• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WiFi along route and which route to take

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a smart phone with you, you could just download an offline map on it? Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi SYates - thanks for the suggestion - any ideas of how i do that? (very new in the smartphone world, i am!) - or a source to get it? don't even know how to verbalize my questions in this respect, but any help or guidance would be much appreciated! :)

I use an App called Motion GPS, I think it costs around ~2 Euro, which allows me to download maps from open sources like http://www.openstreetmap.org Alternatively just navigate to that site in a browser and export a map.
Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi kanga - actually, the adapter i have is simply to plug a normal plug into it and then it into the wall - it does NOT allow for USBs - my computer, phone, and ccamera charger all plug into the wall. So I am still not sure if my question has bveen answered - in other words, this two-prongued adaptor i plug into the wall, and then each of my devices can be (taking turns) plugged into it via their chord with a plug at the end. so would i need anything additional? does this make sense, the way i have described it?
I got the 2 round prong adapter with 2 USB ports. I don't need an electrical converter as I'm not taking anything to electrical.

I recommend purchasing a local SIM card with a generous data allowance. Knowing that you can use that as a backup will mean less anxiety about availability of decent WiFi as you're walking.

I've just come across an interesting service for nomadic workers - It's a VPN that allows you to use both WiFi and mobile data together - highly configurable. Looks interesting, but I haven't tried it yet:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I can only answer one of your questions, the Camino Francés certainly has excellent coverage. For the other routes let's wait for the experts. I am especially interested to hear about the wifi situation on the VdlP. Buen Camino and welcome to the forum Emily! SY
Yeah! I agree with you.

Not all caminos have been massified and rural areas still don't get the same internet options as capitals. I often saw mobile routers in pensions and albergues in the rural areas. it's probably still 3G with 7,2 Mbits max. not several 100M that you can get with cable or fibre. Even with your own phone you share the bandwidth of the antenna!

Local coverage is often better with a foreign SIM, since roaming allows to connect to the best local provider.
For some time now the EU-roaming costs are equal to the local costs by law. If you are on Vodafone you should also get good rates in all countries they operate (e.g. Spain, Portugal).

I would recommend to by a charger with Euro-plug (CEE 7/16 or type C). It's very small and light, compared to UK-plug chargers/adapters. US/AUS/NZ type is also small and even the adapter is light, but the combination is far from rock-stable. So please spend the few euros for savety.

PS: I hardly remember how I found the way and kept contact with home 20years ago. How could I survive :eek:?
10 years later roaming was still costly but almost every bar had wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.