• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I need a fleece?

Turga

Camino tortuga
Time of past OR future Camino
🐢. . . . . . . . .
I am on the final preparations for my Camino on the Frances from end of August through September, and after many training walks with my backpack, I admit I am getting a bit hysterical about weight. I have gradually worked my way down to about 7,5 kilos now (just slightly above the “magical” 10% of body weight), and I am considering leaving my fleece behind – I mean it’s still 400 grams! I bring a rain-jacket and I was wondering if that would not be sufficient on chilly mornings and rainy days?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You realize that you are asking the forum to predict the weather, right? Pretty tough to do. The thing is, every year is different. What I would suggest is making this call the day before you leave. If all looks good (ie, warm) in the forecast for the first week, leave it at home. If things take a cooler turn as your Camino proceeds, buy a new one along the trail. Keep an eye on the forecasts!

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is hard to answer a question about whether to bring a specific item of clothing. Everything depends on the layering that you have. Maybe a fleece isn't necessary but what other layers do you have for warmth when (a) walking, (b) when lounging in the evenings, (c) when sleeping? Will you always have something warm and dry in the evenings?

Do you mind being cold? I am cold averse so I carry the fleece and the sleeping bag. Other people don't mind the cold so they take a sleep sheet and no fleece.

What is your preference???

You realize that you are asking the forum to predict the weather, right? Pretty tough to do.

No, I didn't realize that! I thought I was asking general advice. But keeping an eye on weather forecasts, of course, is good advice.
Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One or two lightweight ski base layers such as this should keep you warm and snug. Walking in late autumn/winter I always wear one and keep one dry for evening.

Happy packing and Buen camino!

Hi,
For what it is worth and from personal experience I have always found that a basic two layers has worked for walking first thing in morning and this generally goes down to one layer once I have got going- as long as it is not raining. Base layer T Shirt (160g) plus lightweight fleece (220G). On top of this I carry a waterproof jacket (500g) and this has worked over my Caminos at various times of the year. I have also at times carried a 400g down jacket for the evenings which on the VdlP earlier this year (February/March) was used. As has been pointed out you will need a warm layer once you stop walking and cool down. The weight of your pack at 7.5 kg sounds about right but as also been pointed out you should have no problem on the Frances in buying extra kit if you need it.
Buen Camino,
Don

Thanks Don, that was just what I needed. I thought I had a lightweight fleece, but now I will look into getting something lighter -pronto :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also, I have a light puffy mid layer that I take instead of a Fleece - with the rain coat on top to stop the wind or rain.

Do you mind being cold? I am cold averse so I carry the fleece and the sleeping bag. Other people don't mind the cold so they take a sleep sheet and no fleece.

What is your preference???

My preference is to keep cool during hot days and stay warm during chilly nights and mornings… Ok, I am only joking – I know what you mean :)

I generally deal better with the heat than with the cold, so I will bring the fleece or some puffy layer anyway.

It is down to personal preference. I have heavier weight fleece's but find they are too warm when walking and used in layering. The trick is thin layers so you can alter them according to how warm or cool you get. The light weight (or micro fleece) I use when walking is ideal but I always have a standby layer to add in the evening or if I stop for a period and start to cool down.
Getting your kit right is part of the enjoyment and I am sure you will reach a compromise between weight and warmth that you are happy with.
Maybe this will further help I am starting the Camino Levante at the end of the month and in anticipation of warm temperatures - but allowing for cooler moments I am taking:
2 x Base Layer T shirts (168g each), 1 long sleeve base layer (222g to add another layer for evening/altitude), 1 micro fleece (which now I have checked is 286g) plus my waterproof/windproof jacket 576g. I am absolutely confident that this is all I will need for the top half. There are plenty of kit lists that other pilgrims have posted and all are worth having a look at to compare .
Give my regards to The Mermaid - have not seen her for quite a few years.
Don.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not taken a fleece. I take a silk base layer for under my clothing if needed, a small wool/polyester vest and a raincoat. If evenings are chilly, the base layer and vest have been sufficient for me, and they are lighter and less bulky.

