• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WiFi along route and which route to take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
none yet - hoping to do so this year, not sure which one yet
Hello All -
I am thinking about doing the Camino and am trying to debate which one is best for me - a good friend did the Camino del Norte - my window would be April/May or June/July/August - is April/May too early (i.e. possibly too cold) to do the Camino del Norte? If so, which one would you suggest for the earlier timeframe? I was told there would be fewer people during that earlier window, that is why I am leaning toward that one. However, if you have a strong suggestion for the latter window of time, let me know!

Also, I am thinking of staying in pensiones, guest houses, etc. (not albergues) and would like to know if some/all along the routes tend to have WiFi (and if it's dependable) - I will need it as I will have to do some work mixed in with the walking (i am a freelancer). THanks!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can only answer one of your questions, the Camino Francés certainly has excellent coverage. For the other routes let's wait for the experts. I am especially interested to hear about the wifi situation on the VdlP. Buen Camino and welcome to the forum Emily! SY

Last year we walked the Camino del Norte from Irun to Santiago, starting the second week of May and finishing towards the end of June. We did have quite a few overcast days and a couple of cold rainy ones, but mostly it was good for walking - not too hot, not too cold. We met another Australian who had walked the exact same route at the exact same time the year before, and she could not believe the difference in weather. The first time she walked it felt like summer and she swam in the sea most days - on our walk my swimsuit stayed firmly in my backpack til we got to Santiago, when it did start to get hot (late June).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry, forgot to address the wifi question - we found it pretty well everywhere - but we also had a local sim card for phone and data.

Hello All -
I am thinking about doing the Camino and am trying to debate which one is best for me - a good friend did the Camino del Norte - my window would be April/May or June/July/August - is April/May too early (i.e. possibly too cold) to do the Camino del Norte? If so, which one would you suggest for the earlier timeframe? I was told there would be fewer people during that earlier window, that is why I am leaning toward that one. However, if you have a strong suggestion for the latter window of time, let me know!

Also, I am thinking of staying in pensiones, guest houses, etc. (not albergues) and would like to know if some/all along the routes tend to have WiFi (and if it's dependable) - I will need it as I will have to do some work mixed in with the walking (i am a freelancer). THanks!!

Hi thanks to you who have responded! So a question to SYates - in light of what you say regarding the very dependable WiFi on the Camino Frances, would you say that the best window to do the Frances (combination of weather and number of people) would be April/May or June/July/August? Many thanks again!

And to Kanga - when you said that you found the WiFi to be pretty good everywhere, does that include the Camino Norte? Or the Frances? As you can see, I am still quite wide-open here on deciding and (unfortunately!) WiFi will be a key part of my decision to being able to justify doing the camino (sigh....)!! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
April/May is lovely because of green landscapes, June to August is a bit more busy and sun burned. I love also October and as a fellow freelancer I can confirm that wifi on the CF is completely sufficient (apart of little pockets like Rabanal) to get some serious work done. Setting aside a dedicated work day every 7-10 days also worked for me (sic!). Buen Camino, SY
PS Take a laptop, working on a phone, phablet, tablet or similar is just sooo tedious!

Hi Emily

I can't speak for the other Caminos but I am in the middle of the Via de la Plata (starting from Seville). I do about 8 days each year. For me, I choose this Camino for a number of reasons. (1) I like the heat and you are guaranteed warm / (hot) and dry weather most of the time from April to September. Starting down south in Seville, it can get really hot, which is why I am doing it in May. July and August could be far too hot. (2) The Via de la Plata is not as busy as the other Caminos. So, you have fewer (people) traffic on the route and there is not as much pressure on accommodation. (3) You do have good options on accommodation also, ranging from Albergues, to guest houses, to cost effective hotels and there is not too much competition for beds. (4) It is a longer Camino (I think the longest starting in Spain), approximately 1,000 Klm.
WiFi should not be too much of a problem. But it depends on the intensity of your work. I read and reply to work related emails without too much difficulty, but nothing more than that.
Another consideration is whether you are travelling alone. If you are, the Via de la Plata can be a quiet Camino in places. If you would prefer to be relatively close to people all the time, then you might not get that on the Via de la Plata. In fact, you won't. But I don't find that a problem.
So, for me, warm & dry weather, not too much traffic, and a long Camino made me decide on the Via de la Plata.
Buen Camino
Dave Murray

Ah, thanks so much, SYates!! I very much appreciate that - I am considering a one day on, one day off (i.e. working) plan, though will depend each day on what sort of work comes in (i.e. if on a given day I get none, I would walk more than one day in a row...). So another question - do you have suggestions for good websites where I can find pensiones, casas rurales, etc. (i.e not albergues, to enable me to work well without too much distraction) along the Frances that have WiFi? again, many thanks in advance!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Dave -

many thanks for taking time out of your Camino to give me your thoughts, very much appreciate it! Hope it all goes swimmingly for you!

... - do you have suggestions for good websites where I can find pensiones, casas rurales, etc. (i.e not albergues, to enable me to work well without too much distraction) along the Frances that have WiFi? again, many thanks in advance!!

