• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I need a Head Torch?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do recommend a "frog light" [that's a brand, but you can get any one that you like] for the back of your pack when it's foggy. Your local outfitter will sell them -- and they are only a few dollars (starting about $5 I think)... a small red lamp that secures with a silicone loop.

I *always* turn mine on in fog. You might be surprised by how many foggy mornings there are! (Quite beautiful too!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think taking a small headlamp is a good idea. Even better if you use a red light inside. And best is not wearing the headlamp in sleeping quarters. Hold it as a regular light there, collect your things, get away from everyone and then wear the headlamp while packing quietly and then walking.

Just a small movement of the head will shine headlamp light all over an albergue.

I'm starting my Camino Frances on 22 May and was wondering if I will need a head torch, I plan to start walking around 7:00am each day?

Thanks - Steve
Before I left NZ for my first Camino I had planned to leave around 7am each day. Promptly revised that once I got there and discovered the heat. Then I was glad of my torch as I walked early to get some kms in before the day heated up.
The second time I was there in May, it was 43 degrees C when I arrived in Santiago on the 2nd June. Ive walked September and May - never in a cool month.
The early mornings are very pleasant to walk in, and I love watching the day come to life.
When you walk early, always do a recce the night before so you know the way out in the morning.
You need the head torch to find the arrows once you are out of town.
Of course if you are used to that sort of heat, it may not bother you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi

You don't need one,

Some people started early and waked up everybody and I with their lovely headlamp and I could not recover sleep or when I could others more lovely headlmap wake me up again. Next time, Instead of being grumpy because I can't recover sleep and/or I don't have myself a beautiful headlamp like theirs; I will bring mine to be able to walk with these funny people maybe they know something I don't about the dawn.

When I walked the Camino Francés in October/November 2021 I did not carry a headtorch and did not miss it. Very occasionally I used either the flashlight app on my phone or the light from the phone's home screen. But normally, situations without any source of light are quite rare, even in the darker half of the year when I walked.

A few times I started walking in the hour before dawn and I noticed that even if there was still next to no natural light, I felt more comfortable without a torch, because then my eyes adapted and I had a better awareness of my surroundings. Somehow I even felt safer... I did however turn on the flashlight when walking alongside a road with traffic.

So all this considered, I'd say a headtorch is not needed. But I also agree with the point made above that this is not a decision you are stuck with: you can easily buy one on the way, or the opposite - you can leave it in one of those 'for other pilgrims' baskets in albergues if you do not need it and want to get rid of it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Steve, you'll be walking during the lightest time of the year.
So you might find yourself wanting to start earlier, stay cool and catch the sunrise. But even then you'd be OK without one.
For me, my small cheap rechargeable headtorch with a red light is always in my kit. There've been plenty of times it's proved useful, even essential.
If you remain unconvinced, you might just want to start off without one, knowing you'll find plenty of outlets along the way where you can pick one up. Small towns on the CF all have a sports goods shop.
For instance, if you are walking the CF from Saint Jean, there's a Decathlon in central Pamplona. Their full-featured rechargeable head torches sell from about 10 euro.

If you haven't needed a head torch in the past two months then you won't need one on the Way. If you have needed one then perhaps your particular situation benefits from one.

I have never needed one but have been annoyed a couple of times by other people using them.

Maybe. Maybe not! It depends on if you plan to do any early morning and/or night hiking. I brought mine - just in case. I think I only used it once. And in that instance... I woke up startled from a deep sleep and quietly hurried out of my room with my stuff and into the street to begin my walk. Moments after the door shut behind me, I realized it was much darker than usual and if I recall correctly - it was only 4:30 in the AM! Oh my! Of course, the door behind me locked as it shut and I was now left outside with nothing to do except for begin my walk. It was pretty dark in the city but pitch black once I got outside the city borders lol. Anyhow, my early morning walk was only the result of being startled awake from a deep sleep - and I was disoriented just enough to think it was later than it really was. But boy, was I glad I had my headlamp with! While I hope not to have a repeat of this incident - I will definitely bring a headlamp! Oh... what you will need more is a very small LED light that isn't too bright to help you find something in your room. I use a tiny one that attaches to a keychain. It doesn't shine across the room, just lights up the immediate area just enough that you can find what you are looking for. I tried not to use it - but it does come in handy. It was very small and weighed just a couple grams.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked 6 caminos and never needed a head torch once, in spite of plenty of pre-dawn starts.

