• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wild swimming

silverbum

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi all I am planning my 1st Camino from Pamplona to SdC starting 28th April. I have found that cold water swims help my body especially my knees recover from a long day walking. Dose anyone have any good swim spots along the route. Also are there any laws that I should be aware of.
Thanks fellow pilgrims

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all I am planning my 1st Camino from Pamplona to SdC starting 28th April. I have found that cold water swims help my body especially my knees recover from a long day walking. Dose anyone have any good swim spots along the route. Also are there any laws that I should be aware of.
Thanks fellow pilgrims
Hola dear friend :)
For sure there are plenty of spots along the way. In case of no replies, check on Google Earth app and Wikiloc app. A lot of helpful useful awesomeness of information. Take your time 🙏🙂✨☘️💖🌅

Buen Camino Peregrino!

Depending upon the season, some albergues even have pools! I know that isn’t “wild” but it may be the only option for an area. Some municipalities also have public pools.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A number of towns and villages along the route have a playa fluvial - an official bathing and recreation area beside the river. The depth and speed of the flow might not be ideal for swimming though.
Godspeed my friend 🙏🙂✨☘️🌅 Gracias! 💙

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you start in Pamplona on April 28, by May in Galicia a number of outdoor pools will-likely be open at private Albergues. They were being used in early May last year.

Thanks fellow pilgrims
Hi I walked the CF in 2021, as I did it August (I know.......) it was a tad warm, I found that sticking my legs into any river, or, the concrete aqueducts that lined many of the fields worked wonders.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks fellow pilgrims
Thanks fellow pilgrims
If you want to swim with any regularity you might want to walk the northern coast instead. There would be much more swimming opportunity there as compared to the Camino Frances. And that water in the Cantabrian is COLD! I honestly don’t recall much opportunity for swimming along the Frances. Plus I’d be wary of agricultural runoff. A few albergues have swimming pools and I’ve heard people mention the river by Molinaseca. I always walk in colder seasons so haven’t really sought swimming opportunities on the Frances. Perhaps in summer there are more options than I realize. The climate is pretty arid, so not a lot of natural bodies of water on a daily basis.

Hi I walked the CF in 2021, as I did it August (I know.......) it was a tad warm, I found that sticking my legs into any river, or, the concrete aqueducts that lined many of the fields worked wonders.....
RE: aqueducts, do they use recycled water, i. e., without insecticides removed? Same for rivers in agricultural areas?

RE: aqueducts, do they use recycled water, i. e., without insecticides removed? Same for rivers in agricultural areas?
Hi, I think this was untreated water, that is pumped to water the fields, its bloody freezing tho, would love to know where its source is.......anyone?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not wild swimming, but please be aware that for public pools you may encounter dress code rules. For men, that's speedos rather than long short-style swim trunks. In some cases, bathing caps for men and women alike. The latter may be available for purchase on site, but I recall a peregrino's story of surprise and disappointment at being denied entry to a public pool in La Rioja because he was wearing board shorts.

Not wild swimming, but please be aware that for public pools you may encounter dress code rules. For men, that's speedos rather than long short-style swim trunks. In some cases, bathing caps for men and women alike. The latter may be available for purchase on site, but I recall a peregrino's story of surprise and disappointment at being denied entry to a public pool in La Rioja because he was wearing board shorts.
That is interesting. I would think that long shorts provide more coverage and modesty than speedos. Usually dress codes require more modesty, not less.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In years past, and when the circumstances are right, there is a delightfully frigid watering hole here. It is along the stretch from Triacastela to Samos, and isn't easily visible from the camino. But if you get to the village of Renche you have only overshot it by 50m.
Cheers that sounds a promising spot

That is interesting. I would think that long shorts provide more coverage and modesty than speedos. Usually dress codes require more modesty, not less.
The worry is probably dirty underwear under street wear shorts and it being easier to ban all shorts instead of shorts by style.

Edit: BTW, I really enjoyed swimming laps at Molinaseca. From the dam to the other side of the Roman bridge under one arch and back using another arch. And in walking shorts!

True. My understanding was that it had to do with ideas around hygiene over modesty: longer shorts being able to carry more dirt, or possibly to be worn in non-swimming environments before entering the pool. An interesting cultural difference. It may not be required universally at Spanish municipal pools, just a heads-up that some do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
During my first Camino, most of the swimming I saw being done was by some wild and crazy pilgrims off the road in a nearby stream - skinny dipping, of course.

Feel free (pun intended).

Thanks fellow pilgrims
There are a few albergues that have pools.

Please note that while the water at Finisterre is lovely and chillingly-cold per your requirement, it is inherently dangerous and should not be undertaken unless you have experience in unregulated ocean swimming.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Me, too. But, it is Europe, and Speedos seem to be de rigeur unless you’re at Porto, Biarritz, Lacanau or other surf spots.

Molinaseca have reopened the smaller of their two river swimming pools and hope to have the larger one dammed and filled for use next week.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back