• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wifi? - Slave to online education. Need advice

CuriousKat

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
Hi! I will be starting the Camino Frances on March 21 2017. I'm a bit nervous because I'm also taking graduate courses online and will need access to the internet at least 4 days per week. I get that most places in Spain will have wifi but I'm wondering if it is difficult to look for or if I would be better off getting a dongle/hotspot type thing. Any advice?

If I was to get a wifi device, where and which company would you recommend?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am more concern with the distraction of your online course.

How are you able to focus when you are walking 8 hours or do you plan to do much less per day? With showering, finding a place to eat for dinner, journal, washing, body maintenance, interacting with other pilgrims, the only time left maybe some internet for communicating with the love ones back home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow- Thank you so much for the concern. I was planning on taking it slow and day by day. I figured I would have to take more rest days to complete a project or whatever I needed. It is a concern I have myself too and I don't want to be so distracted I miss the pilgrim experience either. I am in a great spot now and have completed much of my work that will be due while on the trail so that should help to lighten the load and I will have a 2 week break from courses as well. This is why I was also thinking that getting an internet connection might help make it a bit easier to focus on work for an hour in the evenings or early morning 3 days a week.

Lot's of wifi all along the Camino Frances. In albergues. In cafes. In bars. In restaurants. I'm not saying you will find wifi in 100% of the places, but it is quite prevalent. You should be able to find it 4 days a week, and you should easily find an hour or so to do your work on those days. The daily "chores" so to speak, of being a pilgrim along the Camino are not that difficult or time consuming. Get to the albergue. Shower. Do a little bit of laundry and hang dry it. There, that's it. ha ha. After that you should be able to find a quiet cafe or bar, buy something and use their wifi. Knock out lunch/dinner and your studies at the same time.
I imagine something like a tablet device would be best and lightest. Make sure you get a padded neoprene type sleeve for it for protection.
ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have no problem getting wifi . It is almost everywhere along the way. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks so much- Much appreciated to know that it is doable and I should be able to find wifi. Feeling much better about chores and such but an 8 hr day followed by food and homework sounds like a regular day to me. Thank you for the advice!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back