But I've lost count of the number of times I've been bothered by someone else using a torch in a dark albergue dorm room.

Leave it home, please.
It's possible to bring a headlight for the purpose of using it for an early start without using it inside the albergue and annoying others.
I've only needed one a couple of times to use on the trail during a heatwave to start walking before the sun was up, and I've never flashed it around the dorm.

We bought two rechargeable headlamps (USB) from amazon for circa $20 with 1200 lumens. They are lighter than the battery operated and have red lights, as well as several whitelight settings and flashers. Lots of options. Waterproof. And a quick motion sensor turnoff.

We hiked each of our four CF beginning in Sept. Unless breakfast was included in the room price (private rooms last two caminos), we began walking at 7 am when it was still dark. We would not consider a camino without a head torch. There were several occasions in which we encountered other pilgrims hiking in total and complete darkness. One time I stated "Peligro, necessite un luz". This was hiking up a steep trail with a narrow path and steep dropoff only a few feet away. The pilgrim said he didn't need a light. Another time as we were hiking out of Triacastela early morning, there was a pilgrim standing by the trailhead, without a light. Cindi and I began our climb, and the pilgrim immediately hovered just behind Cindi, almost tripping her. We finally reached the top and stopped. He walked past us without saying a word! He was unsafe for himself and us. Next time we'll just stop and let the person pass. A headtorch is small and doesn't way much. Well worth bringing along. Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've walked 6 caminos and never needed a head torch once, in spite of plenty of pre-dawn starts.

But I've lost count of the number of times I've been bothered by someone else using a torch in a dark albergue dorm room.

Leave it home, please.
I think you are lucky and maybe have younger eyes haha. I have started many mornings when it is pitch black out and always use my head lamp on the camino. Don't want to miss an arrow but more importantly for me I don't want to step in small potholes (or anything similar) or trip over or twist an ankle on roots or stones on the path. I always try to have everything in my pack so all I need to put back in my pack is my sleeping bag, toothbrush, ear plugs and water bottle.. Lately and in the future I walk starting in late October. This year I may even start in December. I have all my winter clothes out on top of my pack and ready to put on. For light I use my cell phone and have it facing down to the floor and at half power. I don't think I disturb anyone. I only lift it up to check on top of and under my bed to see if I left anything. I think it can be done quietly. Any repacking or general screw up where I need to do some further packing or arranging can be done out of the sleeping areas if necessary. But you are 1000% correct I have been bothered many times by people rustling, packing, lighting the room like it is a night baseball game and not even whispering but talking. Usually my ear plugs block the noise but sometimes they are not needed, but those lights can't be blocked for me. No I won't wear eye shades.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We hiked each of our four CF beginning in Sept. Unless breakfast was included in the room price (private rooms last two caminos), we began walking at 7 am when it was still dark. We would not consider a camino without a head torch. There were several occasions in which we encountered other pilgrims hiking in total and complete darkness. One time I stated "Peligro, necessite un luz". This was hiking up a steep trail with a narrow path and steep dropoff only a few feet away. The pilgrim said he didn't need a light. Another time as we were hiking out of Triacastela early morning, there was a pilgrim standing by the trailhead, without a light. Cindi and I began our climb, and the pilgrim immediately hovered just behind Cindi, almost tripping her. We finally reached the top and stopped. He walked past us without saying a word! He was unsafe for himself and us. Next time we'll just stop and let the person pass. A headtorch is small and doesn't way much. Well worth bringing along. Bob

I consider it a safety essential. What if you hit a heat wave and or your albergue’s electricity goes out (it happens) or something happens and you get delayed. You have more flexibility having it!

