• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Camping along Via de la Plata and weather

arthursecato

Hi Everyone,
I am going to beginn my way on Via de La Plata on First September. I dont have much money to pay the hostels so I am thinking to take a small tend and just camp. I also think to camp is more beatiful, just to wonderring the stars at night somewhere in the nature and next mornig by sunrise pack everything and go further. I would stay in a hostel every 3 or 4 days to wash my stuff and also take a shower.

What I would like to know is. It is safe to camp along the way? and how is the weather in september and october along the way. Rain?

I also would like to know if the way cross many rivers where I could for example take a bath.

If someone want to enjoy in the wild camping...be welcome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
arthursecato said:
Hi Everyone,
I dont have much money to pay the hostels so I am thinking to take a small tend and just camp. I also think to camp is more beatiful, just to wonderring the stars at night somewhere in the nature and next mornig by sunrise pack everything and go further. I would stay in a hostel every 3 or 4 days to wash my stuff and also take a shower.

What I would like to know is. It is safe to camp along the way?

If someone want to enjoy in the wild camping...be welcome!

Welcome to the forum!!
You and me both, mate - I hope you get some positive feedback, though I suspect it's unlikely, from previous discussions on this subject ....... :mrgreen:

My brother continued on to the Via de la Plata after we reached Pamplona from France, and it rained almost continuously in late October and November. It was his most miserable Camino yet!!

Your reception as a wild camper will depend on the authorities -- whether they catch you and whether they are in a good mood. Forty years ago an acquaintance had an encounter with the Guardia Civil that took a U.S. Senator to get access to him, and after a month in jail, he was in pretty bad mental and physical condition. Of course, Franco is gone now.

Have fun!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lesson: Don't drink, then give the cops a lot of lip!!

I am waiting for the Martin Sheen scene in The Way where he is rowdy. In the clips, it looks like the police are quite restrained. That might be rare for Spanish police...

Well, with the police is no problem. It is not illegal to camp if the property is no prived.
"It is allowed to camp in Spain outside of private areas (in the latter case you need a permission). It may be forbidden to camp in the mountains. Restrictions on camping:it is forbidden to camp closer than 150m of main road (highway?), closer than 100m of historic building, no more than 10 people and 3 tents in one camp. It is forbidden to camp in the same spot longer than 3 days. All this info - from Langenscheidt Spanish language book"

So, with that in mind you should not ridicularizate people only because they think different. And for the guy who I make laugh....
Good to know that not every one along this way is tolerant and openminded. People like you destroy this world, instead to joy life.

Backing to my point: Thanks for the guy who told it is rainy in november.....but I am acctualy going from september first to maybe 10th october. Is it rainy in tha time?
I am not affraid from police or jail becaus it is not illegal, I am afraid of criminals and intolerant people.....someone could tell me that?
Thank you guys!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
falcon269 said:
My brother continued on to the Via de la Plata after we reached Pamplona from France, and it rained almost continuously in late October and November. It was his most miserable Camino yet!!

Your reception as a wild camper will depend on the authorities -- whether they catch you and whether they are in a good mood. Forty years ago an acquaintance had an encounter with the Guardia Civil that took a U.S. Senator to get access to him, and after a month in jail, he was in pretty bad mental and physical condition. Of course, Franco is gone now.

Have fun!

Perhaps we could kill 2 birds with one stone here - there's a guy on another thread wishing to make a camino-doc, featuring, among other things, "anyone who's been in prison"..........

Yeah....people seem to be really alienated here.

And you know sojouner, they are a bunch of hypocrites, they think the way is only for those who have a good bank account, although this way is a Christian way and was for centuries only for very poor pilgrims, do these people think there where hostels or 4 star hotels 1000 years ago? And if you are not free to sleep under a tree you still live in a dictatorship. I did wild camping in the most paradisal beaches in Brazil, it's just wonderfull to stay under the sky at night and wake up with the birds, hearing the waves....... Actually I could pay for these hostels but I prefer personally to camp, make a small fireplace, play some flute, prepare my own food and if with more people collective food....

That is way the question is safety

From a cycling website:

However, there is a slight legal difference that you might find interesting, which I learned from a student of mine who's a member of the Guardia Civil. Wild camping is definitely prohibited, but "pernoctando" - basically crashing for the night - is not, under several circumstances. Basically the difference is whether you sleep under the stars without a tent, or look like you're going to stay (i.e. using a tent, which is the easiest way to get busted.) The law states that you cannot camp wild within a kilometre radius of an official campsite, and you really shouldn't camp on private property without the owner's permission. Naturally, this doesn't help when you're on the coast or near the cities. But cycle tourists travelling through inland Andalusia regularly kip out under the stars in olive groves, nature parks and on the sides of greenways, simply because there aren't enough hotels or rural B&B's. I've had to do it on several trips and no one has ever said anything.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wild camping on Praza do Obradoiro.

