• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will it EVER slow down?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suppose you are talking about the amount of people on the Camino.
If it doesn't, is it a bad thing or just different?

*hugs*

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It has definitely changed. The original Pilgrims made the pilgrimage out of seeking spiritual devotion and insight. There are many that still walk for that reason, but many don't. Of course the crowded procession has helped the economy in many of the rural communities and all of Spain.

Where I am it’s been calm—started Saturday from Pamplona and just stopped at the first Albuergue I spotted and immediately got a bed. I am a very slow walker (took me from 6:15 to 4:30 to walk from Villamayor de Monjardín to Viana today, granted with two long coffee breaks) but despite my snail’s pace I have been lucky so far with beds. Fingers crossed this continues!

Just reminiscing about "the old days" and wondering . . .
I don't think it will slow down on the Camino frances any time soon ...we reached Santiago on Saturday and the pilgrims arriving from the CF were unbelievable...mostly groups of students ....from Sarria I presume but maybe further back
Same on Sunday

Well we just walked the Invierno, and in 9 days we only met about 7 pilgrims ...when we reached The Sanabres at Laxe, the last 3 days..... the numbers increased somewhat but certainly not crowded.

At the Outerio albergue on the last day we learned that just 4 pilgrims had stayed there the night before.
In Sillida,(VDLP) the proprietor of the restaurant next to the albergue said that numbers were greatly down from the same time last year
So maybe it's just the CF that is finding increasing numbers

We also met a hospitalero from the Norte and he told us that there are many web sites now telling people that it's a cheap holiday to walk the CF ....as donitivo albergues are free to stay in!!!

Just don't get me started on this subject
Best wishes
Annette

I'm on the mozarabe writing this in the albergue la fondacio/casa rural in moclin..on my own of course. Owner left the key under a bucket and said sleep where you like. There are 3 f loors with about three separate bedrooms..all singles with sheets pillows and a towel on each bed. Top floor has lounge,pool table and ping pong...plus a washing machine.Dowstairs is large dining room with 3 large sofas and a large table. Nice outdoor seating area...and a bbq. Fully equipped kitchen with 2 big fridges. €20..pay carlos in the supermarket. I signed my self in..first person since 28/6. Never ceases to amaze me the mania for doing the cf...my first one was vdlp....be brave!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm worried about 2021.

I recommend that anyone worried about 2021 walk in 2020 instead, then perhaps plan to volunteer for the ACC either at the Pilgrim Office as I do, or in an albergue staffed by them. You can obtain information on the Pilgrim Office web page.

As an alternative, your national pilgrim association may staff one or more albergues. You might choose to offer your services as a volunteer through them.

Working to help pilgrims is an excellent way to give back, for all the Camino has meant to you. I always get far more out of the volunteer experience than I put into it.

The third alternative, if you simply MUST walk a Camino in 2021, is to walk a lesser used route, at a hip season time of year. Just stay the heck away from the Camino Frances, especially from Sarria.

IMHO, I anticipate a continuous flow of pilgrims more or less from dawn to dusk along this route from Semana Santa through the autumn frost. It could look like a football match getting out...:eek:

Personally, I am not planning to walk in 2021. Instead I plan to offer my services for a second month of volunteer work. I am thinking the first stint would be from Semana Santa for four weeks. My second stint is my usual month-long tour from mid-July to mid-August.

In fact, I depart on Thursday 11 July, arrive at Santiago on the 12th, and start working on the 15th. I plan. budget and look forward to this "time off for good behavior" all year.

Hope this helps the dialog.

@t2andreo ... Do you know if the 2020 schedule is available yet? I would love to volunteer but I have to book my holiday in advance so I'm now planning for summer 2020. I seem to remember you saying the weeks are fixed (first 2 weeks and the second 2 weeks)? I'm worried that my dates won't fit in that window but it would be good to check? I'm doing a 3 week Spanish immersion course in January to help improve my Spanish and I'd like to come in June ...I don't mind what I do, I would just love to give some time and help?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am attaching the 2019 two-week ACC volunteer bracket schedule. The 2020 brackets will not be available until late this calendar year.

