• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Animal Encounters

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully leave the states 2nd week of April 2014, Right now i am lost in my existence of living my life and need a cleansing before making my move to Cambodia
Hello fellow pilgrims , My ? too u is , Who has seen what types of animals along "The Way". Please share your experience with us all , weather small or big ,ugly or cute,mean or nice. If you have any pictures you would like to share that wold be a bonus. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello fellow pilgrims , My ? too u is , Who has seen what types of animals along "The Way". Please share your experience with us all , weather small or big ,ugly or cute,mean or nice. If you have any pictures you would like to share that wold be a bonus. Buen Camino
Hi Jeff,

Just send a picture of you and the " animal " in the crazy hostel of Torres del Rio.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had an encounter with a Wild Boar in a vineyard 10km after Naverette.:eek:
We encountered a wild bore not far from Pamplona he followed us to Santiago. I do not want to spark an international incident my mentioning his nationality but he spoke English with an accent.

We encountered a wild bore not far from Pamplona he followed us to Santiago. I do not want to spark an international incident my mentioning his nationality but he spoke English with an accent.
Should that not be spelled "bore" :)

Edit: And indeed it was spelled "bore" Must go to specsavers.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Would a snake with no head be a wild animal cause We seen one outside Astorga I am not sure that it was wild, but I am sure it was not pleased.

Wild animals in Spain are all pretty tame, but beware of "toros bravos" - these black bulls are genuinely wild: "Bravo" in Spanish means "wild". They are dangerous. On the ruta de la Lana there were many deer.
P1110228.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw some 'rather large birds' circling above me when at one time I had a lie down – totally exhausted (and at that point wishing I could be transmogriffed back home immediately!)

They must have zoomed on to potential prey!

annelise
I'm sure they can smell prey from a great distance. No amount of lavender water will disguise fear, weakness and finally de..............................th.
Its very important to keep moving, I too have seen some rather large birds on the Camino !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw some 'rather large birds' circling above me when at one time I had a lie down – totally exhausted (and at that point wishing I could be transmogriffed back home immediately!)

annelise

Griffin vultures. There are reports in May 2013 of a woman who fell 1000 ft to her death in the Pyrenees. Her body was consumed by the vultures before it could be recovered.

I saw lone wolfs on 2 occasions, once on the climb after Castrojeriz and next on the climb down to Acebo, but the most scariest encounter was a little bundle of hairy pooch that came flying out of an open gate determined to defend his territory, he was wild.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I saw lone wolfs on 2 occasions, once on the climb after Castrojeriz and next on the climb down to Acebo, but the most scariest encounter was a little bundle of hairy pooch that came flying out of an open gate determined to defend his territory, he was wild.
Hi Mike,
The way Exeter have been playing rugby this season I'm sure you could have converted it into 3 points. Secondary usage for boots & poles.

Buen Camino...................exiled Devonshire lad............Keith.

They say the Yeti still roams the mountains of Galicia and feeds on hapless pilgrims, but we can't be sure as none have come back to tell us their tale. :eek:Or they could be just having a great big party together - we just don't know. Further research is required.

Joking aside, this is what I encountered between Logrono and Navarette. It was scary for a while but I stood my ground and he eventually backed down! o_O

IMG_1424.JPG

Just in case any newcomers to this site think I am being serious in my last post, the bull in question is a cutout billboard which you can see after Logrono.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Keith, I gently backed away from it occassionaly prodding my walking pole to keep it at bay. It would be easy to say that I felt empathy for the little bundle of fur and teeth and that stopped me from booting it back over the gate:) but it was more I did not want to inccur bad karma and couldnt help thinking it could lead to me being sat in a guardia civil cell trying to explain away in pidgin Spanish what made me do it.

Out of Liebana on the Vadiniense in 2011 (I like saying that) I found a bar after my descent from the Franciscans, and ordered a beer and olives to fuel myself for the stretch to Cosgaya, and seated myself near a perfectly-coiffured and attired Spanish family and their model children, when a wild boar came shooting down the terrace, across the road, and up what seemed to be a nigh-vertical slope. Chairs were knocked aside and from the whiff of the beast, wild boars are not keen on personal hygiene. We sat in silence, barely breathing, with the shock of it. A waiter came out with a tray of drinks, quietly dispensing shots of brandy to us all, saying "Asi es la vida."

annelise
Those were probably Griffin Vultures. Unfortunatly the EU makes farmers burn or bury there dead livestock,therefore not much left for them to scavenge , There was a gal who fell from a cliff sad she died within, 45 minutes before rescue she was consumed by them. Interesting thread i read somewhere

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wild animals in Spain are all pretty tame, but beware of "toros bravos" - these black bulls are genuinely wild: "Bravo" in Spanish means "wild". They are dangerous. On the ruta de la Lana there were many deer.
P1110228.jpg
Very nice picture im hoping to see my share .Do you know what type of deer those are?