Having done 3 caminos there is no way on earth I would leave without my extra light fleece. Despite hot days the nights can be very cool and windy (especially if you're on a mountain top); besides if you're like me, a very early morning walker, you'll need your fleece for at least 2 hours - early morning walking is cold despite how hot the day will be....more so if you start out crossing woodland/forest. Also use it as a pillow when none are available. It's become a trusted friend. Do some research. For example I have a home near SJPD and in our local sports shop I discovered you can get a light weight unisex one for €10. (I only mention cost because they are ridiculously inexpenisive). Sadly these aren't available in SJPD itself, so that won't help you ....but the point is look around your local area for a light weight fleece. I roll mine up like a sausage and use 3 rubber bands to compress it- 2 on each side and one in the middle. Then place it in the middle of my pack. Hardly takes up any room and the weight is negligible given its efficacy. I see you'll be walking in September. September is a very unusual month- even if the days are extremely hot the nights will definitely be cold and the mornings crisp. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I pressed the reply button too soon. Sorry. I forgot to mention, on average There is increasing cloud cover in September. The other thing I should point out is that in September the days get significantly shorter in Spain as they do where I am just over the boarder. But ultimately it's your decision.

Last edited:
Thanks Giopomerol, that's good information.
Sadly, in my part of the world, it seems that the thinner and lighter a fleece is, the more expensive it is. But I will look further into the matter.

I find fleece bulky and sweaty as they don't breathe. We always use merino tops (and leggings) as they are lightweight and warm, you can wear then as layers or a tshirt. They used to be hard to get in Europe but easy now with internet shopping. You can always tell a kiwi as they will be wearing icebreaker on macpac merino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The early weeks of September will be hot and dry. Later in the month, though, the weather starts to transition. In addition to the options already mentioned, you might consider a vest (ie, a sleeveless jacket) of microfleece, also a merino wool Tshirt. It all depends on your personal heating/cooling preferences, and your luck with the weather.

A long sleeved baselayer midweight shirt, and a down or synthetic vest. Light weight and versatile.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am on the final preparations for my Camino on the Frances from end of August through September, and after many training walks with my backpack, I admit I am getting a bit hysterical about weight. I have gradually worked my way down to about 7,5 kilos now (just slightly above the “magical” 10% of body weight), and I am considering leaving my fleece behind – I mean it’s still 400 grams! I bring a rain-jacket and I was wondering if that would not be sufficient on chilly mornings and rainy days?
I walked in September and October of 2015. I definitely needed the fleece later on in my Camino. In fact, the one item I left behind that I wished I had brought was my lightweight Smartwool sweater. I picked up a second fleece in Burgos.

You'll need a fleece to wrap around that bottle of cold beer that you bought in the town and want to open while your enjoying the views at the top of the next hill !

That's a good argument for bringing a fleece if I ever heard one!
(Don't leave the bottle on the hill top ;))

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sadly, in my part of the world, it seems that the thinner and lighter a fleece is, the more expensive it is.

I've found this too - the ultra light fleeces are often ultra heavy on the wallet! I usually take a merino base layer instead of a fleece. The Decathlon ones are good value and while not as good quality as e.g. Ice Breaker, they are more than good enough for a Camino.

One or two lightweight ski base layers such as this should keep you warm and snug. Walking in late autumn/winter I always wear one and keep one dry for evening.

Happy packing and Buen camino!
That is unbelievable! £3.99!! That's cheaper than a t shirt at an op shop where I come from.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
if your concerned about the 10% of body weight rule and the weight of your intended fleece is 400g. You could put on an extra 4kg and all would be good .

Try from Decathlon in Sweden.

Thanks mspath, I actually did just that right when I saw your first post. They only ship within Sweden! - it seems to be a general policy?
But I just ordered a reasonably priced lightweight microfleece (15 Euro), so I hope I will be good....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
if your concerned about the 10% of body weight rule and the weight of your intended fleece is 400g. You could put on an extra 4kg and all would be good .

Yeah, I guess that's one possible solution...
I am not so concerned with the 10%-of-body-weight rule as I am concerned with getting the weight as low as possible.

I just returned from a full-pack hike thinking that stuff had to go, and had settled on the fleece as an easy choice. Hmmmm. o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On a lighter note, 'fleece' in this part of the world conjures up an image of a shearng shed and what has just come of the sheeps back.

I return to Estella-Lizarra early October (mid Autumn there) to continue to Muxia/Fisterra via SdC.

So it is late winter here. And I like to keep warm.

My regime for pre-dawn training starts is:

first layer: short sleeve merino wool T shirt - about 120 gram
second layer: long sleeve merino top - about 160 gram
third layer: long sleeve bikers wind cheater jacket - about 160 gram

on my head:
1) beanie over the ears
2) wide brimmed cooton hat over that

on my hands:
merino gloves

Usually down to one or two layers after an hour or so.

The answer is in the layers. If needed I have another merino T shirt and a poncho for additional layers.

I developed my regime during training and applied it April/May last year in France.