Booking.com and airbnb.com are your friends there. Buen Camino, SY

For pensions, casa rurales, hostals and hotels along the CF use www.Gronze.com.
Regular tourist accommodation is printed in black and pilgrim places in brown ink. Info is listed in Spanish by location from east to west along the camino. Tap the name of the establishment for further info including their web. Booking.com links are also cited.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
many thanks to you both regarding where/how to find non-albergue accommodations! so i have read many comments about the pros/cons/possibilitty of getting reservations ahead - what do you guys say regarding how possible / needed it is to get all many/all or even just some of my non-albergue accommodateions set up IN ADVANCE (i.e before even setting foot on the Camino)?? i ask only because of this issue of being a freelancer and having to 'multi-task' (i.e. do the Camino AND some work interspersed) so i am not as able to 'wing it' in the sense that i have to have assurity that i will be able to get work done - so all that being said, what are your suggestions in how i should proceed? will there be so much 'competition ' for these places that i could end up sleeping under the stars :) or are there enough places so i can kind of plan as i go, once i am there? many thanks and a great Thursday to you!

I normally reserved max the previous day. Depending on the place and season there will be plenty of options and me guesses you are as used as I am to work in cafes and similar. Plenty of those, with wifi!, around on the Camino, SY

thanks, SYates - so i am still hoping to hear any others who might comment with as much detail as possible as to the WiFi availabilty along the Camino del Norte - trying now to decide between Norte and Frances.... taking into consideration weather as well....

and another question regarding the non-albergue accommodations - i have seen mention of casas rurales, pensiones, hostales, hotels, and possibly other options - how do these rank in terms of (generally speaking) cheapest to most expensive? also, do all of these types tend to have WiFi, or does it really go on a case-by-case basis?

my continuing thanks!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wifi is really, really common in Spain and really reliable also. A single bedroom with breakfast (sadly rarely before 8:00!) will typically set you back 20/25 Euro. It is all about location/competition and less about the ranks or stars an establishment has. Buen Camino, SY

a question for Kanga, hope you're still hanging around listening :) - so you said the WiFi was pretty good on the Camino del Norte - did you mean in bars/cafes and/or were there non-albergue accommodations that also seemed to have it pretty widespread? as you can tell, i am flopping back and forth between the Norte and Frances - seems like the Frances is quite more busy and so if the WiFi were reliable on the Norte, I am thinking that might be the way to go.

Also Kanga (and others who have done the Norte) - i read that the signage in places is non-existent - did you find that to be the case? were there points where you got lost, or almost did, or feared you would? i ask bc i will be doing it solo and what with the reduced number of people on the norte, i don't want to veer off the camino!

thanks!

The signage is good on the Norte, the coverage as well (this is actually a fairly densly populated area, just look at the sozeof towns and cities along the way). Food quality should not even be compared to the stuff served on the Frances and refered to as "pilgrim menu".

I would suggest you look at etapas on the Norte that seem reasonable for you, then go to the Gronze site to look at non-albergue accomodations or simply Google for lodging in those places. Their webistes will tell you if they have WIFI. Keep in mind that a lot of the lodging on the Norte is only open in high season, so spending a couple of hour this weekend on your computer figuring this out may be time well spent.

A basic pension will cost you 20-25€, a B&B casa rural could be 40 and up, maybe 100€ depending on the quality. Some are highly thought after properties for a lovely weekend in the countryside.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you check out gronze and also booking.com, they will tell you about places and also what time of year they are open, then you can often check accommodations' own websites. Many places are open 'low season'.
If you are going to have a fixed time table then booking over weekends (Friday and Saturday nights) is a good idea on the coastal sections of the Norte as they are busier then.
Thinking particularly about May Day weekend and Mothering Sunday which in Spain is in May. Once away from the coast then this is not an issue. Also calling ahead (or using internet) works well - maybe one or two days in advance.
This year we booked our days in Santiago before we left home as we had fixed dates.

many thanks to Anemone and Tia Valeria - I will do research by etapas and check out gronze and booking.com - my dates i think will have some flexibility, but i would like to have some of the bookings done ahead of time, if possible.

another lodging-related question - i am very much hoping NOT to bring a sleeping bag, and am wondering if i will need one if I plan on ONLY staying in non-albergue lodging options - do they have bedding such that I can save the space & weight and NOT bring one?

and which guide books do people use for the Camino Norte? if you know of any such resources that are available to download free online, please do let me know! i found one, "The Northern Ways to Santiago" but would like more if they are to be found.

Many thanks and buen camino to those currently hoofing it out there! :)

If you are only staying in pensiones, casa rurales and hotels bedding and towels will be provided.

Cicerone publishes and guide in English cor the Northern routes. If you speak Spanish take a look at the one published by Editorial Buen Camino and if you speak German Rother has one with great maps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ah, many thanks for the speedy reply, anemone - I just 'ran into' a notice about Editorial Buen Camino moments before you responded, and I will look at the other as well.