The ACC has all it can do to get through THIS year without worrying too much about NEXT year.

That is why I am trying to generate interest in volunteering next year, and beyond...

See the attached .pdf file (below) for the 2019 brackets. Extrapolate from there using a 2020 calendar.

NOTE: The standard two-week volunteer periods ALWAYS start on a Monday and end two weeks later, also on the Monday. Technically, it is 15-calendar days. You report the first Monday morning with your luggage. At 14:00 that day, you have access to the volunteer flat. So, I would not show up until after noon.

On the final day, also the Monday, you must be out of the flat by 10:00. You can bring your baggage to the office until later. Actually, you don't work the first or last Mondays. However, you can, if you choose, come early and stay late. I usually do.

I usually arrive at Santiago a few days early, to get the lay of things, before I start work, staying in commercial lodging. I do the same thing on the back end. Others arrive in Santiago the Monday morning of the first week, going directly from the airport train or bus station to the office, and depart Santiago on the afternoon of the final Monday. It's up to you. But I always use the opportunity to renew friendships, see things, and just enjoy being there.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ACC calendario - 2019.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 97
I'm on the mozarabe writing this in the albergue la fondacio/casa rural in moclin..on my own of course. Owner left the key under a bucket and said sleep where you like. There are 3 f loors with about three separate bedrooms..all singles with sheets pillows and a towel on each bed. Top floor has lounge,pool table and ping pong...plus a washing machine.Dowstairs is large dining room with 3 large sofas and a large table. Nice outdoor seating area...and a bbq. Fully equipped kitchen with 2 big fridges. €20..pay carlos in the supermarket. I signed my self in..first person since 28/6. Never ceases to amaze me the mania for doing the cf...my first one was vdlp....be brave!

Yes, I've walked the other routes. Just wondered about the CF.

The only thing constant is change. This is a good thing for Spain, and exactly what they intended when they invested so heavily in promoting the Camino. I expect we will continue to see various routes develop to manage the numbers.

Some locals think it is a good thing.
Other's don't and complain the pilgrims are like locusts.
Just depends on who you speak with.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am attaching the 2019 two-week ACC volunteer bracket schedule. The 2020 brackets will not be available until late this calendar year.

The ACC has all it can do to get through THIS year without worrying too much about NEXT year.

That is why I am trying to generate interest in volunteering next year, and beyond...

See the attached .pdf file (below) for the 2019 brackets. Extrapolate from there using a 2020 calendar.

NOTE: The standard two-week volunteer periods ALWAYS start on a Monday and end two weeks later, also on the Monday. Technically, it is 15-calendar days. You report the first Monday morning with your luggage. At 14:00 that day, you have access to the volunteer flat. So, I would not show up until after noon.

On the final day, also the Monday, you must be out of the flat by 10:00. You can bring your baggage to the office until later. Actually, you don't work the first or last Mondays. However, you can, if you choose, come early and stay late. I usually do.

I usually arrive at Santiago a few days early, to get the lay of things, before I start work, staying in commercial lodging. I do the same thing on the back end. Others arrive in Santiago the Monday morning of the first week, going directly from the airport train or bus station to the office, and depart Santiago on the afternoon of the final Monday. It's up to you. But I always use the opportunity to renew friendships, see things, and just enjoy being there.

Hope this helps.

This is great thank you. I will try to ensure my planning means I can fit in two weeks. I really hope I can make this work in June... I already have some fixed concerts for June 2020 so I'll start planning! I'm quite excited about this... I just need to do some Hosp. Training and then I can also volunteer for this too! many thanks :)

This is great thank you. I will try to ensure my planning means I can fit in two weeks. I really hope I can make this work in June... I already have some fixed concerts for June 2020 so I'll start planning! I'm quite excited about this... I just need to do some Hosp. Training and then I can also volunteer for this too! many thanks :)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you still need to apply to ACC, be approved, and scheduled for the time slot you would prefer.