More Stuff.
I have been camino-ing since the stone age and somehow have survived all that time without ever putting on a head torch. For a while I had a collection of head torches in a drawer that pilgrims left behind, because they found they didn't need them, either.
It is true that if your normal patterns are to walk after the sun rises, in high season,with comfortable temperatures, the likelihood is you will not use it. However,if you are traveling when you could face extreme heat or off season,when the sunrises later, you will see many pilgrims using them.

I consider it a safety essential.
For all those purposes, I use a tiny LED - the kind that can go on a keychain. They even come with both red and white light. They are more than adequate for finding stuff in the dark, either in an albergue or on the way.

It is true that if your normal patterns are to walk after the sun rises, in high season,with comfortable temperatures, the likelihood is you will not use it. However,if you are traveling when you could face extreme heat or off season,when the sunrises later, you will see many pilgrims using them.
I see pilgrims using headlights. I don't use them. Never have. I think sometimes they give pilgrims a false sense of security. I see pilgrims with their little lights on, walking in the pre-dawn mist along the berm of the twisty, hilly N-120 highway in their dark clothing. They are almost invisible. They can see OK, so they assume they can be seen as well. It can be terrifying to drive in the early morning from Moratinos to Carrion, where the Camino trail runs a couple of meters parallel to the road, but the pilgrims are not walking on the trail. They are walking along the edge of the road. Because the trail is uneven, and in the dark THEY CAN'T SEE WHERE THEY ARE GOING. Real smart.
If you feel you must walk in the dark, for whatever reason, PLEASE wear reflective clothing, and stay on the trail... DON'T walk along the edge of the highway in the dark.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked early in the morning because we were in a heatwave. We used our headlamps quite a few times. I would take one again. However, if you are not an early riser, you won't need one.

Please, for safety and etiquette, if you are walking in the dark wearing a headlamp and you come upon other people either take the lamp off to hold it pointing to the ground just in front of you or switch the lamp to a red light. Please do this whether you are passing or approaching. A bright white light shining in peoples' eyes will ruin their night vision. Red light not so much.

And while on the subject of walking in the dark early morning hours please put on the rubber ends of your trekking poles so the clacking of poles doesn't rob the town residents of their sleep.

Last edited:
And while on the subject of walking in the dark early morning hours please put on the rubber ends of your trekking poles so the clacking of poles doesn't rob the town residents of their sleep.

Always when walking through the villages and towns IMO . But yes, especially in the morning!
As a fellow walker it irritated me immensely.
Imagine being a local resident. I would take out the water hose!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
by season for me:
Spring- no, I could start walking usually around 6:45 am and never needed a headlamp.
Summer: Yes, most start walking very early and are done by noon to escape the heat.
Fall: if any of your fall Camino is in Oct., then yes. The sun isn’t coming up until 8:30 until the time change late in the month.

So you are starting late spring but crossing over into summer depending on how many days you plan to walk or how many km you plan to walk each day may sway your decision. If you plan to walk 20 ish per day you will be able to start/stop before it’s too hot. If you are walking longer days and need to start early then take one. You should be in Galicia by later in June so you should have passed through the Meseta before it’s too hot. As others have said you will have opportunities to purchase one in the larger towns if needed so just don’t worry about it. What a beautiful time to walk!!! Buen Camino!

I’ve always had one. Getting down from a top bunk in the middle of the night to use the bathroom would be lethal for me otherwise. Let common sense guide as far as use in the Alberques. From some of the responses it appears there must be a gang that uses headlamps to interrogate sleeping pilgrims.

We take the small silicone cased led lights. They slip onto a finger for nocturnal perambulations in the albergue. A red one is fine at night.
As an alternative to head torches, I find the Panasonic hands free neck light works better than a head torch. It hangs down to chest height and is more stable than a torch on my forehead. They're about $15 on Amazon USA.

I'm starting my Camino Frances on 22 May and was wondering if I will need a head torch, I plan to start walking around 7:00am each day?

