using it for the Camino because it is so comfortable for her.

Getting There and Purple Backpack have some excellent advice, above.

I have a Kyte 46, and properly adjusted it feels good. But when I tried it on in the store (Cotswold Outdoor in the UK) with their bags of sand or whatever it felt horrible, and I didn't like the way it felt at all.

But I bought it, took it home and played around with stuffing it with my own things, tested all the straps again, loosening and tightening, moving the chest strap to a lower position, and it felt so much better and different. Do some of this strap adjustment in front of a mirror so you can see how it looks on you. I wore the pack at home for several hours while doing household chores and decided it was good for me. Doing something like this will give you a much better feeling for the pack than pootling about in the shop with semi-solid lumps of weight, and you can always return the pack if you decide you don't like it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are lots of different brands, and, like shoes, what make or model suits one person does not suit another. That having been said, I love my Aarn pack.

As much as I love my Osprey packs for quick day hikes, after packing and repacking about 37 times I went with my Mammut Crea Light for both trips. For me and my kit it fit the best (and a camino kit is not the same thing you'd be packing for day hikes, backpacking or luggage). It has a full trampoline back and has the very short torso that I need. Once on me with my 7.5kg load (working on making this less), correctly adjusted, I can't feel it. I'm not selling you on the Mammut. I am selling you on the fact that your pack doesn't need to be a specific brand just because every one else is carry one!! And I agree with the others that say to bring or borrow camino kit to fill the packs when trying them on at the store. Buen camino!!

Well, now you did it. This looks like a sweet little pack that I now need to try on. ;)

There are lots of different brands, and, like shoes, what make or model suits one person does not suit another. That having been said, I love my Aarn pack.
Couldn't agree more Kanga. Have hiked with many different packs but the Aarn is the most comfortable and fits and sits so well.

Donna, don't laugh but backpack sway is a well documented and researched postural issue, particularly for women o_O

I'm assuming that you have knowledgable staff at your outdoor store that are helping with fit and selection. The only advice that I can offer is to trial load the pack with bulk not weight and ensure that the compression straps are all tightened. Are the hip belts all the same on the different pack sizes? Don't restrict yourself to hiking packs as some of the alpine or mountaineering ones might work. Also do take the advice of @GettingThere and look at some of the men's or unisex packs.

Do try other brands as well as Osprey is definitely not the only pack for the Camino. I would tempt you with an Aarn but don't know of their availability in the US (other forum members might help) and they are radically different. It's a love/hate thing ;)

Good luck with your search!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What I would need to know to make a more informed recommendation would be your height, build, and approximate weight. No, I / we are not being judgmental, but the solution might be simple. These base factors are key to making an informed recommendation.

Let me explain.

You mentioned the shoulder straps were "cutting" into your armpits. That could be a sign that the store clerk was trying to fit you into a Small/Medium sized harness / pack panel, instead of a Medium / Tall version of the same bag. Your torso length makes a difference. The better outdoor stores have plastic fitting frames for the better brand rucksack s that can help identify what size rucksack you need.

The difference is several inches vertically. With the proper bag size, and harness adjustment, the straps should not come anywhere near your armpits. If they measure you and, like me, you are at the cusp of going from medium to large, try BOTH size harnesses.

In the Osprey product line a typical rucksack capacity in a Medium / Large frame will be two liters LARGER than one in the Small / Medium harness size. For example, my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag, becomes a 46 liter bag if I had the smaller harness. However, it is still advertised as a 48 liter bag.

Also, and as others have commented, dead weight in the form of sandbags or rice, kitty litter, etc. rides differently than soft clothing you pack. I do not understand the physics. It just DOES.

If the rucksack waist belt is correctly located over your hips, and the shoulder harness correctly cinched so the top of the rucksack rides high and close to your shoulders (minimal air gap a the top), the rucksack SHOULD ride in parallel with the motion of your customary stride. The rucksack must be parallel to your spine, not at an angle. The pressure on both shoulders should be the same, as it should be for your hips.