Look at my post on “Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.” Use the search function to find it. Everything you need to know is there.

Hope this helps.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you still need to apply to ACC, be approved, and scheduled for the time slot you would prefer.

Look at my post on “Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.” Use the search function to find it. Everything you need to know is there.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I totally understand ... sorry I wasn't jumping the gun... I'm really just trying to get my dates and times in order at my end so that I can apply. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I don't think it will significantly slow down any time soon. I won't say it will never slow down. It was massively walked (or ridden) for centuries and then slowed to the barest trickle. The year I did my first Camino they gave out about 5,000 compostelas, and if you look a decade before then, it was a tiny fraction of that. It has waxed and waned before and, while it is certainly currently waxing, it could wane again. I just wouldn't pin my hopes on that happening any time soon.

I don't think it will significantly slow down any time soon. I won't say it will never slow down. It was massively walked (or ridden) for centuries and then slowed to the barest trickle. The year I did my first Camino they gave out about 5,000 compostelas, and if you look a decade before then, it was a tiny fraction of that. It has waxed and wanted before and, while it is certainly currently waxing, it could wane again. I just wouldn't pin my hopes on that happening any time soon.
Wax on, wane off....

On the ingles currently and pretty quiet compared with the Frances. Seen about a dozen other pilgrims since leaving Ferrol. Reckon I saw more in 10 minutes from my bedroom window in Sarria a couple of years ago. As others have said - neither better not worse just different.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Sending my CV off today, hoping to volunteer in the autumn.
BTW, is there a thread solely for volunteering on this forum?

Just hope it is helping Spain’s economy.
Well I certainly helped in May. Eight nights accommodation in hotels and guest houses and fully enjoyed my food and drink. Only had one pilgrim’s menu in 8 days. Like others have already said, I don’t mind sharing my money with the Spaniards

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where I am it’s been calm—started Saturday from Pamplona and just stopped at the first Albuergue I spotted and immediately got a bed. I am a very slow walker (took me from 6:15 to 4:30 to walk from Villamayor de Monjardín to Viana today, granted with two long coffee breaks) but despite my snail’s pace I have been lucky so far with beds. Fingers crossed this continues!
I'm interested in your journey. Are you going all the way to Santiago? While I never thought of or intended to walk the CF in the summer, I have a daughter and son who teach and June/July is the only time they could go, and they are interested. I'm curious if it is much busier than the spring/fall, or if most of the walkers are still just going from Sarria.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm interested in your journey. Are you going all the way to Santiago? While I never thought of or intended to walk the CF in the summer, I have a daughter and son who teach and June/July is the only time they could go, and they are interested. I'm curious if it is much busier than the spring/fall, or if most of the walkers are still just going from Sarria.
In my experience, for most of the Camino Francés, until Sarria, it's less busy in the summer than Spring and Fall.

This is my plan for May/June 2020. God Willing! 😉

@t2andreo ... Do you know if the 2020 schedule is available yet? I would love to volunteer but I have to book my holiday in advance so I'm now planning for summer 2020. I seem to remember you saying the weeks are fixed (first 2 weeks and the second 2 weeks)? I'm worried that my dates won't fit in that window but it would be good to check? I'm doing a 3 week Spanish immersion course in January to help improve my Spanish and I'd like to come in June ...I don't mind what I do, I would just love to give some time and help?
May I inquire about the spanish immersion course?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May I inquire about the spanish immersion course?

I haven't 100% decided on the course provider but I am going to be in Malaga in January and there are several well recognised schools offering spanish language courses. I'm opting for 25 hours a week for 3 weeks. I think my final choice will come down to dates that their beginer courses start and my travel dates. I hope in the hope that at the end my Spanish will progress from Hola to a little more depth. My biggest problem seems to be as I learn a spanish word, it replaced the word I already know in French... I come home to France from a camino speaking a mix of French, Spanish and English... I think it might be an age thing :)

I just decided enough was enough... I need to make an effort and learn.