Attachments

• Obradoiro.jpg
    Obradoiro.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,276
Come on, all you camino veterans - has anyone ever seen a wild camper on/beside the route?(VDLP or elsewhere) Are there any?,if so, where? or are they too "stealthy" to escape notice?

To the OP........

I've wild camped the whole of the VDLP in the middle of winter and enjoyed every minute of it.

Don't worry about the authorities or anyone else for that matter. Be discrete and in the unlikely event that anyone tells you to move on, just get up and go.

Your most important task is to avoid domestic animals whilst camping as they´ll gather around (peacefully), hence attracting the attention of the farmer.

USe your imagination when finding a spot, the most unusual palces can be the best camping areas.

Carry plenty of water, even in winter, particularly in the Southern section as many rivers are dried up or water not potable. In the North, there is water everywhere.

Plenty of stream and rivers for washing and it's brilliant fun, even in the freezing cold.

You'll be treated with suspicion by some elements (reminds me of the fim Deliverance, lol), but don't worry they're just curious.

Back to nature......does it for me every time.

Don't listen to the city folk.

Final note........for those anti-camping people, camping isn't necessarily about affordability, and never assume that their material worth doesn't surpass yours.........but then again if people have to ask the question, I doubt that they'd understand the answer!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't think I have read anything by "anti-camping people." Personally, I love camping, and have hundreds of nights out in my lifetime (none on the Camino). I do think that guests in Spain should abide by the house rules. There are plenty of official campsites in Spain, so I detect a little bit of scofflaw attitude in wild camping. It just isn't necessary, so may just be "no one is going to tell me what to do with my life." Most campers leave places cleaner than when they arrived, but I have also seen the abandoned smoldering fire littered with beer bottles. Spanish authorities have seen them too, and have established rules. I read that this year the fire danger is elevated. The police may assume that campers are a sign of fires, and be particularly vigilant in enforcing the rules. Society does have an interest in camper conduct, and most of the rules are designed for public safety, not to harass campers.

I have seen wild campers on the Camino. One couple left a sign on the path asking to be awoken at 9 a.m.; not a stealthy move!

Someone who has only joined yesterday and posted three times and by his third post has jumped to a conclusion that the people here are " a bunch of hipocrits, they think the way is only for those who have a good bankaccount" should read a lot more of the posts before he slanders our members again.

This forum is made up of a wide range of people most of whom do not have "good bankaccount"s. Be careful before you make any more unfounded accusations.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
johnie99 said:
To the OP........

I've wild camped the whole of the VDLP in the middle of winter and enjoyed every minute of it.

Don't worry about the authorities or anyone else for that matter. Be discrete and in the unlikely event that anyone tells you to move on, just get up and go.

Your most important task is to avoid domestic animals whilst camping as they´ll gather around (peacefully), hence attracting the attention of the farmer.

USe your imagination when finding a spot, the most unusual palces can be the best camping areas.

Carry plenty of water, even in winter, particularly in the Southern section as many rivers are dried up or water not potable. In the North, there is water everywhere.

Plenty of stream and rivers for washing and it's brilliant fun, even in the freezing cold.

You'll be treated with suspicion by some elements (reminds me of the fim Deliverance, lol), but don't worry they're just curious.

Final note........for those anti-camping people, camping isn't necessarily about affordability, and never assume that their material worth doesn't surpass yours.........but then again if people have to ask the question, I doubt that they'd understand the answer!

I mostly agree with what you´ve said apart from the silly bit about "city folk".

johnie99 wrote:To the OP........

I mostly agree with what you´ve said apart from the silly bit about "city folk".
Not a lot of city folk on a Camino. It's a pretty outdoorsy crowd.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
falcon269 said:
Lesson: Don't drink, then give the cops a lot of lip!!

I am waiting for the Martin Sheen scene in The Way where he is rowdy. In the clips, it looks like the police are quite restrained. That might be rare for Spanish police...

I have always found the Spanish police to be courteous and helpful. In Zamarramala they brought an errant pilg to the alb/ermita late at night because he was obviously in difficulty.

Not unusually, we seem to have strayed off topic, but at least the OP got some practical advice from johnie99, if nothing else....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are a few aspects of wild camping that can be shared in context.

The probable perception of camping as an illegal act results in two reactions.

