• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

LIVE from the Camino Wikiloc help needed (now solved)

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and routes in Andalucia
## RufokF_Map ##
In our first five days, we’ve had good luck in resolving most of our glitches, but one problem has us stymied: we are recording our track each day to post in our journal, and we can’t figure out how to get my daughter’s Google Pixel 3a phone to continuously record our track using Wikiloc. My iPhone records the track just fine, but Marie’s phone seems to be adding points only when the app is open.

We have the box checked in settings for uninterrupted recording, but as you can see from the photos below, her phone is only registering a few points and drawing a straight line between. There must be some setting in her phone that needs to be changed, but we can’t figure out what.

The photo below shows what my iPhone recorded for today on the left vs what Marie’s Google Pixel 3a recorded for the same track on the right.

Any ideas on what to try next?
17065F9B-F360-4496-A055-22CCDF86A2CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Marie needs a better phone. All phones are not created equal.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is a very valid smarphone, maybe check settings in the GPs for accuracy and update rate? I am talking out of the blue, I would not have a clue, honestly, but that is my guess.
Buen camino!

I am going to assume that Marie checked out the wikiloc mapping function before leaving and it worked.

Are you using the same provider in Spain?

OH, @islandwalker, how I very much wish I could help you! You have helped me so very much with wifi and wikilocs and all the rest. But at least i can wish you a buen camino for you all!
Thanks, Laurie. Luckily, it’s only a minor blip since mine records fine. Just puzzling. As to the bigger picture, we are loving our days on the Camino even more than we thought we would. All the forum tips are coming in very handy. - Elaine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am going to assume that Marie checked out the wikiloc mapping function before leaving and it worked.

Are you using the same provider in Spain?

Good questions, thanks! This helped us narrow things down. Yes, her phone recorded perfectly at home, and yes, we are using the same provider, T-Mobile ( but they use local providers ). Now we are suspecting that maybe it is related to the fact that she had her phone in ‘battery saver’ mode. We will try it today with that off. She did not have battery saver on when she did the trial runs at home.

Good questions, thanks! This helped us narrow things down. Yes, her phone recorded perfectly at home, and yes, we are using the same provider, T-Mobile ( but they use local providers ). Now we are suspecting that maybe it is related to the fact that she had her phone in ‘battery saver’ mode. We will try it today with that off. She did not have battery saver on when she did the trial runs at home.
battery saving sounds like a good explanation for that behaviour, indeed, that might be it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
battery saving sounds like a good explanation for that behaviour, indeed, that might be it!
Yes, indeed, not turning on battery saver was the solution. Although my iPhone records a track just fine with battery saver on, it seems that for some android phones, this causes a problem with continuous recording. Thanks to all of you who sharpened our thinking on this and helped us puzzle out a solution!

Back