• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will these things ruin the Camino?

Minkey

Did anyone read this in the Times on Saturday?

I was horrified to read this at the end:

"Walks Worldwide (01524 242000, http://www.walksworldwide.com) offers a variety of ways to experience the Camino de Santiago; self-guided packages with different length itineraries, pre-booked accommodation, baggage transfers and comprehensive route notes. A seven-day trip costs from £895. Alternatively, a guided trip, which includes use of a support vehicle if you want a day off, costs from £1,520. Both include flights, transfers and some meals"

When on my first Camino, I saw day trips stopping off at certain points along the way, yeah, I guess that's fine, but I did encounter a young man who relayed the story of a day-tripper who asked if he could borrow the young fella's sack for a photo op, to look like a "real pilgrim"...

I can only see these things chipping away at the Camino... :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It bothers me a bit too, however let's remember the Camino belongs to EVERYONE and is there for every human being to enjoy. As long as people show mutual respect and empathy it is ok.

What REALLY bothers me is pilgrims or tourists littering the Camino with plastic bottles, food, cigarette buts and all kinds of garbage. This is really destroying the Camino and for years to come. :cry:

what's the problem? What exactly are they 'ruining'? They're stopping in hotels, so not getting in anyone's way. Wouldn't recommend prebooking myself as it's too inflexible, but many people prefer that sort of thing.

I was amused by the following on their website: "Melide, where the 'French Way' merges with other 'Ways' from the North, and you will note an increase in the flow of pilgrims." Ah yes, the hordes on the coastal routes overwhelming the small numbers on the Camino Frances. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I guess it shouldn't bother me, but for me the Camino is about the effort, the companionship etc... What worries me is that there may be some lee-way introduced by the runners of the refugios... That might seem unlikely to you, but there was a coachload in Puente La Reine when I was there.

Anyway, was just ranting as when I read it, it seemed to be turning the Camino into a tourism trap and although I appreciate that these things grow, I don't want it to be overwhelmed by it's own popularity... Does that make sense? I know it might come across as being terribly selfish of me, but I really think it'd be better for everyone doing it to try and keep it within some reasonable parameters, just so that the experience isn't marred for others.

Anyway! Now I've got that out of my system, life can return to normal! As you were! :)

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.