If you waddle or wiggle normally, so too will your rucksack. This is normal. However, once the bag is correctly fitted and adjusted to YOU, the apparent motion should be no more pronounced than the rest of you. Remember, everyone is different. Your experience, fitting, and results with a certain rucksack will necessarily be different that others. We are all, literally, the sum of our pieces. No two skeletons are identical.

True too, the weight of the loaded rucksack is SUPPOSED to ride on your Iliac Crest, the large hoop bones of your hips. Now, if you were blessed with larger than usual Iliac Crests, your load will be relatively lighter to bear as you have a better quality built-in "shelf." I have a similar situation. I inherited my Sicilian grandmother's hips. So, my Osprey hip belt rides perfectly.;)

Also true, as others have said, there are other quality brands out there. Keep trying. Also, do not limit yourself to just "women's" rucksacks. Try everything. Buy what works best for you. Depending on your personal physical statistics, you might find than a rucksack designed for a man might just fit you better. I try women's rucksacks. Color aside, several Deuter brand rucksack come close to a perfect fit for me. You might try them, as others have mentioned.

As you do this, please keep in mind that the TWO MOST CRITICAL BITS OF GEAR you will invest in are your boots / shoes and your rucksack, in that order. You will wear them every day for a month or more. They will become part of you. They must fit you perfectly and be fully suitable to purpose. Shop accordingly.

When I remove my rucksack at the end of a day's walk, I feel naked. My Osprey Kestrel 48 is so well adjusted that it fits like a glove. It feels comfortable on my back. Yes, it can get hot, sweaty, and wet back there, but it is never uncomfortable or painful.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The most useful thing for me when I first went shopping for a technical backpack was to talk to a knowledgeable salesperson at my local outdoor store (REI). First he measured my back length, and while I am 5'6'' tall and wear medium size tops, he told me that I have a short back, not what I expected! So he steered me to the backpack options in the correct size range for me. I tried on several from Osprey, Deuter and other brands with added weight, and he showed me how to adjust each one to fit properly. This is all critical. They all felt very different, and I saw that some were narrow with a deep profile, and others were wider with a more close fitting profile, so the feeling of the added weight was different with each. I did not purchase on my first visit, but instead went home and continued to read comments on this forum, as well as reviews and buying guides available on-line, like this one from Outdoor Gear Lab:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Womens-Reviews/Buying-Advice
After another store visit or two, I narrowed my search and ended up ordering several models from REI so that I could try them out at home loaded with all of my actual gear, knowing that I could return the ones that I did not want. I settled on an Osprey Women's Aura AG 50, which was hands down the most comfortable for me because of its mesh suspension system. (In the short back size, the capacity is 47 liters). I think that it may be a little heavier than some others, but because it is so comfortable, I notice the overall load weight much less than I did with other brands.
As others have said, I would not get hung up on a particular brand, but would continue to try out many, seeking out expert advice from knowledgeable salespeople to make sure that you have the correct size, and are adjusting them correctly. I am not sure what you mean by the feeling of the backpack swaying too much, but I would describe that to the salesperson and see if the person can diagnose the problem and suggest strap adjustments that would minimize the problem. Good luck and don't get discouraged!

Go to your nearest REI or other outdoor store and try different packs (which it looks like you have already done). I love the Osprey packs but they just don't fit me quite like I would like. I ended up with a Deuter 40 + 10 (is now a 45 + 10). The hip belt fit better and the shoulder straps were more comfortable for me. I also have wide hips like you. And the Deuter pack is more adjustable. Be sure they measure your back so you get the right length. I thought I was a S/M and turns out I am an XS/S. The longer packers were hitting me too low on my back. Also, especially if you are bigger in the hips, a larger pack, 40-50 liters will fit you better in the hips with wider and more padded hip belts. You may only need a 25-35 liter pack but the larger pack will feel more comfortable on you. If you have problems with the backpack "swaying" you may not have the hip belt adjusted right. You will get more sway if you wear the hip belt above your hips on your iliac crest. It should fit around your hips below your iliac crest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also, especially if you are bigger in the hips, a larger pack, 40-50 liters will fit you better in the hips with wider and more padded hip belts.
Definitely ask about the hip belts.
I have an Aarn pack, and they have different size hip belts you can select, which can make a huge difference to support/comfort. (e.g. Pelvic Form Hipbelt (S) (L) ).

