• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will we find Santiago de Compostela?

Belinda Keen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago from Leon 2015
Oi, tudo bem. We are walking from Porto to SdC in October. A combination of the coastal and littoral ways. I have bought Brierley's coastal guide but there is only a basic map for each section. My question is... are these caminos well marked, will we end up in SdC by finding and following the way marks or do we need some additional help? Maybe wikiloc? Obrigada Belinda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oi, tudo bem. We are walking from Porto to SdC in October. A combination of the coastal and littoral ways. I have bought Brierley's coastal guide but there is only a basic map for each section. My question is... are these caminos well marked, will we end up in SdC by finding and following the way marks or do we need some additional help? Maybe wikiloc? Obrigada Belinda
I did the walk inland and it was excellently marked all the way but I started in Corgo about 15km from barcelos. No trouble going to sdc buen camino

We are just now in Barcelos after starting the coastal route from Porto. A warning: it is extremely windy as in gusty windy so October could be cold. And the boardwalk is very hard on your feet. It's an relatively flat walk but hard surface. We changed our itinerary after 1 day of coastal route and moved inland. We were happy with the change. Lots and lots of cobblestone bit better than being blown off the route.
Good luck and Bom Caminho!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The way marking is excellent. At a junction if you take the wrong fork there's
usually a "X" to let you know you've made the wrong choice.

Since you mentioned wikiloc: I always have a backup wikiloc GPS track on my phone, no matter what trail.

As long as you stay on one of the sign posted routes, there is no way you will miss Santiago! Bon Camiño, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Coastal from Porto to Caminha and then up the river to Valenca/Tui in late May. The waymarking is good but there are a few spots where the arrows disappear. Not a major drama but still a bit confusing. I used the interactive maps on www.caminador.es and they provided excellent reassurance about where the route was taking me or which direction I should head to reconnect with the way. The arrows take you away from the coast but the maps also show a path very close to the coast.
All the best
Mel

We found the route quite well signposted this June but you could also download the maps produced by Luis Freixo. He has maps for both the inland and coastal route. You will find many links to him on this website. His maps are more detailed than Brierleys and are great in combination with each other. Wishing you well. Sheena

We walked from Lisbon last year. Once we go to Porto we decided to hug the coastline as much as possible doingthe litoral. We only had Brierley and were a bit anxious. Google maps were a great help where we had uncertainty and we visited the tourist info places in each large town we came to. They were exceptionally helpful and gave us useful maps. Brierley didn't cover a lot of where we walked. If you PM me i can send you our list of accommodation. Or you might likecto check my blog which shows where we went and the distances. Click on the Camino tab. www.travelwithjoanne.com From Porto was just the best. Buen Camino Joanne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take the Camino Spiritual!

Big place, has a tall building with spikey bits atop of it to aim for.

Seriously, it IS a slog coming in from the south - think Burgos centre - but there wasn't any problem with marking when I walked in last June apart from the heat (31 degrees!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Coastal from Porto to Caminha and then up the river to Valenca/Tui in late May. The waymarking is good but there are a few spots where the arrows disappear. Not a major drama but still a bit confusing. I used the interactive maps on www.caminador.es and they provided excellent reassurance about where the route was taking me or which direction I should head to reconnect with the way. The arrows take you away from the coast but the maps also show a path very close to the coast.
All the best
Mel
Thanks Mel, I will download and print the caminador.es maps.
We live in a very very small world... not long ago a work friend, Sonia Muir, was telling me she had had lunch with a friend from Mudgee who had just completed the Portuguese... this morning I was reading your blog and you mentioned you live in Mudgee (for some reason I initially thought you were a Brit)... yes you are one in the same.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
I seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the Hotels or Pensions may have pilgrim rates that are lower than what you see on booking.com? If this is true how common is this and do you...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back