... another lodging-related question - i am very much hoping NOT to bring a sleeping bag, and am wondering if i will need one if I plan on ONLY staying in non-albergue lodging options - do they have bedding such that I can save the space & weight and NOT bring one? ...

Tourist accommodation in Spain is on a very high level, of course they will provide bedding for you! Buen Camino, SY

PS Just to clarify, I used the term tourist accommodation to distinguish it from classical pilgrims albergues and it was NOT meant as in any derogatory manner!

Thanks SY- and no worries, I get your wording usage fine - :)

I am debating hard between the Norte and Frances - anyone out there who has done both and might want to comment on which you preferred and why? this will be my first Camino, but I am in very good shape (serious runner and weight-lifter and walker/hiker) so what appears to be the more hilly up-and-down of the NOrte doesn't scare/intimidate me - i guess i am trying to weigh the much greater numbers of people on the Frances (i am leaning toward June & July to go) vs. the lesser-traveled Norte - but I also read that there are more monuments/historic places & sights along the Frances and more amenities, so then I wonder about that! I assume it will be cooler on the Norte, too, which might be nice in the summer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The CSJ UK guides to the Norte (Las Caminos del Norte A: 1& 2) give good directions and also list some accomodation and bars etc. If you are thinking of diverting onto the Primitivo (Caminos del Norte F) they also have that too which links in with the Norte booklet. Available from CSJ bookshop and cost £5 each. Postage may vary according to country.

Thanks SY- and no worries, I get your wording usage fine - :)

I am debating hard between the Norte and Frances - anyone out there who has done both and might want to comment on which you preferred and why? this will be my first Camino, but I am in very good shape (serious runner and weight-lifter and walker/hiker) so what appears to be the more hilly up-and-down of the NOrte doesn't scare/intimidate me - i guess i am trying to weigh the much greater numbers of people on the Frances (i am leaning toward June & July to go) vs. the lesser-traveled Norte - but I also read that there are more monuments/historic places & sights along the Frances and more amenities, so then I wonder about that! I assume it will be cooler on the Norte, too, which might be nice in the summer.

Well, those are your choices. The only caution I would make about the del Norte in the summer is that this is the vacation zone for Spaniards from Madrid and central Spain. Accordingly, accommodation will be more expensive in July than in the shoulder month of June. I have done the del Norte two and a half times and the place is quite wifid-- almost every hostal, hotel, and casa rural was well-connected, although in one or two places, one had to wifi from a bar or lounge. And the latter half of July is very crowded indeed in the last hundred km of the Camino. The Francese is more characterized by the pilgrim experience, with almost everything being oriented around the pilgrimage, while the del Norte passes through fishing and manufacturing centres which have their own lives, apart from the pilgrimage-- it's a different cultural experience.

thanks for those comments, oursonpolaire - i guess one thing that makes me wonder if the Frances is right for me is what sounds like HUGE numbers of people on it in the summer months....does it feel crowded on a day-to-day basis, or as one walks one doesn't necessarily sense that there are quite a few others on it because everyone stretches out so much? i am trying to get an idea of how crowded (or not) the Frances is and feels during the summer - any thoughts on that aspect?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thanks for those comments, oursonpolaire - i guess one thing that makes me wonder if the Frances is right for me is what sounds like HUGE numbers of people on it in the summer months....does it feel crowded on a day-to-day basis, or as one walks one doesn't necessarily sense that there are quite a few others on it because everyone stretches out so much? i am trying to get an idea of how crowded (or not) the Frances is and feels during the summer - any thoughts on that aspect?
It's not only the huge numbers on the Frances but since the Camino is so pilgrim oriented, and not "real life/tourist" oriented, I don't know how you would do in hotels and pensions all the way. @Robo might be able to ser me straight on this matter when it comes to the Frances.

hello all - i guess my question to all of you who have done the Frances in the summer months (especially June & July), is: are you constantly 'wading through' large numbers of people as you walk? in other words, do the numbers of people make the Camino feel CROWDED a lot or some of the time? or do the numbers not sseem so large, given that people spread out? i am trying to get a sense of how much people bunch up so that as i would be walking it would feel like a 'rush hour' or something, does that make sense?

and a question to Anemone: i am not sure i understand what you mean when you say above "I don't know how you would do in hotels and pensions all the way" - does this mean you think there are not enough non-albergue options along the Frances? or they might all be full? or what? bc i feel i have heard that there are a lot such options along the Frances. if you could clarify your comment, that would be terrific!

@La Tia Orgullosa I walked both the Norte and the Francés last year (2015). Wifi on both was good, although it is not continuous, there are areas on both trails where you will be without wifi and of course during the day between towns. If you need connection for work I would buy a local sim card with plenty of data as a backup to wifi - I suggest Labora or Orange for prepaid (check out the thread tag for SIM cards). Labora I think you can order over the internet and set up in advance. I doubt the Primitivo option (on the Norte) would be a good option for you as it is more remote and rural - we did not take it but stayed on the Norte.

