• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wine and Beer

Micah26

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2018)
In preparation for my Camino I’ve been thinking about important things... what to drink. I do not drink alcohol much never really liked the taste. So I’m asking for some help from you experts in the Camino and alcohol a few suggestions of wine on sweet side and beer w/o the nasty aftertaste. Thank you for any and all suggestions...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In preparation for my Camino I’ve been thinking about important things... what to drink. I do not drink alcohol much never really liked the taste. So I’m asking for some help from you experts in the Camino and alcohol a few suggestions of wine on sweet side and beer w/o the nasty aftertaste. Thank you for any and all suggestions...
Of course, you can avoid wine and beer by not ordering them. However, with the Pilgrim's Menu, you will have a choice of bottled water or wine, and sometimes beer. The only choice on the wine will be red or white, and the beer, when offered, will be whatever the bar/restaurant has on tap. The white wine will generally be a bit sweeter, and likely served colder. The red will be a local bulk wine, and can be really great or like the 97 cent boxed wine from the supermarket! The water is almost always still water, and will be from one of several national brands.

It won't be on the pilgrim menu, but since you don't drink much, and like a sweeter wine, ask for tinto de verano. It's red wine (tinto) over ice, mixed with lemon soda. You might also try sangria, but I suggest tinto de verano because it has a lower alcohol content. I find it very refreshing after a long day of walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How about cider? You can get it either dry or sweet. In the US Martinelli sells a non-alcoholic but effervescent cider that you can try out before trying a fermented cider.

In Galicia, as in Asturias, you can get a traditional cider called sidra natural. The sidra natural that I've had tasted a bit vinegary but I found it pleasant none-the-less (but Peg did not care for it much.) One place where I ordered sidra natural the bartender cut a trough into a cork. He then poured the first drink with his hands spread out high and then handed me both the glass and the bottle for me to do the rest of the pours. Clearer and more bubbly ciders can also be bought in bottles with an alcohol content about the same as beer. Be careful though, I find myself drinking cider a bit too fast.

Here are a few links:
http://zesterdaily.com/drinking/asturian-cider-spanish-sidra-natural-vs-new-expression/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider#Spain

For beer you can order a shandy, a beer and lemon soda mix that you may like. I found this refreshing on hot days. I sometimes made my own by mixing my beer with a Kaz lemon soda.

In Galicia the traditional wine is a white wine. I guess the climate is better for the white wine grapes.

I found that even the really cheap supermarket boxed wine was drinkable.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We need a thread on the countless ways that one can ruin beer and wine (and coffee and tea)! My French walking buddy loved to mix rosé wine and pamplemousse, grapefruit juice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
For beer you can order a shandy, a beer and lemon soda mix that you may like. I found this refreshing on hot days. I sometimes made my own by mixing my beer with a Kaz lemon soda.
I got hooked on the shandy on draft, mostly drinking it during the day while walking. I was able to drink it fast and get back on the trail; it really hit the spot.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always ask for a Clara or a smaller Clarita! Do make sure that it is a cerveza con limon, rather than the sweet fizzy water called gaseosa. Also avoid the ready mixed variety which is more like a German 'radler' - the bars try and palm you off with this as it is easier but it nowhere tastes as good....

We need a thread on the countless ways that one can ruin beer and wine (and coffee and tea)! My French walking buddy loved to mix rosé wine and pamplemousse, grapefruit juice. :)

O yes! Here in Belgium some people ( not the ones I call my friends though ) mix a sublime Trappist beer with sticky sweet grenadine syrup.
You can almost hear the Trappist monks weep....

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I gave up beer for my walk last year for a number of reasons. Never much of a wine drinker, so I pretty much resigned myself to water. Although I rarely drink sugary soft drinks at home, I found myself craving them on the Way. I have since surmised that the strenuous effort every day left me depleted of sugar. A piece of fruit during a break was immediately noticeable, and a cold Coke, almost like taking a stimulant! I quit drinking them upon my return and really don't miss them. Being in a totally different environment under physical stress that you're not used to, try a few different choices. Remember, there are no rules. Buen Camino!

Thank you so much all who replied! I’ve made notes. I love apple cider and have had sangria not sure it’s quite the same as in U.S. I will try the beer and lemon as well. I like to eat and drink what each country offers but I’ve had a stroke and take meds so a little is alot! Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much all who replied! I’ve made notes. I love apple cider and have had sangria not sure it’s quite the same as in U.S. I will try the beer and lemon as well. I like to eat and drink what each country offers but I’ve had a stroke and take meds so a little is alot! Buen Camino

A little is alot! Wise decision. Especially with the heat and physical exhaustion .
Take good care.

Aside from recommending the 'cerveza con limon', which I think is a really refreshing and relatively easy to drink, I'd take @FrankieBallz advice - if you're walking long distance, and exerting yourself in a way you usually don't, its worth being wary of dehydration - water, occasional sugary drinks and plenty of salt with your food are a great idea, especially if you haven't finished your day's walking. Alcohol (and caffeine) act as a diuretic and can contribute to further increasing the dehydration that may already result from the strenuous exertion that you're doing....

