• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Camping on The Caminho Português - Allowed or Forbidden?

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
So, I talked with some people here in the Forum in the last few months, and also in the Hotel where I work about doing wild camping in Portugal.

Since there was a huge interest in knowing if it is legal or illegal to do it, I’ve decided to search for the law that regulates this activity.

This law was inserted on the Portuguese Diary of the Republic (where all the laws are published after Parliament and Presidential approval) in 18th of December, 2002. It has the number 310/2002.

After consulting the law (that you can find in here: http://dre.pt/pdf1sdip/2002/12/292A00/78967903.pdf), you will find out that Wild Camping in Portugal it’s not forbidden, but that it is very difficult to do it. Why? Because you need a special permit attributed by the City Hall from the municipality where you want to camp. There are almost 350 municipalities in Portugal. You just have to do the math…

You can also request this permit on a GNR (Portuguese Nation Guard) or at PSP (the regular Public Police) at any of their police stations. But once again, the permit it’s only valid on the area of the police station area.

And last, but not least, you have also to get permission from the Health Delegate from the Regional Health Direction.

So, has you can see, things are not very easy.

The fines go from 150 to 200€. I don’t know how the things are in Spain, but I’ve talked at least with 10 persons who have told me that they have done the Caminho Frances with camping gear and that the authorities didn’t gave them any problems.

So, if you are intending to do the Caminho Português, be aware of this. And if you choose to camp in the wild, cloak yourself very well, or you may have to get extra funds for your Caminho :p

Best Regards
Diogo

P.S: Camping in Portugal it’s not forbidden, a lot of people do it, but they do it on Camping Parks. Note that possibly you can find Camping Parks on the Caminho. Check the Portuguese Camping Association at http://www.fcmportugal.com/PresentationLayer/homepage.aspx for a list of their Camping Parks. Note that for the Camping Parks of the Federation, you must have an International Camping License.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Diogo, Thanks for finding the primary source on this question. But as you say, there is often a difference between the law as written and the law as applied.

Sorry if this goes off-topic, but one of my very first conversations in Lisbon in halting Portuguese was with a police officer. We had just arrived, bought a car, and had driven to the shopping center Colombo. We saw cars parked everywhere along the sidewalks but there were signs everywhere saying no parking. There were cops strolling by, totally unfazed by the situation, so I asked one: Is parking here permitted? He answered: Senhora, não é nem permitido nem proibido. (Mam, it's neither permitted nor prohibited).

Without wanting to make ridiculous cultural generalizations on the basis of one comment, I think that response illustrates that in Portugal you will sometimes encounter a different approach to "the law" than you would find in other places.

Hello @peregrina2000

No problem with the off topic, but yeah, it's what happens. But right now, with Austerity Politics they are trying to pick up money in everything they can, so they are applying the laws so that they can pass fines to the people.

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the information! I fully expect to do a little wild camping while tromping through Portugal. Although given all of the hoops to jump through, I'll probably do it illegally most of the time. Those kind of rules are far beyond anything I'd consider reasonable.

But I wonder--is the purpose of the law more for people who plan to camp in the same location for days (or weeks!) at a time? Those sorts of rules would be much more reasonable if they're meant to target people to are trying to set up a semi-permanent campsite rather than transients who are just passing through.

-- Ryan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Green Tortuga one could say, after reading and seeing the law, that the law is more indicated for the semi-permanent cases, than to other ones. But since that, there has been an effort to create a good Camping Parks network (which the majority it's great, with very good facilities), we can also say that this law also applies for people who are just passing by. And I'm with your opinion about the rules. Just pay attention if you do it, with the time of the year, because of the forest fires.

@falcon269 , what about to live free? That's pretty much a reason :p

Best Regards
Diogo

we can also say that this law also applies for people who are just passing by.
That sounds reasonable to me. The local control indicates that the hosts want to monitor how the public resources are being used, and by whom. It is not a ban, but a set of regulations to minimize the impact on the local community while permitting guests to camp. I think that every one of us would think that it is reasonable to control the way our house and property is used. Governments have that same responsibility of guardianship for the collective properties. No one walks into my house to use it anyway he wants at his sole discretion. Xuntas set up regulations to balance the various rights and responsibilities. Status as a pilgrim does not merit a waiver to these regulations. A responsible pilgrim knows the laws and obeys them.

That sounds reasonable to me. The local control indicates that the hosts want to monitor how the public resources are being used, and by whom. It is not a ban, but a set of regulations to minimize the impact on the local community while permitting guests to camp. I think that every one of us would think that it is reasonable to control the way our house and property is used. Governments have that same responsibility of guardianship for the collective properties. No one walks into my house to use it anyway he wants at his sole discretion. Xuntas set up regulations to balance the various rights and responsibilities. Status as a pilgrim does not merit a waiver to these regulations. A responsible pilgrim knows the laws and obeys them.

I couldn't have described it better :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, I talked with some people here in the Forum in the last few months, and also in the Hotel where I work about doing wild camping in Portugal.

Since there was a huge interest in knowing if it is legal or illegal to do it, I’ve decided to search for the law that regulates this activity.

This law was inserted on the Portuguese Diary of the Republic (where all the laws are published after Parliament and Presidential approval) in 18th of December, 2002. It has the number 310/2002.

