• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I meet a camino family if I start in Pamplona?

audge

Time of past OR future Camino
june 2013
Hi all,
I am planning to walk the Camino around June 1st. I would like to take it fairly slowly because of age and some old injuries. I don't want to end up in Santiago in mid July because of stories I am hearing of extreme heat and crowds. I plan to fly back around the 10th of July. So...I thought of starting in Pamplona to save a few days (and my knees and back). I am walking alone and I am excited to meet people and a "Camino Family" or community along the way. My question is, is there a good place to stay in Pamplona to meet Pilgrims who are also starting there? Or do people have other suggestions of where to start?
I don't want to rush the walk, and at the same time, I don't want to arrive in Santiago later than the 10th. I also don't want to skip sections and leave new friends (if I have made connections).
So excited to be planning this.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Audge, Camino families form and dissolve constantly. People walk at different speeds, take rest-days, diversions and excursions. You will probably find that you will coincide with some and meet others for only one night in one Albergue. You may find a little band of pilgrims where your speed, stamina and taste in Albergues, coffee stops etc are perfectly congruent. You will also find that the Camino is one big family. Though some of the relatives can be a little distant.

40 days from Pamplona should give you time to become pilgrim fit and have a comfortable journey.

Enjoy every mile and every new friend.

Buen Camino

Often when pilgrims discover that the pilgrimage is harder than they imagined, they walk their own pace for a while, then take transportation that catches them up to their "family" for at least a couple of days, then they fall back again, only to repeat the catch up. You will meet a hundred pilgrims at the Jesus y Maria albergue in Pamplona, so don't worry about meeting people. There is bus service in Estella and Los Arcos, so you can catch up by going to Santo Domingo del Calzada or Logrono. Remember that you are on pilgrimage for yourself, not the people that you meet, so take them as an additional benefit, not the reason for being there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Strangely, most of the friendships that we have formed, and kept in touch with after returning home, have been mainly with Spaniards and Italians and have usually met them on the last third part of our journey. Only on a couple of times have we kept seeing Pilgrims that we met up with during the first few days. This could also be because we usually stay in smaller villages " between the posted recommended stages" I also think that you have a far bigger possibility to get to know fellow Pilgrims in the smaller Albergues, especially the Parroquial ones, where usually a communal dinner is served and everyone is expected to give a helping hand. Anne

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Audge:

June 1st to July 10th will be more than enough time to walk.

There is no specific starting point. On your walk you will meet those who started in SJPdP, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Sarria etc.

Try not to determine ahead of time what you want the Camino to be.To much expectation might lead to disappointment.

Start your journey slowly and let your body adjust. Pack as light as possible. Then just let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks so much for the feedback.
It's all very helpful. I really wasn't expecting to meet people to go the whole way with. It's just that in most of the posts I read, it seems most people who do more than a month start from SJPDP. I didn't know if I was missing some big thing by starting a few days later. I know the mountains are beautiful, is there something magical about starting in SJPDP?

Any recommendations of where to stay the first night in Pamplona?
Jesus Y Maria, the big one, or another small one. I'd love to go to one that has a meal if there is such a thing in Pamplona.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
audge said:
Thanks so much for the feedback.
It's all very helpful. I really wasn't expecting to meet people to go the whole way with. It's just that in most of the posts I read, it seems most people who do more than a month start from SJPDP. I didn't know if I was missing some big thing by starting a few days later. I know the mountains are beautiful, is there something magical about starting in SJPDP?

Any recommendations of where to stay the first night in Pamplona?
Jesus Y Maria, the big one, or another small one. I'd love to go to one that has a meal if there is such a thing in Pamplona.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Why dont you get the Rocesvalles bus to Zubiri for your first night?

About SJPDP . My husband started there, but I started in Roncevalles . He said it was very beautiful and special, and here is nothing else like it. It seems that people who start there have a special experience in common. But I have no regrets about missing it out. It was not my starting point.
We met lots of people who started in Pamplona. Wherever you start, you will get talking to others and sharing experiences,
Have a lovely time :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As a rule of thumb the nearer one gets to Santiago the more people there are on the Camino.

If you start at Roncesvalles you may well find that the smaller numbers are a help in getting to know people.

Do not be surprised if you form no relationships that exist beyond the Camino; it is the way it is.

Enjoy the company while it is there, learn from others, give to others and know that your life will have been enriched by the experience.

I would only go by transport it time, tiredness or illness were an issue, never to keep up with friends.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back