So a jacket made from chipped soft drink bottles is not needed.

If you are looking for some sort of definitive answer you won't get it here. I advise you to check the numerous packing lists that appear in the forum and glean from those what you will. I think you will find as many opinions as you will find people.:D

No, I didn't expect any definite answers, I expected just what I got: Different preferences from different people, and so I can make my own (informed) choices from that and my own experiences.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does your pack weight include water and an emergency snack? I would bring it and donate/share it if and when it becomes burdensome (unless it has sentimental value) ... it's American consumerism thinking, I know ... but I'd rather have something and not need it, rather than not having it and needing it - even if I had to carry it 800 Kms .

I've also found this helpful (and fun). I'm glad I went on a trial run fully loaded (even if I looked like a bit of a fop on Acadia National Park's Ocean Path along side the JFK-airport's worth cast of tourists who were bearing day packs at most). Really helped me to accept the common-sense advice I've read here but didn't grasp the importance of.

Looking for the magic combo of:
  1. Minimal
  2. Double-duty
  3. Layers
Rather than something specific for any reasonable circumstance.

I "run hot" - often making it through Maine winters without ever putting on my heavy coat. So fleece - to get back to this specific topic - replaced by merino wool long sleeve shirt and rain shell combo.

For this moment, anyway.

This rookie's advice to anyone pondering these questions is to fully load up and find a place to try a few miles.

Does your pack weight include water and an emergency snack? I would bring it and donate/share it if and when it becomes burdensome (unless it has sentimental value) ... it's American consumerism thinking, I know ... but I'd rather have something and not need it, rather than not having it and needing it - even if I had to carry it 800 Kms .

You’re unique! Most people on this forum seem to think the other way around: Rather bring too little and then buy on the way if you need something (Camino consumerism).

My backpack weight of 7,5 kilos is without water. I intend to bring 3/4 of a liter (800 grams including bottle). With my newly purchased microfleece of 225 grams (Danish consumerism), the total including water will be slightly above 8 kilos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the same time in 2015. A long sleeve was good enough for me and I did have "the packa" as a raincoat. But there were a few mornings when it was chilly enough to warrant one.. my teeth chattered until the sun and my pace picked up. But I made it without. A knit cap sewn by the nuns in carrion saved me

You’re unique! Most people on this forum seem to think the other way around: Rather bring too little and then buy on the way if you need something (Camino consumerism).

My backpack weight of 7,5 kilos is without water. I intend to bring 3/4 of a liter (800 grams including bottle). With my newly purchased microfleece of 225 grams (Danish consumerism), the total including water will be slightly above 8 kilos.

That's why most people are broke. everything on the road is costs more compared to when one buys it at "home" (wherever home is) ... there are exceptions of course. Not everything can be bought at "home" (ex: trying to buy winter clothes in the tropics - it's easier the other way around) and on certain rare occasions I've encountered stuff on sale on the road (then again, it's rarely my size) ... the key when traveling is to return safe and sound - with more insight and wisdom ... AND return home with more money in your pocket than if you bought everything on the road ...

Most people on this forum seem to think the other way around: Rather bring too little and then buy on the way if you need something (Camino consumerism).
There might be a tendency for a vocal few to advocate such a position, but I don't think I would reach the conclusion that they represent most of us. There are also strong advocates for what might be called 'sufficiency' - enough without being too much. Enough water to get between towns and fonts, enough blister repair kit to repair a blister for a day or so, because you won't find a convenient pharmacy open at the time that you actually are in a town or village, snacks that will sustain you when your energy levels are low, etc, etc, etc.

And there is nothing wrong, in my view, with purchasing durable items along the way. To suggest that this is some form of consumerism just doesn't make sense to me. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to profligately spend money on things that will just result in an unnecessary burden for several hundred kilometres. I would be interested if you have actually seen this happen, or you are merely deducing that it is a possibility.

I think there is some tendency for people on the forum to get so fixated on the idea of reducing the weight and bulk of their pack that they make highly dubious packing decisions: the never-ending question of "should I bring a sleeping bag or just a liner" for autumn or spring caminos or "should I bring waterproofs or just trust to luck and dry my gear each night?". An issue made all the more difficult when so many people walk the caminos with no prior experience of long-distance walking and therefore rely on the many contradictory opinions expressed here. I feel that common sense and self-preservation should lead to what @dougfitz describes as "sufficiency". If I think it is very likely that I will need something in particular, or my safety and comfort are at risk without it, then it will be in my rucksack from day 1. But accidents happen and sometimes gear is damaged or lost and must be replaced. I do not see that as "consumerism".

