• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I be bored out of my mind?

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
It may be that my husband will be unable to come to Spain due to impending back surgery. If that is true, then I will have 40 days to walk the Camino (SJPP to Santiago) before having to jump on a plane to Seville to take my flight home. Orginally I was going to begin Sept 2 in Pamplona and plan to arrive in Santiago on Oct 2 to meet my husband and attend Pilgrim's Mass before going sightseeing in Spain. If I were to do the Camino the leisurely way, would I be bored? I plan to take the side trips and to take short days for Leon and Pamplona to be able to look around. I am also planning now to stop more in smaller towns rather than the major ones. Taking it a little slow and letting the Camino soak in sounds good--especially since I may now have the time to do it that way--but what are the down sides? I suspect I would go through lots of acquaintances since most would be motoring on. I've also debated going a little faster and then continuing on to Finisterre. Input?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Portia1,
I can't actually think of any downsides at all it will be as good as it sounds you lucky thing.
Not all pilgrims are thundering along at a great rate or bound by tight time-frames, some may only do 10 or 15 km a day. So you will have a great mix of the familiar and the new in terms of fellow pilgrims. You may be many things en route, some unexpected, but bored is unlikely to be one them!
Bonne route

Whether you'll be bored or not really depends on you, right?

Do you enjoy seeing the scenery, hearing the birds, watching the clouds, tasting the rain, smelling the animals and dust, feeling the sun and/or rain, and visiting beautiful old churches where you can see art as good as you see in the Louvre or the British Museum?

Do you enjoy meeting new people, making new friends, learning a new language or two, trying new food, and the challenge of traveling as light as possible?

Are there things about yourself you can contemplate while you walk with no distractions?

What I've found is that generally people either love the Camino or they hate the Camino.
That decision, by the way, is often made 48 hours to several weeks after leaving the Camino! :lol:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie, great post!

I am 9 days away from going to Barcelona -> Pamplona and start walking. I have a one-way ticket :lol:
Plenty of time (say 40-50 days; more if I want to (retired 55 years old)) and I think I am already getting into camino mode :!:

You mention things that have been on my mind, really, and I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that I'll be bored :!:

I hope (and believe) that it will be a mind-blowing experience. I think I understand the posts by experienc3ed walkers (I am a first-timer, but have already a suspicion not a last-timer :wink: ).

Isn't it much about your attitude :?:

What I really look forward to, is to walk in my pace (though I'm quite fit); not too much, and stop wherever I feel is a place I want to stay: Checking in, finding a bar/cafe, sipping a glass of wine, watching people/scenery, reflecting, having a meal, sleep, walk, and let the crazy world outside do its thing without me for a couple of months...

So: Bored :?: Absolutely not :!: but it may have to do with one's mindset, methinks. Find the right mindset.

Edit: Portia: I start from Pamplona on 25th of Aug, but will take it slow. If you walk fast, we may meet 8)

Well, only boring people get bored. ;) I'm starting 9/1 in SJP, getting to Pamplona on 9/4, so will be a bit behind you. However, we may cross paths if you dilly-dally somewhere along the way. :)

You can always find something to do, even in the smallest towns (except maybe Torres del Rio), so I wouldn't worry about getting bored. :)

Kelly

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kelly--with the possible change of plans, I would start one day after you in STPP on Sept 2nd. And Annie, I agree with your assessments. I am a long distance hiker (I've done over 1,000 miles on the AT) and really enjoy seeing what there is to see. I am mid-60's so I don't have anything to prove at this point! I figure I's best see what there is to see the first time around! The reason I asked the question is because I don't have any way to evaluate the Camino as my experience has been mostly wilderness. I am looking forward to meeting people, having plenty of time to journal, and to encounter the Risen Lord however in whoever and whatever he presents himself. That is one reason I am now orienting myself toward smaller towns. Less than three weeks now!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peace! I just did the Camino from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in 37 days. I started on June 25 and arrived at Santiago last July 31. I walked at my own pace... leisurely might even be a better word! I enjoyed the scenery greatly, had wonderful time with the people I met on the road, was fascinated with the stories shared, laughed with people I met for the first time yet felt I had known them for ages, made friends from different countries, prayed at numerous churches, sampled the food typical of the place and am dreaming of doing the Camino again. I never encountered boredom along the way. How I wished I had even more time! Let the Camino guide you. There were times that I just stopped at towns or villages I didn't even plan to spend the night at but stayed because I found them so interesting. There are so many delightful things to discover and interesting persons to encounter. May you have a truly great time at the Camino. Buen Camino!

Blessings,
Manny D

Rest assured, the sections where I was taking the most leisurely approach were the parts I enjoyed most, you will not be bored. It is a totally new experience, every step of the way. I would say though that you may wish to treat yourself on a few occasions to a private room in a hostal or even a reasonably priced hotel in the larger cities, the camino is never boring, but I did find that albuerges night after night, especially if you are unfortunate enough to encounter difficulties getting a full nights sleep, could be a bit wearing, For the last 150 km my the fellow pilgrim I was walking with at that stage averaged a private room one night in three because we had got a bit browned off with the albuerges, but they may be a lot less crowded by the time that you go..Good Luck.. 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Manny D said:
Peace!

I enjoyed the scenery greatly, had wonderful time with the people I met on the road, was fascinated with the stories shared, laughed with people I met for the first time yet felt I had known them for ages, made friends from different countries, prayed at numerous churches, sampled the food typical of the place and am dreaming of doing the Camino again. I never encountered boredom along the way. How I wished I had even more time! Let the Camino guide you. There were times that I just stopped at towns or villages I didn't even plan to spend the night at but stayed because I found them so interesting. There are so many delightful things to discover and interesting persons to encounter. May you have a truly great time at the Camino. Buen Camino!

Blessings,
Manny D

Hi Manny
It is evident that you had a wonderful time, as your enthusiasm comes across loud and clear.
I will be off to Spain on September 6 for my first camino and I am grateful to hear these encouraging thoughts and sentiments .
Thank you so much for uplifting and positive post.

Hey :D

I think this thought goes through our minds especially those who walk the Camino on their own. I hated myself way back in 2007 when i started at St. Jean Pied de Port for taking up the decision to walk the Camino. I am absolutely not a mountain person (there are no mountains in Malta - only sea!!) and was on my own, dripping wet and scared cause of thunderstorms!!! :cry:

But, in a nutshell i think the Camino is a mind blowing experience, which goes parallel to the real life, full of ups and downs, an experience which enables you to tolerate, accept, give, take and appreciate life. It is simply awesome!! and glad that i will be back on the 8th September!! :D

Buen Camino
chax

In two hours I will be on my way to the airport--landing in Pamplona tomorrow morning. It is hard to believe after 12 years of thinking about this, that it is finally really happening! After all the last minute schedule changes and taking care of care for my husband pre & post surgery, I think I'm ready. I look forward to meeting other forum members on the journey and to sharing a vino tinto.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back