Firstly when camping, you are more careful, you respect nature, almost like a nature loving monk or military reconnaissance person. You definitely never leave any garbage or toilet paper behind. You leave no trace of you presence, like the solitude in nature, and perhaps take your footprints with you as well :lol:

Secondly the Camino has a micro economy. This economy relies on the tourist to spend money; therefore camping is seen as a loss of income. In peak season the economic facilities may be running over capacity.

The pilgrim has the abovementioned two options to choose/mix from depending on the solitude vs. facility requirements such pilgrim may have from time to time.

Lastly sharing locations of wild camping sites is a two edged sword. There are two camps of thought :D . The one is that reusing wild campsites protect the impact on nature, inversely not sharing wild campsites distributes the impact camping has on nature.

Keep in mind, N/name, that the landscape in Spain which you see on caminos is not 'natural'. It is an intensely managed environment. It is countryside, but is not natural, nor is it wild.

The meseta is beautiful but it could also be called an environmental disaster, where nearly all the trees have been removed and a near monoculture imposed. You refer to reducing the 'impact on nature' - actually it has been changed more than you imagine.

"Countryside" and "natural" are not interchangeable terms.

arthursecato said:
Hi Everyone,
I am going to beginn my way on Via de La Plata on First September. I dont have much money to pay the hostels so I am thinking to take a small tend and just camp. I also think to camp is more beatiful, just to wonderring the stars at night somewhere in the nature and next mornig by sunrise pack everything and go further. I would stay in a hostel every 3 or 4 days to wash my stuff and also .....

This sounds great! I do think you must make sure that you keep a Credential up to date proving that you are a pilgrim.

I have seen a few pilgrims wild camping on the Camino Frances. As for the Police , I can say that I have only positive experiences - they are courteous , show restraint and are most tolerant.

I think I may just try a week of wild camping on my next Camino; it really sounds exciting , just have to get over the fears for my safety.

Be prepared for cold nights and good luck. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
johnie99 said:
To the OP........

This is all great advice Johhnie - I must take this challenge on some time. I may just give you a ring closer to the time as I'm sure there are loads of other tips you can still share -------yes , jippy ............think I'll start looking at flight options ........NOW! :mrgreen:

RENSHAW said:
arthursecato said:
I think I may just try a week of wild camping on my next Camino; it really sounds exciting , just have to get over the fears for my safety.

Safety: the owls and the animals will do you no harm. It's people who will harm you. So relax and have a lovely night under the stars.

I haven't been anywhere near this route, unfortunately, but I have two friends who walked it last year. They found that they camped under the stars a number of times because of the distances between indoor halts (like me they belong to the silvered generation). They didn't have a tent with them as they hadn't intended to camp, just sleeping bagged the night away. They enjoyed it immensely, felt that they were an integral part of the landscape and history and did not have any problems at all. They have both spoken of the deep field of stars .. so thick and close they felt that they could cup them in their hands .. and the sense of immensity and awe they felt.
Certainly they didn't take over fields with growing crops in them, nor damage any trees for fire - or even make a fire, too wary of accidents for that - and they carried their waste away.
For them it worked perfectly.

This topic does, for some reason, produce strong reactions. I am not quite sure why. Actually, I have no idea why at all .... we all fit into this pilgrimage experience in different ways .. at one end of the scale the hotelled luggage carried guided pilgrims, at the other end the self-contained camper. But we are all pilgrims and in a certain way, family. This is a forum, open to disagreements as well as supportive sharing so to a degree we may say what we feel, what we believe, but we don't have the right to try and impose onto others .. - don't you think? :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just returned from the Via de la Plata en did some wild camping. Spend half of the nights in my tent and the other in the albergues. The tent helps to really sleep, since one does not hear the snorring from fellow pilgrims.
I started of on the campsite in Salamanca, asked a couple farmers if I could sleep on their field: "Io so peregrino. Me puede acampar aqui para una noche, por favor" usually gives you permission.
Stayed on the campsite in Puebla de Sanabria for two nights, was great! and slept on two merendero's where I did not get into any trouble: Rionegro del Puente (just before entering town and go underneath the bridge to the other side) and Osseira (where I also stayed two nights without problems.)
So, also stayed some nights besides the albergue in my tent, with permission of the hospitaleiro. Did not even have to pay, but could enjoy the shower and toilet!. Advantage is also that you do not have to leave before 8am!
There are many beautiful places on several occasions where it would be wonderful to camp also. !!!Just remember, wild camping: do not leave any rubbish behind!!!
Buen camino!

I've camped several nights along the VDLP and also along the Frances. I've also seen other campers on both routes. I have a lightweight screen tent. I also have just slept in my bag when there's no threat of rain or mosquitoes. One night we camped in a place where firemen brought us water - so I'm assuming they didn't mind. Several times I camped in the yard of the albergue - but I did pay - so I could use the showers/kitchen. I think if you use your brain, and you are polite and ask permission, you will be ok. Some people may say no... respect that and move on. Have a great Camino!