There might be a tendency for a vocal few to advocate such a position, but I don't think I would reach the conclusion that they represent most of us. There are also strong advocates for what might be called 'sufficiency' - enough without being too much. Enough water to get between towns and fonts, enough blister repair kit to repair a blister for a day or so, because you won't find a convenient pharmacy open at the time that you actually are in a town or village, snacks that will sustain you when your energy levels are low, etc, etc, etc.

And there is nothing wrong, in my view, with purchasing durable items along the way. To suggest that this is some form of consumerism just doesn't make sense to me. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to profligately spend money on things that will just result in an unnecessary burden for several hundred kilometres. I would be interested if you have actually seen this happen, or you are merely deducing that it is a possibility.
Plus the hostels themselves have donotivo boxes of things "let behind" I left and partook

I think you are over-interpreting somewhat here. The word “consumerism” was only meant as a (slightly ironic) reference to a previous post using the phrase “American consumerism”.

Apart from that, I agree that my use of the words “Most people” was too much of a generalization and I recognize the concept of “sufficiency".

Hope that clears the air..

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Most people have already given perfect advice so I'll just tell a cautionary tale....My first camino was hot start to finish. My rain mac never appeared and my fleece was virtually redundant. The following year I packed the same kit. Pyrenees were fine but cool morning and evening, the Rioja etc was very hot, the Meseta was soooo hot we were sleeping in our underwear and not caring who saw us, so I eventually forwarded my sleeping bag, fleece, large rain mac, heavier weight socks (and even my Brierly) to Ivar in santiago to be collect on arrival, and bought a sleeping bag liner, lighter socks, a lightweight shrug and an ultra light rain mac. Cool - Rucksack down to about 6kg. Just before La Faba the weather turned, the heavens opened and my night in O'Cebreiro was the coldest I ever remember being. I had on all my clothes, was wrapped in my liner, was wearing my sarong like a shroud and shivered all night. It was sort of like that the rest of the way. This was end of July.

When it cools down at night and you aren't moving it can sometimes get cold. Most albergues will have blankets - the Xunta ones in Galicia don't so extra layers can be invaluable. I would also start walking at around 6:15 each morning which is fairly standard with many Pilgrims and that first hour and a half can be chilly.

I'm leaving in ten days to do Portugues and have an extra light long sleeve yoga top and an extra light fleece to layer up with - and this time the lightweight sleeping bag is back in. Galicia is too unpredictable for me. Whatever you do you will have a fabulous time and you can indeed buy stuff along the way if you get it wrong ( just at a premium !) Buen Camino

Thanks Gillyweb, it sounds like you had just about everything weather-wise.
That's what I am trying to prepare for - and still keeping the weight low. Not so easy but I am down to 6,5 kg now ;)

When preparing for the Camino, yes, the temp can change drastically. A rain coat only keeps moisture in so shortly after using a raincoat where a fleece is best will let you kind of swim as you walk, lol.

Craghoppers have a number of light fleece pullovers or jackets that can be less than half the weight of your present fleece. Late September can present the Peregrino with cold winds and rain where both fleece and rainwear are necessary.

Finally, weight of pack is relative and the 10% rule is also relative. Imagine cutting weight down to half of what it is now? Try it on a training walk. Pack 4 to 4.5 kilos and compare. It will take you to previously unimagined levels of austerity. But, no need to cut off the toothbrush handle.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When preparing for the Camino, yes, the temp can change drastically. A rain coat only keeps moisture in so shortly after using a raincoat where a fleece is best will let you kind of swim as you walk, lol.

Craghoppers have a number of light fleece pullovers or jackets that can be less than half the weight of your present fleece. Late September can present the Peregrino with cold winds and rain where both fleece and rainwear are necessary.

Finally, weight of pack is relative and the 10% rule is also relative. Imagine cutting weight down to half of what it is now? Try it on a training walk. Pack 4 to 4.5 kilos and compare. It will take you to previously unimagined levels of austerity. But, no need to cut off the toothbrush handle.
I thought it was bad luck to brush your teeth on the Way

By hard prioritization and my newly purchased microfleece (225 grams) I am down to a backpack of 6,5 kilos now, and as my backpack itself weighs close to 1,7 kilos (not so lightweight), the weight of the content is only 4,8 kilos. I think I will have to live with that, and it actually feels quite comfortable. In addition, I carry a bum-bag of 800 grams – and then some water of course.

I have a travel-toothbrush in two sections that can be clicked together, so I won’t have to cut the handle off, I can just leave half of it at home :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.