In terms of private accommodation the Norte has plenty because it is primarily a tourist and holiday destination. On the CF accommodation is more geared to walking pilgrims but there are alternatives to albergues. In high summer, July/August, on either Camino for private accommodation you would be wise to book at least a day ahead. If you are sure of your destination for each night you can book the whole route before you leave home using the direct telephone numbers and email addresses provided in many guide books (Miam Miam Dodo for the Francés, the Cicerone guide to The Northern Caminos for the Norte) or Booking.com and airbnb.com. I have one friend who prebooked her whole Camino del Norte months in advance. The trick is to get the distances right - which I would never be able to do. Underestimate is my suggestion. Also carefully check the location of your proposed accommodation by looking at it on a Google map in relation to the Camino - what seems "close" to a car driver is not for a walker. A five minute drive in a car can be an hour's walk. Many Casa Rurals (bed and breskfast - some very luxurious) will collect and return you to the Camino - their websites will usually say so.

Personaly I would hate to be so organised but sometimes "needs must".

hello all - i guess my question to all of you who have done the Frances in the summer months (especially June & July), is: are you constantly 'wading through' large numbers of people as you walk? in other words, do the numbers of people make the Camino feel CROWDED a lot or some of the time? or do the numbers not sseem so large, given that people spread out? i am trying to get a sense of how much people bunch up so that as i would be walking it would feel like a 'rush hour' or something, does that make sense?

and a question to Anemone: i am not sure i understand what you mean when you say above "I don't know how you would do in hotels and pensions all the way" - does this mean you think there are not enough non-albergue options along the Frances? or they might all be full? or what? bc i feel i have heard that there are a lot such options along the Frances. if you could clarify your comment, that would be terrific!
Yes, I was trying to think of the places where I have stayed, and some are tinty, tiny, so no other option than an albergue, but maybe you are able to plan on differnt stages to always find an alternative. @Robo walked this way last year, so it must be possible, you just lose a lot of flexibilty.

Regarding how busy the route is, how happy or annoyed would you be always having people in sight in front or in back of you? Do you prefer longer solitary stretches? How do you feel about all your rest stops/eateries already being occupied by other pilgrims? I, for exemple, get annoyed when I am observing a bird and It flies away because therés a bunch of chattering pilgrims arriving in the distance. I get annoyed by large groups singing loudly while I'm in a beautiful and otherwise calming forest. I like having people pass me every so hour or so, and walk with them for 15 minutes, or joinging someone at their table for cafe con leche, lunch, dinner or a midday break. And at the end of the day I am sometimes looking for someone to walk with me to set a tempo otherwise I may feel I will never make the last 2 km.

thanks for that very detailed information and perspectives, kanga and anemone, much appreciated! you have given me much to think about... i definitely do not want tons of people all around me all the time, though since i will be going alone, it would be nice to not walk alone all day every day, but rather have some folks along the Camino at the same time, just not flooded with people.... so i will have to ponder that a little more.... it also seems that the weather might be a tad better (i.e. not so hoT) on the Norte in the summer, is that right? many variables to weigh! though i know that whichever I choose will be amazing.

NO, NO, weather will be such as scorching on the Norte as on the CF. One grows grapes, one tans people who will then pay €€€ to get rid of wrikles!

hahaha, that is funny, Anemone! :)

so i am pretty close to deciding to do the Norte - i figure having smaller crowds/fewer people might make for a better experience for me on this first Camino I do..... so that end, I am wondering, those of you who have done the Norte and traveled to Spain from the U.S., how did you get to Irun? Fly into Biarritz and then take a train or bus? Or fly into Madrid and then take a train or bus? I am trying to think of a combination of the elements of money and time...

one more question to add to the one i sent just a little while ago: I am confused as to the difference between the pilgrim's passport and the credencial (or are there more than one credencial?) - can i wait UNTIL i get to the starting of the Camino (i think Irun) and get my passport and credencial there? or must i arrange for one or both prior to leaving the US? sorry for what might seem like a dumb question, but i really am confused! ;) thanks again to all for answers to this and my previous posting!

and a related question to my last one - as i will be mostly/only staying in non-albergue lodging, will those establishments also have the ability to stamp my passport? because what i am reading only mentions albergues and some bars....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
difference between the pilgrim's passport and the credencial
There is no difference except language. "Credencial" is the correct name in Spanish but some people call it a "pilgrim's passport." You can get it at various places after you have arrived - someone else may answer about Irun. Getting it beforehand eliminates the need to find a place that has them. (By the way, don't confuse it with the "compostela," which is a certificate issued at the Santiago pilgrim office to qualifying pilgrims who show their stamped credential.)
non-albergue lodging, will those establishments also have the ability to stamp my passport?
Most hotels, etc., along the route will stamp your credencial. (I haven't walked the Norte, but this was true on the Camino Frances, and I'd expect it to be so on the Norte!)