Thanks - Steve
Noooo. Light enough.
Head torches are my pet hate.
You are trying to drift off to sleep.
Someone decides to put one on to rummage in their pack or read. In the process they move their head around in all directions and you keep on getting periodic blasts of intense light shining straight into eyes. The annoyance creeps in and you can't get to sleep. You lie there fuming, eventually others drift off to sleep, then the snoring starts....you have missed your chance of a good night.
I just carry a tiny discreet torch, enough to lead me to the loo at night. I almost never have had to use it and I organise my stuff earlier in evening, so I only have to slip into bed without a fuss, so as not to disturb others.

I carried a small headlight that offers both red and white variable intensity lights, is waterproof, and weighs slightly less than 2 ounces. I slept with it around my neck so I would have it if needed during the night. Sometimes the bathroom facilities are located in a separate building. Also, I was surprised with how fast the lights go out in some of the bathroom stalls. One may find themselves sitting on a low toilet, too low for the motion detector to detect frantic waving. Depending on your personal "current events", it may not be an opportune time to stand. Bring the headlamp "just in case". Regarding early morning rising, I did most of my packing the night before and only used a low-intensity red light if needed to be sure I had everything packed.

€46,-
I remember walking out of Najera, and looking back which I seldom did. There was a whole line of winking lights from headlamps as far as I could see.
I found its very easy to miss an arrow without a light.

No.
It will be plenty of light at 07:00. For getting to the bathromm in the night, the the light from the display of your phone is sufficient.
Nothing worse than being woken up by somebodies head torch...
Mine is adjustable for angle so doesn't shine in other peoples eyes anyway!¬

Whether I am in a Refugio or private accommodation I am long gone by 7 am.

Buen Camino.

I prefer walking in the pre-dawn dark so a headlamp is a necessity and usually there are very few pilgies on the go at 4.30 am. Thank God! The peace and silence is wonderful :)

Samarkand.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Consider a small flashlight, preferably one with a narrow beam to reduce one's chances of incurring the wrath of others when in close quarters, as is too easily done with a headlamp or broad source phone light.

I prefer lights with selectable brightness levels and have settled upon a narrow beam version of the "Zebra" brand light that uses a single AA cell. Zebra's brightness levels range from just sufficient for close work with dark adapted eyes to bright enough to spot a wilderness trail at 50 paces - one just holds down the button switch to cycle from dim to bright, releasing at the desired level. The individual levels are customizable, if one wants. Zebras come in axial and side beam versions and include a head strap for when one wants to be hands-off.

Lighter weight and nearly as convenient are single AAA cell lights with 3 fixed levels, there are many of these on-line for ~ $10-15. Look for one with a narrow beam.

Both types can be "locked off" by a slightly loosening their caps, to prevent draining the cells with inadvertent turn-ons.

it's also handy to carry a few "pinch lights" attached to jacket zipper tabs.

Headlamp cons:

1. Their illumination doesn't reveal depth well - because the light source and one's eyes are in close proximity, one doesn't see the shadows behind rocks and roots waiting to trip you, or the curb you're about to step off. In contrast, a light held at waist level or to the side does much better.

2. With a light on one's head, it's too easy to give others an eye-full.

I
Consider a small flashlight, preferably one with a narrow beam to reduce one's chances of incurring the wrath of others when in close quarters, as is too easily done with a headlamp or broad source phone light.

I prefer lights with selectable brightness levels and have settled upon a narrow beam version of the "Zebra" brand light that uses a single AA cell. Zebra's brightness levels range from just sufficient for close work with dark adapted eyes to bright enough to spot a wilderness trail at 50 paces - one just holds down the button switch to cycle from dim to bright, releasing at the desired level. The individual levels are customizable, if one wants. Zebras come in axial and side beam versions and include a head strap for when one wants to be hands-off.

Lighter weight and nearly as convenient are single AAA cell lights with 3 fixed levels, there are many of these on-line for ~ $10-15. Look for one with a narrow beam.

Both types can be "locked off" by a slightly loosening their caps, to prevent draining the cells with inadvertent turn-ons.

it's also handy to carry a few "pinch lights" attached to jacket zipper tabs.

