• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

WIFI

jasperg357

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning first Camino for April of 2023.
Hello, I’m planning on walking the CF next April I currently have Verizon for my cell service,I’m not overly concerned with not having cell service while on the Camino but was wondering if using the WiFi hotspots you come across is something you have to pay for? Thought I could use them to keep family updated on my status.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, I’m planning on walking the CF next April I currently have Verizon for my cell service,I’m not overly concerned with not having cell service while on the Camino but was wondering if using the WiFi hotspots you come across is something you have to pay for? Thought I could use them to keep family updated on my status.
All you'll need is the handy question "¿Que es la contrasena para la WiFi?" to ask for the password (if it isn't on the wall)

Lugged around a portable cell hotspot for 500 miles and never needed to use it once. 🤷‍♂️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's only in France that things are sometimes difficult, as one of their Ministers or MPs years ago, in a Bill intending to promote the general use of WiFi, made the silly mistake of including a provision whereby any establishment providing a WiFi service is personally liable for any illegal use of it by customers.

Because of this, WiFi is not so easily available in the country.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wifi is surprisingly common in bars and cafes even in rural Spain. There is usually a card on the bar or a sign on the wall with the password. "Free" depends on how you look at it, I wouldn't use it without buying something first. Bigger towns will have wifi in public spaces. Alsa buses have free wifi onboard (but obviously limited by their access to a network). I can't remember the name of it but there also used to be a subscription service where people would open their home networks to members. Don't know if that is still going.

Spain is a hell of a lot better at stuff like this than many countries, definitely better than the UK.

It is amazing just how many Wi-Fi passwords I have in my phone. Walk into a town or village and my phone remembers the different places I've been."WeeFee" is every where in Spain.

wifi is widely available, you should consider getting a prepaid sim , for about 20 euros a month you can make calls and get enough GB for your trip, the phone is great to have for security , and also to call ahead for reservations, or just to let your Albergue know yours still coming if you're running late, and to stay in touch with camino family members.... I've used both Orange and vodaphone and service is great for the entire camino, I think just past the iron cross I lost service for a couple of hours, which was OK because that stretch has some of the best views on the Camino
Of course you need an unlocked phone to use the cards, they are available everywhere in Spain.
Buen Camino

Attachments

• tempImageQfEVm8.png
    26.8 MB · Views: 18
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
SJPDP to Santiago. Only problem was in Hontanas. It seems to be in a valley with lousy reception so everyone is using alburge WiFi so it's at its max

I got a 10 euro pay-as-you-go vodaphone monthly top-up which gives unlimited calls plus a whopping 50gb of mobile data. A promotion apparently. It's useful in albergues with no WiFi (frequent, especially the donativos frequented by us hobigrini). So Netflix can while away the hours and drown out the chatter as the pilgrims talk endlessly of their feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked the Primitivo in May and WIFI was NOT available in many albergues. And for some strange reason, in several places ONLY cell phones carried by Spaniards worked. Did not make sense to me why other European phones would not work. Only had those problems prior to Lugo.

On the Norte in 2019, there were a lot of places without WiFi.

Hello, I’m planning on walking the CF next April I currently have Verizon for my cell service,I’m not overly concerned with not having cell service while on the Camino but was wondering if using the WiFi hotspots you come across is something you have to pay for? Thought I could use them to keep family updated on my status
Sorry. I hit the send button too soon.

I, too, have Verizon, and have been reading about the need to contact them to unlock the phone. According to their website, new phones are locked only for 60 days after purchase and are automatically unlocked after that.

Buen Camino.

Sorry. I hit the send button too soon.

I, too, have Verizon, and have been reading about the need to contact them to unlock the phone. According to their website, new phones are locked only for 60 days after purchase and are automatically unlocked after that.

Buen Camino.
I don't think I would rely on anything being "automatic" with service providers today. A simple call to Verizon will insure you are unlocked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walked the Primitivo in May and WIFI was NOT available in many albergues. And for some strange reason, in several places ONLY cell phones carried by Spaniards worked. Did not make sense to me why other European phones would not work. Only had those problems prior to Lugo.

On the Norte in 2019, there were a lot of places without WiFi.

Some providers will let you jump to a different network if the default isn't connecting. Depends on who your provider has partnerships with, some might have multiple partnerships in a country, some don't.

It's only in France that things are sometimes difficult, as one of their Ministers or MPs years ago, in a Bill intending to promote the general use of WiFi, made the silly mistake of including a provision whereby any establishment providing a WiFi service is personally liable for any illegal use of it by customers.

Because of this, WiFi is not so easily available in the country.

It's actually worse in some countries (authoritarian) where free public anonymous WiFi is almost outlawed. There are countries that now require you to register your cell phone ID (IMEI) before connecting to WiFi. If you *say* or *do* anything "bad" on the Internet, the authorities will come find you! Scarry!

-Paul

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One more point - - internal EU roaming limits were bumped recently, so that if you do need to use your 3G/4G/5G, download limits have increased substantially ; so last year, I would often hit the limit, whereas this year it hasn't happened so far.

But of course, this concerns EU SIM card contracts, not external ones.

Thanks for asking this question @jasperg357. I would like to add another question to this around VPNs. How safe do folks feel using public WIFI is in Spain and would anyone recommend a VPN as well?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.