• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will we be able to find private rooms between Leon and Santiago.

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
I'm planning on walking from Leon( or Astorga) to Santiago with my son. I would prefer simple private rooms in Hostals/private homes/simple hotels. I don't even care about a private bathroom but just am a VERY poor sleeper and just like private rooms. Will we be able to find those in June or do we need to do an organized self guided walk ? (which we rather don't). We want to walk at our pace and just stop when we feel like stopping....But the fear of not finding lodging is a concern. Any advice is welcome :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will have no problem finding private accommodation. The time of year will make a bit of difference depending on the numbers on the Camino at the same time as you.
A good idea would be to get the latest Brierley guide and take an unlocked phone. The Brierley guide lists pensiones, hotels, etc. in most of the villages and towns along the way. If it is crowded you can call ahead (the same day) and insure that you have a bed.
You should stay in an albergues at least once for the experience and to be able to understand what the others are talking about. ;)

You Do Not need an organized group.

do we need to do an organized self guided walk ? (which we rather don't). We want to walk at our pace and just stop when we feel like stopping
Those are incompatible goals. Once your agent has booked your room, your schedule is set. Your luggage will be at the next accommodation, and you will have to get to it regardless of your state of mind or body.;)

You will find rooms; call ahead the day before.:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You really really REALLY dont need an organized walk. Plenty of accomodation and you will always find a room. Like falcom said, call ahead if you want to be sure, but even without callimg ahead you will always fimd something.

Don't forget, there is nothing wrong with asking to see the room before you say Yes to it. This is very normal and always honored.

I don't know about June, but in September many Pilgrims were also looking for private rooms. So as already stated, have a phone that allows you to call ahead to book and also to research what accommodations are out there. Booking.com app works well too.

I don't think you'll have problems finding private rooms as long as you're willing to pay extra. Pilgrims can be notoriously frugal and moan and complain at paying for the private albergues (usually €2-4 more) when the municipal albergues are "completo."

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Why deprive all the snorers along the Camino the option of keeping you awake all night? Sounds very un-pilgrim like of you. ;)
And I am 100% OK with depriving all snorers even if that is "un-pilgrim!" (I'm actually one of the snorers myself ;))

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good advice above. I've never really had a problem finding private rooms, but was walking a bit earlier (April or May). Cheap private rooms are generally pretty good, clean and en suite. Some may be a bit old fashioned, but hey. If private rooms are arranged through a bar, you may be led to a nearby flat or annexe (Triacastela and Palais de Rei spring to mind).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You will have no problems finding private rooms along that section. What would be helpful for you is a good route map detailing the towns and distances between them. I used the Michelin No. 160 Camino de Santiago. It is tiny (6.5 €) but loaded with detailed information, i.e Albergues and services in every single hamlet, town, and village along the Camino. I talked to many people who were using Booking.com to arrange for the next day lodging. Many, many private albergues on Booking.com. The service is free because it is the owner of the establishment who pays Booking to get their place advertised at their site. Another source of lodging info along the Camino is the brochure from Jacotrans which lists dozens of private lodgings from where they pick-up/drop-off. Even if you don't use their services, the info still relevant. A great source are local Offiuces of Tourism; they know of the private rooms at "Mama & Papa" which enhances the experience tenfold, if you ask me... Much like you, private bathroom was not a must for me. Sadly, often pilgrims leaving at dawn will take all the toilet paper with them and any supplies provided by the house. Some were the same ones who looked down on those staying at the private rooms-- obviously, because their behavior was so exemplary...;)

I did not use a guided service, always found a private room. To be honest, the Camino has got to be the best marked, well documented long distance trail in the world to do on your own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm planning on walking from Leon( or Astorga) to Santiago with my son. I would prefer simple private rooms in Hostals/private homes/simple hotels. I don't even care about a private bathroom but just am a VERY poor sleeper and just like private rooms. Will we be able to find those in June or do we need to do an organized self guided walk ? (which we rather don't). We want to walk at our pace and just stop when we feel like stopping....But the fear of not finding lodging is a concern. Any advice is welcome :)
Another booking site not mentioned is onlypilgrims.com.

I was not able to use it as there was a problem with my credit card, but I know another peregrino was very happy with the service.

We stayed in private rooms all the way from Roncesvalles to Santiago, some in Albergue's but mostly in Hostels and Casa Rural. We like a good nights sleep also. At the start we did not book ahead but when the Camino got busy later on we had to book at least one night in advance. We had a phone with us so used a mixture of booking ourselves using Brieleys Guide, Booking.com and sometimes the landlord booked for us. The Spanish people are really helpful and most of them really go out of their way to help pilgrims. Even though we stayed in private accommodation we still had a wonderful Camino and meet lots of other pilgrims. If you can afford it, do it.

W had no problem finding private rooms between Astorga and Santiago in June. We usually booked a day or two ahead. The French guide, miam miam dodo has more listings for private rooms than brierly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all your great suggestions !

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back