• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wifi along the Camino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dislp38

Where are the best places to find Wifi along the Camino. I'm bringing an ipod touch and a net book so I can Skype.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

Most locations I visited had either a free internet, or a pay to play site near the albergues. In the larger towns there was limited Wifi...but it can be found in some bars and hotels...you just need to look.

At some point, I'm sure someone will put out a guide...may already exist.

Of course, not communicating while on Camino...may be the best Way to communicate of them all.

regards,
Arn

I'm bringing an ipod touch and a net book so I can Skype.

The question that immediately comes to mind is ...... Why??????

Buen Camino,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
dislp38 said:
why? I have a mother with a health issue and job that I need to be in contact with. And I'm also a "techie"
I am also a "techie" so I understand you. If you have the newest ipod touch (with microphone) you cold use the "fring" app to use skype on the ipod. I use it on the iPhone. This way you do not need to bring the netbook.

Many cafes have free wifi, some wide open, some of them has set up a password on the wifi. If so, you need to be a paying customer to get access to the net.

Once in Santiago, stop by my office and I will get you access here.

Saludos,
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think we all have our own reasons for wanting to connect to the internet. Me, I'm used to my friends & family being "all up in my grill" (I've been dying to use that quote from Shrek), cuz I'm all up in theirs too. :) I don't like feeling disconnected from them for long periods of time. Whether we like it or not, hopping on the internet & shooting off an email or blog entry has become as commonplace as making a phone call.

Kelly

Did I read that correctly- Johnny Walker had his humerus bone removed? That will make for an interesting next Camino. :?

I think new peregrinos come to this site not just for the cold hard facts about backpacks and the like, but also for the old dogs' opinions. I find it quite appropriate when a newbie asks about WiFi connections along the way, an oldtimer asks, "Why?" instead of providing a detailed list of where to hook in.

I, too, don't "get" the need/want to stay in constant contact. (Opinion alert!) Getting into the true spirit of the Camino to me is about getting as close, within reason, to the experience of millions of peregrinos that came and went before us.

Telluridewalker said:
I find it quite appropriate when a newbie asks about WiFi connections along the way, an oldtimer asks, "Why?" instead of providing a detailed list of where to hook in.

I, too, don't "get" the need/want to stay in constant contact. (Opinion alert!) Getting into the true spirit of the Camino to me is about getting as close, within reason, to the experience of millions of peregrinos that came and went before us.

Where as I understand everyone's need to get away from everything, I was actually slightly offended by "why". The whys are deeply personal. I'd like to do this camino from my perspective-- not millions of peregrinos. I doubt I'm breaking deeply embedded camino norms by bringing along the equipment that will make my life easier on the camino. If that makes me a nonconformist, so be it.
While I appreciate your opinions as part of your experience, I am looking for facts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ouch!

Joking aside, re gadgets ..... My Mother is now 84 and has suddenly aged since an operation last autumn. I now phone her regularly three times a week - and if I don't she becomes despondent and anxious, so i do understand the need to be in contact - though it is rather new for me and I am not certain how I shall sort it this summer.

As I have adult children and grand-children I always take a mobile with me when I travel but as I have written elsewhere, I switch it on just once every evening to check for texts, in case of problems at home, but I tend not to phone out unless absolutely necessary.

I am really quite stone-age (and happily so) when it comes to gadgets - but this skype? it means free calls on or through the internet? I shall look into it and learn.

All the best.
(just please don't tell me why having an ipod that can store three million songs is somehow important)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With all of the misunderstandings, sarcasm and humour (attempted or otherwise) aside, I just wanted to say thank you to Ivar for sharing the Fring info for the iPhone. I too am trying to decide the best solution for my Camino in September (to tech or not to tech). With the Fring app, I now have one more option which is, personally, one of the things I enjoy about this forum.

So thank you Ivar...See you in Santiago!

Bill

mrbillyto said:
With all of the misunderstandings, sarcasm and humour (attempted or otherwise) aside, I just wanted to say thank you to Ivar for sharing the Fring info for the iPhone. I too am trying to decide the best solution for my Camino in September (to tech or not to tech). With the Fring app, I now have one more option which is, personally, one of the things I enjoy about this forum.

So thank you Ivar...See you in Santiago!