After consulting the law (that you can find in here: http://dre.pt/pdf1sdip/2002/12/292A00/78967903.pdf), you will find out that Wild Camping in Portugal it’s not forbidden, but that it is very difficult to do it. Why? Because you need a special permit attributed by the City Hall from the municipality where you want to camp. There are almost 350 municipalities in Portugal. You just have to do the math…

You can also request this permit on a GNR (Portuguese Nation Guard) or at PSP (the regular Public Police) at any of their police stations. But once again, the permit it’s only valid on the area of the police station area.

And last, but not least, you have also to get permission from the Health Delegate from the Regional Health Direction.

So, has you can see, things are not very easy.

The fines go from 150 to 200€. I don’t know how the things are in Spain, but I’ve talked at least with 10 persons who have told me that they have done the Caminho Frances with camping gear and that the authorities didn’t gave them any problems.

So, if you are intending to do the Caminho Português, be aware of this. And if you choose to camp in the wild, cloak yourself very well, or you may have to get extra funds for your Caminho :p

Best Regards
Diogo

P.S: Camping in Portugal it’s not forbidden, a lot of people do it, but they do it on Camping Parks. Note that possibly you can find Camping Parks on the Caminho. Check the Portuguese Camping Association at http://www.fcmportugal.com/PresentationLayer/homepage.aspx for a list of their Camping Parks. Note that for the Camping Parks of the Federation, you must have an International Camping License.
The link to the camping federation gives an error I am curious about them too Diogo due to we will come with our carand caravana to Portugal in May next

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Como sempre ! Optímo amigo querido !:D

If you try to contact them, please tell me if they ever answered. I've sent an email to there about 3 weeks ago, and they didn't gaved me any reponse. I think I'll call them, or I'll go directly to their HQ.

Best Regards
Diogo

If you try to contact them, please tell me if they ever answered. I've sent an email to there about 3 weeks ago, and they didn't gaved me any reponse. I think I'll call them, or I'll go directly to their HQ.

Best Regards
Diogo
As far as I can see they do only a small account of campingsites in Portugal. I think and hope :mad: That there exist more places to camp. At their site one (um !) campingsite in the north.
Maybe there will be another federation too !
We have planned after walking the camino Ingles to drive to Cee to look around in Fisterre and Muxia
From there to Vigo and from there direction Tui/Valença We will drive the track along the coast A Guarda, Oia Baiona to see if this walking in 2015 is something for us .
From there we like to see Viana do Castello, stay some time in Porto, go on to Coimbra and from there direction where you live. And than direction Salamanca in Spain and back home.
We will take 2 month for this trip, back home beginning of july

Last edited:
As far as I can see they do only a small account of campingsites in Portugal. I think and hope :mad: That there exist more places to camp. At their site one (um !) campingsite in the north.
Maybe there will be another federation too !
We have planned after walking the camino Ingles to drive to Cee to look around in Fisterre and Muxia
From there to Vigo and from there direction Tui/Valença We will drive the track along the coast A Guarda, Oia Baiona to see if this walking in 2015 is something for us .
From there we like to see Viano do Castello, stay some time in Porto, go on to Coimbra and from there direction where you live. And than direction Salamanca in Spain and back home.
We will take 2 month for this trip, back home beginning of july

The parks indicated in there are the only ones that work with the Federation. You can see more in here http://www.roteiro-campista.pt/wp/

And in here: http://pt.camping.info/portugal/parques

Best Regards
Diogo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having travelled widely in Portugal - camping, I have noticed that there are plenty of campsites on the coast and tourist areas, but very few elsewhere. On the Camino from Lisbon, even by bicycle there was not campsites within reach each day. However I have never been asked for a permit whilst wild camping - any person you meet is usually concerned that you are comfortable and happy!
Many laws are made - and especially in southern Europe - many laws are ignored. Each person has to balance adherence to a law with their fundamental human rights - and each person then has to accept the consequences that arise from their decision. Personally after a lifetime of travel and camping both wild and on campsites, I shall continue to wild camp - as in 47 years I have not been challenged or asked to leave even once...

Hi! Thanks for tips and informations. Honestly, I did wild camping in France and on the Camino frances and I think that... I will see case by case. .
My rules are : when no one can see me, I'm safe and, of course, leaving no traces. In France and Spain I never had troubles, I'll tell you if my chance has passed, this time! :)
Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just for info : In Burgete, just after Roncesvalles (CF) I've been waked up by the Guardia Civil. It was the first and only time someone told me something about sleeping outside. I just had a sleeping bag, no tent. They told me : "Hey man, are you a Pilgrim or a Hobo?" I answered that I was I Pilgrim. "Haaaa, ok, No problem, then!" They just checked my pilgrim passport and wished me good night...
In Santiago, on the morning, I was cooking my coffee for the breakfast ON THE STREET (I just selpt in an ATM). A Police car came and they told me with a smile: "Hello... What are you doing there?" I just answered : "Cafè solo por el desayuno, quieres cafè?" (Just my coffee for breakfast, do you want some?). They laughed : No, no, no! Ahahah, but were are you from? Just answered : I'm French. They said : "Ah, Francia... Ok, bye!" And the let me drink my coffee with no other question. Maybe being french is a good apologize to do strange things or, maybe I was not the first Pilgrim to do that... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back