and yes, if anyone has suggestions/advice about how best to get from the U.S. to Irun (taking both time and money into consideration), I'd be so appreciative! as I see it, there are two main options - fly into Biarritz and then go overland (train? bus?) to Irun - or maybe fly into Madrid and then take a train or a bus to Irun? anyway, thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With some of the changes to the recognised credencial it is worth checking out if the American Pilgrims is a recognised issuer this year. Ivar's credenciales are 'official' so you could order one now here on the forum.
April/May is a lovely time to walk the Norte with all the spring flowers and the weather should be warming up but not too hot.:) Fewer tourists/holiday makers too at that time apart from weekends.

many thanks, SY - i will take a look at that site! i really do appreciate all your help and good suggestions. so i did some snooping online last night and found this site that issues free credenciales - American Pilgrims on the Camino (http://americanpilgrims.com/camino/credential_req.html) -- is this place kosher? and in your experience, even if it does issue the official accepted credencial, is it 'cooler' to get one in Spain?

They state on their website:
"American Pilgrims on the Camino is pleased to provide credentials authorized by the Pilgrims Office in Santiago de Compostela."
So you will be fine ;-) As for cooler, it really depends what you mean by that ...
Buen Camino, SY

ah, many thanks, SY - i guess what i mean is that would there be more 'cachet' getting it in Spain because, well, the Camino is (mostly) in Spain and thus something issued by an entity that is in-country might have a more 'indigenous' look - but maybe all credenciales, regardless where they're issued look exactly the same? i don't know.

Easy way out of that dilemma: Get one from the American pilgrims association and one on arrival in Irun, see which one you like better and anyway, you might anyway need two depending on how much of a stamp collector you turn out to be ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The one that truly stands out of the huge one from the CSJ, reserved for its members, its Pilgrim Record. Problem is it gets damaged easily as it is not easy pack away.

The one that truly stands out of the huge one from the CSJ, reserved for its members, its Pilgrim Record. Problem is it gets damaged easily as it is not easy pack away.
We put ours into a resealable food bag and slid them into the bladder pocket of our packs. We don't use a bladder so this makes a great place to store papers etc. and nothing kept there has got damaged. Easy to get at as we fold the top of the bag over the top of the pocket so it is held there and doesn't slip inside.

hello all and buen camino to those out there hoofing it right now! a question on guidebooks - to those of you who are currently doing or have done the Camino del Norte, which guidebook is the clearest, with the most amount of information, good maps of each etapa, with lodging ideas, cultural/historic and other sights to see in each spot, etc.?? i have found these, and want to know your opinion (or if none of these are great, please tell me which one is your favorite) -
Guía Práctica del Camino de Santiago: Camino del Norte (Costa y Primitivo), 8a Edición (2016), Editorial Buen Camino (NOT available on Amazon) OR from Cicerone Press and available on Amazon – Pilgrim Route – The Northern Caminos by Dave Whitson, Laura Perazzoli

thanks much!!!

it can be in Eng or Span - most important thing is for it to be comprehensive and clearly laid out with good maps for each stage/day and lodging, etc.. thanks!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sorry, meant to add: i am not interested in GENERAL books on the Camino - i would like it to be SPECIFIC to the Camino del Norte!

thanks!!

Editorial Buen Camino has a specific guide for the Norte and Primitivo. Not super great in terms of culture, but great sketched maps and comments on the albergues. This being said, beggars can't be chosers and there are only a handful of guides put there for those routes and I doubt anyone of them will meet your standards. But they will get you to destination day after day.

thanks, anemone - i am sure i will find one that meets my standards! they aren't so high!

so another question to all of you out there - i am about to book my flight to spain and am trying to find train schedules (with actual departure and arrival times and dates) for Madrid to Irun to see if I will have to spend the night in Madrid when i arrive or not - but cannot find schedules anywhere - any ideas?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
sorry, meant to add: i am not interested in GENERAL books on the Camino - i would like it to be SPECIFIC to the Camino del Norte!

thanks!!

I' m thinking of walking 'el norte' and I have bought the 'Cicerone guide: the northern caminos' by Laura Perazzoli and Dave Whitson, includes the Norte, Primitivo and Inglés. Looks good to me so far but I'm a newbee..:)

thanks, domigee -

so i have now been looking for over an hour and i can't find timetables/schedules ANYWHERE for the trains that run between madrid and irun - it appears reservations are not accepted before two or three months in advance, but i am unable to even see the departure times and dates from madrid!! i am so frustrated!! if anyone can point me to where i can learn this info, i would be MOST appreciative.

thanks, domigee -

so i have now been looking for over an hour and i can't find timetables/schedules ANYWHERE for the trains that run between madrid and irun - it appears reservations are not accepted before two or three months in advance, but i am unable to even see the departure times and dates from madrid!! i am so frustrated!! if anyone can point me to where i can learn this info, i would be MOST appreciative.