Bill
No problem.... and just as we were talking about this Skype introduced their Skype App for iPhone and iPod touch today! More here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-10206786-51.html

See you in Santiago,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
dislp38 said:
Where are the best places to find Wifi along the Camino. I'm bringing an ipod touch and a net book so I can Skype.

Are you really interested in Skyping with others outside the Camino? Pilgrims you can meet are between the best you can enjoy in the Camino.

And your notebook will be a problem. Not exactly because it's weight, but, it can breaks, it can get wet, it can ... too many problems!! Songs, Skype? More interesting is to ask a coffee with milk in the morning, isn't it? Enjoy your Camino as much as possible!!

Buen Camino, with as less technology as possible

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Ladies and Gentlemen
I returned from a successful Camino.... with notebook intact. The ipod and ipod touch came in really handy. But Wifi was unfortunately confined to larger cities. And the Skype application for the ipod touch rocks.

Congratulations!! I love it when a plan comes together!
I've got a post on my blog called: Communicating and blogging on the camino.
When you have time, could you have a look at it and let me know if anything is out-of-date or whether there is new info to add to it? I'd really appreciate your up-to-date advice - especially on Skyping on the camino.
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2008/10/b ... amino.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Skype. A verb. A brand name into a verb in the blink of an eye. And those crazy-ass French try to preserve a language! No way. Awesome (good awesome, not bad awesome), rad, and rockin'. I'll shuffle off to my warm milk now.

Yep - same as 'hoover' the carpets, 'scuba' diving etc.
Now we 'Skype' each other!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My boyfriend has a ipod phone that can hook up to the internet. He is UK based and never uses the internet capability while abroad because he says it is way too over priced. So, you might want to contact your provider to check out what the charges are for using this service in Spain. There is internet in all of the large cities and some of the smaller towns have it too. In most places, you will find a phone. People did manage to survive before the internet. If you do decide to go high tech, don't forget to bring a plug adaptor for your charger.

hi all!

each one of us chooses his or her own communication needs. Far be it for any one of us to approve or disapprove. All reasons are valid reasons, and therein lies its sole justification. For my third Camino I am taking my DELL mini with me, for communication and other reasons.

Here is a thought for Ivar: why don't you add a Skype entry for the profiles? This would allow fellow Skypers to communicate...

Be Well & Be Blessed!

Greetings all
I am interested in the ipod/iphone along the route. Not that I want to always be in contact (definitely not) but my mum is 84 and in hospital at the moment, plus 2 friends have died suddenly and unexpectedly in the last 12months. Not that I could do anything if I was away but I would be able to (concurrently) emotionally/spiritually participate in the rituals if someone else died.

Plus I have realised that I dont listen to music anymore - my friend who died last week and I used to live together and we played all different kinds of music from opera to pink floyd to what ever was going at that time! I want to reconnect with that music and I think walking and occasionally (casue I couldnt do it all the time - I like and usually spend my time quietly) playing music would be great.

But as I say - I am still just thinking about it - I have owned an mpeg player and hardly ever used it.
so reading about others opinions and experiences is great for me!
thanks
Lynn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
More and more bars and restaurants offer free wifi for their customers in Spain. Some times, the wifi connection is open (no need to enter a password), and sometimes you would need to ask for the password. If you are a customer, they will give you this password.

Even so, I would not promise anyone at home that "I will send you an e-mail every day", since you never know when you will be able to get a connection. If you promise, and then don't send.. they will get worried.

If you get the iphone (not sure if the ipod touch can do this), download the Skype application before you leave home. I have used it to call home for free from abroad(if you call to a computer) or for next to nothing per minute if you call any landline in the world. You just need a bar with free wifi to connect.

Buen camino,
Ivar

Many rest stop in the camino may not be big enough to have cafe with wifi. A better bet will still have to be public library. Also, not all libraries (most do) have wifi.

I carried a wifi-enable phone for my camino via de la Plata. I've also brought along a USB adaptor for my phone's memory card. So if the library has wifi, emails and blogging (with image) is all done from the phone. If no wifi, then the picture for the day can be transfered from the phone to the computer via the USB adaptor, then uploaded to the blog.

For the 40 days of walking, only 4 days I have not be able to obtain any wifi connection. As for Skype, I've only managed to do it once. It was a Sunday outside the library in Galisteo where the wifi signal is still strong enough. Don't expect too many voip (skype) call opportunities. To get the right wifi signal to make the call, either you are inside the library (silence) or cafe (noisy).

