• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will the Camino be too crowded at the end of May?

Lirsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
How full do you think the Camino Frances will be, between Leon and Santiago, during the last week of May and the first of June?

I plan to start in Leon on May 24 ... but I'm still in time to move to Norte or Primitivo. I wouldn´t like to have to rush to get to the albergues as soon as possible and get a bed! I always like to take my time along the Camino, to visit places, to talk to local people,...

I am choosing the Camino Frances only because my son will join me, on his first Camino, and I think that starting with the Frances can be more interesting for him.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How full do you think the Camino Frances will be, between Leon and Santiago, during the last week of May and the first of June?

I plan to start in Leon on May 24 ... but I'm still in time to move to Norte or Primitivo. I wouldn´t like to have to rush to get to the albergues as soon as possible and get a bed! I always like to take my time along the Camino, to visit places, to talk to local people,...

I am choosing the Camino Frances only because my son will join me, on his first Camino, and I think that starting with the Frances can be more interesting for him.

Hi Lirsy,

Ascension Day and Pentecost are no official holidays in Spain so Spanish people are unlikely to take a week off to walk a part of the Camino.

Also take into consideration that the in between stops in the smaller villages do have enough space most of the time.
For instance why not walk a couple of k's further than Hospital de Orbigo to stop in the wonderful albergue of Villares de Orbigo , just to mention that one.

Happy planning!

Last edited:
Tnx SabineP,

For instance why not walk a couple of k's further than Hospital de Orbigo to stop in the wonderful albergue of Villares de Orbigo , just to mention that one.

I was planning to stop in Hospital de Orbigo, Astorga, Foncebadon, Ponferrada, Trabadelos, O Cebreiro (?), Samos,....

That is tentative. I don´t like to attach to a fix schedule!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Did same route 24May to 12Jun 2016 with adult daughter. Needed to reserve albergues day in advance and confirm same day before 16:00. Mostwere 'completo' by 15:00, But I walk slowly and daughter leaves late. Suspect if you pick route and speed to be done by 14:00, beds would be little problem
Great Camino tho.

My sister in law is on Frances west of Burgos and says they are having to book TWO days ahead to get a bed. They were told 200 to 300 per day increase from last year by pilgrim office.
Looks like a big spike in traffic,,,even after holiday.
Also seems to be a lot of theft reports on blogs I have been reading.
Glad I missed all this😁
Good luck.

My sister in law is on Frances west of Burgos and says they are having to book TWO days ahead to get a bed. They were told 200 to 300 per day increase from last year by pilgrim office.
Looks like a big spike in traffic,,,even after holiday.
Also seems to be a lot of theft reports on blogs I have been reading.
Glad I missed all this😁
Good luck.

Yikes! Is that even trying to stay in "off stage" villages?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They are trying all the tricks I could tell them. Off stage, small towns, stretch ahead, drop back, alternative routes,,, it's just crowded. Calling two days ahead is working for now.

Not much chance for spontaneous walking day distances though.😟

Tnx SabineP,

I was planning to stop in Hospital de Orbigo, Astorga, Foncebadon, Ponferrada, Trabadelos, O Cebreiro (?), Samos,....

Goodness - booking two day's ahead! We rode in 2013 and never once booked simply because we weren't sure how far we could go on any given day. We never had problems finding an albergue that could fit us in although because we were on bikes, we had to wait until all of the walkers had been given first priority.

With regard to your itinerary, my personal feeling would be to avoid stopping at the first few albergues once you have reached the top of Cebreiro (even on bikes this had been one killer hill). In our experience, because it's such a trek to the top most walkers will not feel like carrying on so they are in danger of having to pay a lot more than if they carried on a bit further along. We decided to carry on to Alto do Poio where we found two albergues opposite each other, and reasonably priced.

I start on May 22 :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you very much!!

With all this information .... it looks like I could be in problems!:oops:

I have only walked the Camino Frances during winter time (just in order to avoid this kind of problems!) and during the sumer I have always chosen the caminos in the north (Primitivo, Norte,...).

Very rarely I book in advance. I just like to walk and when I think that moving forward I would be too tired ... ok, then I stop (I usually walk between 25 and 30 km / day).

I am going to reconsider this a little and may be I take the Camino del Salvador. But as I mentioned in my first post, I think that for my son, in his first Camino, the Frances might be nicer.🤥

I started working at the Pilgrim Office for two weeks, this past Monday, after I had to cancel my planned Camino Primitivo.

