• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wide Width Shoes

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Mary. Can you tell us your home country please otherwise any answers might not help much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mary, I recently bought a pair of Merrill Ventilators extra wides from Dicks. $89 US. Love them. Comfortable right out of the box. I do recommend trying them on before buying if possible. I bought a half size bigger then normal because my feet do swell, but because of the way Merrill's seem to be sized and the fact this model shoe kind of rolls up in the toe a bit, trying a few different sizes is recommended. I bought these because I'm walking starting in the first week of June and my Waterproof Keens were just too hot. I also replaced the foot bed with a set of Green Super Feet insoles because I prefer the increased arch support they provide. Hope this helps. Enjoy your shoe shopping.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll second the New Balance suggestion. Most of my day-to-day shoes come from there as well because they go up to 4E and 6E in some cases

As your boots/walking shoes are what will protect your feet/toes and carry you the (up to) 800km/500 m of the Camino this is an important decision. Definitely "try before you buy" - some US based retailers apparently do allow you to take the boots home and walk around (inside) for a few days. So if you can find one who follows this policy then certainly do it. As for brands - Keen (a US manufacturer - although the boots/shoes are made in China/Taiwan or Thailand) have a much wider last (foot fitting) so, even for a woman, they might be a better fit. Also fully support Dozer's suggestion ".. I also replaced the foot bed with a set of Green Super Feet insoles because I prefer the increased arch support they provide. . " You might want to have a discussion with your local podiatrist - after all they are the foot people. Buen Camino ;)o_O

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have the Merril Moab (many pairs) and some New Balance, but the widest by far are the Keen Utility series. Many of their work boots and shoes are just like the hiking shoes but they come with an extra wide option. Many have steel toes and very high tops, but look around their website.

I have wide feet, I bought the Merrill Sirens but ended up taken them back as they hurt the balls of my feet. I then bought Salomon Loma GTX Multi-sport Shoes they also come in a wide fit. They are much better. I walked in them yesterday for 18 klm.. no hot spots for the first day of wearing them. I think these will work out, I bought half size bigger for swelling. I use Vaseline before I put my socks on. I live in Canada , bought them at Sport Check.

Where to go to get well made WW shoes for the Camino...

I would buy HIKING BOOTS and only German or Italian made ones. Mine have leather lining and generous toe box. I use Zappos.com as they let you return for nothing and I just kept ordering two pair and trying them on over and over. "Zamberlan" and have the Gortex vents and the lining is very well constructed with no rough seams which cause blisters. Make sure your boots are waterproof as you will encounter water. (made in Germany) I also have a pair of "Hi-Tech" which are waterproof also and I bought those in Borgos, Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And the best hikers who I watched all use a "heel schtick" or vaseline type stuff on their feet before putting on their socks to keep the friction from happening between toes etc. I used the brand "compete" which I bought there. It's not cheap, but well worth it. My friend has wide feet and buys men's boots as they are cut more generously. Good luck.

I just got the New Balance 1210…trail runners, a newer shoe and built after research of ultra runners. It comes in wide widths. I have had on Merrel Azura in wide and keens marshals, but just not enough room in the toe box. I don't want gortex or anything heavy. I do hope the the NB 1210 will last for 500 miles, I do have some concerns but it does have vibram soles. I would be confident for 300 miles as that is my max for running shoes so I hope they will make it 500 miles of walking.

Your shoes will absolutely be good for 500 miles/800km.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Balance has the best true "wide" shoes. Ordered many online and kept returning them (free shipping on returns) until I got the right size. My wife ended up keeping one of the men's size that I was going to return for herself.

I would buy HIKING BOOTS and have the Gortex vents and the lining is very well constructed with no rough seams which cause blisters. Make sure your boots are waterproof as you will encounter water..

And I would not. We are all different.

Hi Mary,
I have very wide feet and have purchased both a pair of waterproof Keen leather boots and a pair of Keen non-waterproof hiking shoes. I find that both are very comfortable. I've put ~20 miles on the Keen hiking shoes and no problem. The Keen boots I've worn several days around the house and doing yard work. Also very comfortable. Since I live in the desert of Arizona and it is summer I always grab the hiking shoes they feel cooler but both the boot and shoes are very comfortable. I'm inclined to take the non-waterproof Keen hiking shoes on my camino next year because they are lighter and cooler. I'll probably bring a pair of Teva sandals as my backup. I wear them for about 6 months of the year in Arizona and never have blister problems wearing Tevas.

I find it interesting that some people do their entire Camino in Tevas.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!
Laura

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And the best hikers who I watched all use a "heel schtick" or vaseline type stuff on their feet before putting on their socks to keep the friction from happening between toes etc. I used the brand "compete" which I bought there. It's not cheap, but well worth it. My friend has wide feet and buys men's boots as they are cut more generously. Good luck.

"The best hikers"?? How do you become on of those? What is that? A best hiker?
You use what is best suited for you. And what works for you, may not work for others. So the best hiker would be someome who takes care of his feet as best as possible, not because there is some general rule to follow.

If you buy, as you advised in an earlier post, waterproof boots, they will with 98% surtainty be goretex, but goretex just isn't the best idea in all seasons. I dont think it is wise to advise someone to buy goretex boots for a (high) summer hike.

I have always worn Keen shoes as I have very wide feet in front, but still got blisters. I finally went to a podiatrist & in addition to giving me stuff to protect my bunion, etc. and recommending an insert to stabilize my foot, he was adamant that the only hiking shoes I should wear are New Balance because they come in widths of D & EE. I completed the Portugues this year with only minor foot issues (mostly caused by rubbing from the "protection") which was significantly different from my first two Camino walks when I had pretty bad blisters. So you might also try making a podiatrist appt & see what he/she recommends for your particular feet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"The best hikers"?? How do you become on of those? What is that? A best hiker?
You use what is best suited for you. And what works for you, may not work for others. So the best hiker would be someome who takes care of his feet as best as possible, not because there is some general rule to follow.

If you buy, as you advised in an earlier post, waterproof boots, they will with 98% surtainty be goretex, but goretex just isn't the best idea in all seasons. I dont think it is wise to advise someone to buy goretex boots for a (high) summer hike.
I apologize for using the "best hikers" as it seems to have offended. I merely meant "most experienced." Obviously what works for one might not work for another . . Thus the reason for a Forum. My boots are not gortex. The shoes that gave me blisters sure were though so we do agree on the downside of Gortex. Many here, however, love gortex. Again, what works for one does not for another. The boots I purchased in Borgos were made by High Tec and are leather uppers. I recently bought a 2nd pair of Zamberlan low-rise boots. They have some gortex in the venting at the ankle, but are lined with a soft, padded material. Buen Camino, my Friend.

Our boots are Hi-Tec, lightweight, leather, waterproof and breathable; and they are all that they claim. Great in rain or heat and just right for us. We also have a pair of Grisport - great boots in winter, heavier than the Hi-Tec, leather, waterproof but hot so not right IMO for the Camino. We keep them for training in the winter in the UK having worn them on a short walk in Spain last year when we found them sweaty. No blisters but we were only walking 10km days. The Hi-Tec will be going on the Camino again. The main Hi-Tec page now shows availability in a number of countries apart from the UK.
Both makes were bought for their width.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tia Valeria, I so agree on the Hi-Tec. I bought them in Borgos well after my feet were chewed up by Gortex trail shoes. i had been to a doctor to have them patched up. When I put on those Hi-Tecs I proceeded to walk the entire way without another problem. Not heavy and great on the hard rocks. It's all about an individual foot however and what works for one may not work for another.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.