Let's just say you can get probably get connected regularly (not every day) and for skype call (rarely). Just don't forget to make time for yourself and also interact with other pilgrims, which is what the camino is about anyway.

I actually had the same question since I would like to keep a blog while I am on the Camino--most of my friends (I live in Texas) have never even heard of this walk & I want to share a bit of it. Also, photography is important to me & if there is wifi, then it is possible that I can share some photos. I think everyone finds calm in their own way & writing/photography is one of them for me. So, I would still like to know where anyone has found reliable wifi if they have done so.
Thanks-
Dusty from Austin

Dusty,

You best bet for wifi is the public library, followed by the cafe. Libraries are usually closed in the afternoon during siesta hours by reopen in the evening. Plenty of time to arrive, shower, have a siesta and visit the library.

With wifi, I found the best way is to set up the blog so you can sent an email (e.g. Blogger).

1. The subject of the email becomes the blog post title.
2. The attached image (I think only 1 is supported) is resize and shown just after the title.
3. Your email text becomes the text in the blog post below the photo.

You can already start to draft your mail early or as and when you are inspired during the walk. Attached the photo of the day from the camera phone and you can sent it whenever you find a wifi connection. Some days there just aren't any connection available. But when there are you can just email the blog post (plus any backlog post). Just remember to put in the day or date of the post manually (e.g. 'Day 14 - Salamanca') and mail them in the right sequence since all backlog entries with be considered posted on the day of your email.

This will minimize your time on the wifi hotspot. Received new mails and sent reply together with the email for the blog post. So you can spend more time on the camino itself, which is what it is all about...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a blog set up--its just a question of whether I can upload photos without my computer (which i will not be bringing)--looking into capabilities of an ipad which my brother is using on his travels right now--waiting for his review. thanks again.

Hola

I've blogged several times as I walk and Evan has given the method by using local Wifi totally accurately. Another way is to use the internet connection on your phone or device if you have international roaming. Data transfer costs and the more data such as photos the higher the cost. I use a blackberry and simply write the blog as a draft without photos , connect my e mail account, press send and then disconnect the e mail account. The cost without photos is negligible. I then add the photos later when I am at a PC.

Good luck with it.

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I realized I started this thread 2 years ago... and now I'm checking again. It looks like I'll be doing my second Camino in October. And I'm still thinking about wifi along the Camino.

This year, I started a podcast about the Camino called ipilgrim podcast. It's my plan to record some episodes whiles actually walking the Camino and best case scenario, upload them as I go whenever and wherever possible.

So, two years later, I'm wondering if some of the rural areas have some wifi in the bars. Also, is there such a thing as a prepaid wireless usb/card I could have access to while in Spain? Or, people from the USA can tell me if there's a US plan/USB that would cover Spain/international travel that wouldn't cause me to go broke?

Deborah

hi all, yes, i am also looking for some up-to-date info on wifi along the frances route.
my walking buddy will be taking an ipad and wants to know if there will be many spots we can connect. Any recent experiences shared would be appreciated.
thanks juju

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@OP - There are a bunch of cafes that have WiFi as well as some of the hostels.

@Judgmental-Commenters - I took my PC and phone with me because unlike you Camino-purists I have responsibilities that need to be tended to.

Back to the OP, if this is your first Camino you will find that there are many, many, many pilgrims who wish to explain to you that you are doing the camino in the wrong way because you have a phone/PC/iPad/book.

I was told that I shouldn't be doing it because I'm not Catholic. Lol.

Screw 'em, do it your way!!

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you need internet access along the Way, my recomendation is to purchase a prepaid SIM card with some sort of flat rate internet plan.

I did the French Way from July 31th to August 10th from SJPP to Santiago, by bicycle. Our trip was documented on my website (http://www.rumoasantiago.com) on a daily basis, which was done using my smartphone. Besides that, our friends, family, or any other followers were able to tell where we were at any given moment, because I used an Android app to broadcast my gps location regularly to my website, which was pinpointing our past and current locations.

If you need some advice on the SIM card, I must say that the XS8 from Vodafone with the daily internet plan (for 0.5€ + VAT, 20MB/day which is capped to 256kbps if reached) was the best option I found. The SIM card cost 9EUR, plus a first charge of 5EUR. This was more than enough for the internet and some sporadic phone calls.