What I can say is that daily arrival patterns are apparently higher than last year. I do not have the historical numbers. But, I do watch the daily volume reported at the Pilgrim Office web page.

The anecdotal reports I am getting regularly when I chat with arriving pilgrims on the queue is that THEY perceive that it is busier, especially on the Camino Frances, than THEY have seen it in previous years. The last segment from Sarria was reported to be especially busy, at least in non-Albergue accommodations.

These reports also suggest higher activity on the Portuguese, from Porto. Apparently the Tui - Santiago segment is seeing heightened interest as pilgrims see it as a viable alternative to the Sarria - Santiago segment on the Frances. The distances are the same, as regards qualifying for a Compostela.

Personally I can report that Santiago’s hotel trade is also running at fever pitch. When I had to change my plans about a month ago, to volunteer instead of walk, I could not find an affordable hotel room.

There happened to not be room for me at the Volunteer flat, as mine was a last minute change. But, I know my way around town, and how to get a decent angle room at a fair price. It was a challenge.

So, my advice is to pay attention, and book ahead as necessary.

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Everyone's experience is different. We only had an issue once during Easter. Last night the albergue we stayed at (a wonderful place, Casa de Pescadora) only had 4 of 12 beds filled. We try to avoid all major stops in the guidebooks and are usually done walking by 2 pm.

I can't decide for you what is too crowded and what isn't. For me it is too crowded. I do love th CF and I am going to walk it again this year but not until October 29th. Should be alot more mellow. I will say this you are one lucky dad to be able to walk with your son. Last year I did the Norte from Irun and started in late September. Given it is just once I can't vouch for the accuracy of the following. There was a very high percentage of young people (Under about 30 or so) on the Norte last year. Almost all European and a large number of them from Germany. Many were really doing good things with their lives and I had a great time with them even though they called me Grandpa! I can't tell you if the Norte does usually attract alot of young people or this was an anomaly. I can tell you that yes they had fun and had a few beers at night. But it was definitely not the party atmosphere that I saw the last time I walked the CF in 2014. Then there were lots of young people and many of them walked alot with hangovers or just kept partying as they walked. Again I can't say if that last part about the CF is normal now or it was just when I walked in 2014. Buen camino and count your blessings with your son!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tnx SabineP,

Casa Susie's at trabadelos is run by an Aussie florist, superb dinner, for 10. She redecorated it ...from an old mill.....Priv albergue that you can book. Loved it
Love

Last year I walked from Leon to Santiago starting May 29. The hotels were often full, but there was lots of room in the albergues. But it rained every day, so I think the Spaniards cancelled their plans to walk. People who were booked on tours were walking and filling the hotels.

We can't tell you if it will be crowded when you walk. It depends how many people are starting the same day as you. Waiting two days can change the walk completely.

I walked the Salvador last May and there aren't a lot of beds on that route. We had a group of 6 people come through - with their backpacks being moved ahead for them and that night some people had to either walk on or stay in a hotel. Fortunately the group walked quickly so we only saw them one night then they were gone.

I guess you have to ask what your son wants out of the walk. If he wants to meet people during the day, then do the Frances. The Salvador was so pretty, but really isolated during the day. We walked it over 9 days so we met different people every night, but if you walk it in 6 days you probably would stay with the same 8 - 10 people for the entire trip.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Compared to our first early April Camino in 2014, we found our late March start from Astorga this year to be much busier than we recalled 2014 being.
The bottom line is that more and more people are discovering the Camino and more of them keep coming back to either do the Frances again or other Camino routes.
More tour groups, especially on the last one hundred kilometers from Sarria or from Tui on the Portuguese are now a fact of life..
It will be interesting to see if this trend continues or at some point the popularly starts to decline again.
In any case, the Francis route is always busy in Camino 'prime time' May to late September. This is just a fact of life now.
Other routes like the Portuguese, Primitivo and del Norte routes are also busier than before.
Personally, I will now only look at very early spring (late March/ early April) or fall Camino's starting in late September or early October for any future Camino walks.

I am on the CF at the moment, just arrived in Los Arcos. The first three days from StJPdP all albergues were booked out. Even Roncesvalles with its 200+ beds. The pilgrim office in StJPdP told us that 600!!!! People started from there in May 1st. It seems that this year is a crowded one. After having to stay in more expensive places the first three nights, I have also started booking ahead since everyone was doing the same. Some albergues have been booked out 2-3 days in advance.

It sucks - and takes away the freedom and charm of walking as far as you feel like or stopping at an Albergue that appeals to you.