As such, what ever you do (drink wise) its worth doing it in moderation. If you don't usually drink much alcohol, aside from sampling what the locals have to offer, why start now? Often you can happily substitute a non-alcoholic drink for the wine offered in the menu del día. As you say - sometimes, "a little is a lot"! There were a couple of days on my previous camino when I wished that I'd followed my own advice in this regard....

Buen Camino - I hope your have fun sampling the local offerings!

From bar work in my youth, Guinness and black currant cordial; from recent observation on an international workcamp, vino tinto topped up with Coca Cola. The latter practice, a Russian innovation, was cheerfully adopted by the Spanish volunteers, who really should have known better! As none of those who drank this vile potion could wake up in time for work the following morning, I imagine it might serve as a sleeping draught for insomniacs on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi , why mix the wine just for the taste.??
Drink yust 7Up or what ever non alcoholic drink.

It's cheaper anyway. ;)

Wish you well,Peter.

I never found soft drinks like Coke or 7 Up to be cheaper than wine. Quite the opposite!

I gave up beer for my walk last year for a number of reasons. Never much of a wine drinker, so I pretty much resigned myself to water. Although I rarely drink sugary soft drinks at home, I found myself craving them on the Way. I have since surmised that the strenuous effort every day left me depleted of sugar. A piece of fruit during a break was immediately noticeable, and a cold Coke, almost like taking a stimulant! I quit drinking them upon my return and really don't miss them. Being in a totally different environment under physical stress that you're not used to, try a few different choices. Remember, there are no rules. Buen Camino!

When I'm home I'll have a Coke maybe once a month or so, but on the Camino I usually had one a day. I think that I needed the quick energy that the sugar gave me. The craving went away when I returned home.

I am a fan of Aquarius (orange or lemon/lime). It has less carbonation, slightly fewer calories than Coke, and does not leave me with a giant gas bubble like soda and beer. Its electrolytes are a bit like Gatorade, but I don't think it makes any health claims (made by Coca Cola, by the way). I have this approximate priority/price list for beverages:

Tap water - free
Wine - 80 ¢
Cana beer - 80 ¢
Coffee - 1 Euro
Bottled water - 1 Euro
Cafe con leche - 1.20 Euro
Soda - 1.20 Euro
Distilled liquor - 2 Euro

Prices may vary!!!!

I am a fan of Aquarius (orange or lemon/lime). It has less carbonation, slightly fewer calories than Coke, and does not leave me with a giant gas bubble like soda and beer. Its electrolytes are a bit like Gatorade, but I don't think it makes any health claims (made by Coca Cola, by the way). I have this approximate priority/price list for beverages:

Tap water - free
Wine - 80 ¢
Cana beer - 80 ¢
Coffee - 1 Euro
Bottled water - 1 Euro
Soda - 1.20 Euro

Prices may vary!!!!
Prices definitely vary. I paid 2.50 euro for a Coke one day!

€60,-

Tap water - free
Wine - 80 ¢
Cana beer - 80 ¢
Coffee - 1 Euro
Bottled water - 1 Euro
Soda - 1.20 Euro

Prices may vary!!!!
I love the Aquarius orange. Can’t get here in the States and I do miss it.
BTW I could be wrong but there’s no combination in it?
Also is Spain non~alcholic beer will be called sin proceeded by the brand name. I’ve actually seen it on draft in some places.

I paid 2.50 euro for a Coke one day!
It can happen, and probably is happening with more frequency. By law, all prices are posted in a bar, so if you are concerned, you can check in advance. The print is small, of course!!!

This is also another reason why drinking a little wine/beer is a good choice 1. it’s the custom of the country and 2. It’s cheaper than other options. I’m sure I will adapt regardless. I will have to find something with electrolytes though maybe carry some powder additives for H2O?!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do not drink alcohol much never really liked the taste. So I’m asking for some help from you experts in the Camino and alcohol a few suggestions of wine on sweet side and beer w/o the nasty aftertaste.
Micah, why drink alcohol if you don't want to?
No-one has mentioned Kas Limon! Not as sweet as Coke, and very refreshing.
Or if you are more adventurous, try Kas bitter. It's usually used as a mixer but of course can be drunk without the alcoholic additions. I have @Rebekah Scott to thank for turning me on to this stuff, and after the first sip, I found it to be oddly addictive. Certainly it's an 'adult' soft drink, good for those who aren't thrilled by super-sweet...unlike Coke and Fanta...

Prices definitely vary. I paid 2.50 euro for a Coke one day!
Can’t believe I’m saying this but that’s highway robbery lol
After two months in Spain I still find the prices in the liquor store here in the States hard to digest. A few years back when I first met my friend from Spain he told me him and his dad went wine shopping once a year and bought a few hundred bottles of wine. At the time I didn’t realize they were spending about a 1/3 of what that would cost me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Micah26 it is commendable that you are keen on sampling local cuisine as this is a key part of travel. In most cases pilgrim meals will include cheap local wine which can be very variable. Beer or other alternative beverages need to be ordered and paid for seperately. Despite my well known love of a good brew (coffee or beer) I must admit that the only thing you really need to drink on the Camino is water, plenty of it and it's freely available from the nearest tap.

