• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WiFi

Spammy

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - this May (2016)
What is WiFi like on the Camino Frances? Is it only available in larger cities (like Pamplona)? What about smaller village albergues? I appreciate the idea is to walk free from outside influences, but I'd like to keep up to date occasionally. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd like to keep up to date occasionally
If only occasionally then no problem on the Frances. It will be a rare day that you cannot get WiFi in an albergue or a cafe at some point in your day.
"Tienes WiFi por favor?" (Do you have WiFi please?) pronounced whiffee.
"La clave WiFi?" (the WiFi key?)
They often have the key on a slip of paper but you can always just offer them the phone with a pleading look?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What is WiFi like on the Camino Frances? Is it only available in larger cities (like Pamplona)? What about smaller village albergues? I appreciate the idea is to walk free from outside influences, but I'd like to keep up to date occasionally. Thanks.
Hi, WiFi is almost everywhere on the Camino.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

If only occasionally then no problem on the Frances. It will be a rare day that you cannot get WiFi in an albergue or a cafe at some point in your day.
"Tienes WiFi por favor?" (Do you have WiFi please?) pronounced whiffee.
"La clave WiFi?" (the WiFi key?)
They often have the key on a slip of paper but you can always just offer them the phone with a pleading look?

Thank you - puts my mind at rest :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There were only two bars/cafes I stopped in last year that did not have WiFi (pronounced "wee-fee" in Europe). Some signals are wide open and do not need a password, others are password protected. Some bartenders post the password prominently somewhere behind the bar, others demand to input the password themselves into your phone (they want it kept a secret). Regardless, you will have two or three opportunities a day to check messages and upload photos to Facebook.

However, please note that Europeans believe conversations on FaceTime and Skype should not bother others. Notice how most Europeans take their phones to a corner of the bar and almost whisper into them. If someone is talking loudly in a public space, it's usually an American ("then the doctor lanced the boil on his back and green puss was everywhere! You could not believe the smell! I almost passed out! It was horrible! Hold on Mark, I've got a couple of people at the next table staring at me. They look really angry. Oh, they are saying that they would like to eat their food in peace. Typical stuck up French people. Let me walk outside. Anyway, as I was saying . . . ")

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There were only two bars/cafes I stopped in last year that did not have WiFi (pronounced "wee-fee" in Europe). Some signals are wide open and do not need a password, others are password protected. Some bartenders post the password prominently somewhere behind the bar, others demand to input the password themselves into your phone (they want it kept a secret). Regardless, you will have two or three opportunities a day to check messages and upload photos to Facebook.

However, please note that Europeans believe conversations on FaceTime and Skype should not bother others. Notice how most Europeans take their phones to a corner of the bar and almost whisper into their phones. If someone is talking loudly in a public space, it's usually an American ("then the doctor lanced the boil on his back and green puss was everywhere! You could not believe the smell! I almost passed out! It was horrible! Hold on Mark, I've got a couple of people at the next table staring at me. They look really angry. Oh, they are saying that they would like to eat their food in peace. Typical stuck up French people. Let me walk outside. Anyway, as I was saying . . . ")
Really valuable advice. Thank you (and I hope I don't meet those people!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

However, please note that Europeans believe conversations on FaceTime and Skype should not bother others. Notice how most Europeans take their phones to a corner of the bar and almost whisper into their phones. If someone is talking loudly in a public space, it's usually an American ("then the doctor lanced the boil on his back and green puss was everywhere! You could not believe the smell! I almost passed out! It was horrible! Hold on Mark, I've got a couple of people at the next table staring at me. They look really angry. Oh, they are saying that they would like to eat their food in peace. Typical stuck up French people. Let me walk outside. Anyway, as I was saying . . . ")
Hahahahahahaha!!!!! That's great humour

Another excerpt (my apologies):
"And too, there were the French. I love the French. Their fantastic food and wine, their beautiful language. But why is it that I find myself cursing them, under my breath, when I’m trying to sleep. One time many years back when Karla and I were adventure racing in the northern hill country of Viet Nam, we had come into a transition area—changing from bamboo raft to foot travel—and we were required by the race organizers to stop for a three hours rest. Fine by me. I bathed in a nearby creek and found some shade under a large community building in the village to sleep. But, so had some French teams. They never shut up! So, I found myself in much the same predicament lying in our tent that night near Puente la Reina. Talk talk talk, about all matter of things, I suppose. Oh, I love the French."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually, it's contraseña. Don't forget the tilde over the ñ.
"Ñ" is a rare letter of the Spanish language.
Their sound is hard to explain.
But it can help as example the final sound of Espa"ña"

We are finding that we can't on in some bars/cafes. And some municipal albergues do not have wifi. But that's OK am ables spend more visiting with other pilgrims. Tonight's wifi in this Albergue is great.

We are finding that we can't on in some bars/cafes. And some municipal albergues do not have wifi. But that's OK am ables spend more visiting with other pilgrims. Tonight's wifi in this Albergue is great.
Remember if you use a bar buy something I have seen some Pilgrims that don't.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I only recall one alburgue that didn't have WiFi, but I recall many that had lousy WiFi.

WiFi is almost everywhere; but the quality and speed vary a lot!
We found the biggest problem with wifi in the albergues was inadequate bandwidth in the late afternoon and in the evening as pilgrims began arriving or checking messages, posting to blogs, etc just before or after dinner time. That seems to slow down or even drop the connections at times. Another problem can be signal strength when too far away from the hotspot in some of the old buildings with thick stone walls.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
or italian gn, as in lasagna
Another example for English speakers is the "ny" in the English word "canyon." The Spanish equivalent is "cañon," which happens to mean the same thing in both languages. "Grand Canyon" = "Cañon Grande"

Actually, it's contraseña. Don't forget the tilde over the ñ.

Exactly! We may be grubby, footsore and exhausted but we must keep up our standards ;)

Also doing the CF in August September with my pal JoJo - don't forget to say hello - I look just like my avatar but no penguin :(

minus the first few days I had no issues most of the places had wifi if not I want to to bar ect.. and used the wifi while I ate or had a drink

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back