I cannot see how 'wild camping' is not necessary on the V de P... i'm starting the route, from Cadiz, and the affordable albergues are not close enough to spend every night in. I have looked up campsites, but most are on the coast and the few there are on the way are set up for family holidays and charge a lot... Much more than a hostal! So anyone on a budget would have to wildcamp or maybe use 'Warm Showers' or 'Couchsurfing' I expect we will wildcamp half the time - we have a budget which will be spent in local shops/bars/albergues and I offer reciprical accommodation in the uk. This way i feel we are contributing to the local culture as well as promoting self reliance.
In the past when wildcamping i have not been moved on - but usually people are worried you might be cold/hungry/unsafe!
Viva wildcamping!

Yep, for many it's not an issue of saving money, but more about being in nature or away from other pilgrims who might not always be the most quiet.

I camped a number of times on the CF (always with permission) and really enjoyed the break from the bunk beds! Camping in the grounds of albergues is a good option too and surprisingly a number on the CF allowed this, or even encouraged it when it was busy inside. I also met a number of people on the CF who only camped and never went near an albergue. For sure they would have had a different experience compared to the majority, and many will argue that they missed out, but they seem to having a great camino their way, and that's all that matters.

I carry full camping gear with me always and hoping to have a few peaceful nights under the stars on the VDLP soon. I should be able to offer some tips and advice for future camping peregrinos.

Last edited:
When are you starting the VDLP long trails? We are starting around 5th april from Cadiz, might see you on the way...!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I start walking from Seville on April 10th. I will be wild camping about 50% of the time. I have wild camped on numerous caminos before (with and without a tent), including The via Gebenensis, Via Podiensis, CF, Salvador and Primitivo. Never had a problem, everyone I met was so kind. Never leave rubbish, never light a fire.

Buen Camino
Davey

Have n't got an actual start date yet as I am already in Spain and slowly making my way south, but likely to be in the last week of March.

I had considered starting from Cadiz. I went there a few years ago, great little city. Jerez is a nice spot too.

I actually arrive in Seville April 4th but a friend who I met on the San Salvador lives there so will be staying with him. Also there is a huge weeklong Fiesta in the city from the weekend of 8/9 April which my friend has convinced me to stay and see, Hence I start walking on the 10th!

Looks like you will be just ahead of me then!
Buen Camino!
Davey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yea I wanted to start before the fiesta week! Currently in Valencia and it's getting crazy here for Fallas. Kids chucking fireworks about seemed fun for a day!

The place I was staying upped their rates by 4 times. Good that you have accommodation sorted in Seville.

Come on, all you camino veterans - has anyone ever seen a wild camper on/beside the route?(VDLP or elsewhere) Are there any?,if so, where? or are they too "stealthy" to escape notice?

The only one I saw was right beside the path (though I know others were doing it, but of course I wasn't walking in the dark when they would camped) I thought he might be dead because it was 9 in the morning and he was just laying there, 'asleep', beside the path. It was an uncomfortable moment.

You mean lying there with no tent? Yea that would be strange. Just seeing a tent, not so much.

Hope to see you guys on the way. We start in Cadiz around the 5th, but will cycle off from home (Devon) on April's Fool's Day - it's kinda irresistible! Then ferry and hire car down south - to meet up with 2 Americans and a Thai friend who are cycling from Malaga - and now a German guy might be cycling along for a bit too...:D All of us wild campers but looking forward to the luxury of albergues too...!;)

Well - we did wild camp two nights out of three along the VdlP - never got moved on, always a welcome from locals, always a spot (even with 3 tents) So I would say wild camping is fine on this route. I have just wild-camped all the way across the UK, with only 3 nights on campsites, and the same applies, easy to find a spot, welcome from locals and hardly any campsites en route anyhow.... what else can you do...!? ;):rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

On VDLP a couple of cyclists usually in unglamorous dead spaces around road junctions (I was on a bike). On CF a surprising number but unless you are walking very late/camping yourself you won't see them. Never forget the chap trying to sleep in a hollow tree - scared the life out of me when a tree started speaking to me :) If you are quiet and discreet, arrive late/leave early who is going to know? If you leave litter, disturb animals/crops, make a disturbance, etc. and hit problems you only have yourself to blame. I guess the areas with prime Ibérico pigs are more closely watched than other areas and best avoided!

Ahh... the gorgeous oak woodlands, just before the Arch of Caparra, lovely spot. The vineyards - drinking the wine that was made from those very grapes.... Being blessed by the priest on the edge of a small village, the castle beside the stream... happy memories!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back