Train times are usually only posted about 2 months in advance, so if you are searching further out than that you won't see anything. Try looking for a date within the next 2 months - that will give you an idea of what will be available when you travel (the times don't usually change a lot, although you'll need to check again nearer the time).

ah, many thanks, Getting There! that is what i began to surmise, so that's a good suggestion and I will also search in earnest about 2 months out from my date of departure - thanks!!

ah, many thanks, SY - i guess what i mean is that would there be more 'cachet' getting it in Spain because, well, the Camino is (mostly) in Spain and thus something issued by an entity that is in-country might have a more 'indigenous' look - but maybe all credenciales, regardless where they're issued look exactly the same? i don't know.

Hi, Tia,
Credenciales don't all look the same. But the biggest difference, IMO, is that the credenciales issued by the cathedral and hence the credencial you will get in Spain is printed on a very low quality paper. One rain and it's done. I don't know where you are located, but, for instance, the APOC (American Pilgrims) credencial is on a much sturdier paper.

Buen camino, Laurie

thanks, Laurie! i live in the US and am thinking of getting it from them - that is a very good point, i hadn't thought of that and no one had mentioned that yet - i will definittely go ahead with my plan to get it from them in the US before leaving, then. thanks y buen camino para ti tambien!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hello all and buen camino to those out there hoofing it right now! a question on guidebooks - to those of you who are currently doing or have done the Camino del Norte, which guidebook is the clearest, with the most amount of information, good maps of each etapa, with lodging ideas, cultural/historic and other sights to see in each spot, etc.?? i have found these, and want to know your opinion (or if none of these are great, please tell me which one is your favorite) -
Guía Práctica del Camino de Santiago: Camino del Norte (Costa y Primitivo), 8a Edición (2016), Editorial Buen Camino (NOT available on Amazon) OR from Cicerone Press and available on Amazon – Pilgrim Route – The Northern Caminos by Dave Whitson, Laura Perazzoli

thanks much!!!

it can be in Eng or Span - most important thing is for it to be comprehensive and clearly laid out with good maps for each stage/day and lodging, etc.. thanks!!

I would use the Eroski site, which can be downloaded for free on your smartphone if you carry one:
Frances: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/
Norte: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

I have walked both the Frances and the Norte, and I would say that the Norte is more beautiful with all those drop dead gorgeous coastal walks. BUT... If I were going to start out on the Camino for the first time, I would start with the Frances. If you want beautiful scenery, then go for the Norte. But as Kanga and others have said, the Norte goes through many beautiful touristy towns where the focus is not the Camino but the tourists. But if you are looking for that elusive "camino" experience, even though the crowds are much greater than on the Norte and the commercialization of has reached epic proportions, I would still say that the Frances is the place to be.

thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, peregrina2000 - i will absolutely do the Norte the 'epic proportions' of commercialization to me is a huge turnoff, i would think that might negatively impact my Camino experience - that, plus the huge crowds. i am looking forward to it!!

The 'epic proportion of commercialisation' is offset by the 'epic proportion of multicultural encounter' on the camino Francés. Buen Camino, SY

Last edited:
I didn't see epic commercialization in October - November.
The 'epic proportion of commercialisation' is set off by the 'epic proportion of multicultural encounter' on the camino Francés. Buen Camino, SY
By the way, @SYates, since I know English is not your first language, I'll make a small correction; I think you mean it is "offset" which is, oddly, quite different than "set off"!

Greetings, everyone - I am now beginning the nitty-gritty of finding lodging for my first few nights - my thinking is I will try to set up reservations for the first 4 or 5 nights now and then make my reservations one or 2 days in advance once I have begun the Camino. I will be doing the Norte, starting June 16 - a general question for everyone and then a specific one for those who have done the Norte: (1) will it be possible for me to make reservations this far in advance? (2) I have sent emails to a few pensiones in Irun I saw on gronze.com and northercaminos.com - would any of you have any suggestions for non-albergue lodging for Irun that are not listed on those two sites? Many thanks again!

actually, let me add to the second question - if you have suggestions for the next stopping points after irun, covering the first week of my Camino, that would be excellent to hear as well! :)

and another related question - do people suggest booking directly with the pensiones or through booking.com or some other such outfit? which is the safest in terms of the reservation really being made and made correctly? thanks! and is there an additional cost if it do it through the latter?

The accommodation pays a fee to booking.com if you use that service, so obviously they prefer you to reserve directly if you can. They have a contract that guarantees booking.com that the price through the agency will be no higher than if made directly, but I often found that if I booked directly I would get a free breakfast or better room or other "perk".

Be careful if using a booking agency that you look properly at the location of the establishment - what is considered "close" or at a particular place may actually be quite a few kilometres from your intended stop. Easy in a car, not at the end of 20km of walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thanks, Kanga, that is very good advice, and I will attempt to book directly as you suggest. so how would you suggest I find out how close they actually are to the Camino? i guees by the number of km? although maybe they would not give that so i would have to have that be a standard part of my emails to places when asking if they have availability

@La Tia Orgullosa on the Norte I found that anywhere recommended in the guidebook The Northern Caminos (Cicerone) was always right on the path and although the book does not give details always turned out to be a good choice. If the suggested accommodation was not available for any reason (phone number not answering, or "complet") we would use Eroski or the booking.com app. When using the latter two there is always a location map (google) which we would look at to check proximity to the Camino.