Apart from one or other large city, I was never able to access the Internet using WiFi hotspots, either public or "alternative". Don't rely on that if you really need internet access.

falcon269 said:
Here is one internet possibility for your smart phone:

http://movil.orange.es/tarifas-y-ahorro/tarjeta/delfin/

thanks Falcon269.. I'm looking into this if I can figure out how to order it.

recently the New York Times posted something in the Travel section that might be of interest for us Americans. "How to beat roaming fees while traveling abroad"
http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/tr ... imestravel

the day I read this article I checked out TEP out of London and they quoted me a price of rental wifi bubble (unlimited) for my camino in Spain as $189. Then, tonight, when I was ready to book the same thing... they quoted me a price of $255! Ugh. I can't believe the price went up in a week.

Then, compared to rental wifi from Cellularabroad... it's 219 for 30 MB rechargable card/bubble.

I'm wondering if Orange Espana has a prepaid wifi plan with a wifi card or bubble. My Spanish is really rusty (okay, it's nonexistent) so I'm having trouble deciphering if I can prepay for 30 days of wifi. Anyone have anymore advice? or help?

Well, another question is 'which camino'?

I've just finished the primitivo and there are very few internet facilities. I got onto the internet in Lugo (internet cafe) and Melide (hotel). However, there were a few places that did offer wifi in between. These were mostly in the towns and were in hotels or cafe/bars. There was wifi in the Hotel Cantrabica in Fonsagrada. There was also wifi in the Youth Hostel in Castro. I know some people who tried to get onto wifi in Tineo with their iphone, but couldn't get a strong enough signal to do anything useful. I think that the best course of action is to just see what you find when you arrive in a place. If you have an iphone, if you can't find wifi, at least you can phone home if you have urgent personal issues that need to be dealt with.

On the other hand of the specturm, at work I am more or less umbilically linked to my computer, the internet and email. I have had a hell of a stressfull year and it was amazingly restful to arrive in a village, see no internet facilities that I could access (not having an iphone) and just thinking: 'this is my vacation, I don't need to answer emails and better yet, I couldn't even access them if I wanted to'. Everyone at work knew I was 'on vacation' and I didn't even bother looking at my emails until I hit Santiago. I had a shit load of emails to deal with when I got back to work, but I returned to work feeling really mentally refreshed. Everyone at work said that I looked great (and laughed at my peregrina tan, including tide marks around my ankles). They all commented on the 'no internet access' issue. They all thought that this was a great thing and that a vacation should be a vacation.

This experience has empowered me to take 'email days off' (i.e. not checking my work emails on a Saturday or Sunday). Maybe I am showing my age here (a mere 45), but I remember a time when we didn't have personal computers, mobile phones, email or the internet. It is nice that the Camino has helped me return to those days when instant responses or instant information wasn't expected.

As Johnnie Walker says, everyone has their own camino.

Buen Camino!

€60,-
falcon269 said:
Here is one internet possibility for your smart phone:

http://movil.orange.es/tarifas-y-ahorro/tarjeta/delfin/

For this program I'm assuming you have to buy the phone from Orange in Spain. If so, do you have to sign a contract for a period of time or can you sign up for this for three months, for example?

I'm going to Spain this week for three months and returning in July or August to do the Camino Frances.

I think you can use the SIM chip in any unlocked GSM phone.

...and in Spain, if they talk about "tarjeta" it means no contract...pay as you go.. if they talk about "Contrato" it means signing a contract (you don't want this).

The link above was for a Tarjeta...

Buen Camino!
Ivar

In Fonsagrada there is a free wifi in the communal library. At least 6 machines.
It takes a five minute walk from the center.
And, right you are: As Johnnie Walker says, everyone has their own camino.

My HTC will definitely be accompanying me on the Camino. It hosts an excellent GPS mapping program called Alpine Quest, for which I have created a contour map of the entire Camino Frances with GPS tracks which run independently of an internet connection. Additionally, I can access weather forecasts and view aerial photography of the way in the Google Earth program when the opportunity arises and find a wi-fi connection, or pay the expensive roaming fees. The device serves also as a superb digital camera and can play some soothing tunes to soothe my soul when I feel the need to reflect upon the bigger picture of life. This thing can even make a telephone call in times of distress and support a rescue team with WhatsApp, not to mention this wonderful forum app and also the Albergue Review app. To call it a smart phone is misleading; using it to telephone or for SMSs or even Facebook are the least of its functionalities. At 130 grams, not including spare battery, there's no reason I could think of not take it with me.

