• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wikiloc article

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and routes in Andalucia
For anyone interested in learning a bit about the background of Wikiloc, here's an article that appeared in the Olive Press today. Although the headline writer gushed a bit with his use of 'revolutionized', it was interesting to read that Wikiloc is a Spanish app, started in Girona by Jordi Ramot and his friends in 2006. As of this evening, it has 15, 239, 281 tracks uploaded to it, and over 8 million of those are in Spain and Portugal.

The commentaries and photos that walkers and cyclists have posted with their tracks have added a lot of pleasure to our trips to Spain. While planning for the Camino Mozarabe this evening, for example, I was looking at a loop we could walk as we went through Alquife. The walker who uploaded it notes that it is a spectacular route passing ten abandoned flour mills and two castles, very little known and visited. He attached numerous photos that helped us decide that this little diversion would add a lot to our understanding of the history of the area - plus it looks like a gorgeous route. I would never have heard of it if he hadn't posted the track and thus am very grateful for the time and effort that has gone into this project (just as I am for this forum :) ).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a Wikiloc free account. It is indeed very useful in documenting and archiving your trails. I go by the name of Trailhawk.

Opera Snapshot_2020-02-25_011019_www.wikiloc.com.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh how I love wikiloc!!!! It never ceases to amaze me how kind and helpful people are --
So true! You reminded me that many of the people who post tracks on Wikiloc will also answer questions about routes, areas, weather...etc. To send a private message to another Wikiloc user, one needs to have the following setting enabled in one's own Wikiloc profile: Settings--> Privacy Settings--> Enable Private messaging.

I have a Wikiloc free account. It is indeed very useful in documenting and archiving your trails. I go by the name of Trailhawk.
Trailhawk, what an interesting group of trails you have on Wikiloc. I just looked at some of your pages and think you could lure many a walker to the Philippines!

The Wikiloc trail count went up by two this afternoon. They are private right now but I will be stitching them together with others to produce a long trail going through countryside familiar to Henry David Thoreau. The start and end will be at train stations connecting to Boston.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Wikiloc trail count went up by two this afternoon. They are private right now but I will be stitching them together with others to produce a long trail going through countryside familiar to Henry David Thoreau. The start and end will be at train stations connecting to Boston.
Fantastic! I'll be looking forward to seeing them. We may have a trip to that area in the offing this summer.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.