I don't book more than a day ahead, but my friend Catherine who also walked this route booked everything months ahead. She used booking.com, websites and email addresses. Sometimes she had to take buses or taxis to keep to her planned stages. Although the booking.com app in many instances says you can cancel, not within the last day or two which means there is a financial penalty for changing plans.

Another thing, do not be misled by "last available booking" or "95% of accommodation at your chosen location has been booked" type of messages on booking.com or other commercial agencies. It just means that the rooms allocated to that service have been booked. Again, worth ringing direct, even if you have to look it up on the internet.

ah, many thanks again, kanga! yes, i remember you mentioned some postings back about your friend who fully booked all of her lodging months in advance - i simply want to do the first few days and then go day to day. but thanks for the advice aobut the Ciccerone book, I am thinking I will get that one, seems to be the one most used/admired for the Norte.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
kanga, are you referring to the 'viajeeroski.es' website? (bc other than that i only find a supermarket chain) - and does anyone have ideas of lodging for Hendaya? i'll be taking the train fromn madrid to irun - does it make sense to then go to hendaya and spend the night there prior to getting started on the Camino the next day? i want to stay in irun, but the three places i emailed yesterday have yet to respond so am wondering if i need to consider looking at hendaya as well. or maybe the fact that a day has gone by means nothing and i should give them more time to respond?

kanga, so i just want to make sure wiht you: while i have yet to purchase the ciccerone book (though i will soon), i have been looking at their online accommondations page (northerncaminos.com) - so you were saying in a previous post to me that by definition, all lodging options they include in their book (and the website, given they say it is the same thing as the book, on their website) are ON the camino - i do not have to check it to make sure? i can just trust that this is the case and not look at distances or anytyhing? that would make it so much simpler, and i understand taht is what you said, i just want to really make sure!! thanks!

and another question to anyone and everyone who has stayed at non-albergue lodging options: i just now received a response email from Pension Bowling in Irun confirming that the date I want to stay there they have free and giving me the option, as a way of firming up the reservation, of wiring the money (which i don't want to do bc of the wire charges) OR provide my credit card # and expiry date. is this safe? i am trying to go straight through them as someone above suggested, as opposed to booking.com, but before i do i want to know people's sense as to the wisdom of this - giving out my credit card info makes me a bit nervous..... please be quite honest/frank in your responses~!!~ many thanks

A call to anyone who has stayed in a non-albergue housing option in Irun - Pension Bowling and Pension Fronterizos are mentioned on the Cicerone website (The Northern Caminos) and gonze.com - but the reviews on Trip Advisor are negative for both of them..... does anyone have places in Irun they've stayed that you would recommend? Ideally not on the very-pricey end of the scale! :) Many thanks.

@La Tia Orgullosa yes, all the accommodation listed in the Cicerone guide is on the Camino, or very close.

The other websites are here - Gronze and here - Eroski

Just go to the section you want.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Greetings everyone! So I am researching power adapters and converters - first off, I am not at all clear what the difference is between them, or if they might actually be the same thing. - ---??? So my question - what have you used in Spain for US-made products? what i will have that needs to be 'juiced up' will be my camera, cell phone, and notebook computer. i have a 2-pronged thing which is labaled for 'southern europe' which i think i need, but if anyone can tell me exactly what they brought (with pix, ideally), i would appreciate it!

If your devices all coonect through a usb then you just need the two pronged adaptor that plugs in the wall. I bought one in Spain with two usb outlets. It was cheaper than buying one here. I have seen them with four usb outlets but they are harder to find. They would be very useful in albergues, where there is competition for power points.

hi kanga - actually, the adapter i have is simply to plug a normal plug into it and then it into the wall - it does NOT allow for USBs - my computer, phone, and ccamera charger all plug into the wall. So I am still not sure if my question has bveen answered - in other words, this two-prongued adaptor i plug into the wall, and then each of my devices can be (taking turns) plugged into it via their chord with a plug at the end. so would i need anything additional? does this make sense, the way i have described it?

Yes, it sounds fine. Just means you are confined to charging only one device at a time and taking up one powerpoint. Interesting difference; all mine plug into a usb charger.

the adapter i have is simply to plug a normal plug into it and then it into the wall - it does NOT allow for USBs - my computer, phone, and ccamera charger all plug into the wall. So I am still not sure if my question has bveen answered - in other words, this two-prongued adaptor i plug into the wall, and then each of my devices can be (taking turns) plugged into it via their chord with a plug at the end. so would i need anything additional? does this make sense, the way i have described it?
Yes you have it correct. This type of adapter is all you need for any modern electronic devices like phone, computer, camera. (But hair drier and other devices may need a voltage converter.) You plug your charger into this and then into the wall. It is easy to pull out the charger and leave the adapter behind, so I keep them stuck together with duct tape. These are very inexpensive and small, so consider taking 2. (Not so easy to find there, but you could just buy a USB charger with the European plug.)
download.jpg

another question to all of you out there who have done (or are doing) the Camino del Norte - what are your thoughts on using walking poles? how necessary/useful are they? i am a good walker and hiker and have good balance and have never used poles anywhere, so I am curious about this. in your answers, if you say you DO think they are useful, please let me know HOW they are useful (i.e. just for hills, for balance, for some other reason). many thanks!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are young, fit, and used to hiking with a pack and without sticks you don't need them. If you are like me and need every bit of assistance, you do. They help to balance my pack, stop me from twisting my ankles, guide me over rough ground, and up and down slopes. Plus they give me extra power by pushing through my upper body on inclines or on the flat.