No, it will not. Barring a world war, global depression, or a deadly pandemic, volumes of pilgrims will only continue to increase.
You are right but there are many Caminos other than the Frances which aren't packed and they are prettier

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't 100% decided on the course provider but I am going to be in Malaga in January and there are several well recognised schools offering spanish language courses. I'm opting for 25 hours a week for 3 weeks. I think my final choice will come down to dates that their beginer courses start and my travel dates. I hope in the hope that at the end my Spanish will progress from Hola to a little more depth. My biggest problem seems to be as I learn a spanish word, it replaced the word I already know in French... I come home to France from a camino speaking a mix of French, Spanish and English... I think it might be an age thing :)

I just decided enough was enough... I need to make an effort and learn.

Usually a third language has more interference with the second language, than the first, as I recall from Lingustics.

Pssst...Just walk in winter, stay in hotels and do late starts in case a few other pilgrims are about. You'll have the Frances to yourself. You'll meet a few pilgs (Japanese and Koreans take hols in winter) in the evenings, but they'll be gone next day while you're still deciding on brekky.

If you walk really slowly you might encounter some pilgs coming from the town behind, but when they realise you're a total sloth they'll dash on ahead.

Of course, if anyone tries to out-loaf and out-dawdle you it might be necessary to come down hard. Start even later, take extra long lunches, do double rest days...

I can be very competitive with other dawdlers. It's not all churros and garlic soup out there in winter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have set up a new forum called "Looking for volunteers, interested in volunteering" under the "Miscellaneous Topics" main forum... I guess it can be used by people looking for volunteers, and those interested in volunteering.

"Casa Ivar" is fine for now... since I am a for-profit company, I think it would not be legal for me to get a volunteer since there is a law on minimum wage in Spain.

Day 20 on CF and it is way less crowded than I anticipated. No bed rushing at all. Some days I rarely see another pilgrim!
I've noticed that they had quite a heat wave a few weeks back. How hot are the albergues at night, for sleeping?

I've noticed that they had quite a heat wave a few weeks back. How hot are the albergues at night, for sleeping?
They are all different. But none I recall had ac. And there is a cultural glitch. I love sleeping with the windows open. On the HOT VDLP some years back we had pilgrims from one European country who seriously feared sleeping under an open window could cause deathly illness. Tip: get there early and get a bed under the window!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just reminiscing about "the old days" and wondering . . .

You've been walking the Camino for many years now, but I don't know if you tend to walk it in the same seasons. I walked a winter Camino (Frances) starting in January, and as far as the number of pilgrims, it was perfect. Rarely found full albergues, but there were still many people to share the experience and meals with.

You've been walking the Camino for many years now, but I don't know if you tend to walk it in the same seasons. I walked a winter Camino (Frances) starting in January, and as far as the number of pilgrims, it was perfect. Rarely found full albergues, but there were still many people to share the experience and meals with.
I haven't walked a winter Camino yet... something I'd love to do (maybe) but I tend to get sick when I get chilled, so I am a little hesitant. I should look into it...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would love the opportunity to return, crowds or no crowds. Those of you that have the option to return again or even multiple times are very lucky. Simply another way to think of it. Try not to decide how your camino is going feel before you even get there. ;)

To paraphrase Yogi Berra (and others with tongue firmly in cheek) No one walks the Camino any more, it's too crowded.

I start Camino #3 in St. Jean October 2.

