• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I make the 14:52 train to SJPdP if my plane lands in Biarritz at 12:50

Sam Hardman

Time of past OR future Camino
2006, 2007 Camino Francés
2017 SJPdP - Belorado
2018 SJPdP - Fisterra/Muxía
2019 Camino Primitivo
I‘m flying to Biarritz on the 21st and trying to work out how to get to St Jean. My plan is to take the number 14 bus to Bayonne Gare, then the train to St Jean. My plane should land at 12:50 and I found a train at 14:52. Is it realistic I could be there on time?

I also looked at the Chronobus timetable and see that there isn‘t actually a stop called Bayonne gare. Do I get off at Echauguette? is there a screen on the bus to say where I am?

Thanks for your help!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The bus takes about 30minutes from the airport to the "Echauguette" stop from where you just have to cross the bridge to the train station. So the latest bus you could catch leaves around 14.00. That gives you 1.10h to exit the plane, wait for the backpack, get a ticket and get on the bus. So I would say yes, you can make it. There are later trains ( if i remember correctly at 6pm or so) so if you're delayed etc you can still get to SJpdP on that day.

The bus takes about 30minutes from the airport to the "Echauguette" stop from where you just have to cross the bridge to the train station. So the latest bus you could catch leaves around 14.00. That gives you 1.10h to exit the plane, wait for the backpack, get a ticket and get on the bus. So I would say yes, you can make it. There are later trains ( if i remember correctly at 6pm or so) so if you're delayed etc you can still get to SJpdP on that day.
Great! Thanks for your help :)

How would I know when it's the right stop? Do tue buses have screens or do I need to ask the driver to tell me?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I‘m flying to Biarritz on the 21st and trying to work out how to get to St Jean. My plan is to take the number 14 bus to Bayonne Gare, then the train to St Jean. My plane should land at 12:50 and I found a train at 14:52. Is it realistic I could be there on time?

I also looked at the Chronobus timetable and see that there isn‘t actually a stop called Bayonne gare. Do I get off at Echauguette? is there a screen on the bus to say where I am?

Thanks for your help!

Easily, my dear. No worries - that's a basic mindset you will use a lot very soon! Once I started the camino directly from BIQ airport and got the first stamp right there from an officer who checks your passport (I went for Norte that time). But the connection to SJPP is great. Buen camino! :-*

When I am on the camino I will relax! it‘s just getting there that I find stressful. I did a section last year and first my flight was cancelled, then the train drivers were on strike! That time I ended up taking an expensive taxi so I‘ve never used the bus. I can‘t wait to be back though.

The train line ends at St. Jean Pied de Port, so it is a hard one to miss. If you take the bus from the Biarritz airport to the train station, it also will be obvious. If you stop across the river (I know the area but don't know what buses end there), you can see the bridge to the station.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I‘m flying to Biarritz on the 21st and trying to work out how to get to St Jean. My plan is to take the number 14 bus to Bayonne Gare, then the train to St Jean. My plane should land at 12:50 and I found a train at 14:52. Is it realistic I could be there on time

It looks like you are good for getting the train. There maybe a couple of easier alternatives if you are interested.

I land at biarritz at 12:50 on the 21st. I have booked a shared Express Bourricot transfer at 13:30. There were some free spots when I booked a few weeks ago.

When I landed at Biarritz last September a bunch of folks arranged to share a taxi to St Jean. It's pretty easy to spot the walkers from the footwear and backpacks so you could ask around.

There is a good chance we will meet on the way. Say hi if you spot me.

Buen Camino

Line C from the airport is quicker than line 14, which goes "round the houses" to Bayonne. I hope this link works.

There is a bus from the airport (Aéroport Anglet) at 13.31 and 14.06, arriving at Réduit Boufflers (the stop after Bayonne Mairie (the town hall) at 13.25 and 13.55 respectively. Réduit Boufflers is on the south side of the bridge (Pont Saint-Esprit) over the river Adour, and Bayonne Gare is on the other side - a 5 minute walk. There is a screen on the bus which tells you the name of the next stop.

So, yes, you should be able to catch the 14.52 train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

(An alternative to the bus, which I have used on occasion, is to approach other (fairly obvious) pilgrims and ask if they would like to share a taxi to Bayonne Gare.)

However, if it all goes wrong, and you miss that train, there is another one at 18.30. In which case, find a cafe, pull out a book, and relax. Or go and see Bayonne cathedral.

It looks like you are good for getting the train. There maybe a couple of easier alternatives if you are interested.

I land at biarritz at 12:50 on the 21st. I have booked a shared Express Bourricot transfer at 13:30. There were some free spots when I booked a few weeks ago.

When I landed at Biarritz last September a bunch of folks arranged to share a taxi to St Jean. It's pretty easy to spot the walkers from the footwear and backpacks so you could ask around.

There is a good chance we will meet on the way. Say hi if you spot me.

Buen Camino
Sounds like we are on the same plane!

