• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wildlife on the Camino Madrid

Lorcan Sirr

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Burgos to Santiago (2013)
Future: Madrid to Santiago (2015?)
Hola. I was thinking of doing the Camino Madrid shortly (i.e. end of this month) and in doing some research am finding photos of things like horses and bulls (bulls!) along the route. I have not desire to meet bulls (I've seen what they can do in bullfights) so was wondering from people's experiences how likely is it to encounter such beasts along the way??

LS

Attachments

• Bulls.jpg
    Bulls.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 8
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In a word - No. Yes there are some cattle around but they are no problem and usually behind a fence when not being driven towards you by a farmer. I have also found myself in faced by sheep being driven by a shepherd. Horses keep themselves to themselves, just ignore them. Whatever you do don't feed the horses! Wildlife on the Camino tends to start at Sarria with some partying a bit!

Al - that's the answer I was looking for. Just like other routes then it seems. I live in Spain and have seen what these 550-700kg bulls can do when just mildly irritated, never mind annoyed! Thinking of starting before end of this month. . .have left trusty rucksack in Ireland though so might have to shop beforehand.

Thanks for that.
LS

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Segovia two weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of wildlife I saw on the Camino Madrid. I saw deer, lizards, a big black snake, a Least Weasel, and a wild pig, as well as many kinds of birds, including elusive Great Bustards and many cuckoos. One of the highlights on the Madrid is a farm full of black pigs -- dozens of piglet escapees ran joyfully through the underbrush, squealing and snorting. Not "wildlife," but a lot of fun!

That sounds lovely. And it definitely constitutes 'wildlife'...

Hog farm on Camino de Madrid!

Attachments

• hog farm.jpg
    hog farm.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 10
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been walking Sierra de Madrid for more than 30 years and never encountered a brave bull.
In Madrid province there are some cattle farms that raise bulls for bullfights but all of them are protected with fences and have visible warnings.
I have found tame bulls only in two ocassions, but I had no problems with them. Carrying a pole is useful to set a barrier between you and the animal.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola. I was thinking of doing the Camino Madrid shortly (i.e. end of this month) and in doing some research am finding photos of things like horses and bulls (bulls!) along the route. I have not desire to meet bulls (I've seen what they can do in bullfights) so was wondering from people's experiences how likely is it to encounter such beasts along the way??

LS
Hola, Lorcan!

It's almost impossible to meet a bull outside the fence in Spain (and other EU countries for that matter also). They are far too dangerous farmers could allow that. Those few cows roaming around you might saw in one or two of my photos taken before Navacerrada were completely harmless.

Mentioned black pigs farm is located shortly after Penaflor de Hornija.

Ultreia!

All good. Thanks for all the replies. I hope to emerge ungorged then where the only bull I encounter is on a plate or in a story.

LS

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I came across this piece of wildlife. Had my sticks close to hand at all times. Thankfully it seemed preoccupied so I was able to sneak by...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1431452976249.jpg
    FB_IMG_1431452976249.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 28
I have been walking Sierra de Madrid for more than 30 years and never encountered a brave bull.
In Madrid province there are some cattle farms that raise bulls for bullfights but all of them are protected with fences and have visible warnings.
I have found tame bulls only in two ocassions, but I had no problems with them. Carrying a pole is useful to set a barrier between you and the animal.
Off subject a little - But while touring rural Andalucia, encountered a bull that took exception to the front end of a Morgan. It blocked the road gored a policeman who happened along. The policeman found a local farmer (aged 70 plus) who wrapped the bulls tail round its back leg and tipped it over with no effort. In this area the bulls roam wild and can be territorial.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back