Last year June and July were the quietest for several years - thought to be linked with the World Cup (I believe)... thus I now realise my experience of the Frances is very different to most. Ended up on the Frances for a couple of days after walking the Vía de La Plata last week. Hostel in astorga (165 beds) completo by 4pm...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It sucks - and takes away the freedom and charm of walking as far as you feel like or stopping at an Albergue that appeals to you.
Unfortunately true. And the main pilgrimage "season" is constantly getting longer on the Camino Frances as more people choose to walk either earlier or later in the year to try and avoid the crush. They can then find themselves facing a bed shortage even in the off-season because seasonal albergues are closed and available beds do not meet the demand. A difficult situation. The Camino Frances no longer lends itself very readily to the sort of spontaneous journey that was the norm not so long ago.

I may have to suck it up and take on the heat of June or July in the future if I'm able to return. I do enjoy watching the numbers and getting updates from current states of the Frances though. I wonder when it will hit "peak camino" and either come back down and send more people to less traveled routes?

Been running into pilgrims who started in SJPP. Two told me about sleeping on the floor of the gym in Zubiri. But from Carrion on things seem to be thinning out. Most of the folks I’m running into now are winging it with no problems. A few of us just wandered around Reliegos two days ago until we found a place we wanted to stay. There were only four of us in a 12 bed room here in León last night.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today there was a HUGE group (posse) of about 40 people walking ahead of me on the serene way from Torres Del Rio to Viana ... no more serene, more like in the shopping Mall on Saturday afternoon.

Today there was a HUGE group (posse) of about 40 people walking ahead of me on the serene way from Torres Del Rio to Viana ... no more serene, more like in the shopping Mall on Saturday afternoon.

I think is happening more and more.
Last year I got the impression that the busy 'final 100 kms' is now the busy final 150 kms. From O Cebriero onwards it was like the final 100. Seemed like large school groups. That was at the end of May 2018.

BTW O Cebriero was totally booked out 3 days ahead of us. (for private rooms)
Ended up staying at Linares.

The pilgrim office in StJPdP told us that 600!!!! People started from there in May 1st. It seems that this year is a crowded one. After having to stay in more expensive places the first three nights, I have also started booking ahead since everyone was doing the same. Some albergues have been booked out 2-3 days in advance.

These are really a very bad news :(

I have never walked on the Camino Frances during spring - autumn. It seems that I will have to return to my old habits of walking only during the winter.

This time I had to adapt my vacations and the Camino to my son's vacations.

Ok .... we will survive!!!😂😂😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Was in Villares de Orbigo a couple of days ago. BTW, Christine has sold the albergue and is only there for another eleven months. She did say that all of this talk about too many people on the Frances leads to albergues like hers being half empty much of the time. It’s hard enough to make a living charging €8/night, never mind the tales of no room at the inn. There seem to be enough beds in the albergues to go around, someone I know rolled up at 6 PM the night before last in Astorga and still got a bed.

Christine has sold the albergue
Ep!! I always try to go to her albergue!! Ok ... for what you are telling me most probably I won´t have any problem paying her a last visit before she transfers the albergue!

What do people do if they turn up after 2pm or whatever time albergues are full? Is there always a gym to sleep on the floor of?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The few times it happened to me, the hospitalero phoned and found me somewhere to stay. I developed a sore knee at one point and just couldn't continue on, so I HAD to find a place right then - Once was a nice albergue not far off the beaten track, another was a mattress on an attic floor.
If you are still good to walk on a few kms, I would suggest checking Brierly and taxiing one step after his location. That normally solves it.

What do people do if they turn up after 2pm or whatever time albergues are full?
The few times it happened to me, the hospitalero phoned and found me somewhere to stay.

Yes, the most normal thing is for the hospitalero to help you find something. In my experience, the worst (or the best! :) ) was a day sleeping in a chapel in a tiny village in the mountains of Asturias. The people there were amazing and tried to accomodate me in the most comfortable way possible (this including an invitation to dine at their house!).

Sitting here outside Casa Barbadelo at 10 AM observing the”Camino Conga Line”, which has been going full clip for the last 4 hours. It’s just beginning to slow down now. Seems lots of school groups have joined in, as well as all the Aussies and Yanks (don’t worry, I’m one of them). If you like peace and quiet on the Camino, then that might be an issue, but from what I’m hearing, finding a bed probably won’t be.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you like peace and quiet on the Camino, then that might be an issue, but from what I’m hearing, finding a bed probably won’t be.

Thank you very much!!

If it was just for me ... I would go to the El Salvador and Primitivo, bt being also for my son and his girlfriend I will take the risk with the albergues!! :)

Ok, in just three days I will see what happens!!!

