• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WiFi on the Camino Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovelife

Hello everyone,

I'm curious to know if the alburgues on the Camino Frances offer free WiFi. If they do can someone list which ones exactly?

I wasn't planning to bring my cell phone but after thinking about more if the alburgues have free WiFi then it would be an easy way to keep my family up to date so they know I'm safe.

Thanks for any answers anyone can share.
Antonio

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi
They all pretty much do have wifi (weefee). Just ask at the reception what the password is and log on. Usually only available in the reception area. It is easy to stay in touch with home this way.

interesting. I was assuming that hardly any would have wifi. That is great news. I want my technology to have a backseat on my first camino and plan to use it solely to send a few emails now and then to my loved ones letting them know how things are and that I am okay.

Looking forward to it.
Antonio.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
… and if your albergue does NOT have wifi, many of the bars do.
You can also often find it outside hotels and sometimes the village has a "wifi" spot.
The Camino is wired! :p

You can find Wifi in the strangest places. There is a tiny, tiny little store in Villamayor de Monjardín, that barely has enough space for 2 people to shop in at the same time. It had wifi. I blogged most of my camino. It was fairly unusual to stop for the day and not have a place to connect to the internet. Not unheard of, but unusual.

A lot of the albergues pre Galicia had WiFi when I walked this winter, as did the bars etc. Often the pass word would be posted on the notice board, or even in one case, printed on a little slip of paper for you to help yourself to from a basket on the front desk. Quite often the bars would have the pass word on a card in a prominent position on a wall etc. However, like a lot of things, it all changes when you get to Galicia! In winter the only albergues open were the xunta ones and none of them had WiFi. I only used wifi to do my blog posts. Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was hard to find a bar that didn't have wifi (or "we-fee"). If the password was complicated, I found most bartenders happy to punch it into your phone for you. Some connections were slow (making uploads of pictures to Facebook tedious) but certainly fast enough to check emails or add a status update on Facebook. I was really surprised at how many people back home enjoyed following my progress on Facebook. Their comments really gave me energy when it rained 13 days straight.

Time for a word of heresy-cellphones and WeeFee are indeed an electronic and technological revolution - however - we pay a price. Once the Camino was filled with people talking singing and whistling all day long. Today, far too many have their heads tucked down with fingers flying as they trip and stumble along their way. Once, a new face in any cafe/bar or albergue was an instant center of attention and communication - today - hardly anyone picks their head up from the flashing lights. The MP3 players were a godsend for those who choose a holiday from their own thoughts and meditations - needed at times but rapidly became an overwhelming occupation and again distanced from from other pilgrims. Take your phone, it is good for finding a slow/fast walking new friend or to call home but please in moderation <--- so do look up there, true my beard and my hair are past grey and my phone mostly remains in a drawer even when I am at home - Not just a generation thing – I prefer a real conversation.

It is my experience that the person who walks by without saying much would do that with or without a phone. I have to say though that I do not recall seeing one person texting on the Camino and I don't recall many albergues that did not offer some form of internet service. I do wholeheartedly agree that social media technology is creating "human clouds"-- people who walk around in a bubble isolated from their present reality by escaping to a wired one. Many on the younger generation don't even know how to properly introduced themselves-- they think sending a "Friend Request" is how is done ;).

I don't mean to turn this thread into a pros & cons for social media technology, but do get the point scruffy1 makes. I echo his sentiment: MODERATION.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't find that the use of technology limited contact with others as much as one might think. The comment about those people being less social without their phones is probably valid.

The most memorable one was following the bubble-headed-bleach-blond with the tiny leather monogrammed day pack, impeccably matched clean clothes, and luminescent designer running shoes.....she texted for 10 or 15 minutes straight while walking with her friend. It would have been fascinating to see the texts!!

(With apologies to the Eagles for use of their lyrics)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wasn't planning to bring my cell phone but after thinking about more if the alburgues have free WiFi then it would be an easy way to keep my family up to date so they know I'm safe.

I took mine along for the same reason, mostly at my mother's request. Didn't have any problems with wifi. Unfortunately, using my phone for blogging meant just that, I had my phone with me. Actually got a call from one of my vendors asking me a question. I said, "I am half way across the world in Spain, sorry, you will have to call the office" :eek:

This discussion reminds me of what happened to me at albergue at Terradadillos de Templanrios. I was on the internet in the albergue's café when a Dutch woman approached me. The conversation went something like this:

Dutch woman, "I see you on the internet every night for at least two hours. Why are you ruining your Camino experience? You should stay off the internet. Have a real Camino experience."

