• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wife can not walk the WAY, what are the options?

BEACHCOMBER

Time of past OR future Camino
PLAN FOR 2017
my wife had a accident several years ago and walks with a knee brace and cane in the house. we use a electric scooter when out and about.
if she tries to walk any distance, she suffers from screaming painful leg cramps.
the scooter can not be used in rain or mud.
I can not push her in a wheel chair.
does anyone have an idea?
does anyone know if she uses a taxi from alberque to alberque, and waits there for me.
can she get a Pilgrims passport? or even stay in a alberque?

beachcomber

A selection of Camino Jewellery
She certainly can get a pilgrims passport and her chances to stay in an albergue are better off season (not in July/August!)
Has she tried to use a light-weight wheelchair herself, without you helping her?
Have you looked into a supported tour?
What time of the year are you looking at?
Buen Camino, you know I am there to help, SY

She certainly can get a pilgrims passport and her chances to stay in an albergue are better off season (not in July/August!)
Has she tried to use a light-weight wheelchair herself, without you helping her?
Have you looked into a supported tour?
What time of the year are you looking at?
Buen Camino, you know I am there to help, SY

We are planning for the middle of April, 2017
a supported tour? I will look into that.
thanks so much.
beachcomber.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,

Apart from taxis and buses, the "Joëlette" wheelchair is a proven solution :
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/PelerinsParticuliers/Joelette.html
http://www.ferriol-matrat.com/fr/sport-loisir-adapte/randonnee/la-joelette-fauteuil-tout-terrain

But it needs a team of two/four people i.e. an organized group/association. "Compostelle 2000" has organized a supported camino from 2011, in 2015 from Carrion to Riego de Ambros. They plan a last leg to Santiago in 2016.
http://www.compostelle2000.org/index.php/Le-pelerinage-d-ete/le-pelerinage-d-ete-2015.html
http://www.compostelle2000.org/index.php/Le-pelerinage-d-ete/le-pelerinage-d-ete.html

I have no connection with them but I am sure they would be happy to help you somehow in your project.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a supported tour, you might contact Marly Camino. I used them on a Camino from Sarria to Santiago (they have others) with my wife and four friends (mostly ladies) last April. They use a small bus to support the walkers. They meet the walkers with the bus 3 or 4 times during each day (usually at a cafe) to ensure that everyone is doing okay. Your wife could just stay on the bus and then would be able to be a part of the Camino experience during the day, especially the best part, sitting around at a cafe drinking cafe-con-leche with everyone. It would certainly beat sitting around at the albergue waiting.

Their guides and bus drivers are FANTASTIC. If you decide to do this, you might ask to be on a tour with Victor as the driver. He is a wonderful, wonderful, human being.

Good luck in whatever you do. I truly admire you and your efforts to include your wife in your camino plans. My wife is not a "hiker" by any stretch of the imagination, but that camino experience has really meant a lot to her.

I am not in any way associated with Marly Camino nor receive any benefit from recommending them. I just know that they might have what you are looking for.

Buen Camino, Beachcomber.

http://marlycamino.com/

Last edited:
The supported tour sounds like a fantastic idea. I saw a number of groups using these small buses and they
seemed to be really enjoying themselves. A great way to be able to share the Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Isn't it good news that such supported groups exist as mentioned above. I recently went SJPdP to Santiago (my 2nd) to support my husband who was walking and cycling with a group. He has Younger Onset Dementia and we were raising awareness about the fact that young people (as young as 30's and 40's) can also be diagnosed with it. When they were cycling from Pamplona to Sarria there was no way that I could walk those days and stay close. I often caught taxis, part of the way between towns through this section, often because the bus only ran twice a week. As a general rule, cost was between 75 cents to €1 per kilometre. All drivers helpful and easy process to do. This might help you compare the cost with the above named companies eg marlycamino etc. I wish you both the best. Go for it. As mentioned, you're wife is eligible for a pilgrim's passport but unless she walks the last 100 kms, not eligible for a Compestela in Santiago. Buen Camino to you both.

As mentioned, you're wife is eligible for a pilgrim's passport but unless she walks the last 100 kms, not eligible for a Compestela in Santiago. Buen Camino to you both.

Hey, I won't tell (that she didn't walk) if you don't. ;):):D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Read James Michener's book Iberia. He calls the Camino one of three the three best trips in the world----and drives it. He meets with scholars at many stops, studies the culture and lore, and develops a deeper appreciation for the history, tradition and meaning of the trip than many who focus on just the physical act of walking.

... but unless she walks the last 100 kms, not eligible for a Compestela in Santiago. Buen Camino to you both.

Actually that is not true, the pilgrim office gives Compostelas also to wheelchair users, but @JohnnieWalker will be the best person to ask what the exact conditions are. Buen Camino, SY

Actually that is not true, the pilgrim office gives Compostelas also to wheelchair users, but @JohnnieWalker will be the best person to ask what the exact conditions are. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you. I obviously didn't know that. I'm glad there is something.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back