• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will the flowers be over by May?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
My kids were just getting excited about the prospect of blackberries the other day and I had to point out that we are not walking in autumn this time, but I promised them stunning displays of spring flowers (and am on the lookout for blackberries when we walk here in NZ now)

BUT

Friends in Germany are telling me spring has come a month early - all the flowers are out and even starting to fade already. When I get to the Voie de la Nive and Baztan in early May and back to Pamplona mid-May will they be gone? (Now where is Rebekah's crystal ball?)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope they are out for you Rachel because they're a lovely accompaniment all the Way. I don't know about this year but May 2011 was warmer than the last couple off years and flowers were everywhere. In March/April 2012 they still hadn't come out and I really missed them.

I promised them stunning displays of spring flowers

BUT

Friends in Germany are telling me spring has come a month early - all the flowers are out and even starting to fade already. When I get to the Voie de la Nive and Baztan in early May and back to Pamplona mid-May will they be gone?

If the early primroses, snowdrops and iris are finished you will still get wild broom, thyme and lavender. The cistus roses just blanket the hillside going down to Molinasecca (is it on your route?)
And of course poppies and bright blue bachelors buttons, buttercups, delphiniums, nigella.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
[quote
And of course poppies and bright blue bachelors buttons, buttercups, delphiniums, nigella.....[/quote]
Kanga the walking Botanist. What a beautiful list for us all to look forward to (2 weeks time for me).
Annie

We saw Asphodel, Orchids and many other flowers and have always walked in May. If the early flowers are finished others will be starting to flower. There was apple blossom in Grandas de Salime last year.

Last edited:
The concept of an early or late spring seems to have escaped the birds, flowers and trees in this part of Europe. We had a horrible spring last year (2013) with awfully cold rainy days during the month of May, it was still snowing in June, this year it has been very pleasant so far, i.e. close to 20 tomorrow. But try to tell that to the daffodils, they've been blooming for weeks just like they did last year at this time, the trees are leafing out just like they did last year and the pollen is horrible just like it was last year and the birds I feed every morning are just as aggressive as they were this time last year. I took the attached photo around this time last year.

Attachments

• DSC00855.JPG
    DSC00855.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 37
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kanga the walking Botanist. What a beautiful list for us all to look forward to (2 weeks time for me).
Annie

I only wish I was. But yes, for me the wild flowers are an ongoing source of delight - May on the Camino - how I envy you!

A little picture -dedicated to all pilgrims who love wild flowers. This was taken on the Jakobsweg, near Hohenschäftlarn, Germany, last year, mid march. The path was still covered by snow, so the flowers were as a little miracle, a promise of the coming spring.
I don´t know the name, I had never seen one of these, and I'd love to know.

Attachments

• flowers.png
    flowers.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
A little picture -dedicated to all pilgrims who love wild flowers. This was taken on the Jakobsweg, near Hohenschäftlarn, Germany, last year, mid march. The path was still covered by snow, so the flowers were as a little miracle, a promise of the coming spring.
I don´t know the name, I had never seen one of these, and I'd love to know.
They are crocuses, and can grow wild as well as in gardens. We have some at home but are also glad to see them as we walk locally (UK)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Am working with a Camino that begins May 26 from SJPDP. I hope we will not be too late to see some of the flowers that were mentioned.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My kids were just getting excited about the prospect of blackberries the other day and I had to point out that we are not walking in autumn this time, but I promised them stunning displays of spring flowers (and am on the lookout for blackberries when we walk here in NZ now)

BUT

Friends in Germany are telling me spring has come a month early - all the flowers are out and even starting to fade already. When I get to the Voie de la Nive and Baztan in early May and back to Pamplona mid-May will they be gone? (Now where is Rebekah's crystal ball?)

t: 199496, member: 16139"]My kids were just getting excited about the prospect of blackberries the other day and I had to point out that we are not walking in autumn this time, but I promised them stunning displays of spring flowers (and am on the lookout for blackberries when we walk here in NZ now)

BUT

Friends in Germany are telling me spring has come a month early - all the flowers are out and even starting to fade already. When I get to the Voie de la Nive and Baztan in early May and back to Pamplona mid-May will they be gone? (Now where is Rebekah's crystal ball?)[/quote]
You still would be able to see many flowers in the Pirineos mountains!
Still spring time and puppies among the crops reddish and green colors all over!
I think is a good time to enjoy nature ?
Buen Camino!

The wild flowers along the camino will be stunning in May .... I took this picture in 2011 on the Portuguese ...
View attachment 9044

... and that is a wild meadow!
I always say a prayer of thanks for all the beauty I see along the camino :)

Stunning!
This is exactly the sight I envisioned on seeing somewhere on the Camino. I hope the flowers will still be there.
Thank you for posting!

Apart from all these wild flowers that you will see, you will also be fascinated with the storks, who will be extremely busy, at least up till Leon. The kids will love watching them. Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Apart from all these wild flowers that you will see, you will also be fascinated with the storks, who will be extremely busy, at least up till Leon. The kids will love watching them. Anne

Storks?! We sometimes, rarely, see wood storks migrating through Cape May, NJ, in late May, but I never realized they may be seen along the way in Spain! Great news and a very special addition to the journey. Thanks.

Storks?! We sometimes, rarely, see wood storks migrating through Cape May, NJ, in late May, but I never realized they may be seen along the way in Spain! Great news and a very special addition to the journey. Thanks.
They can be seen on hundreds of church towers. Sometimes special poles have been made for them to use for their nests. They come back year after year and do a bit of remodeling of last year's nest and set up home once again. Anne

My guess is that there will be several rounds of spring flowers. They come, they go, more come...

Last year we saw fabulous wild flowers all through May and June, and that was with some crazy weather!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anne - aren't they amazing?!? On top of most of the churches - we have nothing like them here in the UK [well, not on the church roofs!;)]
DSCF1753.JPG

In April / May keep an eye on the sky as well as the hedgerows. Great rafts of raptors migrating North in search of a decent lunch. The sight of a sky full of eagles is seldom forgotten.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back