Our son has just cycled (alone) the Pilgrim routes from Switzerland, through France and into Spain, and hopefully arriving in Santiago any day now. However we were very stressed when he suddenly went completely off radar in France for 2 weeks - no Facebook, Emails, Twitter etc.

Had he warned us of Wifi problems to be expected (if he knew !!) we would have been able to accept the silence a little easier. Please, please make sure before you set off that family and friends really understand the difficulties you may have with IT contact. My stress levels are almost back to normal, thankfully.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: Tell friends / family Wifi is not always available along the

With an Orange data SIM and WiFi, I have not been out of contact during two weeks on the Le Puy route. Internet computers are disappearing, though.

I agree with Falcon. I had wi-fi every day except maybe two on my last walk. Sometimes a pilgrim just enjoys being offline a day or two. Sometimes you're just exhausted and the Internet is the last thing on your mind.

I think Wifi availability depends on where you end up spending the night. Many small villages don't have Wifi access and, increasingly, small villages are getting Wifi supplied by the council, but it is for residents only.
It is worth being aware that instant access is not guaranteed and some routes are worse than others.

I just had a SIM on a simple phone for voice but not data. I had my iPod Touch with me but relied on free wifi to access internet with it. I found regular free wifi on the Camino Frances, but very seldom on the Cluny or Le Puy routes. I'd walked nearly two weeks on the Cluny route before I finally found some in a bar one morning. I used to compose things offline and would then hear them all whooshing out of my outbox when I hit wifi. I did tell my family not to worry if they don't hear from me, but I know it was hard for them to understand how off-grid I was.
Margaret

Br. David,
I thought that was hillarious. Being a proficient user of sarcasm. I didn't take any bit of technology when I walked the Camino in 2012. But this time I'm taking my phone with me. I walked 3 weeks on the Camino Francis with no contact with home. But at a certain point I had to contact mommy!!! Ya' know, that one person who encourages you. I was in the midst of dispair. Not thinking I could make it. But mom gave me the words I needed. " get off yer ass Aryk". I took along a blank writing book, but only wrote two pages. I think daily or semi-daily posts to Facebook would be a wonderful diary that I will have and friends and family can follow. And yea there was a few times I was completely alone and thought "damn I wish I had my iPod". So I'm taking along my iPhone.

It's a simple fact that we live in a connected world, so why deny yourself the connectivity? Wouldn't you want to use your device like you would at home?
I completed the Camino Frances (SJPDP to Finisterre) 2 weeks ago, bar owners/hospitaleros were constantly asked for wifi passwords at each stop, me, I went to the trouble of getting an unlocked iPhone 5 and buying a prepaid SIM card with 1GB of data for 15 euros for the month.
Honestly, it was nice not to have to pester the bar owner for a password and for the most part had data access across most of the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took my iPad with me while on the Camino Frances in order to blog while I walked. I also wanted to use Skype when available. As noted in many earlier posts, wifi is often not available, especially in the smaller villages which you will be walking through. Sometimes the albergues will have pay-as-you-go internet (keyboards are set up differently which makes for some very interesting typos when sending messages). I walked solo, so being able to Skype with family even occassionally made those conversations especially meaningful for me. I didn't use it to read (no time) and I took a journal to put pen to paper in order to write quick thoughts and notes about my trip. I also used the voice recorder on my cell phone for memos while I was walking, LOL!! And I took lots of photos.
Ditching technology? Well, I didn't use my watch too much. All it really did was give me a weird tan on my left wrist. ;)
Kathy
Here's my Camino blog. I hope you'll take a look and will enjoy it.
http://kathyfootenotes.wordpress.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The answer is....why NOT...100 years ago if they would have had some of our modern stufffff don't you think they would have used it?

I think there is a fine balance between communication in 1913 and communication in 2013. Back then, people might have wished for a more easy acces to quick communication; right now for some people it will be good to take a step back and enjoy the liberty of being unconnected (or: less connected). I'm going to try the last option. I'm leaving my iPhone behind and take a simple phone that can text and call. I'm turning it on once a day to see if something important at home happened.

