• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wifi and pilgrim meals on Camino Portuguese

Pilsprog

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I walked the Camino Frances in May-June 2015. I'm planning to walk Porto to Santiago starting mid-June 2018. Is it as easy to find wi-fi on the Camino Portuguese as it is on Camino Frances? Also, are there places that offer pilgrim meals the way they do on Camino Frances? What would be a realistic daily budget for the Portuguese route? any advice gratefully accepted.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Portuguese way is much cheaper, I'd say 5-8 euros for municipal albergues, 8-15 for private, plenty of accommodation options. Food is great, pilgrim menues 5-10 euro, can share a meal for 2 people in Portugal as portions are beyond huge :) I walked in late Apr - May, there were many people on the route but no rush to get a place to sleep, very relaxed feel. Wifi: in Portugal is available easily, when crossing into Spain slighly more challenging in the albergues as some need verification through the local phone number. Easy to walk but some cobblestones.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry to butt in on your question but would just like to know if the cobblestones are a huge problem on feet as everybody seem to comment on them and is their any best way to combat them?

walked between Lisbon to Santiago, cobblestones are frequent but not that bad. Didn't have time to prepare for the walk, so I took the ultra light, oldest cheapest no name walking shoes, could feel each and every stone underneath my feet. Cobblestones were not the problem for me, but the painful swelling of the ankle on one foot was. Others who walked alongside me were happy with their walking boots or runners. I think the route is relatively easy, doesn't require proper hiking boots, at least in late spring/summer/autumn.

Thank you seriously consider walking this route this year - can't wait :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
During weekdays find a restaurant that serves a menu do dia instead of a pilgrimsmenu.
At times of the Spanish generalissimo Franco there was a law that every worker could buy a three course menu and a drink for a low price, at that time in Spanish peseta currency. Untill today in Spain you can buy a 3 course menu for about 10€. Portugal adopted the system and there you obtain the menu for round about 5 till 8€. To be said you do not find this menu during the weekends.
Anyhow it it cheaper and better than a pilgrims menu.

Wifi you will find everywhere. Restaurants,bars,libraries, municipal centers etc.

Last edited:
We walked the Portugués last year in late March. We had no problem hooking into wifi wherever we were from albergues to cafes along The Way. Perhaps it was because we were ahead of the crowd walking that early, but we didn’t find albergues offering pilgrim meals as I found on the Francés. However, there were plenty of restaurants offering a multi-course pilgrim’s meal. But with all the great seafood available, it was hard not to seek out restaurants offering pulpo or bacalhau.

Regarding the cobblestones, although I had no difficulty with them, my wife developed knee problems after five days on this uneven surface. When we reached Tui, we used a luggage transport service (Tuitrans) to ship her backpack ahead for a couple of days so as to make walking easier. Although we travel light with little more than a 6 kg pack, the stones still caused some problems. Bom Caminho!

We walked the Portugués last year in late March. We had no problem hooking into wifi wherever we were from albergues to cafes along The Way. Perhaps it was because we were ahead of the crowd walking that early, but we didn’t find albergues offering pilgrim meals as I found on the Francés. However, there were plenty of restaurants offering a multi-course pilgrim’s meal. But with all the great seafood available, it was hard not to seek out restaurants offering pulpo or bacalhau.

Regarding the cobblestones, although I had no difficulty with them, my wife developed knee problems after five days on this uneven surface. When we reached Tui, we used a luggage transport service (Tuitrans) to ship her backpack ahead for a couple of days so as to make walking easier. Although we travel light with little more than a 6 kg pack, the stones still caused some problems. Bom Caminho!
The only albergues that supply pilgrim meals are Hilário in Mealhada on the Lisbon to Porto leg and Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima on the leg from Porto to Santiago

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had forgotten about Fernanda’s. What a wonderful overnight and hospitality second to none! Fernanda fed us from the moment we arrived until we left the next morning. I had read so many good things about staying there and it was my favorite stop on the CP. She offers one dorm room with 8-10 beds and has one private room. She doesn't use the computer much, but if you want to stay there, I’d suggest you give her a call as I did to reserve beds. Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back