• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will the camino excitement die?

• Thread starter Deleted member 32860
  • Start date
In a lot of ways, I am the "crowd" that has descended upon The Way rather than a "True Pilgrim", but I am looking forward to remaining slowed down and finding out what I find out. I expect that I will be immersed in the small-c Catholicism that underlies the faith. And True Pilgrims. And tourists.

Please keep us informed on how you are going, by posting again perhaps with a link to this thread, because I am sure that many of us will be cheering you on.

I completed the Camino Frances on October 26, 38 days after I started. Picked up my Compostela on October 27. Of the folks I came across in my Camino entourage following completion, I was the only one who was quizzed on whether I took a taxi or bus. I was a good bit more hobbled than usual when I approached the counter, so I can proudly say that some skepticism was warranted! o_O

It was much harder than I anticipated, or fully comprehended before I started. I walked every day but one - a bed bug prophylaxis day after spying a single critter at 2 a.m. in Los Arcos (and then not sleeping the rest of the night). Averaged 13 miles/20.9 kilometers per day if you take out my Day 2 in Los Arcos.

At that distance I was pretty much traveling with the same cohort (save for the lost day), but I would arrive much later than everyone else in it.

Like other peregrinos, I could wax extensively about the experience. About the only things I feel confident suggesting are 1. Yes, Orrison is too close for the end of the first leg but stay there anyway!, 2. The favorite albergues list here is very, very good and 3. The albergues with community meals were where it's at - besides the great fellowship, the community meals offer real food. The typical pilgrim menu restaurants are decent values but they couldn't touch fresh ingredients prepared by any of the hospitaleros where I stayed with community meals. At least until you get to Galicia!

The quality of some of the albergues, given the cost and the constant turnover of bedraggled pilgrims, was astonishing. Particular shout-out to Christine at Albergue Villares de Orbigo (amazingly under-utilized spot!!!), Miguel at Casa Mágica in Villatuerta, José at Albergue Parroquial de Tosantos, Javier at La Finca in Población de Campos, and Haidi at her almost-undisclosed location. But anywhere with a community meal was special.

Small-c Catholicism was the order of the day. Day after day after day. More like Capital-E ecumenism, with a huge dollop of good will thrown in for the non-Christians. A truly receptive-to-all-comers slice of Earth.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You never know the effect you may have on somebody never knock those who you may think go on the Camino for spurious reasons.
Several people told me that they started out on a holiday, but somehow it started to become spiritual. And this was in Navarra, less than 200 kilometers from St. Jean.

those that we meet along the way who are disrespectful to others and the surroundings are put there - as one pilgrim said to me on my very first camino in 2012 - to show us how not to behave - so maybe our good example can rub off on them.
Like the place in Navarra where there is a thoroughly trampled path through a farmer's crops, saving the tramplers a mere hundred meters off a corner in the road. Sigh.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Several people told me that they started out on a holiday, but somehow it started to become spiritual. And this was in Navarra, less than 200 kilometers from St. Jean.

Many start out as tourists in the Pyrenees and end up as pilgrims in Santiago. BC SY

The sanctimonious may believe that the Camino is reserved for them ... who can say what God has in store for any one of us
"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but the Lord's purposes will prevail." Solomon, Proverbs. Another version renders it "Go ahead and make your plans, but God will get His way."

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Having just read @tjb1013 's post above, it is worth remembering what he wrote before he walked - putting the two posts together brings joy to my heart. Congratulations @tjb1013.

In 1994, I read a book about the Camino by a friend of a friend and thought, "I'm going to do that some day."

I come from a line of very religious people, although I and my immediate family had abandoned all those beliefs by then. I had recently been a religion reporter at a newspaper, though, took the job seriously (no church suppers, more theology, doctrine and coverage of inter-faith stops and starts), and gained a lot from learning about various faiths. I was reporting in a predominantly Roman Catholic part of the country, with a very liberal bishop and an increasingly conservative hierarchy (recognizing that those labels can be superficial), and it was an interesting job.

Though I had gone through the "catechism" process that Methodists had established at my boyhood church, learning about Catholicism was the "Big Leagues". :) But it was the "small-c" Catholicism that was lived by so many parishioners in that area (even the lapsed ones) that had the most profound effect on me. There was something innately "good" about it, without seeking attention or approval. Sticks with me.

