• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will it be hot in August on Camino?

roamingpaddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,I resume my Camino at Burgos August 11th and hope to finish about 3 stages past Leon.
Will it be very hot mid August and also how early can I begin at this time of year? Will it be very busy at this time ?
I can only do the Camino in stages as I mind my grandkids a lot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sunrise in Logrono on 11th Aug is at 7:12am but there would be plenty enough light at 6:30am to be walking. This would help counter the effects of the (oppressive) heat because at a typical pace one could finish a 24km day by 12:30pm, prior to the hottest part of the day. However, you will likely hear many other early shift walkers departing well before this time during the annual 'bed race' event.

Sunrise in Logrono on 11th Aug is at 7:12am but there would be plenty enough light at 6:30am to be walking. This would help counter the effects of the (oppressive) heat because at a typical pace one could finish a 24km day by 12:30pm, prior to the hottest part of the day. However, you will likely hear many other early shift walkers departing well before this time during the annual 'bed race' event.

Poops I don't like the sound of that! Bed race event :) my previous walks were in September/October.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will it be very busy at this time?
The busiest months on the Francés - if you look at the statistics - are normally May, June & September. Before I left may 22nd this year, I was also a bit unsecure, whether I would always find a bunk each night, because I was going to walk in May and June this year.

I never had a problem finding an albergue. I usually arrived between 2 and 4 p.m. I seldomly stayed in any major stop of the Camino which Brierly or other pilgrim guides prefer. In small pueblos I never had a problem finding a bed.

If you want to walk late into the afternoon, after 4 p.m., I'd think about booking in advance. Otherwise I don't think you'll have problems finding a place to stay, if you're flexible and your budget includes a stay in a pension, hostel or hotel once in a while.

If you actually don't find a place to stay, there'll always be the possiblity to take a taxi to the next place which will cost about 1 Euro a kilometer. Since the stops on the Francés between pueblos are usually not more than 10 to 12 kilometers apart, this will probably won't bust your budget, if that happens once in a while.

I'm pretty confident that you can count on it to be hot in August. It certainly was when we walked the Frances in 2016, and I think the overall trend has been to hotter summers rather than cooler ones. We tried to be on the road before 6:00 to avoid as much as possible the afternoon heat. That did mean starting in the dark often but the upside was some really beautiful star-filled night skies. Away from the city light pollution the night sky is very beautiful and on a pilgrim schedule you are unlikely to see it before bed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Logrono to Fromista during the middle of August last year. Most days were between 28 and 32 degrees with a beautiful Meseta wind... I found it very pleasant weather to walk in... and best of all it was very quiet, usually 5 -10 pilgrims in the albergues at night. This year I will continue from Fromista to Sarria for 2 weeks starting the 3rd week of August.

Paul

I walked from Logrono to Fromista during the middle of August last year. Most days were between 28 and 32 degrees with a beautiful Meseta wind... I found it very pleasant weather to walk in... and best of all it was very quiet, usually 5 -10 pilgrims in the albergues at night. This year I will continue from Fromista to Sarria for 2 weeks starting the 3rd week of August.

Paul
Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I cycled Camino Frances in second half of August years ago. It was very hot - way over 30 degrees and busy. I was ok mostly because I started in France where it was 36 degrees...

The stage between Buros and Leon does not have shadow of shadow (Welcome to Meseta Central) so bear it in mind. Hat and glasses are obligatory. Judging by the photo you have only to invest in a hat.

You can get a 10 day weather forecast for Burgos by clicking HERE. At present they're saying 31 degrees for Saturday 3rd August but you can see that peak comes at 5pm - you can move that vertical line (red? sorry, colour blind!) back and forth. So at 1pm it's "only" 27 degrees - if it were me I'd plan to get my walking over by then.
Forecast for the weather up until 7th August shows it cooling off a few degrees see HERE
Carry lots of water and if it gets too heavy . . . drink it!

Bí curamach

I'm pretty confident that you can count on it to be hot in August. It certainly was when we walked the Frances in 2016, and I think the overall trend has been to hotter summers rather than cooler ones. We tried to be on the road before 6:00 to avoid as much as possible the afternoon heat. That did mean starting in the dark often but the upside was some really beautiful star-filled night skies. Away from the city light pollution the night sky is very beautiful and on a pilgrim schedule you are unlikely to see it before bed.
I chuckle each time I see this topic about how hot it is on the Camino. I currently am training for my Camino next month and when I begin my morning walks the tempartue is already hovering about 80 f/ 26.7 C by the end of my hike about two hours later temps are in the low 90's F or around 33 C. That being said I am training for the heat as the rest of the day I am in air conditioned comfort. Heat is relative to where you live. Now I will have to get use to the humidity as it is very low where I live. Either way, hydrate and have fun.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cycled Camino Frances in second half of August years ago. It was very hot - way over 30 degrees and busy. I was ok mostly because I started in France where it was 36 degrees...

The stage between Buros and Leon does not have shadow of shadow (Welcome to Meseta Central) so bear it in mind. Hat and glasses are obligatory. Judging by the photo you have only to invest in a hat.
Thanks for that Kat.I hoping for snow :)

I chuckle each time I see this topic about how hot it is on the Camino. I currently am training for my Camino next month and when I begin my morning walks the tempartue is already hovering about 80 f/ 26.7 C by the end of my hike about two hours later temps are in the low 90's F or around 33 C. That being said I am training for the heat as the rest of the day I am in air conditioned comfort. Heat is relative to where you live. Now I will have to get use to the humidity as it is very low where I live. Either way, hydrate and have fun.
Unless there was rain the night before, I never experienced much humidity on the Camino Frances.

You can get a 10 day weather forecast for Burgos by clicking HERE. At present they're saying 31 degrees for Saturday 3rd August but you can see that peak comes at 5pm - you can move that vertical line (red? sorry, colour blind!) back and forth. So at 1pm it's "only" 27 degrees - if it were me I'd plan to get my walking over by then.
Forecast for the weather up until 7th August shows it cooling off a few degrees see HERE
Carry lots of water and if it gets too heavy . . . drink it!

Bí curamach
Thank you Jeff

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.