• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wind down time..??

Pasha

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago may 2018
Just wondering what your opinions on wind down time once finished the Camino are?
I'm only walking from sarria to Santiago and planned on staying 1 night there but after reading comments somewhere else I'm wondering should I stay a little longer? I won't be able to stay much longer as I have to get home but maybe another night even?
Love to hear your recommendations
Paula

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you find yourself with an extra day or 2 there are busses going to Muxia or Finnesterre . I walked out to Finnesterre, & was pleasantly supprised to find busses going back t0 Santiago thru the day. Also you will find a travel shop directly west of the Cathedral that a NZ couple booked a day bus to boat ride to some Islands off the coast. I spent 2 days in Santiago very interesting fun place.

I would definitely suggest spending an extra night in Santiago.
When I finished my Camino last month I could only spend one night in Santiago due to all the hotels being booked. I won't make the same mistake ( not booking ahead of time )
I was in Spain for a month after that and did get another night in Santiago but it wasn't the same. The day was rushed do to my late arrival in Santiago that last night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I
Definitely plan on a second night in Sarria. You will have lots of new friends to hang out with!

ETA - I meant second night in Santiago!
was thinking that could happen and I might regret rushing off... thanks for reply
Paula

If you find yourself with an extra day or 2 there are busses going to Muxia or Finnesterre . I walked out to Finnesterre, & was pleasantly supprised to find busses going back t0 Santiago thru the day. Also you will find a travel shop directly west of the Cathedral that a NZ couple booked a day bus to boat ride to some Islands off the coast. I spent 2 days in Santiago very interesting fun place.
That sounds really good... I think I will book the 2nd night rather than have any regrets
Thanks for reply and helping me decide

I agree with those above. Some of the many great Camino memories I enjoy are from having time to relax in Santiago and meet up and celebrate with members of my Camino family as they came into town. The dynamic might be slightly different coming from Sarria but if it doesn't make too much of a difference I can think of no good reason not to spend an extra day, even if only to be a tourist in Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That sounds really good... I think I will book the 2nd night rather than have any regrets
I am curious how many days you have for your walk, for those of us that started in SJDP by the time we reach Sarria we have been walking for at least 3 weeks so for the most part we are use to putting in long miles. So for example if I were to return & start in Sarria my daily distances would be no where near the 35-40k I was walking after 3 weeks. It took 5 days from Sarria but if I started there I would give myself 8-9-10 due to my beer child. My theory is if you can run a 5 k keep your distance to 20k if you can run a 10k your ok to 30+k a day but listen to your body. Especially starting out.
Buen Camino
Keith

Hi Paula, a little space and margin between walking and heading home is always good, in my book. I think you'll really enjoy having 2 nights in Santiago.

Have fun with all your planning and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's a theory I haven't heard before. It doesn't apply to many of us who can't run any distance at all, but who can walk 30k. They are very different activities!
I agree. I can't run a 5k, but I can easily walk 30k in a day. While I encountered runners who struggled to walk 20k every day.

So we all have different life experience & being that I spent over 23 years in the military I have a tendency to use fitness level with running & distance. I agree if you are not a runner yet walk a lot your fitness is can be very good. Especially if you train on those walks carrying a pack. In the military it is called "train as you fight" for the Camino or anything much more peaceful "train as you want to walk"
Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just wondering what your opinions on wind down time once finished the Camino are?
I'm only walking from sarria to Santiago and planned on staying 1 night there but after reading comments somewhere else I'm wondering should I stay a little longer? I won't be able to stay much longer as I have to get home but maybe another night even?
Love to hear your recommendations
Paula
Definitely another day. We walked from SJPP but had 3 friends meet us in Sarria to begin their Camino and they had no difficulty with the days. If you go from Palas de Rei to Arzua as we did, that's the only longer than usual day but it would be day 3. We stopped in Pedruzo Arca the night before Santiago and the walk into Santiago is short from there. We started at 0530 and were in the Plaza by 1100. You'll kill the remainder of the day meeting friends, eating, waiting in line at the Pilgrims Office, etc. The extra day will give you time to see the beautiful city...go to the Market early, pick out fish or meat and veggies and there's a place that will cook it for you in the Market. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

I am curious how many days you have for your walk, for those of us that started in SJDP by the time we reach Sarria we have been walking for at least 3 weeks so for the most part we are use to putting in long miles. So for example if I were to return & start in Sarria my daily distances would be no where near the 35-40k I was walking after 3 weeks. It took 5 days from Sarria but if I started there I would give myself 8-9-10 due to my beer child. My theory is if you can run a 5 k keep your distance to 20k if you can run a 10k your ok to 30+k a day but listen to your body. Especially starting out.
Buen Camino
Keith
Thanks for reply Keith...
Just walking from sarria so 5 days walking... my original plan was to be gone 7 days... spend a night in sarria and then a night in Santiago...
but maybe stretch to 8 now and spend 2 in Santiago... no I can't run 20k or 10 lol I'm not much of a runner
I'm still finding out a lot but plan to go in may so plenty of time to get all the info I need it's really just for booking flights

Hi Paula, a little space and margin between walking and heading home is always good, in my book. I think you'll really enjoy having 2 nights in Santiago.

Have fun with all your planning and Buen Camino!
Thanks... I think I will take the 2 nights I'm glad I asked and got other opinions as I'm pretty clueless.. so all advice is very helpful and welcome
Thanks again
Paula

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's a theory I haven't heard before. It doesn't apply to many of us who can't run any distance at all, but who can walk 30k. They are very different activities!
Thank god cause I'm not a runner either lol

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back