In 2010, I suffered a serious illness that left me paralyzed for months, on a ventilator and feeding tube for two months, at one point unable to even blink to communicate simple 'yes' or 'no' answers. I think the common imagined response to that is to want to 'hurry up and get on with what you've been missing'. My reaction was the opposite: I wanted everything slowed down. More profound than 'stop and smell the roses'. More like some kind of desire to be the rose, if that makes any sense.

In 2011, still recovering, I hobbled through Paris and Rome. Paris first - the Louvre, d'Orsay, the Left Bank! Great trip. Rome was to be just more of a fun thing to do with an old college chum. What's the fascination with all these old churches, anyway?

As anyone that's been there knows, the 'old churches' are... beyond powerful. Caravaggio, Bernini, Michelangelo; the relics and the indulgences; the frescoes that explain it all, reading and writing skills not required; the stone country churches and the local saints. Incredible. (Shout out to Saint Fina of San Gimignano!)

But by far the biggest impact of that Italy trip was a couple of days spent in a small walled city outside Siena, visiting with a couple my friend knew from the husband's work in the States. He spoke English well, his wife was an American expat, but the people I met through them did not speak English. I do not speak Italian.

On our first night in town, we went to one of those church suppers I disdained as a journalist with seemingly the entire community. Our English-speaking friend told of how an officious-seeming woman we were watching speak to the new, young priest had succeeded in convincing him to remove an old stone-walled basin (possibly large baptismal font) from the tiny courtyard in order to make room for another picnic table. Soon after, alarmed locals presented 15th-century drawings of the church - and the font - to the city fathers, who ordered its restoration, and the priest restored it. "Did they use the same stones?" I asked. "Some," my friend smiled.

After those couple of days, I split from my friend and ventured through other parts of Italy, interacting with no one who spoke English. Everyone I came across was eager to help me find my way and meet my needs. It may have been seeing a disabled man struggling with too much luggage, but I think it was more.

I don't know what all that means, but it is kind of my own mysterious religious parable. I knew that I wanted to get to small towns in other places and meet people from other lands. It counteracts some of the trends we see in the West today, where the fierce tribalism of the early Christian Old Testament is overtaking the more inclusive, tolerant and interconnected New Testament ideas.

Three years ago, my company gave up on my recovery (my doctors had given up some months before, but my company had gone the extra mile) and fired me. I was not able to return to full-time and my job really required it, and I was not as effective even during the reduced hours I was working.

I can walk with orthotics, but nerve damage everywhere has left me somewhat hobbled and weak. I have fatigue from the illness and some cognitive issues (from the drug treatment or the insufficient oxygen provided by the ventilator -- doctors say either could be the culprit). I stay active, but my legs get numb and I can freeze up physically after stopping to rest. I'm basically at the neuropathy level I see at my octogenarian parents' retirement community. To write this post, I had to look up what I would consider some pretty simple words, and you surely would not want me doing your taxes for you in the mid-afternoon, or, if I'm honest with myself, at all (this might be a US-only metaphor - our income tax laws and forms are ridiculously complicated).

I am not sure whether I will be able to complete this Camino. I feel bad about referring to "gear shopping" in another thread, and I do believe that is not in concert with the traditions, but I have to lug a CPAP and some back-up CPAP and orthotics parts, and I really do need to find lighter stuff and shoes that can withstand 800km and the relentless stress of the connection to the orthotic devices.

In a lot of ways, I am the "crowd" that has descended upon The Way rather than a "True Pilgrim", but I am looking forward to remaining slowed down and finding out what I find out. I expect that I will be immersed in the small-c Catholicism that underlies the faith. And True Pilgrims. And tourists.

Can't wait!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was much harder than I anticipated, or fully comprehended before I started.
That is quite a common comment. :) There are regular threads from first timers who read the enthusiasm but missed the bad stuff. They complain that no one told them it was hard, although someone always points out that walking a half-marathon a day for over a month is not like weekend walks in the city park. ;)

Congratulations on finishing, and I hope you had a lot of fun in between the difficulties. I have always found it satisfying, as do most who walk.

Congrats on your completed Camino ! Your next one is planned for ???????????

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back