• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Win a bottle of Johnnie Walker

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
I'm off to Santiago in the morning and in anticipation of that I thought I'd offer a bottle of your favourite tipple. All you have to do is answer these simple questions:

1 Where are these guys and what are they playing?

2 Who are these guys and where are they playing?

3 Finally what are the maiden names of the mothers of the guys in photograph 1?

This draw is open to all pilgrims past, present and future and the winner will be selected after the Pilgrims' Mass on Sunday 29th February 2009.

Attachments

• Hey you're off key.jpg
    Hey you're off key.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 944
  • No I am not off key.JPG
    No I am not off key.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 947
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The instrument is called an organistrum, and is similar to a hurdy gurdy.

According to Wikipedia, one of the earliest visual depictions of the organistrum is from the twelfth-century ´Pórtico de la Gloria (Portal of Glory) on the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain.

Hang on.. I can't see the photo to answer the 2nd question

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know about "Maiden Name" but their mother is Music and her mother is Philosophy, so perhaps her maiden name is Philosophy?
http://www.classicalliberalarts.com/cur ... enarts.htm

Or if their "mother" is Mary, perhaps her maiden name was Joaquim?

They are two of the 24 Elders of the apocolypse...

but I'll be danged if I know who these guys are or where they're playing.. ACK!

they are playing in a church, but where? And who the heck are they?

Could they be Germán Díaz and Pascal Lefevre playing in the Cathedral of Santiago?

JohnnieWalker said:
I'm off to Santiago in the morning and in anticipation of that I thought I'd offer a bottle of your favourite tipple. All you have to do is answer these simple questions:

Judging by the beards, Arn and Br David. They are playing the ancient Galician version of Mornington Crescent "O Cerbeiro" (for the uninitiated, it uses Albergues instead of Underground Stations).

Again, from Members Photos, Ian and Ivar. Spain.

Arn and David can furnish this information.

This draw is open to all pilgrims past, present and future and the winner will be selected after the Pilgrims' Mass on Sunday 29th February 2009.

Andy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry Andy - more research needed!

Do I need to start giving clues?

1 Clue - prize reduced to 1/2 bottle of JW?

2 clues - prize reduced to 1/4 bottle of JW

3 clues - prize reduced to a copa of JW

4 clues - prize reduced to a chupito of JW

5 clues - prize reduced to a whiff of JW as the prize winner drinks

Well, I thought I answered:

These guys are on the Portico of the Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela and they are playing an organistrum.

I think these guys are Germán Díaz and Pascal Lefevre playing in the Cathedral of Santiago.

The guys in Photograph 1 are Elders of the Apocolypse and their mother's maiden name is Joaquim.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JohnnieWalker said:
Sorry Andy - more research needed!
At the risk of not being able to quench thirst properly, do I just need more research on Question 3?

Are these not the same two men, when younger?

a283ys.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
JohnnieWalker said:

No I am not off key.JPG
No I am not off key.JPG (90.84 KB) Viewed 193 times

How warm am I if I say their names both begin with J?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sheesh - you folks are too clever. With Anniesantiago's powers of research and the fact that Bridget was probably present when the photo was taken....what can I say...

I'm off to the airport to escape to Santiago.

Hasta pronto.

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Annie - greetings from Santiago. I think the only fair thing is to award a prize to all entrants. Such talent!

Here is the prize. Could you pass it to the others please when you've had a drink?

Attachments

• mbc_jwalk.jpg
    mbc_jwalk.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 354
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.