• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild Camping on the VDLP

Tommy Barr

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ,Le Puy, Norte,Primitivo, VDLP,Ingles,Portuguese, Mozarabe
Hi I'm leaving Seville for Santiago on the 4th September 2014 and I am thinking of Wild Camping. Does anyone have any recent experience of this and any information on where I could get screw connection gas canisters. thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi I'm leaving Seville for Santiago on the 4th September 2014 and I am thinking of Wild Camping. Does anyone have any recent experience of this and any information on where I could get screw connection gas canisters. thank you

I don't know anything about gas, but there were places all along the VDLP that I would have camped if I'd taken a tent (on the sections I've walked).

You might want to consider using an alcohol-based stove rather than a canister stove. Probably much easier to get fuel. (and the stove is much lighter too!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Tommy - sorry no insight on camping but great to hear that you will be leaving Sevilla on 4 Sept. That is my start day too and I am walking with 2 Canadians. I look forward to meeting you on the Way.. All the best Mel

Hi Tommy - sorry no insight on camping but great to hear that you will be leaving Sevilla on 4 Sept. That is my start day too and I am walking with 2 Canadians. I look forward to meeting you on the Way.. All the best Mel
Thanks a lot folks for your info. Mel I think we are having second thoughts on the camping :) I'm travelling with another Irishman hope to see you there Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Tommy, how’s the planning going for your Sept departure? I’ll be in Sevilla at the same time. Not sure when I’ll depart - around the 7th I think.
Cheers, Grace

Hi Tommy, how’s the planning going for your Sept departure? I’ll be in Sevilla at the same time. Not sure when I’ll depart - around the 7th I think.
Cheers, Grace
Hi Grace - yes the planning is going well. Decided not to camp but stay in Albergues arriving Seville on the 2nd stay two nights in Triana Baclpackers and start walking on the 4th. Looking foward to it. And you plans all done? Cheers Tommy

Hi Tommy,
All the ‘big’ plans are sorted. I’m still trying to figure out how to keep my (pack) weight down and at the same time not get cold in the North. I am a little sensitive to the cold!! I have mostly icebreaker tops for layering and absolutely love them - perfect in the heat AND the cold.

I remember the last time I walked VdlP in Spring it was freezing in Galicia and I struggled a little in the early morning frosts. It’s all part of the adventure though, isn’t it. And I know I can stock up in Zamora if I think the Portuguese section will be cool.

I can’t wait to get back to Sevilla and savour the food and wine, let alone wander the little streets in the old centre (where I used to live). Its so gorgeous. By Sept most of the bars will be open again after the compulsory ‘August holidays’ .

You’re heading off a little ahead of me so we may not catch up on the camino but happy to have a wine to toast your departure.
Cheers, Grace

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[QUOTE="Stripey Socks, post: 200332, member: 33073”]...you will be leaving Sevilla on 4 Sept. That is my start day too and I am walking with 2 Canadians. I look forward to meeting you on the Way.. All the best Mel[/QUOTE]
Hi Mel,
I’ll be in Seville at the same time but departing a little later as I have friends to catch up with. Where are you staying in Sevilla? I’d love to catch up for a wine before you leave if it’s convenient.
Cheers, Grace

Hi Tommy,
All the ‘big’ plans are sorted. I’m still trying to figure out how to keep my (pack) weight down and at the same time not get cold in the North. I am a little sensitive to the cold!! I have mostly icebreaker tops for layering and absolutely love them - perfect in the heat AND the cold.

I remember the last time I walked VdlP in Spring it was freezing in Galicia and I struggled a little in the early morning frosts. It’s all part of the adventure though, isn’t it. And I know I can stock up in Zamora if I think the Portuguese section will be cool.

I can’t wait to get back to Sevilla and savour the food and wine, let alone wander the little streets in the old centre (where I used to live). Its so gorgeous. By Sept most of the bars will be open again after the compulsory ‘August holidays’ .

You’re heading off a little ahead of me so we may not catch up on the camino but happy to have a wine to toast your departure.
Cheers, Grace
Hi Grace I've walked in Galicia in August and early September and was very lucky as the weather fine but it will be later this year I just take a very light waterproof jacket and a light jogging jacket along with my tops. I was more concerned about the heat on the route. I've started from Le Puy /Frances to Santiago/Muxia( last week in June) in 2012 and Le Puy Norte/Primitivo (first week in July) last year and was very lucky with the weather both times just a few days rain although there was a lot of mud from Le Puy for the first fortnight last year. I would love to have a glass of wine and swap thoughts on the Camino before we start. Cheers Tommy

You're on, Tommy. Personal Message me at the end of August and I will have a Spanish number. We can meet in Sevilla and swap camino stories. I seem so far away still. It's difficult keeping up appearances with my job when all I'm thinking of is getting back on the camino. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back