Whatever phone you choose to carry the emergency telephone number for all of Europe is 112. Add it to your phone now! Calling it may help save a fellow pilgrim's life.When you call 112 a multi lingual operator will answer and transfer your emergency call to the correct authorities for on site help.

Be sure to read this most important earlier thread by Forum member Navarricano on using Emergency phone numbers on the Camino >> frequently-asked-questions/topic17361.html

Stay safe and aware,

Margaret Meredith

I'm leaving my iPhone behind and take a simple phone that can text and call. I'm turning it on once a day to see if something important at home happened.
You can turn on an iPhone just once a day, too, and it has WiFi if you need it, say to check a bus schedule or check in for your return home.;)

I am also a "techie" so I understand you. If you have the newest ipod touch (with microphone) you cold use the "fring" app to use skype on the ipod. I use it on the iPhone. This way you do not need to bring the netbook.

Hi Ivar,
Is Fring an alternative to Skype? I'm not clear why you would want both.

Also I heard yesterday that facetime (which would only work between two apple devices) is less weighty on the servers than Skype though I am not sure that is true.

Warmly,
buena!

Noorvanderveen wrote:

I'm leaving my iPhone behind and take a simple phone that can text and call. I'm turning it on once a day to see if something important at home happened.

Obviously the choice is yours but as falcon269 says you can turn the iPhone or any smartphone on or off as often or as little as you like. You can in addition also dumb down the iPhone or any smartphone by turning off the wifi, switch off or unload all the Apps and you end up with a dumb simple phone for texting or calling! You however cannot smart-up a simple phone to do wifi stuff, or more importantly for me at least, it does not take excellent photos and HD videos and for this I keep the smartphone on mainly because of its picture taking capabilities. The pictures are real digital pictures and not holiday snaps.

After seeing the gadgets carried on the Camino now by nearly everybody I wonder if this thread on Ivar's forum against carrying a normal (read smartphone) will exist in five years time.

Last edited:
buena wrote:
Is Fring an alternative to Skype? I'm not clear why you would want both.

Also I heard yesterday that facetime (which would only work between two apple devices) is less weighty on the servers than Skype though I am not sure that is true.
I use three video Apps as I also use Tango in addition to fring and Skype. I use Viber and Whatsapps for non video call communication. Why? Certain connections favor certain apps at certain times and as there is so much memory on these new gadgets there is no capacity limitations with loading these and more apps into the modern smartphone. So why not? You are right, facetime only works between Apple products due to the tight hold on keeping things for itself. In this day and age servers are rarely over-weighty or overloaded, gone are the wired modem days when we made a cup of tea waiting for a website to load. Spain is a very highly developed connected country and the difference of weighty communication users on the huge servers is negligible.

Thanks so much for all this information. While my friend and I are planning our camino for September 2014, I too was wondering about WIFI. The choice is mine to 'connect' or 'disconnect' and everyone has their reasons. No worries. My reasons will be to check on an elderly parent, and family at home. "Check on" are the optimum words. Plan on doing just that. Lots of great information. Thanks again.

I have an iPod touch and I don't carry it to "stay connected". I am retired and have done a Camino every year since 2010 and the only things my kids ask of me is to email them each night just to let them know I am safe. It also comes in handy to make airline and train reservations.

€60,-
I am finding a heavy feeling of obligation to communicate with some people at home.

For myself, I would prefer to just say, "See ya in 2 months.." My sense is that I am not going to be one to write or blog for general consumption. I don't particularly want to share all the stuff of my Camino with those at home. It feels personal. I think conversations with other pilgrims are maybe different. We'll see.

But, sometimes it isn't about me. Others really will worry, so I will send some texts and emails, mostly updating location I guess. At one point I thought I would just take a Spot, and for auto check ins. But I will have a phone for pictures, reservations etc anyway. ( as if I speak enough Spanish to reserve anything... )

Such a far cry from the travel experiences in my 20's. You flew off, wrote when you could and no one heard much at all for at least a couple of weeks. No one expected anything. Communication has become a burden sometimes.

Oh my. I sound like I am just the life of the party, don't I? Definitely more of a solitude seeker. I need to balance that with love and consideration of where others are at.

Anyone get this?