Me, "Just out of curiosity, what kind of job or profession do you do?"

Dutch women, "I am a school teacher."

Me, "Were your children taught today or did they stay home because you are on the Camino for five weeks?"

Dutch woman, "They were in school today of course because there is a substitute teacher."

Me, "Well, I am self-employed. I own a small business. I have no employees. There is no one to fill in for me. I wish I had someone to fill in for me, but I don't. So, I have three choices: (1) never walk the Camino and keep my business going; (2) walk the Camino, stay off the internet, and bankrupt my business; or (3) walk the Camino, get on the internet every night for a couple of hours, and keep my business going."

Dutch woman, literally with a tear in her eye, "I am sorry I judged you. I thought you were a typical American who had no ability to stay off the internet. I have been judging you for days without understanding your circumstances. Please accept my apology."

That being said, I never talked on the phone while walking. I never texted on the path. My phone remained in my pack. I took it out and uploaded photographs to Facebook at cafes because there were people who really cared about my progress. I still get friends telling me that they "enjoyed walking with me." But yes, cell phone usage on the trail is and can be distracting.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spain will have lovely shops to buy new clothes .......travel light and discard and
Spain wil have water, fresh, cold and often,
and yes WIFI also.

The connectivity in this relatively remote area and that it is provided free-of-charge and mostly with a smile is absolutely amazing; it puts the greedy luxury resorts in Spain and elsewhere to shame!
As to the question, wether Smartphones and tablets distract from a true pilgrimage: These have become parts of our life and a blessing if used diligently. My iPhone replaced maps, dictionary, flashlight, camera and video-corder, compass, altimeter, printed tickets, tourist guides, notebook, pencil and wristwatch, it was my weather station, indicated my position, walking distance, provided me with music, news, lists of albergues, hostals and restaurants; and last, not least: it let me write and send a daily blog to an interested audience back home. By using a Spanish SIM card and by turning-off all email accounts except one with a "Camino-address", I limited accessibility to a very selected few. Messaging was very useful to keep in touch with fellow peregrinos and finally, my smartphone gave me peace of mind in the event of an emergency situation that thankfully never occurred.
In spite of all this, my tool merely replaced many others and never was a distraction; on the contrary, it actually helped me to focus on my Camino. Think of it as a practical, modern "Swiss Army knife", I enjoy and use it even though my teenage years lie close to 60 years behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be taking my smartphone, as it is my most useful tool.

Also, I wonder why camaraderie is apparently a requirement of an authentic Camino, if it is "my" Camino? Enforced "group happy" makes me twitch.

I want my phone to be a distancing device.
Since my early teens I have held jobs and later careers where it has been my task to interact and give give give give give to others, based on THEIR needs, convenience, and whims. This has greatly interfered with my ability to nurture myself, make decisions that are good for me, and has seriously hampered my ability to listen to myself and set appropriate time/energy boundaries.

For me to be able to carve silence and space to think I will absolutely have my earbuds in and my sunglasses on. I need some space and solitude and I think ye olde trusty technology is going to help achieve what my heart and soul need.

I attract people and I need my space from them to clarifying my own thoughts. My DH has often wondered why I can't go to a loo in a restaurant without coming out with a new friend, having bonded over the soap dispenser. Every single day people stop me to ask for directions--and I'm an immigrant with limited language skills. My dear and beloved former colleagues teased me unmercifully because of the neon flashing on my forehead begging the needy and--ideally--emotionally unbalanced to come to me.
I will interact and chat on the Camino. I am not unrealistic. And I am indeed gregarious and love people.
But I am deliberately walking this pilgrimage to reflect, to be silent, to introspect, to pray.
My phone will be my fortress against the incessant chatter that is already in my life. I WANT the isolation from others it will bring.

Well i suggest you stop at Sarria Packinglight if you don't like chatter.
Start in Seville and reflect in the solitude.

Oh, I don't care if it is around me as long as it doesn't try to force itself on me

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why is it the Alburgues can provide free WiFi when so little is asked for a bed for the night, yet most places I have stayed in Australia (and paid premium room costs) charge by the hour?

Why is it the Alburgues can provide free WiFi when so little is asked for a bed for the night, yet most places I have stayed in Australia (and paid premium room costs) charge by the hour?

Its like this in the US too - and the nicer the lodging, the more likely they will charge you a lot for use of the wifi. Ridiculous. But then high end hotels will also charge you $5 for the bottle of water that is in your room too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
RobertS26: I had a similar experience, as I would write to my wife and children for 15 or so minutes each evening and was often judged and even berated on one occasion.