I have Express Bouricot in mind as one possibility, but as I am doing this on quite a tight budget it makes sense to take the train if that works. I‘ll look out for you at the airport/St Jean though :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Line C from the airport is quicker than line 14, which goes "round the houses" to Bayonne. I hope this link works.

There is a bus from the airport (Aéroport Anglet) at 13.31 and 14.06, arriving at Réduit Boufflers (the stop after Bayonne Mairie (the town hall) at 13.25 and 13.55 respectively. Réduit Boufflers is on the south side of the bridge (Pont Saint-Esprit) over the river Adour, and Bayonne Gare is on the other side - a 5 minute walk. There is a screen on the bus which tells you the name of the next stop.

So, yes, you should be able to catch the 14.52 train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

(An alternative to the bus, which I have used on occasion, is to approach other (fairly obvious) pilgrims and ask if they would like to share a taxi to Bayonne Gare.)

However, if it all goes wrong, and you miss that train, there is another one at 18.30. In which case, find a cafe, pull out a book, and relax. Or go and see Bayonne cathedral.
Thanks! This sounds quite straight forward so I guess I will work it out. I‘ve also heard good things about Bayonne so if I have to spend a bit of time there that won‘t be so bad :)

there isn‘t actually a stop called Bayonne gare. Do I get off at Echauguette? is there a screen on the bus to say where I am?
Thanks for your help!
Don't be shy. Ask the driver to drop you off there. Then stand in the aisle near to him in case he forgets ( he forgot me!) or hasn't understood correctly.
Keep your eyes peeled. You'll see the station as the bus arrives.
Regards
Gerard

Have you got a smart phone? If you use google maps to see where you are whilst on the bus in relation to the train station. Yes it uses your data, but it also means you know a stop or two before your actual stop and gives you time to prepare for getting off the bus. When we flew into Biarritz we got the bus to Bayonne only to find the train was off and so they had laid on a bus service to SJPdP which was out front and I only twigged on because I heard someone else being directed to the bus, we raced out and got on it.

Buen Camino and enjoy, we did and have made some wonderful friends. Relaxing in Santiago for a few days before flying home.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't be shy. Ask the driver to drop you off there. Then stand in the aisle near to him in case he forgets ( he forgot me!) or hasn't understood correctly.
Keep your eyes peeled. You'll see the station as the bus arrives.
Regards
Gerard
My problem is I don‘t speak French, but I will try my best!

Have you got a smart phone? If you use google maps to see where you are whilst on the bus in relation to the train station. Yes it uses your data, but it also means you know a stop or two before your actual stop and gives you time to prepare for getting off the bus. When we flew into Biarritz we got the bus to Bayonne only to find the train was off and so they had laid on a bus service to SJPdP which was out front and I only twigged on because I heard someone else being directed to the bus, we raced out and got on it.

Buen Camino and enjoy, we did and have made some wonderful friends. Relaxing in Santiago for a few days before flying home.
This is a great idea. I downloaded the map already so I won‘t use my data.

And thanks! I can‘t wait to be there, I wish I were flying today!

Sounds like we are on the same plane!

I have Express Bouricot in mind as one possibility, but as I am doing this on quite a tight budget it makes sense to take the train if that works. I‘ll look out for you at the airport/St Jean though :)

Last time I did this Express Bouricot was 20 euro for shared ride to SJPdP. It might be worth it to avoid any potential stress.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unhelpfully, there is no (longer) a direct bus from the airport to Bayonne station. Réduit Boufflers, (an amalgam of Place du Reduit and Allee Boufflers) on the south side of the river Adour, is the nearest stop. The station, which is not visible from Réduit Boufflers, is actually in an area called Saint-Esprit, but it's a pleasant 5-minute walk across the bridge. Look for the sign "Gare S.N.C.F."

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice. People on this forum are always so helpful and I appreciate it.

I made it to SJPdP with no problems and today made it to Roncesvallles over the mountains!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice. People on this forum are always so helpful and I appreciate it.

I made it to SJPdP with no problems and today made it to Roncesvallles over the mountains!
Hi, Sam,

Maybe it would be helpful for other newbies to post your itinerary to SJPdP and if there were any glitches or for what to be really attentive.

Nice you made it over the Pyrenees. From now on it's easier if you won't over do it.

Buen Camino! And enjoy it to the fullest!

My Itinery was:

Plane landed in Biarritz at 12.50

From the airport I went to the bus station (left of the airport arrivals building) and took the “C“ bus to Place des Basques. This took about 20 minutes I think.

From here I walked across the river to the bus station (5-10 minutes)

The idea was to get the 14.52 train to SJPdP and I arrived in good time but unfortunately the train drivers were on strike. This meant waiting 4 hours for a replacement bus which was not ideal, but did give me time to see Bayonne's impressive cathedral.

The bus arrived around 7.30pm and I went straight to the pilgrims office where I collected my pilgrim's passport and got help to find a place in an albergue.

Despite the small setback everything worked out well :)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back