They are all different. But none I recall had ac. And there is a cultural glitch. I love sleeping with the windows open. On the HOT VDLP some years back we had pilgrims from one European country who seriously feared sleeping under an open window could cause deathly illness. Tip: get there early and get a bed under the window!
Yes totally! We were sleeping in an attic area/top floor of a hostel, 3 of us, and there was a window and fan but the one young European girl insisted on closing the window and not having the fan on:( Needless to say we were quite warm.... I'm from an Eastern European background but thought it was only the older generation that were afraid of "catching a draft"!!

Supposedly the camino was filled with 10x more people during the middle ages. It cant be that bad since last year I found myself alone on the CF with nobody in sight for a mile either way multiple times.
How you view the current situation depends a lot on your expectations and your previous experience. The numbers walking the Caminos are now more than sixty times larger than they were on my first Camino Frances. On that journey I could sometimes walk for several days and cover 50 miles or more without ever seeing another pilgrim. That first walk is my personal benchmark and so I find the situation today pretty unappealing.

I am only seeing this now; apologies for such a late response. I also teach and therefore can only go July and August.
the only days I had reservations was Sarria to Santiago. (Prevention rather than actual problem). From my starting point, Pamplona, to Santiago, there really was no problem. I am a very slow walker, middle aged and fat, and I deliberately stayed “off-stage” when convenient.
i had absolutely no problems.
Twice in the WHOLE way I had an upper bunk. There were always lower bunks available when I would pop in somewhere. So I let others fret about the “bed race” and compete. I never once was concerned about a bed. Once I had to walk about 3 km farther than I had planned, but a bed was forthcoming.
HTH

I am only seeing this now; apologies for such a late response. I also teach and therefore can only go July and August.
the only days I had reservations was Sarria to Santiago. (Prevention rather than actual problem). From my starting point, Pamplona, to Santiago, there really was no problem. I am a very slow walker, middle aged and fat, and I deliberately stayed “off-stage” when convenient.
i had absolutely no problems.
Twice in the WHOLE way I had an upper bunk. There were always lower bunks available when I would pop in somewhere. So I let others fret about the “bed race” and compete. I never once was concerned about a bed. Once I had to walk about 3 km farther than I had planned, but a bed was forthcoming.
HTH
For the majority of the Camino Frances - until Sarria, there are not nearly as any pilgrims as in the May or September which are the busiest months for starting from SJPDP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

You think that's slow?

You should try my pace!

And that's further than i like to walk in a day :oops:

A couple of Spanish local newspapers currently carry an article about the decrease of the number of pilgrims in the area of Astorga. It difficult to tell on what statistical or anecdotal evidence these reports are made ☺. One such article starts as follows:

The Association of Amigos of the Camino de Santiago de Astorga reports a worrying decrease of the number of pilgrims who pass through the district of Astorga on the way to Compostela, a situation that may turn into a serious situation if no urgent measures are taken to stop the stampede [a bit of poetic licence here I guess]. However, this is not a punctual scenario because the data of the last years show a trend that in summary indicates that there are already 30 % less visitors than a decade ago.
I am suspicious of a "tendencia que suma ya un 30 % de visitantes menos que hace una década" and I'm tempted to go on a tangent about general statistical illiteracy. I guess the statement is based on something that says that the number of pilgrims registered as passing through the district of Astorga compared to the number of pilgrims registered in Santiago as receiving a Compostela is now lower than it was 10 years ago. And that could just mean that the numbers of pilgrims are still increasing around Astorga, just not as much as the numbers of pilgrims arriving in Santiago increases.

No matter what, only a minority of the hundreds of thousands per year appearing in the statistics of the pilgrims office walk the whole of the Camino Frances for example and there are no reliable data on how many walk only short sections or skip walking sections on their way to Compostela. I have a feeling that their number has increased over the years and will increase even more. There are clearly popular sections and "must dos" now as well as less popular sections, no matter how one feels about this observation. So some sections of the CF in particular see strong increases while others may see stagnation or even a slight decrease.

Also, worldwide, the numbers of people travelling for leisure continues to rise and there's a connection there, no matter how keen people are to point out that they are "pilgrims not tourists".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back