• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will I regret this?

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Last year I returned from Santiago along the Frances to StJpdP and then continued along the west coast of France to Roscoff in Brittany. I took the ferry to Cork and left my bike with my son who lives there.

I was so taken with the charm and beauty of France that I had decided to return there and spend a month or more cycling the wonderful designated tracks along canals and rivers. I leave in 3 weeks, and I’m already wondering how I will fare without the Field of Stars beckoning me on to a goal I have become accustomed to every year since 2012. Crikey, I’ll be a tourist instead of a pilgrim! I don’t know how I’ll handle that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Crikey, I’ll be a tourist instead of a pilgrim! I don’t know how I’ll handle that.
:) Other pilgrimage destinations are available! Why not pick yourself somewhere interesting along the canals or rivers that you want to cycle - preferably somewhere with a good solid religious back story - and tell yourself that is where you are heading. Though not necessarily by the most direct or obvious route ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have always loved the trip along the Canal Du Midi and have followed it both ways in the camper several times. If you were to do Med to Atlantic and then take the train from Bordeaux to Bayonne you are pretty much set for the Norte or the Frances. Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Buen Camino.

Other pilgrimage destinations are available!
In fact, Bradypuss, I will be going to Le Puy en Velays. I understand there is wonderful pilgrim centre and museum there. Not to mention that spectacular cathedral. So maybe that will be the moment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have always loved the trip along the Canal Du Midi and have followed it both ways in the camper several times. If you were to do Med to Atlantic and then take the train from Bordeaux to Bayonne you are pretty much set for the Norte or the Frances. Whatever you decide, enjoy.
Buen Camino.
I’ve pretty much committed myself to the round-trip, but I will indeed be following the Canal du Midi, heading for Bordeaux, then all points north back to Roscoff. Next year I guess!

Non, rien de rien, non, je ne regrette rien,
Ni le bien qu’on ma fait, ni le mal...

Search out the Marion pilgrimage sites?

There are Saints relics scattered all over France, surely some will be close enough to your path to turn your route into a pilgrimage.

Bon chemin.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve pretty much committed myself to the round-trip, but I will indeed be following the Canal du Midi, heading for Bordeaux, then all points north back to Roscoff. Next year I guess!
I can’t remember the name of it, but there IS a pilgrimage in Brittany, France, which goes from one founding church to the next. I think it is seven churches? When I was in Plouézec last year there was a big feast to welcome the priest and all the pilgrims as they passed through,

Several years ago, I cycled from La Rochelle to Biarritz on mostly dedicated cycling paths along the western coast of France, past beaches and sunflower fields, through forests and Les Landes. The route was mostly flat; a couple times we had to take a ferry and there were a couple long bridges to ride over. It was beautiful and safe. There were private accommodations and hotels along the way that were not very expensive. I suspect that there would have been many pilgrims walking to Santiago on this route in the early history of the Camino de Santiago because of the (mostly) easy walking. Check it out!

Last edited:
Last year I returned from Santiago along the Frances to StJpdP and then continued along the west coast of France to Roscoff in Brittany. I took the ferry to Cork and left my bike with my son who lives there.

I was so taken with the charm and beauty of France that I had decided to return there and spend a month or more cycling the wonderful designated tracks along canals and rivers. I leave in 3 weeks, and I’m already wondering how I will fare without the Field of Stars beckoning me on to a goal I have become accustomed to every year since 2012. Crikey, I’ll be a tourist instead of a pilgrim! I don’t know how I’ll handle that.

My dear friend, there are literally countless sites to see and observe near the Canal du Midi. I am confident that you will find a few, or even many, destinations to draw you ever forward. It is certain that many of us have a holy envy for the things you will see and experience. Please do not forget to share your journey with us.
I pray the wind will ever be at your back,

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.