I was interested in a video posted on another thread, showing a group of young, very fit through-hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail. They all carried 2 trekking sticks, although they did not use them all the time.

wow, kanga, another fantastically useful answer!!! many thanks, that really does give me something to think about! i appreciate it. if anyone else has similar/other/different thoughts, i'd love to hear them!!

They take a bit of getting used to @La Tia Orgullosa, it took me some time to learn to use them with the natural swing of my arms. Getting the hand hold right is important. Worth looking at some You Tube videos on technique.

Poles can prevent a pilgrimage-ending injury or fall for the infirm and the healthy. You wear a seatbelt for a car accident that may never happen. Trekking poles are a similar preventive! I met a pilgrim who broke her arm falling in the shower. Trekking poles would have prevented that... ;);)

hahahaha, falcon269, that was a funny last comment! thanks a lot and i will take what you say into consideration - possibly even beginning to shower with them! :)

Hello all after a couple months' absence from this terrific online community - i am wanting to buy my train tickets on Renfe to go from Madrid to Irun - i want to go from whichever madrid station is CLOSEST to the international airport (i.e. i will be flying in from the U.S. and want to immediately take a train to Irun) - what is the name of the closest train station to the international airport? also, what is the name of hte station in Irun? seems i saw more than one. many thanks!!

and i guess an added/related question is: is Renfe the company i should look at? not sure if they go nonstop? i would very much like it to be nonstop (or at least, if there are stops, that i don't have to change trains)

It's not as if trains in all directions leave from every station. Just look up the Renfe website and see what is available from Madrid to Irun. And you may be able to get in earlier by taking a train that is in the middle of the city vs closer to the airport. After all, distances are not huge in and around madrid. Chamartin is closer to the airport than Atocha.

ah, yes, many thanks Anemone del Camino! the website was being difficult but finally i was able to pull up the schedule - unfortunately, no possible, so i will be taking a bus, but it looks like it takes only 30 minutes longer, so it's all good! thanks again

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello All!

Any thoughts on multi-use rail passes that will save me $$$ on train travel within Spain? I will have anywhere from 2-4 weeks in Spain following the end of the Camino, and am very desirous of doing as much of the overland travel as i can via trains. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hello All!

Any thoughts on multi-use rail passes that will save me $$$ on train travel within Spain? I will have anywhere from 2-4 weeks in Spain following the end of the Camino, and am very desirous of doing as much of the overland travel as i can via trains. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

If you are over 60 the Senior Discount card is one way you can save money on RENFE trains in Spain.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

ah, many thanks but i have yet to reach true wisdom :) and still find myself under 60!

many thanks, mspath, i will look into this - and if anyone has other suggestions as well (or desire to vouch for this one) please do let me know. a happy weekend to all.

hello all - does anyone have suggestions for hostels, casas rurales, pensiones, etc. in Finisterre? Just trying to get a look ahead down the Camino! many thanks in advance -

€60,-
Greetings all - please let me know, any of you, about non-albergue lodging possibilities (ideally with WiFi) along the Primitivo - if you have suggestions of specific establishments, that would be great, otherwise, just the degree of prevalence.

Also, would love to hear people weigh in as to what they prefer: remaining on the Norte vs. taking the Primitivo, and why.

THanks!!

and one additional question - three now for you to answer for me! - in the Laura Perzzoli & Dave Whitson book on the Northern Caminos they suggest buying the Northern Spain Adventure May #3306 from National Geographic for an overall view of the Camino (not a specific stage-by-stage detailed view) - do all of you agree? or is this unncessary weight to be carrying around? or if you have a suggestion of a different map that is better suited, please let meknow.

again, many many thanks to you all!!!

Greetings all - please let me know, any of you, about non-albergue lodging possibilities (ideally with WiFi) along the Primitivo - if you have suggestions of specific establishments, that would be great, otherwise, just the degree of prevalence.

Also, would love to hear people weigh in as to what they prefer: remaining on the Norte vs. taking the Primitivo, and why.

THanks!!
For non albergue accommodation along the Primitivo try this Gronze.com list.
Tap on each Etapa to see the info. Although albergues are printed in brown ink, regular tourist accommodation is in black. Specific websites are generally cited when available as well as links to Booking.com.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thanks, mspath!

so does anyone have a thought on the map question i asked above, whether it's worth it to bring the Northern Spain Adventure May #3306 from National Geographic for an overall view of the Camino (not a specific stage-by-stage detailed view)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.