• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WiFi On the Olvidado y Invierno?

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
Two of us are planning to walk the Olvidado and Invierno in April/May of this year. How would you compare WiFi access on these routes to say, the Primitivo? Thanks. Fred

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two of us are planning to walk the Olvidado and Invierno in April/May of this year. How would you compare WiFi access on these routes to say, the Primitivo? Thanks. Fred

I rely on wifi almost exclusively and do not remember having any problems. I do have some data on my SIM card, for use in case of need, but I don´t remember any desperate situations. One memory I have is that there was no Vodafone service in Vegarienza. Everyone told me Movistar is a better provider in that part of the country.

BTW, this is a great, terrific, wonderful, gorgeous combination. :) Don't miss the new mountain alternatives.

Thanks, Laurie -- you've been a wealth of information! I think we've got the right info about the mountain alternatives and are looking forward to them and the entire trip. There are several threads from the past year I need to read through completely, but I'm building my knowledge base -- as well as working on my espanol. Figure I'll need this more than on the Frances, del Norte, and Primitivo.
Fred

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked them both and used wifi frequently with no issues. In fact wifi access anywhere in Spain seems better than many places in UK! I did find that the gps signal seemed very flaky on the mountain alternative of the Olvidado from Guardo to Puente-Almuhey. This made this section more difficult than most to navigate.

I had no problems with wifi along the Invierno. Such a lovely combination of routes you're planning @QuailHiker ! I haven't yet walked the Olvidado but I will. I loved the Invierno. Wishing you Buen Camino!

Nowadays it's already a norm that every bar has a wi-fi. But if you have a chance buy a SIM card (be sure that you can top it up on-line and ask how!!!) in any other EU country because it will search for the best signal (no more roaming fees in EU for the second year now) whereas Orange, Joigo, Movistar etc. will search for their transmitters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nowadays it's already a norm that every bar has a wi-fi. But if you have a chance buy a SIM card (be sure that you can top it up on-line and ask how!!!) in any other EU country because it will search for the best signal (no more roaming fees in EU for the second year now) whereas Orange, Joigo, Movistar etc. will search for their transmitters.
Kinky, that‘s a great idea. My only question, as a representative of the technologically-challenged forum members, is whether that will give me problems if I need to actually talk to someone about my phone or data service. The nice thing about Movistar and Vodafone is that they have actual physical offices with real people, most of whom are quite kind and helpful to confused senior citizens with phone issues.

Kinky, that‘s a great idea. My only question, as a representative of the technologically-challenged forum members, is whether that will give me problems if I need to actually talk to someone about my phone or data service. The nice thing about Movistar and Vodafone is that they have actual physical offices with real people, most of whom are quite kind and helpful to confused senior citizens with phone issues.
I'm sure every mobile provider has support service the only thing is how long it would take you to get the English speaking person on line. But I guess a representative of a mobile provider would be able to answer that if you buy SIM directly from them. Don't think so if you would buy it in Tabaccos but there should be support phone number on the sleave/box of each SIM card. The tricky thing here would be on-line topping up. I would clear that out first thing when purchasing foreign (not Spanish) SIM if it is not from same provider that also operate in Spain.

When are you planning to set off @QuailHiker? A group of us are starting from Bilbao at the end of April.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sure every mobile provider has support service the only thing is how long it would take you to get the English speaking person on line. But I guess a representative of a mobile provider would be able to answer that if you buy SIM directly from them. Don't think so if you would buy it in Tabaccos but there should be support phone number on the sleave/box of each SIM card. The tricky thing here would be on-line topping up. I would clear that out first thing when purchasing foreign (not Spanish) SIM if it is not from same provider that also operate in Spain.
Fortunately, as i live in UK I just keep my normal SIM….. at the moment!

Lebara is a very good choice in movistar net. And HQ in London.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back