It actually upset me that I had to justify and explain my private and personal situation. You see, I had no intention to walk the Camino, but my wife’s father walked it some 40-years ago or so and it was a dream of hers. Sadly, she was diagnosed with MS in 2005 and is unable to walk to this degree. Last year I made the decision to walk as her proxy and carry two shells on my pack in symbolism. More importantly, I wrote to her each evening after my walk and described my day’s journey in full, so she can enjoy the journey vicariously through my words. Other than those moments, my phone is nicely tucked away and simply enjoying the ride. Having said all this, I have since become a fan of the Camino and promote it to anyone willing to listen. In fact I fly on the 14th of April and begin my walk on the 18th. Can’t wait!

Packinglight: I understand this in great depth! Internal and external peace, are essential for me. I’m always willing to stop and say hello and chat, but I seek quiet peace at every opportunity. So please don’t confuse my quiet recluse moments as a poor lost soul, or that I’m rude. I’m just enjoying my inner peace and reflecting on how brilliant life is. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
By using a Spanish SIM card and by turning-off all email accounts except one with a "Camino-address", I limited accessibility to a very selected few. Messaging was very useful to keep in touch with fellow peregrinos and finally, my smartphone gave me peace of mind in the event of an emergency situation that thankfully never occurred.

Pano: Brilliant idea. This has been my dilemma. How do i not be reminded of my world when i bring it with me in my pocket? The last thing i want is to open my email and have reminders of exactly what i am trying to escape. Thank you for input. I will be doing the same.

I understand some folks are a bit defensive about people bringing technology on a camino. I get it. Im totally feeling you. I dont plan to be on my phone during the day. I literally want to send an email before bed (5 min tops) and then call it a night. Yes, people have gone a bit too far with burying their heads in a screen instead of talking to one another. But it is a tool that has greatly expanded our connection with one another. I think its helpful to remind oneself that it is a relatively new technology that literally gives people access to have the entire world at the command of their fingertips. We are still figuring out where this technology will bring us. I am hopeful and optimistic that it is to an existence of more human connectivity. It may be hard to see that but like i said, i choose to be optimistic.

I have been steering clear of smart phones for the past two years but going on the camino is actually what is forcing me to finally consider getting one! Many in my family think I'm a bit crazy to quit a job to go on the camino, so by documenting my experience, I'm hoping that others' eyes will be opened a bit more to the world

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
RobertS26: I had a similar experience, as I would write to my wife and children for 15 or so minutes each evening and was often judged and even berated on one occasion.

It actually upset me that I had to justify and explain my private and personal situation. You see, I had no intention to walk the Camino, but my wife’s father walked it some 40-years ago or so and it was a dream of hers. Sadly, she was diagnosed with MS in 2005 and is unable to walk to this degree. Last year I made the decision to walk as her proxy and carry two shells on my pack in symbolism. More importantly, I write to her each evening after my walk and describe my day’s journey in full, so she can enjoy the journey vicariously through my words. Other than those moments, my phone is nicely tucked away and simply enjoying the ride. Having said all this, I have since become a fan of the Camino and promote it to anyone willing to listen. In fact I fly on the 14th of April and begin my walk on the 18th. Can’t wait!

Packinglight: I understand this in great depth! Internal and external peace, are essential for me. I’m always willing to stop and say hello and chat, but I seek quiet peace at every opportunity. So please don’t confuse my quiet recluse moments as a poor lost soul, or that I’m rude. I’m just enjoying my inner peace and reflecting on how brilliant life is. :D

Hello! I and a friend will be flying in on the 14th and begin the 17th. I've seen many people who are beginning around the 24th, so I'm happy to see someone starting around the same time as me. Perhaps we will run into each other! Buen Camino!

I had a similar experience, as I would write to my wife and children for 15 or so minutes each evening and was often judged and even berated on one occasion. It actually upset me that I had to justify and explain my private and personal situation.

That would upset me too. It seems to me that these people were so busy judging other people's Camino that they lost track of their Camino.

I don't think I saw it mentioned here, so I will add that many albergues and bars have internet computers where you can get 20-30 minutes of time for one euro. Some places even offer it for free. If you do leave your phone at home, you will have no trouble staying in contact on most days. If being connected is your only consideration in bringing along a smartphone, rest assured that you can easily stay in contact with everyone back home.

Note that if you're starting in SJPP and stopping for your first night in Orisson, Orisson has neither an internet computer nor WiFi. But Roncesvalles has both! Just so your family doesn't panic and think they've lost you straight out of the gate!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.