Headlamp cons:

1. Their illumination doesn't reveal depth well - because the light source and one's eyes are in close proximity, one doesn't see the shadows behind rocks and roots waiting to trip you, or the curb you're about to step off. In contrast, a light held at waist level or to the side does much better.

2. With a light on one's head, it's too easy to give others an eye-full.
i carry both. For the hand held torch just a little led with a single AAA battery.

Thanks - Steve
Regarding the camino walking itself, if you're a late starter, it will be light all day. If you're like me, up at 5am, ready to hit the road no later than 6am, I use a headlamp. My wife uses a small flashlight with a strong beam. Either is fine. In an albergue, if you are a typical male who must make a visit during the night, the red light on the headlamp will guide you there and back without disturbing those who are sawing zzzzz's.

Walking through forests early , or on the pathway out of Rabanal in the dark I was grateful for mine. I have now acquired a rechargeable version . It all depends on daylight hours snd temperature forecasts…

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some people have mentioned rechargable batteries. I don't know much about these yet but there are rechargeable AA lithium batteries (and maybe AAA batteries too) that use USB cables for charging. Lithium batteries are lightweight and you are likely already carrying a USB charger so you may want to look into this product. Here's a suggested search term:
rechargeable usb aa lithium battery

Ok wait. But there are all the straps and stuff. Sometimes a handheld “flashlight” is convenient. Sometimes putting the light on your head is also more convenient.
Agree. That was sort of my point. Having a headlamp does not mean that you must wave it around on your head in an albergue!

Ok wait. But there are all the straps and stuff. Sometimes a handheld “flashlight” is convenient. Sometimes putting the light on your head is also more convenient.
My wife swears by her little flashlight and considers using a headlamp a male thing. She's right, of course. :)

Some people have mentioned rechargable batteries. I don't know much about these yet but there are rechargeable AA lithium batteries (and maybe AAA batteries too) that use USB cables for charging. Lithium batteries are lightweight and you are likely already carrying a USB charger so you may want to look into this product. Here's a suggested search term:
rechargeable usb aa lithium battery
Agreed. I left out the lithium thing but it does surely cut weight down. In my experience a hand held flashlight will last an entire Camino with a single lithium AAA battery. I’d use that on the flashlight. On my headlamp, however, love to recharge.

€46,-
I carry a basic one charged by two AAA batteries and I carry a spare set. I keep it all in a ziplock bag in an outer pocket of my pack. Very lightweight and while I don't use everyday on the Camino it does come in handy sometimes and I end up using it enough times to justify carrying it. I recommend having one.

I carry a basic one charged by two AAA batteries and I carry a spare set. I keep it all in a ziplock bag in an outer pocket of my pack. Very lightweight and while I don't use everyday on the Camino it does come in handy sometimes and I end up using it enough times to justify carrying it. I recommend having one.
My head torch is very lightweight, and the new batteries I put in just before the Camino lasted me the whole time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe it is because I am short-sighted and used to navigating myself around obstacles that I can barely see but I find that there is always enough ambient light even inside albergues and certainly outside there is always enough light to see safely without a torch of any form.

In fact using any type of torch reduces my ability to see safely because it it reduces my field of vision to just that area that is lit and I lose my peripheral vision.

My head torch is very lightweight, and the new batteries I put in just before the Camino lasted me the whole time.
I'm sure mine would too, but I just carry an extra set of batteries for the hell of it. Two AAAs are nothing and I'm not a gram counter when I walk the Camino. I start off with two big bars of soap and a full sized tube of toothpaste. Just don't feel like looking for more too soon, lol. Besides, they're consumables. A bit slower in disappearing than say a bag of peanuts or biscuits, but still disappear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No.

Bring a small flashlight - I use a small wind-up, solar powered one that hangs off my backpack during the day - to have in an emergency. But you will inadvertently bring scorn upon scorn upon your head when you accidentally flash someone sleeping (or trying to) with your headlamp, without realizing it.

Not that we pilgrims aren't a forgiving folk, but we do like/need/are protective of our sleeping time.