What I found to be helpful was to load a potential pack with the items that I would be carrying, rather than with the bags of weights at the store. This way you can practice loading and distributing the weight to be comfortable for you. I used 3 lightweight packing cubes to hold most of the things in the pack.

I am always trying to "fit the square peg in the round hole". The first pack I tried was the Kyte 46 but the back was never really comfortable. Finally I ordered a Sirrus 36 and love it. It appeared to be quite popular this year.

When I walked the Camino I really wanted an Osprey pack.....but they just didn't fit my body.....and that fit is the most important thing....I ended up with a Gregory Jade....a bit spacious....but cinched down it worked very well.....and fit so wonderful that never felt a thing anywhere....

So try try and try.....don't settle for what others are going with.....there is the right pack out there with your name on it!

When I walked the Camino I really wanted an Osprey pack.....but they just didn't fit my body.....and that fit is the most important thing....I ended up with a Gregory Jade....a bit spacious....but cinched down it worked very well.....and fit so wonderful that never felt a thing anywhere....

So try try and try.....don't settle for what others are going with.....there is the right pack out there with your name on it!

Haha! :D

Hi, Marilyn! I read your post quickly and got ready to chime in saying that I also have a Gregory pack, the women's Gregory Jade 50 (I have a size M so it's actually 55L). I love it, I have quite wide hips and the pack fits me perfectly. Then I thought I'd see who else has the Gregory and looked to see your name...

Once upon a time (for others reading this), Ivar used to have a photo of Marilyn's pack on here, complete with her forum patch, to show pilgrims what the patch looked like if they wanted to order one. I joined the forum in 2009 when I was planning for my first Camino, and I saw that photo of Marilyn's pack over and over again. It became my heart's desire and I ended up getting one of my own a few months later. The thing was, I had no idea yet who Marilyn was, and I had no idea she lived only about 30 minutes away from me! :D

When we found this out, she very kindly met me at the local hiking and outdoors shop, and spent about an hour and a half showing me around, pointing out things which had been especially helpful to her on her Camino (including a waterproof dry-bag pack liner which is far and away one of my most valued pieces of gear). She also gave me the wonderful gift of some sheep's wool for blister care, some of which I still have (and shared some of again on this year's Camino)!

That's an aside, but one worth mentioning, I think, as the ways in which we help each other here, and in real life, are long-lasting and ripple out into the world most definitely! Marilyn, I'm forever thankful to you. :)

Donna, I recently tried on an Osprey Aura 50, the one which Gail said she has. It's a women's model, and it's the first I've tried on with the thought of looking ahead to replacing my Gregory Jade 50. I felt a bit like I was cheating on my Jade to try on the Osprey (!) and I'm not quite ready to replace mine yet, but the Osprey Aura seemed like it might do the job (so if you can get your hands on a Gregory Jade, that might be a good fit for you).

Good luck, and Buen Camino!

Rachel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After the REI guy said the straps were wrong, did he say why? Did he adjust them? Did he suggest a different pack?
I don't mind the weighted bags they use, as long as they know how to properly load the weight, and cinch the pack to keep it from shifting. The folks at my REI used several bags--perhaps by limiting to a low weight he can't strap it down to keep it from shifting.
I'd agree with all of the sizing/strap advice already given, and that back length may be part of the problem ..someone really needs to measure (re-measure) you. My build fit a mens better than women's (good thing bc I refused to wear a pastel pack)...actually the best fit was a tall youth pack (I really liked that it had rules for good campers printed on it) but it was heavier and also not as rugged. I love my exos bc it fits, not bc it's "better"-- the best one for you is the one that fits. I have marched more miles than I want to recall in a one-size-fits-all (except small females) military pack---you will hate every step in an osprey if it doesn't fit. Go back, maybe try a different clerk. Perhaps explain your issues getting the fit right and see if there's someone who's the go-to guy/gal for that. If it's not working ask them to explain why, and reassure them that they can be frank--all you want is a pack that works (when life support would try to fit a harness they'd dance around the problem until I'd laugh and say 'I know there's not much to work with up here, I keep saying implants are a flight safety requirement.'

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.