• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I have to do the Frances?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I'm plotting again.
Still waiting to hear if my husband's friend can be in Spain at the right time for them to do the Frances together on bikes (long held dream). The excuse I'll give is hubby's 50th birthday - but if it comes off it will be a surprise present.
I got to thinking that seeing as I turn 50 as well at the end of the year I could also do a camino. Obvious conclusion yes?
I was hankering after the Ruta de la Lana and on to Santiago, dipping down to the Invierno. But if we were all to arrive in Santiago at the same time I'd need to leave six weeks before the bikers and as fabulous as my husband is, he might point out that this is a very long time for my kids to be completely self-directed in their home education when I am meant to be their teacher;-) It would be a fair comment. So I looked at which routes would allow me to slip away just three weeks before him. Norte doesn't call to me. Portuguese is not an option as I want to practise Spanish. I've just done the Primitivo for a second time. Meeting together in Santiago would be a priority so it seems to leave the Frances. In some ways I'd quite like to do it - I haven't done it from Saint Jean to Santiago in one bite so in some ways I wouldn't mind. But I really would have preferred a non-English camino. Maybe I could just refuse to speak English;-) Wouldn't that be better than NO camino? Or is there another option I have missed? (On the other hand, it would be handy to look back on 2019 as the year we both did the Frances for our fiftieths rather than separate ones)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1.) Invierno
2.) Frances
3.) Ingles with extension to Fisterra/Muxia (or vice versa) and back to SdC

Hava a ball!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nine years after my first Camino Francés I returned at the end of October to walk from SJPdP once again. Although I had walked various sections from Burgos on in the ensuing years (plus about 12 other Caminos), leaving from SJPdP was calling me again.

It doesn't have to be an "English" experience. I often walked with Spanish (or French) speaking pilgrims and of course used my Spanish in cafés, albergues, supermercados and generally with locals. You might need to make an extra effort but it can be done.

I have spent a lot of time on the Francés this past year so am looking forward to a new Camino. The Lana or Olvidado/Invierno are possibilities I'm looking at.

Maybe Francés + Invierno or Via de la Plata + Francés + Invierno or Via de la Plata + Sanabrés?
I've just walked part of the Francés and the Invierno, and it was absolutely marvellous, the Invierno is just so breathtakingly beautiful!

The time of the year when you're walking is important, too: in late December, I encountered no English speakers even on the Francés. The pilgrims I met were almost all Spanish and Italian, one Hungarian.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back