Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wifi and cell service on Primitivo? Sept 22

Sunbun

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2017, Primitivo 2022
Hi- Could recent Primitivo hikers comment on how strong/reliable wifi service is anywhere on the Primitivo? Is there somewhere you had particularly good service? Are there areas that are just completely without service? (Please, no comments about 'be a real Pilgrim and go without'; having a connection to work a couple of evenings is the only way we can get away). Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi- Could recent Primitivo hikers comment on how strong/reliable wifi service is anywhere on the Primitivo? Is there somewhere you had particularly good service? Are there areas that are just completely without service? (Please, no comments about 'be a real Pilgrim and go without'; having a connection to work a couple of evenings is the only way we can get away). Thank you.
As this year will be my first Primitivo (also September, so maybe we will meet ;-) ), I have no idea about the WiFi / LTE coverage, but I am certainly curious what others will answer :cool:
Although I do not really plan to work, I want to be reachable for the company in case of emergency when quick decisions are needed.

They had wifi in every albergue I stayed in apart from Escamplero (the nearby Restaurante El Tendejón has wifi though, and you have to register there for the albergue) and Villapañada. I use Vodafone and the signal was mostly good, except when it wasn't and it disappeared completely. I found it surprising that this was most apparent on the stage between Lugo and As Seixas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We finished the Primitivo this year and never had any issues with obtaining wifi in pensions or hotels. We try to avoid albergues. I also use T mobile and pay for international coverage which worked out really good while hiking, always had a connection, $50 for 30 days.

I walked the Primitivo last September and I was absolutely amazed at the reliable service all along the route. The only place that I had a problem was at a small hotel I stayed in Berducedo, no service in my room. No big deal. In fairness I did use an Orange SIM card that I got in the airport in Madrid.

In fairness I did use an Orange SIM card that I got in the airport in Madrid.
I use Vodafone as it works best for me. I walked the Via de la Plata which can make almost make the Primitivo seem like midtown Manhattan haha some days. I never had a problem with data or with making a call to see if an albergue was open or not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Had Vodaphone, don't remember any issues with no connection. I really only access my data in the afternoon/ evening when I arrive at lodging.

Never had any problems with either on the Primitivo and in fact have rarely had any problems on any of my caminos. Frankly, the service throughout Spain is far far better than in many parts of UK. I could get a good 4g service at the top of a remote mountain in the middle of the Olvidao and no signal at all in a coastal resort in Cornwall!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back