There's a very simple solution to this head lamp or no head lamp question.
If you bring one, only wear it on your head when you are outside the albergue.
Never in a room where others are sleeping.
If you absolutely must use it in a dorm room, put it on the lowest possible setting, or preferably red light if your head lamp has that option. Then cup it in your hand and keep it from shining on sleeping pilgrims.

€83,-
I’m with @trecile above. There are ways to use the headlamp that are less disruptive.

As for whether you need to bring it, I would say absolutely. It has more than enough practical uses and a few safety ones as well.

It is also worth mentioning that you don’t really know your schedule before you come. I would wager that the Camino has manufactured many pre-dawn walkers out of reluctant early-risers.

I have often seen people walking along with their head torches on when I am comfortably walking without a torch and can see perfectly well. Your eyes will adjust very quickly to low light levels if you let them and then you will be able to see all around you and not just the spotlight. In fact on clear nights when there is a moon you can walk all night without a torch. Always frustrating when I am walking in the early morning and someone shines a torch in my directions as it spoils my night vision.

Thanks - Steve
I have used a headlamp on other long hikes (Appalachian Trail, Via Francigena) but didn’t on the Norte-Primitivo and didn’t miss it at all. For me, it’s just another piece of unnecessary, redundant gear. Used my phone light a few times. Walking this year, but again without my headlamp.

€83,-
I do recommend a "frog light" [that's a brand, but you can get any one that you like] for the back of your pack when it's foggy. Your local outfitter will sell them -- and they are only a few dollars (starting about $5 I think)... a small red lamp that secures with a silicone loop.

I *always* turn mine on in fog. You might be surprised by how many foggy mornings there are! (Quite beautiful too!)
Decathalon sell these very cheap

Ok wait. I see all the “no” replies about whether to carry a headlamp. Here’s my deal, I may meet up with some crazy friends who like to go out early. Like before the sun comes up. Or not. Whatever. Nice to have it around. Low cost and low weight.

I consider my headlamp to be an essential safety item to signal my presence to motorists in the event of low light, fog, or other conditions that result in poor visibility. I notice that many drivers give me a wide berth when they see my headlamp. By making myself more visible, I give them more time to react.

At the very least, a headlamp gives me some peace of mind. I can't say for sure that it enabled me to avoid injury, but I know that I saved at another pilgrim by using it. He was having an extended phone conversation in bed after lights out. I stood at the end of his bunk and shone a focused beam of light in his face, which upset him greatly and put an end to his call. The following day, another pilgrim told me "That was a smart thing you did, shining your headlamp at that inconsiderate ******. I was on the point of getting out of my bunk to hit him." He was not kidding.

Bottom line - Headlamps can prevent injury. They're most valuable for alerting motorists to your presence on roads. Using them in darkened dorm rooms is the next worst thing to yabbering on your phone when everyone else is trying to sleep.

Thanks - Steve
Please do yourself and other pilgrims a great favor by taking a head torch with dimmable red and white lights, which can be had from $15-30 and weighs 1 to 3 ounces. Don't think you can pack up in the dark efficiently using one hand while the other holds mobile phone. I have been awakened many more times by the brilliant mobile phone light waiving around while the pilgrim makes all kinds of racket and takes twice as much time as necessary to get out of the albergue. I have done 7 Caminos and absolutely try to avoid walking in the dark, but inevitably, there are those mornings/night in the dark, and its much better not to be encumbered holding mobile in one hand using trekking poles. I have one head torch which takes 2 AAA batteries, taken on 5 caminos, it lasted about a year (multiple travels in Europe and USA) on each set of batteries. I took a 2 oz USB rechargeable on last Camino. Too much extra weight some say?? My pack without food and water is 10 lbs. I have done Caminos in April, May, June, July, September and October using that gear.

Thanks - Steve
Hello Steve, you won't need a head lamp if you start hiking around 7 a.m. Zip. However, I'm glad I took a head lamp as I realized the wonderful dimension of hiking earlier in the morning - uncrowded and under tranquil, star lit heavens. Where there is a ying , there is a yang. Rover

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.