• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wild camping en route

tincress

does anyone have any advice about wild camping in Galicia? I understand that if you are not in a town and there is not a campsite within a few miles it is not illegal. But is it safe? Would there be anywhere feasible to camp discretely in the woods? Also I am planning to get FEVE train across from Bilbaoa to Oviedo stay overnight, then FEVE oviedo to El Ferrol next day, can you buy tickets ok in Bilbao does any one know? Any help/advice gratefully recieved. We leave on 25th June from Chale Isle of Wight, to follow in the footsteps of Father John Goodyear who left from there in 1456. Should start walking from Ferrol on 30th June.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Our first Camino we descretly set up our small green tent several times with no problem at all. I can't imagine it isn't safe, but then, I live in the US, so perhaps my perspective of safe is a bit blurred. I fear meth heads more than farm dogs, or even militant Basques.

My only concern in Galicia is the rain and the drivers.

The FEVE doesn't sell tickets in advance, you buy them on the day. The journey from Bilbao to Oviedo is probably about 7 hours, the same as from Oviedo to Ferrol. We found about 4 hours at a time was enough (Santander to Oviedo) with a break in Ribadeo between Oviedo and Ferrol as it swings and shakes a lot. If you are over 60 you can buy a Tarjeta Azul for 3 euros which then gives you half price fares.
In Oviedo the Hostal Oviedo, Calle Uria 43 (effectively over the Cafe Cristina) is opposite the station if you come down the escalator not over the bridge. First solid door on your right on C Uria, with your back to the station clock.
In Ribadeo, if you decide to stop over, the Cafe Garden has rooms (also internet). Just follow the signs into town keeping right at the fork and it is opposite the big supermarket.
Between Betanzos and Meson do Vento there is nowhere to buy food or drink, although we were told of a bar in Leiro. Camping could be a problem as the woods are really forestry but others will maybe be able to advise better. Some of the tracks are very steep and narrow if you are carting things with your buggy and could be very difficult.
Apart from the long stretch between Betanzos and Bruma we had no trouble finding fairly cheap accomodation when not in the albergue. Also the Bar Zapatero in Leiro can give you the key to beds in the Colegio (4 only) according to 4 (male) Spanish pilgrims we met. (Johnny W - it would be good to know exactly where that bar is)
Hope this all helps your planning. We have had a marvellous time.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you so much for your advice. We are counting down the days now until we go. We are booked on the ferry from Portsmouth on the 26th June, so will arrive in Spain on the 28th. We have been practicing walking and we know we can manage 8 miles a day, so it may take us 10 days to complete, the Camino Ingles!

Buen Camino, y vaya con Dios!
Tina

Seeking Father John

This was the recent newspaper coverage on the Isle of Wight

Attachments

• 23-05-2011 18;43;18.jpg
    23-05-2011 18;43;18.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 2,635
One suggestion we have thought about. You could perhaps e-mail the ayuntamientos along the Way asking for permission to camp somewhere in their area, by the Camino. If they know it is for religious and historical reasons they would probably be able to give you advice and help. Do either of you speak any Spanish?
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
yes i speak some spanish. I lived in spain for a year when i was 1 7. i have found out that it is legal as long as not near a campsite and 5k from a town. i wiil let you know the rule number later. thank you for all your help.

This I found in a guide book of Galicia: As every where camping is normally forbidden in the National Parks and conservation areas. Outside of these areas, regulation 79/1990 of 8 May 1990 decrees that above 1500m you can camp anywhere thats more than two hours walk from a vehicle access. Below 1500m you have the right to pitch a tent more than 5 km from a designated camping ground and 1 km from an urban centre. It's forbidden to camp within 100m of a river or road. If anyone challenges you, you need to quote, decreto 79/1990 del ocho de mayo

There aren't any wild bears in Galicia are there?

Buen Camino

tincress said:
There aren't any wild bears in Galicia are there?

Buen Camino
Not that we are aware of on the Camino Inglés.
However there are long stretches that do say that it is a 'designated hunting area ' without specifying what is being hunted, or the hunting season. The tourist office in Ferrol, who are very helpful, should be able to tell you. (They will also give you a sello.)
Buen Camino
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are bears in Galicia - the Brown Bear. Not many, but they are there, and breeding. There also many wolves and wild boars. An angry boar is a frightening thing.

Enjoy! :wink:

p.s. I don't think any pilgrim has ever had a problem - wild animals tend to be more scared of us than we are of them :wink:

Oh Oh! I know you are right - they probably are more frightened of us, but I can be quite frightened too! Thanks for the information.

:lol: Be not afraid - I was only joking. They do exist but stay well away from people. also, it is a really large area and they are few - all is well :wink:

I feel the same about that long trail that Bill Bryson went on - the appalachian? There are real killing bears there aren't there? I wouldn't go anywhere near! :shock:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Br David
Not too worried, checked where the bears, boars and wolves are and you are absolutely correct, not in the area of the Camino Ingles! Snakes could be an issue so will keep a look out and let you know if I see any. Counting down to our departure, from 25 June from St Andrews church Isle of Wight.
Thanks for your advice

Vamos con Dios!

of bears and boars and wolves and all things wild...
on the vdlp between Santa Croya de Tera and Rionegro del Puente
i did a bit of unscheduled off-piste navigational exploration
and somehow ended up walking through what appeared to be a game-reserve
what i saw made my hair stand on end
in the road were the tracks of what looked like a smallish buck, zig-zagging across the road track
and between those tracks were those claw marks of a very large attacker
there was no evidence of the kill in the clearing, and i was in no condition to investigate in the bush
i took a photo of the claw-print which was substantially larger than my hand
when i stopped at a bar for coffee near San Salvador de Palazuelo the next day, the proprietor had a photo on the wall of a wolf hunt a few years previous
theyd shot this HUGE wolf
suggest you keep some garlic and a cross handy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One reason that there is a public interest in regulating "wild camping.":
The Arizona Wallow Fire became the largest in the state’s history on Tuesday having burned through 469,000 acres of woodland, and causing nearly 10,000 people to evacuate their homes.

Spokesman for the multiple agencies battling the fire Kelly Wood reported that investigations are now centered on two people, who were being questioned about the campfire that could have ignited the huge Wallow Fire. The identities of the two being questioned have not been released.
Just as poor people are not thieves, campers are not arsonists. But there are reasons why governments need to control camping. Ten thousand persons have been massively affected by the alleged actions of two persons.

thanks for that Falcon, you are right, it is a major consideration. I have a fire phobia, so will be very careful anyway, but good point to raise
Thanks

Tina

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back