Keep in touch Lirsy I am interested to know how you fare as I will be just few day behind(Yipee cant wait) & wondering if I should book ahead.
Buen Camino

Ascension Day and Pentecost are no official holidays in Spain so Spanish people are unlikely to take a week off to walk a part of the Camino.

These are days of Holy Obligation, significant Feast Days, so bear in mind many people who are religious may be starting or aiming to finish their Camino on these days.

I walked last spring in May though the first two weeks of June and it was not crowded until Sarria, however, I saw many of the large groups get picked up at the end of the walking day and taken to prearranged hotels. They quit about 2 or 3. It should not be a problem to walk at those times.

Keep in touch Lirsy I am interested to know how you fare as I will be just few day behind(Yipee cant wait) & wondering if I should book ahead.

Initially I have just booked in Leon (my son and his GF will arrive late and I want to give them the opportunity to take a look to the city, for that I was needing an albergue that allows you to go out and to enter late at night).

Keep in touch Lirsy I am interested to know how you fare as I will be just few day behind

If at any time you see in any albergue a group of 4 pilgrims, 3 Spanish and 1 British, preparing a queimada .... For sure you have found us! 😂 😂 😂

Now more seriously ... I usually prepare a queimada every 3 or 4 days ... every time I find a hospitalero kind enough to give me a pot, which will be ruined during the preparation, to prepare the queimada.

Initially I have just booked in Leon (my son and his GF will arrive late and I want to give them the opportunity to take a look to the city, for that I was needing an albergue that allows you to go out and to enter late at night).

If at any time you see in any albergue a group of 4 pilgrims, 3 Spanish and 1 British, preparing a queimada .... For sure you have found us! 😂 😂 😂

Now more seriously ... I usually prepare a queimada every 3 or 4 days ... every time I find a hospitalero kind enough to give me a pot, which will be ruined during the preparation, to prepare the queimada.
If you want an albergue that will let you come and go at will, the Globtrotter Hostel is the place, but mind you, as it is just off the Cathedral square there’s a lot of noise from the street.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Fun, I love Queimada. Can I join your Camino family or at least have your recipe☺️. I will be in Leon June 13 at San Isadora.

Fun, I love Queimada. Can I join your Camino family or at least have your recipe☺. I will be in Leon June 13 at San Isadora.

By that date we will already back at work 😢 but the recipe is quite easy!!

1 l Aguardiente de orujo (I have prepared with some other VERY strong liquors like grappa, palinka, etc... it is not the same, but ... not so bad!)

150 gr sugar

1 lemon cut in 4/6 pices

some few toasted grains of coffe

Burn the mix and move it time by time (I burn it too much, up to the moment in which it becomes difficult to keep it burning ... I know that is too much, but I like that way!)

Drink it!

In theory you are suppose to say the following incantation while the queimada is burning:

Mouchos, coruxas, sapos e bruxas.
Demos, trasgos e diaños, espíritos das nevoadas veigas.
Corvos, pintigas e meigas, feitizos das menciñeiras.
Podres cañotas furadas, fogar dos vermes e alimañas.
Lume das Santas Compañas, mal de ollo, negros meigallos, cheiro dos mortos, tronos e raios.
Oubeo do can, pregón da morte, fociño do sátiro e pé do coello.
Pecadora lingua da mala muller casada cun home vello.

Averno de Satán e Belcebú, lume dos cadáveres ardentes, corpos mutilados dos indecentes, peidos dos infernais cus, ruxido da mar embravecida.
Barriga inútil da muller solteira, falar dos gatos que andan á xaneira, guedella porca da cabra mal parida.
Con este cullerón levantarei as chamas deste lume que asemella ao do inferno, e fuxirán as bruxas a cabalo das súas escobas, índose bañar na praia das areas gordas.
¡Oíde, oíde! os ruxidos que dan as que non poden deixar de queimarse no augardente, quedando así purificadas.
E cando esta queimada baixe polas nosas gorxas, quedaremos libres dos males da nosa alma e de todo embruxamento.
Forzas do ar, terra, mar e lume, a vos fago esta chamada: si e verdade que tendes mais poder que a humana xente, aquí e agora, facede cos espíritos dos amigos que estan fora, participen con nos desta queimada.

It looks like I am unable to memorize this incantation!! 😂

I leave you a link to a video

For what people tell me, there are a lot of videos in youtube from the queimadas I have prepared along the Camino .... but I have never been able to find any of them!!😅

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back