We take a phone and can text occasionally. If we pass an internet cafe we sometines buy time and e-mail home. The family subscribe to the 'no news is good news' concept in broad terms and we don't feel pressure to communicate. This also means that if communications fail because of lack of signal etc then they are not worrying that we had promised to keep in touch daily/regularly. Everyone's circumstances are different, but we'get it' quietwun. Doing what is right for you and your family will be important, but prepare them for technical blackspots if you do plan to make regular contact. We find our (adult) children are fairly laid back about the Aged Ps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where as I understand everyone's need to get away from everything, I was actually slightly offended by "why". The whys are deeply personal. I'd like to do this camino from my perspective-- not millions of peregrinos. I doubt I'm breaking deeply embedded camino norms by bringing along the equipment that will make my life easier on the camino. If that makes me a nonconformist, so be it.
While I appreciate your opinions as part of your experience, I am looking for facts.
Your best bet would to just buy a SIM card for spain for a month!

I am finding a heavy feeling of obligation to communicate with some people at home.

For myself, I would prefer to just say, "See ya in 2 months." But, sometimes it isn't about me. Others really will worry, so I will send some texts and emails, mostly updating location I guess.

Oh my. I sound like I am just the life of the party, don't I? Definitely more of a solitude seeker. I need to balance that with love and consideration of where others are at.

Anyone get this?

The Camino is well connected to the internet now and it's super simple to update Facebook with your location. You might be surprised at how many people will plug your current location into Google Earth to kept track of your progress. But I agree, much of what happens is personal and does not necessarily need to be shared beyond a few close friends upon your return.

I took my iphone on my 120 mile section last year. For the sake of a few ounces I had my camera, 4 novels, a torch, and emergency contact (which I needed once !!) I used it sparingly for phone/data access but saved a huge amount if weight on other items.
I loved walking alone but the once I met a very suspect stranger alone in an isolated stretch, my phone to my ear and my walking pole brandished threateningly made him then the other way ( very very isolated incident btw)
I love reading - it's my thing - carrying books would have been crazy.
Please don't make assumptions about people because they want to do things differently from you. The Camino is about understanding and acceptance and community not about judgment.
My iphone will be doing the whole 500 miles this year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino is well connected to the internet now and it's super simple to update Facebook with your location. You might be surprised at how many people will plug your current location into Google Earth to kept track of your progress.
For those who do not tell the paperboy about going out of town, Facebook will be an excellent way to invite burglars to your home!!!;)

I took my iphone on my 120 mile section last year. For the sake of a few ounces I had my camera, 4 novels, a torch, and emergency contact (which I needed once !!) I used it sparingly for phone/data access but saved a huge amount if weight on other items.
I do too, for the same reasons. but other than that, you will find me in a bar like this ;) :

1461006_580508272020492_1395500578_n.jpg

I think you can use the SIM chip in any unlocked GSM phone.

I know this is an old post, Falcon, but if you have an AT&T phone, make SURE it is unlocked before you go. I asked the salesman when I bought my phone and he said "All AT&T phones are unlocked". Found out after I got to Spain that my phone was NOT unlocked. What a pain that was, many phone calls to get it resolved :(

I asked the salesman when I bought my phone and he said "All AT&T phones are unlocked".
A cellular phone representative lied to you? Rick, I am shocked that lying is going on in here (sorry, Bogart).

Did I read that correctly- Johnny Walker had his humerus bone removed? That will make for an interesting next Camino. :?

I think new peregrinos come to this site not just for the cold hard facts about backpacks and the like, but also for the old dogs' opinions. I find it quite appropriate when a newbie asks about WiFi connections along the way, an oldtimer asks, "Why?" instead of providing a detailed list of where to hook in.

I'm a "newby" planning to walk this Sept/Oct. One of the many reasons I am walking the Camino is to shed my addiction to the 'connection' obsession. This is a great forum for someone like me to learn what I'll need to know on the journey.

I know this is an old post, Falcon, but if you have an AT&T phone, make SURE it is unlocked before you go. I asked the salesman when I bought my phone and he said "All AT&T phones are unlocked". Found out after I got to Spain that my phone was NOT unlocked. What a pain that was, many phone calls to get it resolved :(

As a GENERAL statement, and unless otherwise clearly stated in an advert, ALL cellular phones and smart phones sold in the US ARE LOCKED TO THE CARRIER that sold the phone. Thus, you are compelled (extorted) into buying an overly expensive voice and or data plan from that carrier if you want their phone.