Last edited:
From bar work in my youth, Guinness and black currant cordial; from recent observation on an international workcamp, vino tinto topped up with Coca Cola. The latter practice, a Russian innovation, was cheerfully adopted by the Spanish volunteers, who really should have known better! As none of those who drank this vile potion could wake up in time for work the following morning, I imagine it might serve as a sleeping draught for insomniacs on the Camino.
Ah the dreaded Kalimotxo - discovered that in San Sebastian in the early 1970's not sure if it's an insult to the vino tinto or an improvement on the Coke (I'm a Pepsi or better still Kas Limon man myself).

If you DO go down the cider route make sure you stress the second syllable so SeeDRA; if you pronounce it like they do in the west of England it sounds like SIDA which is a whole different ball game as the Yanks say.

Saludos!

If you DO go down the cider route make sure you stress the second syllable so SeeDRA;

if you pronounce it like they do in the west of England it sounds like SIDA which is a whole different ball game as the Yanks say.

Choking on my vino tinto here, but certainly an important point to make ...
Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Micah, why drink alcohol if you don't want to?
No-one has mentioned Kas Limon! Not as sweet as Coke, and very refreshing.
Or if you are more adventurous, try Kas bitter. It's usually used as a mixer but of course can be drunk without the alcoholic additions. I have @Rebekah Scott to thank for turning me on to this stuff, and after the first sip, I found it to be oddly addictive. Certainly it's an 'adult' soft drink, good for those who aren't thrilled by super-sweet...unlike Coke and Fanta...
As they say:
upload_2017-10-7_20-37-23.png

Oddly addictive? It's what I walk the Camino for.
That and churros.
And chocolate caliente.
And the people.

Choking on my vino tinto here, but certainly an important point to make ...
Buen Camino, SY
Might have told this before but . . .
My nephew used to be a sound engineer and was setting up a stage for a performance in the Alhambra. Among his crew was a lighting engineer from the west of England, a lover of cider and keen to try out his few words of Spanish.
After they quit work one evening they stopped off into the nearest bar for a drink.
It turned out to be a gay bar and the lighting engineer quiet loudly said to the barman "Tiene sida?" (meaning to say do you sell cider) the barman looked alarmed so he repeated himself: "Tiene sida?" The barman looked angry until my nephew interjected with "No, no, no! Tiene SeeDRA! SeeDRA!" Incident defused.

I love the Aquarius orange. Can’t get here in the States and I do miss it.
BTW I could be wrong but there’s no combination in it?
Also is Spain non~alcholic beer will be called sin proceeded by the brand name. I’ve actually seen it on draft in some places.
ALL non-alcoholic beer is a sin ;) tastes bad too!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi - my father can't drink alcohol after heart surgery a few years ago but on the Camino Ingles this year we found that everywhere sold Alcohol Free Beer aka Zero Zero or Sin Alcohol.
He loved it (and now drinks at home here in Scotland) and we even came across it on draft a couple of times.
The best brand in his opinion was Estrella Galicia but there are plenty to choose from - go for it!

I am not much of a drinker either and normally don't like fizzy drinks. However in hot weather on the Via de la Plata I found myself ordering a Schweppes limón, or a Fanta one if that was all they had. It was cold and refreshing. Interestingly on the few occasions where someone tried to order white wine as part of the pilgrim meal, it carried a supplement, only red wine was included as part of the 'menu'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't drink beer (or anything carbonated) and get no enjoyment from wine. Outside of the Camino, I don't drink coffee either.

On the Camino I drank cafe con leche every day and really enjoyed the fresh squeezed orange juice. For something alcoholic, there were times in the heat after a long walk when iced sangria was very enjoyable.

We drank Kas, Aquarious, water con and sin gas, wine, cafe con leche, Coke Light, beer, and most anything else we could find. Nothing better than a hot coffee in the morning and a cool drink in the afternoon! Often bought large bottles of Kas or Aquarious at the grocery store and shared them after a long hot day of walking.

Might have told this before but . . .
My nephew used to be a sound engineer and was setting up a stage for a performance in the Alhambra. Among his crew was a lighting engineer from the west of England, a lover of cider and keen to try out his few words of Spanish.
After they quit work one evening they stopped off into the nearest bar for a drink.
It turned out to be a gay bar and the lighting engineer quiet loudly said to the barman "Tiene sida?" (meaning to say do you sell cider) the barman looked alarmed so he repeated himself: "Tiene sida?" The barman looked angry until my nephew interjected with "No, no, no! Tiene SeeDRA! SeeDRA!" Incident defused.
SIDA is the Spanish term for AIDS.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.