That is AWESOME . I would love to see some in Spain to see the difference of the type we have in the SW

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Out of Liebana on the Vadiniense in 2011 (I like saying that) I found a bar after my descent from the Franciscans, and ordered a beer and olives to fuel myself for the stretch to Cosgaya, and seated myself near a perfectly-coiffured and attired Spanish family and their model children, when a wild boar came shooting down the terrace, across the road, and up what seemed to be a nigh-vertical slope. Chairs were knocked aside and from the whiff of the beast, wild boars are not keen on personal hygiene. We sat in silence, barely breathing, with the shock of it. A waiter came out with a tray of drinks, quietly dispensing shots of brandy to us all, saying "Asi es la vida."
That must of been neat to be a part of!!YIPPEE

Those were probably Griffin Vultures. Unfortunatly the EU makes farmers burn or bury there dead livestock,therefore not much left for them to scavenge , There was a gal who fell from a cliff sad she died within, 45 minutes before rescue she was consumed by them. Interesting thread i read somewhere

Here's the report on Griffin vultures consuming the woman who fell down the cliff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vultures-plunging-1-000ft-death-Pyrenees.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for clearing that up. I almost wet myself when I first saw it . . . <he said drolly>

Are you referring to the bull or the Yeti?

Hi Jeffrey it was mid November when I saw my 1st one, just before I got into Castrojeriz I had to stand and wait for 10 minutes while a shepherd guided several hundred sheep across the road probably to new and safer pastures for winter, the sighting of the wolf might have been connected with this event .The other time was quite late it was just starting to get dark and I think that me and my walking companion startled it, it ran of with its tail between its legs. If you walk the Vadienese rute there is a thread about about bears so you could get to compare quite a few things(probaby not with the SW on this one).

Griffin vultures. There are reports in May 2013 of a woman who fell 1000 ft to her death in the Pyrenees. Her body was consumed by the vultures before it could be recovered.
What a wonderful way to end up!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very nice picture im hoping to see my share .Do you know what type of deer those are?
No Idea, Jeffrey. They were very common in Cuenca, Guadalajara and Soria with white backsides.
here's some hares I met one evening in Cuenca.
P11102361.jpg

I have been following the blog of a guy called Nev who is walking from Prague to Santiago and Finisterre - over 3000 km! He is currently in Germany and posted the following video yesterday (I'm sure you will excuse his initial exclamation!). His blog can be seen at http://mycaminosantiago.com/categor...y-3109km-walk-from-prague-to-finisterre-2014/
It is well written and very entertaining.

He should have followed the "big wild pig" and maybe find some truffles!? :)

No Idea, Jeffrey. They were very common in Cuenca, Guadalajara and Soria with white backsides.
here's some hares I met one evening in Cuenca.
P11102361.jpg

Nice photo! I do have a photo of a deer we encountered in the woods on the Tourenensis but it's just a small brownish blob in the distance. All my wildlife photos look like that!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought you were going to say her body was consumed before it hit the ground. But I'm fairly certain they only feed on dead animals.
P1110228.jpg
I am not really qualified but I understand from friends there are only 3 types of deer...............YES DEER, ROE SORRY NO DEER AND 3 BAGS FULL DEER.
Apparently it never fails to impress usually with flowers.

And do not forget the common 'Oh Deer' they can be heard along the way but not seen.

Oh Deer Deer Deer sorry I forgot that one, would that be the one's that complain a lot ? This thread is becoming expensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They say the Yeti still roams the mountains of Galicia and feeds on hapless pilgrims, but we can't be sure as none have come back to tell us their tale. :eek:Or they could be just having a great big party together - we just don't know. Further research is required.

Joking aside, this is what I encountered between Logrono and Navarette. It was scary for a while but I stood my ground and he eventually backed down! o_O

View attachment 8958
I too encountered this magnificent beast on the way to Navarette but also witnessed a strange incident. as I stood watching the bull a rooster strolled in the field and grabbed the bulls ring in his beak, swung him around several times and threw him several meters, the bull then got up, dusted himself off and charged the rooster flinging him about ten meters into the air, the rooster fluttered down, landed on the bulls back grabbed one of his ears and twisted, the bull bellowed in pain and dropped to his knees. The rooster then strutted out of the field.
No one would believe me when I told this story at the albergue..........
They said it was a cock and bull story.......................;);)

Last edited:
I too encountered this magnificent beast on the way to Navarette but also witnessed a strange incident. as I stood watching the bull a rooster strolled in the field and grabbed the bulls ring in his beak, swung him around several times and threw him several meters, the bull then got up, dusted himself off and charged the rooster flinging him about ten meters into the air, the rooster fluttered down, landed on the bulls back grabbed one of his ears and twisted, the bull bellowed in pain and dropped to his knees. The rooster then strutted out of the field.
The said it was a cock and bull story.......................;);)

What skeptics they are. There's a simple explanation. Obviously one of the miraculous cocks on the loose from Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

The said it was a cock and bull story.......................;);)

All I can say to that is .......oh deer!