Some manufacturers, e.g. Apple have started quietly selling phones unlocked from the factory, without compelling you to obtain service from any carrier. You normally have to ask for these phones.

However, bear in mind that, since the carrier is not subsidizing the cost of the handset via their highly inflated costs for voice and data plans, these "unlocked from birth" handsets are 6o - 80 percent more costly than the subsidized, locked handsets available from the various cellular carriers in the US.

This locking process, and compelling people to buy service to obtain the handset is illegal in most other parts of the world. Also, mobile / cellular service is MUCH less expensive around the world than it is in the US.

If you have a US-sourced handset and it is currently locked, check with your carrier to obtain the unlocking code. Usually, if you have had service for 60-90 days, they will provide the code free of charge. You enter a code sequence on the handset, then the code they provide. When you are done, the phone SHOULD accept any correctly sized SIM card.

I use a quad-band t-Mobile non-smart phone for voice and data on a pay-as-you -go basis, and an iPod Touch v5 for everything else over Wi-Fi. That keeps my overall telecom costs reasonable in the US when I am home. When I travel anywhere in the world outside the US and Canada, I change out the SIM card to my old Belgian pay-as-you-go SIM card as soon as I get on the airplane, before I turn the phone off. I used to live there (Belgium) so I kept the SIM active and top off via the internet.

Seriously, it costs 5 Euro cents to send a text message and no more than 10 Euro cents per minute to call the US from Europe. Going the other way, they charge me 25 US cents per text and at least 1.76 per minute. It is ridiculous. But it is what it is.

In fact, most people do not know that it literally costs the carrier ZERO to provide text service. The very small text message packets flow BETWEEN the voice and larger data traffic. So, if you can picture the flow of voice and data messaging like a handful of dry spaghetti, the text messages conveniently fit in the spaces between and around the round strands of spaghetti. So, any amount they obtain from the end user is pure profit. Like I said, it IS ridiculous.

I hope this helps.

Fascinating reading through this thread from the OP's first posting from over 6 years ago!

How things techie change but how some peoples attitudes don't!

WiFi, internet, email etc are all now ubiquitous and universal but that doesn't mean everybody has to use them.

Travel barefoot, in sackcloth with the world on your back and penitence and prayer in your mind.
Travel as a gourmand, with all the techie gadgets, your pack carried by carters and the next en-suite hotel room already booked.

Surely it's down to each and every pilgrim.
But if you can look at yourself in the mirror at journey's end and feel happy then what does it matter about how you travelled?

Another good question is, what (or why) does it matter to anyone else how you travelled...as long as you are happy with it, just like you said, bystander.

Your right, this is very funny. I just read, six years ago, somebody knew somebody who had an ipod phone that could hook up to the internet hahhaha. So funny :)

Last edited:
hi all, yes, i am also looking for some up-to-date info on wifi along the frances route.
my walking buddy will be taking an ipad and wants to know if there will be many spots we can connect. Any recent experiences shared would be appreciated.
thanks juju

I have walked the camino and other routes a few times and found the best thing to do is to buy an unlocked mifi router(ebay 40 -50 euro) buy an orange sim card and load it with 10 euros worth of credit. This will give you enough data for a couple of weeks, works with wattsapp, skype etc and the orange network offers good coverage along the camino. Since 2015 I live on the camino in a small village just before Arzua and this is my of keeping in touch with friends and family. ou can always sell the mifi router tothe next pilgrim !

what kind of bandwidth does the mifi router have? would it be just as inexpensive to use an unlocked iphone and get a sim card? when you are using skype are you only using it for text messaging, audio, screen sharing or video? Thanks!

€60,-
what kind of bandwidth does the mifi router have? would it be just as inexpensive to use an unlocked iphone and get a sim card? when you are using skype are you only using it for text messaging, audio, screen sharing or video? Thanks!
Hello Kirk - not sure about the bandwith but I use Skype / Wattsapp Video calling, and both work fine, I also download large drawing files with no problems.
I have the mifi as it is so flexible and allows multiple visitors to connect to the internet at the house also working from home a laptop for me is a better option than using a phone but your idea would also work. Regards Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.