@Jeffrey--- the boar incident happened far too quickly for me to be excited about it. If I had thought at all, I would have been terrified-- these animals are very dangerous and unlucky hunters have been seriously injured by them. When cornered, they have been known to kill several hunting dogs before expiring.

I thought the CF would be safe enough, however, I found myself stalked by a wild animal in 2012. I could hear it creeping behind me, waiting for me to make a mistake, as it waited for the moment to pounce. Without even looking, I ran. I was just able to snap this quick photo of the beast preparing for the attack. And then suddenly, it was gone. Like Bigfoot.
Camino de Santiago 2012 036.jpg

They said it was a cock and bull story.......................;);)

Nice one! :D

mikevasey posted: "I saw lone wolfs on 2 occasions, once on the climb after Castrojeriz and next on the climb down to Acebo"

There are quite a few wolves in Spain (around 2000), but I have never seen one in my whole life living in Spain.
People that I know who live in Galicia in areas where the wolves killed several colts and calfs in a year have an average of 2 or 3 times seeing the wolf in their lifes. So, mikevasey you are a very lucky person.

Are you referring to the bull or the Yeti?
Actually, it was the rabbits. After they got through with an Englishman in our party, Tim gloated, "I warned you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it? Well, it's always the same. I always tell them--"

We blogged the whole encounter <here>.

We had stopped for lunch along the side of the path somewhere in the meseta in the rain. When we finished, this snake was beside our packs. The snake was cold, but still alive, as determined by a gentle nudge from my trekking pole. I jumped about a foot (my all-time best at age 65) when I saw it.

IMG_3294.JPG IMG_3294.JPG

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

In june 2012, on my first Camino Primitivo stage between Oviedo and Escamplero, I met 2 fawns into a panic ... A little bit worried, I wondered what they were going to do ... To come towards me or to run away in the scrub ? They ran away ! Attached a photo with one of the fawns.

Théo
faons.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw these two on the way to the albergue in Torremeijía. Lucky for me they were contained behind bars.

And do not forget the common 'Oh Deer' they can be heard along the way but not seen.
Well here in Yorkshire, we have another one not seen or even a "heard "of in Spain, it's the ,"by their deer",often found around the green grocers or supermarkets though I've not seen a heard of them much in Spain ?

Last edited:
The 'By Their Deer' tends to shun the 'No Eye Deer', which because of the cruel quirk of birth that nature has played on it has compensated by devolping acute hearing, so much so that keen observers of the No Eye Deer have devolped a little shrug of the shoulders to indicate it presence.

Last edited by a moderator:
As have mentioned before, these wild ones attacked me. There were 5, and in the last moments before my demise, I was able to get the shot of 3 of them. Ouch. It was soo bad, I needed a beer after. Just as everyday, the Camino gave me something I needed.

Camino pups.jpg

Well, Mr Alisn, those dogs don't look TOO dangerous, unlike some wild packs I've seen over on the Mediterranean coast.
On my last pilgrimage I did meet one killer creature ... I was lucky to escape severe injury [or even death]. I managed to take this picture before running away ....
DSCF4640.JPG

Buen camino!

Well here in Yorkshire, we have another one not seen or even a "heard "of in Spain, it's the ,"by their deer",often found around the green grocers or supermarkets though I've not seen a heard of them much in Spain ?

It's no wonder that these deers are being culled, they are even breeding like rabbits on this thread.
Hi,

In june 2012, on my first Camino Primitivo stage between Oviedo and Escamplero, I met 2 fawns into a panic ... A little bit worried, I wondered what they were going to do ... To come towards me or to run away in the scrub ? They ran away ! Attached a photo with one of the fawns.

Théo
View attachment 8977

Which deerection were they heading, and saying that you have no ideer will not help.

Last edited:
OK Punners for Santiago. What can you do with Partriges?:)
P1050837.jpg

On the Camino de Levante, near Toledo.

Looks like two members of the Partridge Family to me. :)

Put one in a pear tree and get koilife to stuff the other one and roast it in his lightweight oven for all to share.
Very pleased these were not pheasants otherwise they would need plucking first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Put one in a pear tree and get koilife to stuff the other one and roast it in his lightweight oven for all to share.
Very pleased these were not pheasants otherwise they would need plucking first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I roast and serve them, feathers and all. It's all in the presentation . . .

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.